Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pen

Got (NFL) News

10,018 posts in this topic

Just now, NinjaNick101 said:

Eric Berry done for season (torn Achilles).

That sucks for the Chiefs so much. 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I imagine all the stupid Patriots fans are losing their minds now like they do whenever the Pats lose a single game.

I was certainly relishing it. It's stupidly rare for them to lose a nationally televised game at home. September does tend to be their most vulnerable month though so I know not to get too comfortable and just enjoy this for what it is as one game (I also quite like the Chiefs so I'm not just sadistically enjoying the Patriots' defeat; I'm happy that Alex Smith gets this national "FUCK YOU" moment to the football fans who take him for granted when he's shown that he can win big games and play big when needed).

3 hours ago, Mike said:

I imagine all the stupid Patriots fans are losing their minds now like they do whenever the Pats lose a single game.

I couldn't care less at all. We lost our season opener in 2003 and 2014 and went on to win a superbowl. Our defense and WRs need a lot of work, but we're still 99.9% likely to make the playoffs, and then whatever happens from there, we'll see. People over reacting after a week 1 loss are silly. The Chiefs have been solid for a few years now, with adding in Tyreek and if Kareem Hunt is a stud (as he displayed last night) they are a serious force. I feel like a lot of the hype around undefeated season is mostly around Gronk and Cooks being back. Dumb reasons. I'm happy to get the undefeated season talk out of here.

I did see that the Patriots worked out 4 different QBs today. To me, this means they're probably looking at trading Jimmy G or Jimmy G is hurt. With last night's performance, Brady seemed like the least of our problems. Not sure why they're worked out 4 QBs unless something is going on with Jimmy. 

1 hour ago, Koldes said:

I did see that the Patriots worked out 4 different QBs today. To me, this means they're probably looking at trading Jimmy G or Jimmy G is hurt. With last night's performance, Brady seemed like the least of our problems. Not sure why they're worked out 4 QBs unless something is going on with Jimmy. 

Well they did have Brissett on the team before they traded him to the Colts. Belichick just may wanna get a 3rd body in the QB room to replace Brissett's role.

14 hours ago, Jamie said:

Well they did have Brissett on the team before they traded him to the Colts. Belichick just may wanna get a 3rd body in the QB room to replace Brissett's role.

Right. But, unless I'm mistaken, for the vast majority of Brady's career they haven't had 2 other backup QBs, just the 1. They pretty much drafted and kept Brissett due to Brady's 4 game suspension, and needing someone if Jimmy G got hurt (which went on to happen.) Needing to get a third QB on the roster, when Brady is healthy and active, seems to be the least of our priorities when you look at our depleting WR corps and how bad our defense was on Thursday night. It makes me think something is up to set that as a high priority. 

21 hours ago, Mike said:

Do you think maybe Brady is hurt and they're not saying anything? I mean how does the backup QB get hurt not playing and not getting hit in practice?

Or they're aware of a pending suspension 😂

23 hours ago, Mike said:

Do you think maybe Brady is hurt and they're not saying anything? I mean how does the backup QB get hurt not playing and not getting hit in practice?

No idea about Brady. It wouldn't surprise me though. Brady's health regimen can keep him trim and fast, but that doesn't mean he's going to be able to heal from injuries and hits well. He's still 40. 

But people get hurt without getting hit all of the time. Especially soft tissue injuries like hamstring pulls. Feet get stepped on, shoulders get out of whack, backs get jerked and twisted. I mean, they're still moving at high caliber speeds even in practice, not too crazy to think he twisted something. Also stuff like Percy Harvin-like headaches, John Brown-like sickle cell and a bunch of other non-football impairments. 

I don't know what's going on, but it's just really odd to see them not prioritizing WR or Def and working out 4 QBs. Unless they're just fishing for value for keeping a decent QB on the roster (like they do with drafting QBs fairly often). 

Some predictions I want to make before the season fully kicks off...

- The Chargers and Titans are sleeper teams and will have awesome offenses.
- People overhype the Jags and Dolphins every single year but the Bucs are the Florida team that people should be talking about.
- It's a weak division so they'll have a pretty good record but I don't think the Steelers are going to be nearly as good as people say they are.
- The Falcons aren't going to have a good year. That was a franchise-destroying loss in the Super Bowl and I don't see them recovering.

On 9/9/2017 at 10:18 AM, Koldes said:

Right. But, unless I'm mistaken, for the vast majority of Brady's career they haven't had 2 other backup QBs, just the 1. They pretty much drafted and kept Brissett due to Brady's 4 game suspension, and needing someone if Jimmy G got hurt (which went on to happen.) Needing to get a third QB on the roster, when Brady is healthy and active, seems to be the least of our priorities when you look at our depleting WR corps and how bad our defense was on Thursday night. It makes me think something is up to set that as a high priority. 

They had Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer at the same time. Then Mallett and Garoppolo at the same time for a bit. Then Garoppolo and Brissett at the same time. Also as Brady ages and Garoppolo suddenly becomes far more expensive to keep, New England has to be far more active in pursuing future possibilities at QB on the roster than they had to 10 years ago.

Idk if I've ever heard a woman play-by-play commentator for an NFL game before tonight, but I think Beth Mowins is doing a really good job so far. Rex Ryan still has a ways to go before he's nearly as comfortable of a color analyst as Jon Gruden.

9 hours ago, Jamie said:

Idk if I've ever heard a woman play-by-play commentator for an NFL game before tonight, but I think Beth Mowins is doing a really good job so far. Rex Ryan still has a ways to go before he's nearly as comfortable of a color analyst as Jon Gruden.

I thought she did a great job. I didn't even put two and two together that it was Rex Ryan, I thought he was a little uncomfortable - good wording choice! 

I did think Rex got better as the night went on. And it's his first major broadcast so obviously there's a learning curve and a skill set to cultivate with experience.

9 minutes ago, Jamie said:

I did think Rex got better as the night went on. And it's his first major broadcast so obviously there's a learning curve and a skill set to cultivate with experience.

Romo sounded fantastic.

I only watched the last few minutes of the second game for fantasy reasons and I thought that woman did good on play-by-play and Rex needs some improvement but overall for his first game, I thought he did fine.

And of course it was music to my hears hearing my man Jon Gruden for three hours. Definitely my favorite football color commentator ever. He discusses complex football stuff and explains it in such a simple way that anyone can understand. He's worth every penny of that massive contract he gets. Sean McDonough is kind of boring though. The booth does need Tirico, who is part of the all-star crew over at NBC.

33 minutes ago, Omar said:

Romo sounded fantastic.

Yeah, I was wondering how Romo did! A big upgrade from Phil Simms? 

And what gives about Jay Cutler!? Not on the football field, nor the broadcast booth! :P Smokin' Jay the slacker.

2 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Yeah, I was wondering how Romo did! A big upgrade from Phil Simms? 

And what gives about Jay Cutler!? Not on the football field, nor the broadcast booth! :P Smokin' Jay the slacker.

He was really really good. A ton of excitement, sounded like a soft spoken Madden with all the booms he'd thrown in there. There's a video going around where he'd predict a bunch of plays before they happened.

35 minutes ago, Omar said:

He was really really good. A ton of excitement, sounded like a soft spoken Madden with all the booms he'd thrown in there. There's a video going around where he'd predict a bunch of plays before they happened.

Yes, I saw that video!! I just wasn't sure if in the flow of the game his predictions were refreshing or annoying/know-it-ally :P

1 hour ago, Jamie said:

Yes, I saw that video!! I just wasn't sure if in the flow of the game his predictions were refreshing or annoying/know-it-ally :P

Y'all talking about this one?