Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pen

Got (NFL) News

9,982 posts in this topic

Nixon
[^]
:

Told u he wouldn't be going to Miami. After meeting w Harbaugh, source says Dolphins have decided that Tony Sparano is the best man for job. Will be retained.

Pretty surprising. I wonder what made Miami not want him.

Oh and Mike: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/06/mike-singletary-to-interview-with-vikings/

Your favorite coach might join the staff.

Again from Schefter:
So after looking like Michigan, then SF, then Miami, it looks like it might finish right back where it started. At Stanford. Amazing

Omar
[^]
:

Pretty surprising. I wonder what made Miami not want him.

I kinda doubt that's it, two nights ago he was surely going to SF, then last night and today it was 99% Miami, and now Miami wants their coach back? Sounds like Harbaugh scared Stanford enough into offering him a bigger contract, PLUS he gets to keep his QB. Stanford isn't gonna be as good next year, ESPECIALLY if Luck declared, so he was probably planning to move to the NFL in case his QB did. Not saying the NFL may not get him still, but you never know. And isn't the hoodie's contract like 7.5 million?

Gotta say, I was hoping the whole Luck thing was just a last ditch effort to get Harbaugh to come back. Then if it didn't work Luck would decide to declare (I can dream, he has until the 15th to change his mind).

About the Rooney Rule: Technically you can get around interviewing a minority coach, well, it's happened before. The Lions broke the rule in 2003 when they hired Steve Mariucci without interviewing any other coaches. They tried to reach out to candidates, but claimed no one would bother since everyone knew that they'd hire Mariucci anyway. The NFL fined them $200,000 and that was the end of it.

EDIT: And according to Nixon's post Schefter agrees with me about Harbs.

Nixon
[^]
:

Again from Schefter:

So after looking like Michigan, then SF, then Miami, it looks like it might finish right back where it started. At Stanford. Amazing

Wow it looks like he played Stanford just like Phobes said. Kinda smart of him to do. I rather him stay in Stanford because I honestly think he would just be another college bust while he can be a fantastic college coach.

I honestly thought the Panthers would get the Harbaugh/Luck duo. My oh my how things have changed.

Our chances with Harbaugh were never that great...mainly wishful thinking. We had people reporting that we'd talked to him, but our out of touch owner called his first press conference in years to basically call out the local media and deny any contact. Though it would be interesting to see how Steve Smith would react to taking orders from a former teammate who rode the bench and possibly carried his pads at some point, lol.

This really is a rock and a hard place situation for a us. We desperately need a QB we can build around, and I don't think that's Clausen (MAYBE Moore, but that's a big maybe). This year's draft class has four other big QB prospects: Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Mallett, Jake Locker, and Cam Newton, all of which are potential first round picks. To put that in perspective: despite the big names in last year's class, only Bradford and Clausen were considered first rounders, and only Bradford and Tebow were taken in the first.

Gabbert is the only top 5 prospect of them, and he's the one I know the least about. The other three are all very promising, and Mallett even has numbers that rival Luck's and played a tougher schedule. Newton worries me but there's no denying his talent. Since our front office is retarded and threw out our second rounder, we can't just sit and hope one of these guys is still around in the third round. If we can't get back into the second then we have to take a QB first. If we can, I'd love to pick up WR A.J. Green and shop Smitty; then there's pretty good chance at least one of these guys will still be available in the second.

Yeah I've pretty much accepted we're stuck at number one, I want to trade down if possible but I'm not too worried if we can't. I just really wanna get back in the second round somehow.

PHOBIA
[^]
:

Yeah I've pretty much accepted we're stuck at number one, I want to trade down if possible but I'm not too worried if we can't. I just really wanna get back in the second round somehow.

Who's the guy you guys ended up getting in the 3rd of last year that would warrant trading your 2nd?

Latest reports say that San Fran is currently trying to reach an agreement with Harbaugh before night's end

Since I'm a numbers guy...

2010 numbers first (Career numbers in parenthesis), in order of their projected draft placement (as of this morning).

Andrew Luck (Stanford Junior, Pac-10): 3,338 yards (5,913), 32 TDs (45), 8 Int. (12)
Blaine Gabbert (Missouri Junior, Big 12): 3,186 yards (6,822), 16 TDs (40), 9 Int. (18)
Jake Locker (Washington Senior, Pac-10): 2,265 yards (7,639), 17 TDs (53), 9 Int. (35)
Cam Newton (Auburn Junior, SEC): 2,589 yards (2,643), 28 TDs (28), 6 Int. (6)
Ryan Mallett (Arkansas Junior, SEC): 3,869 yards (8,388), 32 TDs (69), 12 Int. (24)

Mallett stacks up well against Luck despite playing in a tougher conference, which I find surprising. Now, since Luck didn't play his Freshman year, let's remove Mallet's first year stats and compare the two years they both played:

Andrew Luck (Stanford Junior, Pac-10): 3,338 yards (5,913), 32 TDs (45), 8 Int. (12)
Ryan Mallett (Arkansas Junior, SEC): 3,869 yards (7,496), 32 TDs (62), 12 Int. (19)

Mallett's a bit more turnover prone, but that's not as big of a deal when you play in the SEC. Overall he looks good. I guess, for now, he'd be my pick. All I have to go on are numbers really, I don't know much about him. Though I hear he's as dumb as a rock, lol.

Harbaugh to be introduced today as 49ers NEW head coach. Deal reported to be 5 years for $25mil

There is no reason for Miami to get rid of Sporano anyway. They are a good draft away from being a good team. Or alteast trading for a good QB. Their biggest problem is being in the toughest division.

Harty
[^]
:

There is no reason for Miami to get rid of Sporano anyway. They are a good draft away from being a good team. Or alteast trading for a good QB. Their biggest problem is being in the toughest division.

Don't worry about Sporano...He'll get rid of himself pretty soon...

flyfreak
[^]
:

Don't worry about Sporano...He'll get rid of himself pretty soon...

Why? He just needs a QB and some young talent on defense. It's not his fault he's gauranteed 4 losses a year

Harty
[^]
:

Why? He just needs a QB and some young talent on defense. It's not his fault he's gauranteed 4 losses a year

Those 4 losses guarantee his loss...

Andrew
[^]
:

Well, have fun with that Jim.

makes more sense to go there than miami where he has to play New England twice a year

San Fran is in an, overall, pretty weak conference...especially their division

JJ Watt and John Clay leave Wisconsin early.

When the time comes, would people here be interested in doing a community mock draft? We could each select a team, then go through and make their picks, in order. Could be fun.