Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pen

Got (MLB) News

2,960 posts in this topic

On 2/17/2020 at 3:33 PM, NinjaNick101 said:

Personally, I'm fed up with various accusations involving the Astros' sign-stealing scandal. I know this was wrong and they deserve to be punished, but it's time for athletes from multiple teams to get over it.

I kind of have mixed feelings about it. Onone hand, I feel like 90% of human beings will take shortcuts if they know they won't get caught so a lot of these guys criticising the Astros would've happily used this cheating if they were on the team and it helped them do better and win a World Series. Plus, nobody called out all the players using steroids back in the day so how can they call out a team for cheating now when no one seemed to care 20 years ago? On the other hand, the success of the Astros and the Alex Cora-led Red Sox over the past three seasons has messed things up for a lot of players and teams so I can understand why guys would continue to be upset.

Honestly I'm sick of hearing about it at this point. It's over now, punishment has been handed out, but whenever I turn on MLB Network this is all I see them talking about.

You know, steroids doesn’t bother me near as much as this did. I think Alex Wood nailed it about that point:

To me the problem is the punishment was bullshit. The MLB and the Astros are just trying to brush this under the rug without making a scene and it backfired majorly. First they didn't want to actually investigate it, then when they finally did people are saying it wasn't a thorough investigation and then the punishment was abysmal. 

If they got the punishment right it would have eventually gone away, but nope, it was a slap on the wrist. Like really, one year suspensions for the manager and GM, a $5m fine and 4 draft picks? That’s nothing. Any club would pay that for a WS win. I think play immunity is a shame, but it makes sense. A longer suspension or ban would have been nice, but I think the big thing is they needed to strip the Astros of the title. Strip them of their title and suddenly I think players and opposing fans are a lot happier with the punishment.

I think stripping them of the title would be absolutely ridiculous. Everyone knew they won it. Are they gonna remove videos from YouTube and pretend it never happened? It's pointless. Removing a World Series champion would've been a bigger black mark on MLB than the Astros.

I think the fine was dumb. There should've been no fine. Fining a billionaire $5 million is like fining me or you $10. They should've probably lost every one of their draft picks for a year or two. They also should've put the Astros under a hard salary cap for a year or two and they aren't allowing to go over it. So competing teams like the Yankees and dodgers could spend to their heart's content but the Astros would be limited with what they could do.

Oh I agree it will also be a huge black mark on the MLB, I just happen to be all for it. Everyone knows they won it, and I'm am absolutely all onboard everyone for all of time knowing they cheated and they don't get to hang the flag or have the trophy in their Hall of Fame or whatever. When you go to YouTube to look at WS highlights the comment thread is nothing but people arguing about how it doesn't count. When someone visits their ballpark in 30 years they go "Huh, they don't have any WS trophies next to their pennants and division titles, didn't they win one? Oh wait, nevermind. I remember reading about these guys, they're the ones that took cheating to the next level and got the book thrown at them." Yeah I dig that.

With that said, if their punishment was a little bit more like you said, stripping all their draft picks and a hard salary cap… I would have been totally fine with that. It would set them back for a long time, and I’d be good with that.

Yeah this is just nuts. I honestly hope the season gets canceled. If a player makes $20 million for 162 games and the season is 81 games, he should make $10 million. These cuts are insane. When owners make more money, the players don't get extra so why should the players take less when the owners make less? It's not the job of millionaires to bail out billionaires.

Billionaires love to hoard money. That's just the way life is, sadly. I feel bad for those players. Now, there is a possibility we'll have no baseball in America this year.

MLB gives green-light to 60-game season in empty parks, but...players already have Covid. Good luck with this season, guys. I bet it's going to be wiped out.

Marlins have 13 members tested positive. Games already postponed. The dominoes are falling. Not good. They really should've started a bubble league of their own like the NBA and NHL. Newest cases have been fewer in those leagues.

10 hours ago, NinjaNick101 said:

They really should've started a bubble league of their own like the NBA and NHL.

You can't expect the players to be in a bubble away from their family for summer camp, a 60 game season and then a postseason. Also, a bubble won't work for baseball or football. There are just too many players and other staff. The only sports that have a chance of finishing are this current NBA and NHL playoffs because they're temporarily in a bubble to finish the season. It won't work without the bubble and they can't go in a bubble for an entire season.

Sports leagues need to figure out what they want to do in the future because there are only three options...

1. A coronavirus vaccine is created
2. Leagues play on despite the coronavirus
3. Every sports league shuts down forever and that's the end of the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL as we know it

On 7/27/2020 at 10:56 PM, NinjaNick101 said:

Marlins have 13 members tested positive. Games already postponed. The dominoes are falling. Not good. They really should've started a bubble league of their own like the NBA and NHL. Newest cases have been fewer in those leagues.

Looks like it's 18 now. And now the Cardinals have at least two players tested positive. About six teams are affected by this, or 20% of the league.