Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pen

Got (NHL) News

370 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Haha I'm sorry. While the Avs decade and a half of suckage has led to greatly decreased attendance, they set records for ticket sales in their day and still have some fans. The Panthers play in empty arenas every night. With the exception of a few teams,  Florida is a terrible place for professional sports teams to play.

I don't want to rip on the Avs since they're one of my other favorite teams, but you're partially right. Overall, Florida sports fans whether it be South Florida or Tampa suck. Most fans down here only support their local teams if they're winning.

With that being said, with the Panthers only making the playoffs five times since 1993 has really affected the bandwagon fan to ignore them. Not many NHL markets anywhere would overall support a team greatly with that lack of success except maybe Montreal or Toronto.

The team are on the rise after they made the playoffs last season, but it will take multiple winning years to get the fans back. See why the Lightning sell out every game with a Stanley Cup, Cup appearance, and Conference Finals appearance under their belts. Had the two teams had success reserved, you'd see the opposite happen in Tampa and Sunrise with sellouts every night down here. Look at the Tampa Bay Rays and Bucs attendance. Same as the Panthers, Marlins, and Dolphins.

Notice why there are empty seats at Miami Heat games now because they're having a rare losing season. The casual fans stopped caring.

I know Panthers fans aren't known as the best in the league, but you'd be damn wrong to say that they don't have thousands of diehard fans like me. Yes. Thousands. They're the rare ones you see in the seats.

I am a season seat owner and have not missed watching a game since 1996. I know the team's owners personally and they want nothing more than to make them a winning product for the fans that have supported them throughout the last two decades from all of years of hardship. I love the team like a member of my family and stood by them for the last 20 years unlike many others down here, which is why I take offense with comments to relocate them.

There are many teams in the league I don't care for, but I would never wish upon them to lose their team. That's just plain ignorant as every team has diehard fans. Even the Arizona Coyotes and Carolina Hurricanes who play in questionable NHL markets as well.

Quebec City will get another team at some point. Whether it be from expansion or relocation. Unfortunately, for the Hurricanes, with Peter Karmanos mentioning to a local radio station that he has interest in selling the team, I could see them moving there. They're really the only team in the next decade with that possibility with the Coyotes approving a new arena in the coming years. I guess maybe you can throw in the Islanders possibly in there too as Brooklyn is not a long-term home for them and they're trying to get a new arena in Queens.

There aren't really any other markets large enough in Canada that could be a viable option to support a team realistically long-term. There was talk of Hamilton, Saskatoon, and Regina at different points in the past, but it's very unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Seattle is really the only other market at this point that could get an expansion team on the horizon if they can build a new arena to attract an NHL and NBA franchise. Eventually, Portland, Houston, Kansas City, and others way down the line could work, but again unlikely anytime soon.

On 11/23/2016 at 8:39 PM, American_Idiot said:

There are many teams in the league I don't care for, but I would never wish upon them to lose their team. That's just plain ignorant as every team has diehard fans.

Every team has diehard fans but that doesn't mean every team should stay put just because of them. This may be a bad example because the Nats don't have great fans but I remember seeing highlights of the last Expos game and they showed a few people crying in the crowd. They played in empty stadiums every night and shouldn't have had to stay in Montreal just because 12 people in the crowd really liked them. If a team consistently gets no support from the majority of people, it's better for the sport and for the team to move the team somewhere where they might have better fans.

And I wasn't wishing for anyone to lose their team. I was just suggesting a relocation as a possibility.

14 hours ago, Mike said:

Every team has diehard fans but that doesn't mean every team should stay put just because of them. This may be a bad example because the Nats don't have great fans but I remember seeing highlights of the last Expos game and they showed a few people crying in the crowd. They played in empty stadiums every night and shouldn't have had to stay in Montreal just because 12 people in the crowd really liked them. If a team consistently gets no support from the majority of people, it's better for the sport and for the team to move the team somewhere where they might have better fans.

And I wasn't wishing for anyone to lose their team. I was just suggesting a relocation as a possibility.

The Expos though had an ownership with Jeffrey Loria that burned them to the ground. I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before it happens to the Marlins down the line as long as he owns them. Without the Panthers current ownership, I'd be shocked if they were still in South Florida as they had owners from 2000-2009 who were doing the same thing. It'll all change over the next few years as the team has more success and the fans will come out. Just like what happened in Tampa. When wins come, so do the bandwagon fans. In a way for my sake, I'm not looking forward to their hearing their uneducated dumb comments at games every night, but at least the seats will be more filled.

I am worried about the Hurricanes though. They're by far the worst in attendance this season with average crowds at 60.3% full. They have no real plan of getting better in a market that is definitely not known for hockey and an owner that wants to sell the team. If so, Quebec would very likely get them. I'm thinking Seattle will get their team by expansion in the next few years to make it an even 16/16 for 32 teams in the league.

On 11/24/2016 at 11:40 PM, NinjaNick101 said:

On the other hand, Seattle will be a nice hockey town. 

They already have an awesome team name for their minor league team...the Thunderbirds

22 hours ago, NinjaNick101 said:

Claude Julien out as Boston Bruins coach. Helped team win 2011 Stanley Cup title. 

Maybe they'd be better if the monkeys running the team didn't get rid of Tyler Seguin. He's a great coach and he'll get hired the second he wants to start coaching again. Hopefully the Avalanche get him once this woeful season has concluded.

Supposedly, two teams have already offered him a job. Personally, I'm on the fence on if I want him in Florida as I've heard he's not great with young players development. He designed the Bruins to be have a very defensive system too, which isn't exactly the case with the Panthers. We'll see what happens...

I like the logo but I'm not a huge fan of the color scheme.

Happy to see the Avs somewhat going back to their old school jerseys. I never understood why they made changes in the first place seeing as how their older design was very popular and considered among the, if not the best among the newer hockey teams.

I really like them with the slight red added to them. Since I'm a UCF Alumni and they look ridiculously similar to their logo and color scheme, that certainly doesn't hurt.

They'll have a decently good team to start their first season with Fleury in net and a few good forwards.

Everyone's freaking out in Pantherland as Vegas claimed Marchessault and traded for Reilly Smith for just a 4th round pick, but I'm willing to wait until training camp in September to say if they're going to suck or not.

As a massive hockey fan, I pay a lot of attention to news surrounding this topic. Houston has been in the rumors lately to be the frontrunner to get the next expansion team as the Rockets owner is interested in getting a team there. Seattle is still having trouble getting a proposal to get a new arena built for a NHL and NBA team, but they are probably the next likely.

I haven't really heard much about Kansas City being talked about. They have had an NHL-ready arena for the Sprint Center for quite awhile. I think the issue is that it's not a massive market and there are others such as the two I mentioned above as well as Quebec City that would be a better market to gain revenue. As much as many people want teams like the Coyotes, Hurricanes, Islanders, Panthers, etc to move, it's not happening for at least a few years. 

The crazy thing is that a new expansion team in 2019-2020 could actually save the NHL from another lockout. 

While it's super unlikely that any team will move over the next five years or so, if Houston or KC does get a team, it's probably accurate for Seattle or Quebec that relocation will be the likely possibility eventually. I can't see the NHL having 34 teams anytime soon.

I don't want any team to move, but Arizona seems the most likely to do so as they haven't been stable in many years. The Islanders are still looking for a new arena in Belmont, but it's not guaranteed yet. Carolina's ownership doesn't seem to fully be trustworthy to keep them in Raleigh.

I'm a Panthers fan and I trust our ownership as they say they're keeping them in South Florida long-term, but if years of losing keep up and they continue to lose revenue, one has to wonder how much longer will they want to keep their ownership.