EchoX860

Got (Movie/TV) News

14,655 posts in this topic

Anybody who hasn't seen Jeremy Saulnier's other work, man oh man, you're in for a treat. With David Milch hopefully improving the quality of the writing over the first two years and a great auteur director back at the helm, this is gonna be real good. 

So I've been back on Netflix for Death Note and a Bojack Horseman pregame binge and how do they keep making their UI worse? You can't park your cursor anywhere without getting some loud trailer or music breaking out, you get literally 3 seconds after the credits start before it immediately starts the next episode (meaning you can't even listen to the credits song at all), there's a distracting "skip intro" button that comes up during the opening credits, and the ratings system sucks ass. Why is Netflix the premier streaming service again? 

9 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

So I've been back on Netflix for Death Note and a Bojack Horseman pregame binge and how do they keep making their UI worse? You can't park your cursor anywhere without getting some loud trailer or music breaking out, you get literally 3 seconds after the credits start before it immediately starts the next episode (meaning you can't even listen to the credits song at all), there's a distracting "skip intro" button that comes up during the opening credits, and the ratings system sucks ass. Why is Netflix the premier streaming service again? 

Because people binge watch and that's why it lets you skip intros and almost immediately queues the next episode. It's designed for people who ingest television in that fashion. But honestly, I think your "3 seconds after the credits" is exaggerated. I've watched several series on Netflix and there's more than enough time to tell Netflix to stop queue if you really want to listen to the end credits that badly.

6 hours ago, Ruiner said:

You can't park your cursor anywhere without getting some loud trailer or music breaking out

That is probably the most annoying thing I've ever seen on any app I've ever used. It's awful. It actually discourages me from trying new stuff because I can't take my time to explore because it automatically starts playing the fucking first episode immediately when I simply want to read the description about it. Lots of shitty websites are like that too. You can't click a fucking article without a video playing at the top.

8 hours ago, pen said:

Because people binge watch and that's why it lets you skip intros and almost immediately queues the next episode. It's designed for people who ingest television in that fashion. But honestly, I think your "3 seconds after the credits" is exaggerated. I've watched several series on Netflix and there's more than enough time to tell Netflix to stop queue if you really want to listen to the end credits that badly.

Well duh, but just because you're binging doesn't mean you don't want some sense of closure after an episode before it starts cramming the next one down your throat. Imagine you're binging Breaking Bad for the first time, and "Crawl Space" ends, leaving you with your mouth agape, and instead of letting the eerily-scored credits roll while you process what you just saw, the next episode starts up almost immediately. 

Now compare that to every other app, which simply puts a "start next episode" option on the screen, so you can let the episode breathe for a second, but still easily go straight into the next episode if you wish. If I'm watching Fargo on Amazon and want to appreciate Fargo's excellent end credits music cues, it's at least a damn option. 

And I understand why it's done, but that doesn't mean I enjoy a serious hobby of mine being cheapified so some dumbass girl and her date can bang out a season of Orange is the New Black as quickly as possible so they can get to the fucking. It doesn't typically affect me because I rarely use their app because it's clearly not designed for me, but then they force my hand by having like two great series that they won't let you buy anywhere else. I'd pay 25 bucks to own a season of Bojack on Amazon so I didn't have to use Netflix's shitty app to watch it. 

Early critic buzz for It on Twitter is extremely positive. And apparently it's tracking to possibly break horror movie box office records. Exciting times.

1 hour ago, Ruiner said:

Early critic buzz for It on Twitter is extremely positive. And apparently it's tracking to possibly break horror movie box office records. Exciting times.

Well it's coming out at the perfect time. The summer box office was a record setting failure, crappy movies and box office flops all over the place and nothing big has come out in a while. 

Speaking of movies, I'm pissed I never got to see T2 in theaters cause my stupid theater never showed it.

38 minutes ago, Mike said:

Well it's coming out at the perfect time. The summer box office was a record setting failure, crappy movies and box office flops all over the place and nothing big has come out in a while. 

Speaking of movies, I'm pissed I never got to see T2 in theaters cause my stupid theater never showed it.

Huh? Among blockbusters, GOTG, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, and Planet of the Apes ranged from well-received to critical acclaim, and movies like Dunkirk, Baby Driver, and The Big Sick all received unanimously positive reviews. I remember a few times over the summer I checked RT to see what was playing and being surprised to see nearly everything had a fresh rating outside of a pocket of stinkers like The Emojis Movie. 

6 hours ago, Ruiner said:

Well duh, but just because you're binging doesn't mean you don't want some sense of closure after an episode before it starts cramming the next one down your throat. Imagine you're binging Breaking Bad for the first time, and "Crawl Space" ends, leaving you with your mouth agape, and instead of letting the eerily-scored credits roll while you process what you just saw, the next episode starts up almost immediately. 

Now compare that to every other app, which simply puts a "start next episode" option on the screen, so you can let the episode breathe for a second, but still easily go straight into the next episode if you wish. If I'm watching Fargo on Amazon and want to appreciate Fargo's excellent end credits music cues, it's at least a damn option. 

And I understand why it's done, but that doesn't mean I enjoy a serious hobby of mine being cheapified so some dumbass girl and her date can bang out a season of Orange is the New Black as quickly as possible so they can get to the fucking. It doesn't typically affect me because I rarely use their app because it's clearly not designed for me, but then they force my hand by having like two great series that they won't let you buy anywhere else. I'd pay 25 bucks to own a season of Bojack on Amazon so I didn't have to use Netflix's shitty app to watch it. 

You seem upset.

- Snowfall: I watched the first episode today and wasn't a fan. I have considered watching the rest of the season but I'm likely done with the show. After watching the preview for the rest of the season, the only thing that interested me was seeing the main character, his story and seeing him hit the highs and lows of being a drug dealer. I did like Damson Idris, who played the main character. The rest of the supporting cast didn't interest me at all and they were very boring.

- Vice Principals: This one I didn't like at all. I was ready to be done after episode 1 but I thought the two vice principals forming an alliance at the end of the first episode had the potential to be funny so so I stuck around for episode 2. I haven't seen a lot of his stuff but whenever I see Danny McBride I find him incredibly unlikable and the way he swears every two seconds takes all the funniness out of cursing. I didn't like how the vast majority of the first episode focused only on McBride but when I finally saw more of Walton Goggins in episode 2, his character was somehow more unlikable than McBride's character. The only character I found funny was the guy who worked in the cafeteria.

On 9/4/2017 at 1:56 PM, Mike said:

- Snowfall: I watched the first episode today and wasn't a fan. I have considered watching the rest of the season but I'm likely done with the show. After watching the preview for the rest of the season, the only thing that interested me was seeing the main character, his story and seeing him hit the highs and lows of being a drug dealer. I did like Damson Idris, who played the main character. The rest of the supporting cast didn't interest me at all and they were very boring.

- Vice Principals: This one I didn't like at all. I was ready to be done after episode 1 but I thought the two vice principals forming an alliance at the end of the first episode had the potential to be funny so so I stuck around for episode 2. I haven't seen a lot of his stuff but whenever I see Danny McBride I find him incredibly unlikable and the way he swears every two seconds takes all the funniness out of cursing. I didn't like how the vast majority of the first episode focused only on McBride but when I finally saw more of Walton Goggins in episode 2, his character was somehow more unlikable than McBride's character. The only character I found funny was the guy who worked in the cafeteria.

Yeah if that house scene in episode two didn't get the job done for you I don't think anything in that show is going to. 

Oh shit that's great news. Don't want to just default back to JJ, but excited for a more inspired choice like Johnson was. Alex Garland would be amazing. 

EDIT: Deadline is reporting that Johnson is actually the top choice currently to return, as apparently the machine has been very happy with him and the original plan was for him to direct two movies anyway. Would also be very happy with this, obviously. 

2 hours ago, pen said:

At first I was like "What is?" and then I was like "God dammit."

Lol I think the same thing happened to me a few days ago but Ruiner at least used all caps for IT so it made it a little easier to understand what he was talking about.

The review consensus seems to be that It is a very successful "popcorn horror" movie with lots of great scares and good characters, but falls short of being a classic. Sort of disappointing in one sense given the source material, but I'll definitely take "very good" as a victory given the quality of most big budget horror remakes/adaptations these days. 

2 hours ago, Ruiner said:

The review consensus seems to be that It is a very successful "popcorn horror" movie with lots of great scares and good characters, but falls short of being a classic. Sort of disappointing in one sense given the source material, but I'll definitely take "very good" as a victory given the quality of most big budget horror remakes/adaptations these days. 

Consensus per Rotten Tomatoes: 

Critics Consensus: Well-acted and fiendishly frightening with an emotionally affecting story at its core, It amplifies the horror in Stephen King's classic story without losing touch with its heart.

Sounds good to me. What defines a classic anyway? Time has to be a factor, I'm sure. Something doesn't just become a classic upon release.

Sorry if I'm being nitpicky, but... you know... I am.

20 minutes ago, pen said:

Consensus per Rotten Tomatoes: 

Sounds good to me. What defines a classic anyway? Time has to be a factor, I'm sure. Something doesn't just become a classic upon release.

Sorry if I'm being nitpicky, but... you know... I am.

I was focusing on the reviews themselves. Near universally positive, but most seem to praise it without going over the top, and usually specifying the that there's something holding it back from standing alongside the best King adaptations (but praising it as a worthy effort). 

Longevity definitely is a deciding factor in what's a "classic", but it's also not really uncommon for a real home run horror film to earn that distinction early on these days. Get Out, It Follows, The Cabin in the Woods, and The Babadook are all recent examples. I guess I could have said "instant classic".