EchoX860

Got (Movie/TV) News

15,229 posts in this topic

We are in the greatest era ever for television. No doubt about it. I would need to quit my job to keep up with all the good television. I haven't even watched the new season of The Handmaid's Tale yet and I've had the whole completed season downloaded and ready to go on PLEX for months. It could be 2020 before I find the time to watch Watchmen.

Also, El Camino was good but super highly massively unnecessary. Whenever I decide to start watching Breaking Bad again, I'll never feel the need to watch El Camino at the end. It is a totally unnecessary companion piece. 

4 hours ago, Mike said:

We are in the greatest era ever for television. No doubt about it. I would need to quit my job to keep up with all the good television. I haven't even watched the new season of The Handmaid's Tale yet and I've had the whole completed season downloaded and ready to go on PLEX for months. It could be 2020 before I find the time to watch Watchmen.

Also, El Camino was good but super highly massively unnecessary. Whenever I decide to start watching Breaking Bad again, I'll never feel the need to watch El Camino at the end. It is a totally unnecessary companion piece. 

100% agree. There are a ton of great series that I started and cant remember where I left off because I got drawn into a new one. Succession has been my drug of choice lately, just finished season 2. That's some great television right there, went in not knowing what to expect and it quickly jumped up to one of my favorites. 

I'm really enjoying Watchmen, but I went in with no backstory at all. Haven't seen the movie nor anything else related to it. Episode 2 confused the hell out of me though.

5 hours ago, heldjc said:

I'm really enjoying Watchmen, but I went in with no backstory at all. Haven't seen the movie nor anything else related to it. Episode 2 confused the hell out of me though.

I would recommend reading the graphic novel before I'd recommend the movie. 

I'm a bit curious how much more mileage fans of the comic will get out of this.

8 hours ago, pen said:

I would recommend reading the graphic novel before I'd recommend the movie. 

I'm a bit curious how much more mileage fans of the comic will get out of this.

This, but I would also add that if you're not looking to dump several hours into a book and just want to catch up on the major plot points, the movie (especially the extended version) will definitely do in a pinch so long as you're sure to read up on the changes made to the ending--apart from that, it's extremely faithful in terms of plot. It just misses pretty much all of the subtext and spirit of the book. 

My favorite actor is Schwarzenegger and my second favorite movie franchise (behind only Star Wars) is Terminator so it pains me to say that I was significantly disappointed with Terminator: Dark Fate. Like a lot of franchises nowadays, they build excitement and get you hooked in with the promise of seeing characters you love returning for significant roles but then once you've paid the price of admission you realize that the real focus of the movie is on the new, much less interesting characters.

Tim Miller said people who complain about Mackenzie Davis in the movie are misogynists which is a bunch of nonsense. Real Terminator fans have a right to be upset when the face of the franchise is basically phased out. My frustration would've been the same if a male played the role that went to Mackenzie Davis. And he can use the word misogynistic all he wants but there isn't a single Terminator fan on Earth that complained about Linda Hamilton returning.

Terminator SPOILER discussion for anyone who has seen the movie...

Spoiler

- Reviews praised the airplane action scene as one of the best in the franchise but if was way too over the top this franchise. This scene should've been reserved for a Marvel movie. I like Terminator action to be more grounded without nonsense likes planes crashing into each other and bodies flying all over the place and no one dies.

- I liked how the ending to T2 changed the future and actually stopped Skynet but it was lame how everything in the future was the same. Legion was the same as Skynet and there were still terminators.

- Seeing T2 John get killed at the beginning of the movie was shocking. What a great way to start the movie.

- This movie made way too much of an effort to appeal to a modern audience with it's "hooray women!" vibe. The most eye rolling moment was when Grace said to Dani: "the savior isn't a MAN you give birth to. It's you." Lolz. So they basically just kill John Connor to make a girl John Connor. It's funny how no one is capable of creating iconic female characters. They just gender swap. Female Thor, female Ghostbusters, new 007 going to feature his replacement that's a girl and so on.

- Mackenzie Davis was good in this and I liked her character. I just hated how she replaced Arnold.

- The Dani Ramos character was so generic and boring

- The Rev 9 was a pretty good villain with a unique ability

- While the future in Salvation seemed way more interesting and I'd like to see a sequel to that, I would also like to see a movie showing the future in Dark Fate with Davis as the star.

- Even though they forced it in at times, it was nice seeing the iconic Terminator theme return.

- The T-800 was likable in T2 without feeling like a human so it's possible to have the audience connect to and care about a machine. Giving him a family in this was really silly.

Yep it was a big bust which was to be expected because it's not a superhero movie. For the first time I'm ready to say goodbye to Terminator. While I think it could do good as a future war TV show, I'm okay if the series ends. Most fans of movie franchises would kill to get as many chances as Terminator got so I'm happy that I got to see many new attempts at reviving the series. 

Mike's Terminator Power Rankings
1. Judgment Day
2. Rise of the Machines
3. Salvation
X. The Sarah Connor Chronicles
4. Genisys
5. T1
6. Dark Fate

I've only seen T1 once or twice. Really slow-paced and kinda boring. I'm not as big a fan of it as most people. Looking at my rankings of the movies, everything has gone downhill since T2. That doesn't mean it's all been bad. I absolutely love T3 and I hate how in recent years people like to lump it in with the more poorly received movies in the series. Salvation suffered a bit from the writers strike but overall it was a solid movie. Genisys even had some parts I liked. Six movies and a TV show with a combined Rotten Tomatoes score of 67% isn't bad at all. Basically everything this series has done has gotten good reviews except for Salvation and Genisys. 

Watched The King on netflix last night. Awesome movie. Robert Pattinson was fantastic as the "bad guy" in this one. Slows down in the middle but really picks up in the last half with some amazing fight scenes. Chalamet was fantastic as King Henry as well. Definitely recommend it.

The new Sonic model is sooooo much better, which leaves one to watch the trailer and ponder what exactly about the Sonic the Hedgehog games was screaming for a live-action buddy comedy adaptation in the first place. The games are wonderful, but it's probably for the best that technical limitations kept Sonic from ever having actual voice over dialogue. 

Speaking of which, anyone see the trailer for Scoob? Very, very bad. 

2 hours ago, Ruiner II said:

The games are wonderful, but it's probably for the best that technical limitations kept Sonic from ever having actual voice over dialogue.

Actually, his voice in the trailer puts me very much in mind of his voice from the old cartoons, which makes me very nostalgic. 

The new Sonic character design looks a lot better but the movie still looks awful, despite Jim Carrey's fun-looking portrayal as Dr. Robotnik.

Also, Doctor Sleep was spectacular. A whole cast of awesome characters and a terrific story that tied in wonderfully to The Shining and also stood on its own. I'm also sorta glad it flopped at the box office because there is absolutely no need for another sequel after this.

Just finished the final season of The Man in the High Castle. What a really weird show this was. Season 1 showed a lot of potential but then seasons 2 and 3 weren't that good and I was about to quit watching but they announced season 4 was the final season so I figured I'd stick with it for one more year and then season 4 ends up like The Americans and saves its best season for last. You can really tell there were different showrunners every year because the quality fluctuated, major characters were removed from the show and replaced and it felt like a different show than it was in the beginning which felt like it was 10 seasons ago. Overall I was happy I stuck with it because the final season was so good. Also, John Smith is easily one of the greatest TV villains I've ever seen.

Unfortunately some of the goodwill they accrued during the final season was ruined during the final two minutes of the last episode when they fall into the same trap that so many other shows fall into when instead of simply giving people a satisfying conclusion, they try to outsmart the audience with some ambiguous bullshit.

On 12/4/2019 at 2:59 PM, RainbowDragon said:

@MikeDo you like Disney+ ? What have you watched on it so far?

I have no interest in Disney Plus. I've already seen every Marvel movie from Iron Man to Endgame and have now retired from the MCU so I don't need that app to see a bunch of Marvel shows that I won't be watching. I have no interest in the Disney, Pixar, Fox, or Nat Geo stuff on there. I already own the Star Wars movies. The only thing of interest to me on there is The Mandalorian which I'm just downloading each episode for. It's a pretty good show but I don't like it nearly as much as the rest of the world and unless it starts getting better, I'll probably never watch season 2.

Im not a fan of whatever is trendy and popular as you know but whoever came up with the idea of Baby Yoda is a genius. Disney single handedly erased lots of bad will people had towards Star Wars with just that 1 character. Genius move. Think of all the money they are gonna make on the merch for it. Maybe I missed it in the old movies but I didnt know Yoda was from a race that looked like him I thought there was just 1 Yoda.

On 12/7/2019 at 3:28 AM, RainbowDragon said:

Disney single handedly erased lots of bad will people had towards Star Wars with just that 1 character.

I don't know. Baby Yoda is cute and all but there was still that very dark period in 2017-2018 with The Last Jedi, Battlefront 2 and Solo doing some serious damage to the Star Wars brand that I'm not sure they've completed recovered from yet seeing as how The Rise of Skywalker has had lowered box office projections last I checked. Disney has made three terrible mistakes so far...

1. Not plotting out the story for the trilogy in advance: They said the new movie will answers questions about Rey's parentage, the lightsaber and Snoke so basically it seems like 9 is going to be a sequel to 7 and 8 is just a side story featuring the main cast with nothing really happening (Finn on a pointless side mission, Poe in jail, Leia in a coma, the resistance waiting around in a ship, etc.). 

2. Hiring Rian Johnson: This fucking guy is the reason why I'm not more exciting about the new movie. The sour taste he left in my mouth my will never leave. The Last Jedi was worse than Episode I as far as I'm concerned. J.J. Abrams left him all these intriguing plot points to continue on with and he screwed it all up. It's like Abrams loaded the bases for him and then Johnson came to bat and struck out three times. The return of Luke, Snoke, Phasma, the lightsaber hand off, Rey's parentage...he screwed it all up. I thought this guy was supposed to be a writer...Rose randomly kissing Finn, Holdo randomly liking Poe at the end, the terrible comedy, 90% of the cast waiting around for the whole movie doing nothing. It's awful. Compare what everyone did in The Force Awakens to The Last Jedi and everything everyone did in the newer movie was worse. Rian Johnson had no interest in playing along and making his part of the trilogy. He just wanted to do the opposite of what real Star Wars fans wanted and he made J.J. Abrams job for IX tougher in the process.

3. Recasting an untouchable original trilogy character for a stupid spinoff that nobody wanted: They should've released VII in 2015, VIII in 2017, Rogue One in 2019 as a little break before the final part of the trilogy and IX in 2021. They rushed this whole trilogy out in four years.

Also, my prediciton for Rey's parentage...

The most brilliant move Disney made was wiping out all of the extended universe stuff from the story and saying that any of the stuff they make in the future will be canon. This way any piece of media is meaningful because it exists in the official story. So Star Wars Battlefront 2 exists in the official story. And in that game you see a robot of the Emperor which is how I'm guessing we'll see him in the new movie. 

So I think George Lucas has said that Luke is the most powerful Force user, but to me that's a bunch of bullshit. Darth Vader is the most powerful Force user. Now wouldn't the Emperor want to replicate that? Wouldn't he want an entire army of Darth Vaders? I think he used Vaders DNA to create clones or something like that and that's where Rey came from. Dark Rey from the trailer had the Force so she did the bidding of the Emperor and any clones/babies that didn't develop the Force were killed. The only other Force-sensitive baby that survived was Rey and I'm not sure how she ended up in Jakku.

So previously Mark Hamill was the only one who had the guts to voice his displease with The Last Jedi but lately it's been refreshing to hear more people associated with the franchise let their true feelings come out...

- J.J. Abrams: "It’s a bit of a meta approach to the story. I don’t think that people go to ‘Star Wars’ to be told, ‘This doesn’t matter."
- John Boyega: "I didn't necessarily agree with a lot of the choices in that"
- VII and IX editor: "I just think that when you’re doing a trilogy, you can’t just abandon a story"

2 hours ago, Mike said:

So previously Mark Hamill was the only one who had the guts to voice his displease with The Last Jedi but lately it's been refreshing to hear more people associated with the franchise let their true feelings come out...

- J.J. Abrams: "It’s a bit of a meta approach to the story. I don’t think that people go to ‘Star Wars’ to be told, ‘This doesn’t matter."
- John Boyega: "I didn't necessarily agree with a lot of the choices in that"
- VII and IX editor: "I just think that when you’re doing a trilogy, you can’t just abandon a story"

Abrams doesn't really trash the movie at all, he just acknowledges that it wasn't what people go to Star Wars for, which was obviously true for a lot of people. I think the opposing argument is that what those people want isn't as good as what we got.