Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pen

Got (NFL) News

10,028 posts in this topic

Yep! I only got to hear him in spurts through Redzone so it is possible he does come off annoying if you are watching/hearing it the whole game. He's doing the Patriots game this week so I guess I'll find out. My guess is CBS tells him to keep doing it because it got them publicity.

I noticed more people now are boycotting the NFL because of what they know about head injuries, concussions, CTE so they dont feel comfortable watching it anymore. I wouldnt worry about boycotts growing too much because way too many people are obsessed with fantasy football and would never give it up but certain amount of people playing dont watch the games anyway. Eventually, years from now I think football will switch to rugby rules which still has head injuries but not as many. Mainly because of how they tackle and less blindside hits. Saying football will eventually go to flag football which has no tackling seems a bit extreme though. Ultimately neither football or rugby is completely "safe" but changing rules to the slightly more safe one instead of just banning the sport all together seems like a good compromise.

Anyone else think all these players, coaches and owners protesting the anthem are massive hypocrites? Last week six people took a knee and now because Trump was talking smack 200+ people all of a sudden pretend to care about the stuff Kaepernick and others have been taking a knee for for a year. They're essentially sticking it to the president under the guise of caring about police brutality against black people.

I do stand for NFL players to do whatever they want in the national anthem. That's not going to change my opinion on certain people. They're not disrespecting the flag. They just disrespect their disrespectful leader*, who has nothing better to do than tweet bullcrap and go to red states calling out those who hate him and his crooked policies.

1 hour ago, NinjaNick101 said:

They're not disrespecting the flag. They just disrespect their disrespectful leader

Let's say I'm at game/concert/play whatever and before it starts there's a moment of silence for the victims of something bad that happened and I decide to start hooting and hollering during that moment of silence. Someone asks why I did it. And I tell them I'm protesting low wages for McDonald's employees. Is it not disrespectful to do that just because the noise I'm making is in protest of something?

I am completely apathetic to what the players want to do during the anthem. If they want to stand, if they want to sit, if they want to go Odell and imitate pissing on the floor, if they want to talk to their teammates, it's all the same to me.

The players have the freedom of speech to protest under the first amendment, the problem is the people cheering them on and supporting them only support free speech and the first amendment if they agree with it.

NFL has lots of problems anyway. Declining attendance and tv ratings and people turned off because of the violence. Fantasy Football geeks are the main thing keeping it alive. The return to LA has been a disaster so far in terms of interest.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Let's say I'm at game/concert/play whatever and before it starts there's a moment of silence for the victims of something bad that happened and I decide to start hooting and hollering during that moment of silence. Someone asks why I did it. And I tell them I'm protesting low wages for McDonald's employees. Is it not disrespectful to do that just because the noise I'm making is in protest of something?

Your version of a protest is much more invasive and intrusive to other people wanting to show their reverence than silent protest. They're not interfering with other players' ability to honor the flag/anthem how they so choose. 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Also the flag is supposed to symbolize "liberty and justice for all." What they're protesting is directly related to that. Your hypothetical McDonald's wage protest presumably has nothing to do with what the moment of silence is for.

I'm a little annoyed because I've had three cable customers in the last two days that I'm aware of contact us to have either NFL removed from their cable package and in one customer's case, all sports channels, because they're protesting against the protest.

The latter customer's husband served in the military and they felt it was disrespectful, which while I kind of get where they're coming from, I think they're also missing the point of why it's being done.

Not that it matters because we can't just strip away individual channels from their package anyway, so we end up not doing anything for them, and they walk away angry and with a grudge against us for "siding" with the protesters.

It's a very uncomfortable position to be in.

Me, personally? I feel like the teams have every right to protest how they want if it's not actively disturbing anyone as a result. Everything else is just noise.

11 minutes ago, pen said:

I'm a little annoyed because I've had three cable customers in the last two days that I'm aware of contact us to have either NFL removed from their cable package and in one customer's case, all sports channels, because they're protesting against the protest.

The latter customer's husband served in the military and they felt it was disrespectful, which while I kind of get where they're coming from, I think they're also missing the point of why it's being done.

Not that it matters because we can't just strip away individual channels from their package anyway, so we end up not doing anything for them, and they walk away angry and with a grudge against us for "siding" with the protesters.

It's a very uncomfortable position to be in.

Me, personally? I feel like the teams have every right to protest how they want if it's not actively disturbing anyone as a result. Everything else is just noise.

Can’t you just tell them to not watch? Jesus, some people. 

Just now, Omar said:

Can’t you just tell them to not watch? Jesus, some people. 

People are fucking nuts, man. Some people just live to be angry.

I feel sorry for all the little snowflakes bothered by an inoffensive, peaceful protest by a bunch of minorities who just wanna be treated like everyone else.

46 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I feel sorry for all the little snowflakes bothered by an inoffensive, peaceful protest by a bunch of minorities who just wanna be treated like everyone else.

The person who wanted all their sports channels stripped away also made sure to tell me how the Republicans were the ones who freed the slaves.

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

Hahaha. And I've noticed that those in an uproar are the same that love to use that term the most. I haven't dropped it on them yet but it's coming.

8 hours ago, Andrew said:

I wish I was treated like those millionaire minorities with their lavish lifestyles. 

35 minutes ago, Mike said:

I wish I was treated like those millionaire minorities with their lavish lifestyles. 

I really don't miss this place when I read comments like this.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

And what about the people they're protesting for? Not even getting into the assumption that because they're rich they've never been prejudiced or discriminated against which is just fucking silly. 

15 minutes ago, Andrew said:

And what about the people they're protesting for? Not even getting into the assumption that because they're rich they've never been prejudiced or discriminated against which is just fucking silly. 

No Andrew, all of the athletes were born millionaires. All of their family and friends are also pampered millionaires.

26 minutes ago, Andrew said:

No, see Andrew, the money replaces love and respect. You don't need to be treated like a human being when you have money, just like how all celebrities are never allowed to have pain and suffering because they're famous. If they are, they're just being selfish and taking what they have for granted.

I also think the Michael Bennett situation in Vegas several weeks ago with the cops proves that all the money in the world doesn't change the fact that you're black when it comes to other people fearing you unless they know you personally or at least know who you are. Michael Bennett's money/fame may have changed how the night ended, but only once the cops figured out who he was.

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

And what about the people they're protesting for?

The people this week were protesting Donald Trump. If they were protesting for anything else they wouldn't have waited a year after Kaepernick took a knee to start.