EchoX860

Got (Movie/TV) News

14,613 posts in this topic

So if you're a fan of excellent under-watched comedies, September is a hell of a month for you!

9/6: You're the Worst (Season 4 hour-long premiere)

9/8: Bojack Horseman (Season 4 release)

9/13: Broad City (Season 4 premiere)

9/14: Better Things (Season 4 premiere)

9/17: Vice Principals (Final Season premiere)

Not included is Curb Your Enthusiasm, which ruins the double hat trick by waking up after September ends on 10/1.

DC is also working on a Joker prequel with Martin Scorsese of all people producing. 

If DC had interesting superheroes like Marvel, they wouldn't have to resort to a bunch of Batman villain spinoffs. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

If DC had interesting superheroes like Marvel, they wouldn't have to resort to a bunch of Batman villain spinoffs. 

DC does have interesting superheroes, they just have shitty adaptations.

11 hours ago, Mike said:

DC is also working on a Joker prequel with Martin Scorsese of all people producing.

I read its because they want it to have a Mean Streets vibe. Never saw that movie but here we go again with wanting to make comic book movies more gritty and realistic. Sigh.

Death Note: 42% rotten

"Critic Consensus: Death Note benefits from director Adam Wingard's distinctive eye and a talented cast, but they aren't enough to overcome a fatally overcrowded canvas." 

Sounds about what I expected, but still disappointing. I wish Wingard's talent wouldn't be wasted on subpar projects--hopefully the studio has someone other than hacks assigned to Kong vs Godzilla. 

Sabotage, Expendables 3, Terminator Geneshits, Escape Plan, are all bad. He's been banished to VOD land now except if he does an Expendables or Terminator franchise type movie.

48 minutes ago, RainbowDragon said:

Sabotage, Expendables 3, Terminator Geneshits, Escape Plan, are all bad.

I thought Sabotage was pretty good. Not as good as old Arnold, but definitely his best starring role since returning to acting.

In order to bridge the gap between the first and second Blade Runner movies, they are releasing three short films. If the first one is anything to go by, then it seems like Jared Leto is going to be a great villain.

15 Hilarious Comedies Critics Were Completely WRONG About: Totally agree with Step Brothers. It's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen and far and away the best Will Ferrell movie I've ever seen. It amazes me that his many overrated movies are held in such high regard and yet Step Brothers gets ignored. I agree with others on this list as well. I'm a huge fan of Austin Powers 2 and it's my favorite movie in that franchise. I agree with Observe and Report and Billy Madison being good as well. I feel like a lot of comedies I like don't get good reviews. Home Alone and especially The Waterboy and Meet the Fockers have way worse reviews than they deserve.

Hot Rod: absolutel

MacGruber: eh, maybe

Trailer Park Boys: ???

The Cable Guy: YES

Austin Powers 2: Yeah, kinda

Billy Madison: it's really fucking stupid but it's still funny for some reason

Life Aquatic: ????

The Foot Fist Way: underrated, but not great

Observe and Report: YES

I haven't seen the rest of the list up to Step Brothers, which was a hilarious movie but it got a fine enough critical reaction--55% on Rotten Tomatoes, which correctly identifies it as a movie that isn't for everybody but has merit.

But I want to talk about Observe and Report. That movie was brilliant and hands down Seth Rogen's best work as an actor, and much like Vice Principals after it, it was just too dark for a lot of critics. I guess that style of comedy, that finds humor in really uncomfortably dark places, has proven to have a finite ceiling, but it's still a damn shame that something great and daring like O&R can fall through the cracks like that as a result. The big gunshot at the end is one of the funniest punchlines in a movie I can recall, and it really laid the groundwork for Vice Principals beautifully.

Step Brothers is funny. Will Farrell did another movie about ice skating that's really funny as well and underrated. I didn't see the basketball movie he did.  

Cable Guy is fucking genius and brilliant. Me, Myself and Irene is good. Weird Science is classic. Spaceballs is great but they do throw so many jokes at you and some if them do misfire badly but luckily enough of them do hit. 

A movie not on there is Road Trip from 2000 and that's a funny underrated one. Saving Silverman from the same year is hilarious too. 

Speaking of Super Troopers 2, those same guys did a movie called Beerfest that's hilarious.