EchoX860

Got (Movie/TV) News

15,245 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Ruiner II said:

I think the opposing argument is that what those people want isn't as good as what we got.

You must see these movies casually I'm guessing? Because if you were a passionate, lifelong fan I imagine you would've been upset that TLJ ignored every story element that people cared about and wanted to see more of from TFA. There's nothing wrong with giving the people what they want. Marvel gave people what they wanted with Endgame and that turned out fine. Imagine if Endgame was part 2 of a trilogy and they got some director who didn't want to play ball and went rogue and basically made a spinoff movie instead of a true part 2 of the trilogy and they ignored or destroyed plot points to subverting expectations for the sake of trying to outsmart the audience. People would've been pissed. It's such a lazy criticism from movie snobs to trash on Star Wars fans for not liking a movie that was a middle finger to the audience. A movie can be liked by critics and audiences alike. That's why Endgame is in the 90% level for RT reviews as well as audience score and meanwhile TLJ is 90% for RT score and in the 40% for audience score.

And for a guy who is supposed to be a writer in Rian Johnson, shouldn't you be more upset about seeing such things as Holdo hating Poe for the entire movie until the moment before she dies when they want the audience to feel sympathy for her so she randomly mentions she likes Poe now? There's also other great stuff like laser swords, mama jokes, Rose randomly kissing Finn and Luke being out of character. Then there's a bunch of the cast having nothing to do for most of the film so they have to resort to prison sentences, comas, Force Skype chat, a ship running out of fuel and a pointless side mission in order to explain their absences and have them appear every now and then so you don't forget them.

Oh and speaking of Star Wars, three months ago in the Rocket League chat some guy randomly spoiled something very big happening in Gears 5. Right when he did this, I took a screenshot of the spoiler to remember his gamertag. When I'm out of the theater Thursday at 9:00, this guy will be getting a nice message from me with the biggest spoiler I can fit in one sentence.

11 hours ago, Mike said:

You must see these movies casually I'm guessing? Because if you were a passionate, lifelong fan I imagine you would've been upset that TLJ ignored every story element that people cared about and wanted to see more of from TFA. There's nothing wrong with giving the people what they want. Marvel gave people what they wanted with Endgame and that turned out fine. Imagine if Endgame was part 2 of a trilogy and they got some director who didn't want to play ball and went rogue and basically made a spinoff movie instead of a true part 2 of the trilogy and they ignored or destroyed plot points to subverting expectations for the sake of trying to outsmart the audience. People would've been pissed. It's such a lazy criticism from movie snobs to trash on Star Wars fans for not liking a movie that was a middle finger to the audience. A movie can be liked by critics and audiences alike. That's why Endgame is in the 90% level for RT reviews as well as audience score and meanwhile TLJ is 90% for RT score and in the 40% for audience score.

And for a guy who is supposed to be a writer in Rian Johnson, shouldn't you be more upset about seeing such things as Holdo hating Poe for the entire movie until the moment before she dies when they want the audience to feel sympathy for her so she randomly mentions she likes Poe now? There's also other great stuff like laser swords, mama jokes, Rose randomly kissing Finn and Luke being out of character. Then there's a bunch of the cast having nothing to do for most of the film so they have to resort to prison sentences, comas, Force Skype chat, a ship running out of fuel and a pointless side mission in order to explain their absences and have them appear every now and then so you don't forget them.

Casually, to an extent? I mean, I grew up with the movies and loved them as a kid and still have a reverence for them now but my tastes have changed as I've grown.

The Last Jedi in no way was a perfect movie, I'd probably give it like a 6 out of 10 on the whole, but I thought there were certain categories in which it transcended the series (the overall visual direction, Luke's arc, most of the stuff involving the Force and Rey, the suicide bombing scene). There were also a LOT of problems with the script, but this is where I diverge from you, because I don't think any of these movies had great writing in the conventional sense. Star Wars has always been silly popcorn movies, what sets it apart is the sense of wonder and imagination, and The Last Jedi had that more than any installment since the original trilogy. I didn't come away from it wishing JJ Abrams would come back and play it safe again, but instead that Rian Johnson's vision for the world could be refined and have the kinks worked out because for all its flaws, it's got the magic. 

If you want my criticisms, here they are: the sideplots involving Poe and Finn were both not great. I liked the idea that Poe was being a reckless jackass and that Holdo actually knew what she was doing, but as you said, it ended very unsatisfyingly with him performing a mutiny and everyone just shrugging their shoulders like "I like this kid, he's got spunk!". Finn was just a generally annoying character and it was clear that Johnson was out of his element trying to do broad comedy, and it felt like a complete copout having him sacrifice himself for the team in the face of sure doom only for Rose to stop him. No issues with Luke, nor a lot of the other things you mention which just seems like you're just mentioning random things from the plot without specifying what's wrong with them. 

And lastly, you must know it's disingenuous to cite Rotten Tomatoes user ratings to prove a point. Any movie that pisses some sort of toxic fandom off gets review bombed to oblivion by angry nerds--just ask Captain Marvel and Watchmen, not to mention any game with the misfortune of being released exclusively on the Epic Store. I'm not trying to be a movie snob, I just think you're taking this whole thing a little too seriously.

With no sports and no video games to play, I have had a chance to catch up on my long list of TV shows. What are you guys watching lately?

- The Expanse: This new season was easily its worst yet. Hopefully all the new viewers on Amazon watched the earlier seasons from Syfy before watching the new season so they can see what a kick ass show this is. Hopefully they bounce back next season.

- City on a Hill: Solid show. Kevin Bacon is great in this. With City on a Hill, Ray Donovan, Homeland and Billions, among others, Showtime has quietly turned into a really solid channel in recent years.

- The Handmaid's Tale: Yet another great season for one of the best shows on television.

- Servant: I just watched the first episode and I was very impressed. Really weird show and even if M. Night Shyamalan's involvement wasn't known, viewers could easily tell he was associated with this show.

- Bob's Burgers: It has always been very hard for me to get into new cartoons. South Park and Futurama are pretty good but for the most part I feel like I'll only ever enjoy The Simpsons and Family Guy. I've tried Archer, Rick & Morty, F is for Family, Disenchantment and others and I just can't get into anything. The first episode of Bob's Burgers was okay enough where I tried the second episode and I didn't like that one so now I'm done with another cartoon. The search continues.

Next up for new shows to try out on my giant list, in no particular order...

- The Boys
- Godfather of Harlem
- Watchmen
- His Dark Materials
- See
- The Outsider
- Star Trek: Picard
- Titans
- Swamp Thing
- Devs
- Tales from the Loop

Disney is basically the downfall of FX (not like they've had anything good in years anyways). Devs is an FX show, originally promoted to air on FX but it is airing exclusively on Hulu. People are all blinded by the X-Men coming to the MCU but this Disney buyout of Fox is going to be bad in the long run.

Didn't know that about Devs.  I've been watching it (on Hulu) and love it so far.  Kinda crazy that Lil Dicky's show Dave is on FX, but Devs is Hulu only.  (for what it's worth, I enjoy Dave, too).

You can skip The Outsider. 5.5/10. Last 4 episodes fucking sucked (though the acting was pretty superb throughout).

Stoked to watch Tales From The Loop.

I blew through all 10 episodes of Servant in four days. What a good show. Can't wait for season 2. I highly recommend it. The episodes are only around 30 minutes long which is nice.

3 hours ago, Nixon said:

Didn't know that about Devs.  I've been watching it (on Hulu) and love it so far.

You can skip The Outsider. 5.5/10.

That sucks about The Outsider. 

Looking forward to Devs. I'll wait till the season is over to start it so I can watch it at my own pace.

I finally started Watchmen. I absolutely loved the first episode. I'm really pissed now that I didn't watch this as it aired because I have a million questions and this seems like the perfect type of show that, similar to Lindelof's Lost, you can have a ton of fun as the show goes on speculating with other people and reading articles that try to answer questions. I hear different terms used, events mentioned and things happening and I'm trying to read about them but I have to make sure I read articles from around when the episode aired so I don't get spoiled on future episodes.

Let There Be Carnage would've been a good tagline but it's an awful subtitle for the new Venom movie. They might as well just call it Venom: Please See This Movie, Carnage Is It It.

A better title would've been Venom vs. Carnage.

33 minutes ago, Mike said:

Let There Be Carnage would've been a good tagline but it's an awful subtitle for the new Venom movie. They might as well just call it Venom: Please See This Movie, Carnage Is It It.

A better title would've been Venom vs. Carnage.

Actually, a better subtitle would have been Maximum Carnage, a reference to Carnage's best known story arc.

Venom vs. Carnage is frankly just as pedestrian as the title you're making fun of.

I'd echo Venom: Maximum Carnage or a cleaner Venom/Carnage. Hard pass on the actual name, soft pass on Vrnkm vs Carnage. 

But I didn't even see the first one so my opinion couldn't mean less here. 

Mike's Journal, April 25, 2020...

Spoiler

Finished Watchmen today. What an amazing show. I've spent hours today reading up about questions I need answered and other things related to the show. The story was incredible and HBO and FX are probably the only makers of TV shows that I have faith won't force future seasons when a show doesn't need one. And even though this is an extremely rich world with a story taking place over a long time period, my hope is that HBO won't greenlight some lame Hooded Justice prequel series (because there's a huge gap in his history) or something like it. One season was fine. 

Even though I'm happy with one season, I do think they could've spaced it out a little more with at least one more episode. Lady Trieu's story felt a little rushed, Angela never really spoke to Blake or Looking Glass again after the bad way things ended between them and we never got a conversation with her and her son about her being Sister Night. Although I think we all know how those conversations would've went so it wasn't super important that we see them I guess. Also, it seemed like the latter half of the season was very heavy on flashbacks and exposition and we sometimes went long stretches without seeing current day events or characters. I think making the season 10-12 episodes would've given the show a little more breathing room and they maybe wouldn't have needed a 45-minute Dr. Manhattan flashback all at once. And adding more episodes would've given them more time to explain stuff on the show and not on the HBO website like what happened to Night Owl and who Lube Man is.

A couple of other random notes...Trent Reznor did an incredible job with the soundtrack, the goofiest part of the comic (the squid) was turned into a strength on this show and I loved the terrifying 9/11-like scene when it arrived in New York, the cast was one of the best I've ever seen on a TV show and good for Damon Lindelof for sticking the landing for once.

My one major complaint was that the last episode moved through far too much in far little time and, on some level, it cheapened the pay-off. But yeah, great show, should definitely stand at one season.

2 hours ago, Ruiner II said:

My one major complaint was that the last episode moved through far too much in far little time and, on some level, it cheapened the pay-off. But yeah, great show, should definitely stand at one season.

I can't use spoiler tags on mobile so I'll be vague but I kinda feel like this season was meant to be 10 episodes. Episode 7 ends in the kitchen and then 40 minutes into episode 8 we arrive in the kitchen at that same moment. That's where I thought the episode should've ended. The stuff after that in episode 8 felt kinda like overkill. Then there's the post-credits scene. Not sure why they even needed one.

They could've saved the final 15 minutes of 8, the post-credits scene and the first few minutes of 9 and made that episode 9. Then episode 10 could've been the remainder of the finale with some additional Trieu flashbacks and some added interaction between cast members at the end. 

Who the hell has a 9 episode season? They must've wanted this series to be as jam-packed as possible. 

- Titans: Felt like a CW show with swears. Didn't like it at all. I just watched the first episode.

- Swamp Thing: I don't know how I did it but I made it through the whole season. Even if it didn't get canceled, I wouldn't be returning for season 2. It wasn't awful but it wasn't particularly good. It did have some scary moments and the Swamp Thing looked awesome and I liked how he was a good guy. Will Patton carried the cast.

- Star Trek: Picard: What an awesome show. I've only seen the three Chris Pine movies and the first two episodes of Discovery so I'm far from a Star Trek fan but I loved this show and I can't wait for season 2. The characters were great, the story was awesome and easy to follow for a new Trek viewer and Patrick Stewart is obviously great.

On 4/10/2020 at 3:11 PM, Nixon said:

You can skip The Outsider. 5.5/10. Last 4 episodes fucking sucked (though the acting was pretty superb throughout).

Spoiler

This show should've been eight episodes long. They easily could've removed two hours. Things were dragging for the second half of this season. It started off good but I couldn't wait to get done with this show. The always dependable Ben Mendelsohn was good in this and Cynthia Erivo was really good. The whole cast did a great job. I agree with you there.

A few complaints...

First of all, Jason Bateman is great in serious roles. But I didn't like how they portrayed his death because we didn't see him die so I assumed he was taken to a hospital. It looked like the shot just grazed his neck. Then later they mention his final words and I was like "what, he died?" I thought they could've done that better.

My biggest complaint was the absolute trash ending with Holly. She never touched El Cuco so she couldn't have gotten scratched by him. And even if she did get scratched by him, why couldn't see remember who Terry was because she said that before any possible scratch? Not like that would've mattered anyways because memory loss wasn't some side effect of a scratch. And then she's listening to music which she hates. I heard that none of this nonsense was in the book so it seems like the show couldn't just given us closure but they chose to spit in the face of the people who stuck with this miniseries by shoehorning in some lead up to a potential second season which I definitely won't be watching.