EchoX860

Got (Movie/TV) News

14,455 posts in this topic

I'm not going to be the person defending anything about Bay or the Transformers movies, but how are you going to do car chases with a VW Beetle? 

1 hour ago, Ruiner said:

I'm not going to be the person defending anything about Bay or the Transformers movies, but how are you going to do car chases with a VW Beetle? 

Exactly. Some changes are just practical.

The Dark Tower early reviews are negative. This doesn't surprise me as most of the footage I've seen hasn't impressed me. While I haven't read any of the books or comics (as it seems daunting and impossible to get to it all) I have been looking forward to this movie. I've read a bit about what the books are like and it seems really interesting. Even just going by some of the cover artwork, it looks really cool. I like seeing a cowboy in this desert-looking place with the tower in the background, cool mix of a western and fantasy. Sadly most of the footage from the movie is just in boring New York so I'm guessing that's where most of the movie takes place.

31 minutes ago, Mike said:

The Dark Tower early reviews are negative. This doesn't surprise me as most of the footage I've seen hasn't impressed me. While I haven't read any of the books or comics (as it seems daunting and impossible to get to it all) I have been looking forward to this movie. I've read a bit about what the books are like and it seems really interesting. Even just going by some of the cover artwork, it looks really cool. I like seeing a cowboy in this desert-looking place with the tower in the background, cool mix of a western and fantasy. Sadly most of the footage from the movie is just in boring New York so I'm guessing that's where most of the movie takes place.

Yeah the trailer looked kinda shitty, but too bad. Hopefully the upcoming adaptation of King's other most revered book is good.

This looks pretty good but I have a feeling it's going to be PG-13 and I feel like this type of movie should be very violent and R-rated. Also, this looks like another phoned-in performance from Bruce Willis. When was the last time he put effort into a movie?

It looks alright but it looks like they're trying to make it seem comedic, which I think is maybe not tonally proper?

I dunno, I think of Taxi Driver and how that movie made clear its vigilante was just as likely to go psycho and kill innocents as he was to combat injustice.

This just seems like it's glorifying the concept, which is fine enough I guess for a straightforward action movie, especially one starring Bruce Willis, but I feel like it'd be more interesting to blur the lines a little.

‘Karate Kid’ Sequel Series With Ralph Macchio, William Zabka Greenlit at YouTube Red: "A sequel series to the classic film “The Karate Kid” is set to launch on YouTube Red. Currently titled “Cobra Kai,” the series would reunite original film stars Ralph Macchio and William Zabka. The 10-episode, half-hour series, coming to YouTube Red in 2018, picks up thirty years after the events of the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament. A down-and-out Johnny Lawrence (Zabka) seeks redemption by reopening the infamous Cobra Kai karate dojo, reigniting his rivalry with a now successful Daniel LaRusso (Macchio), who has been struggling to maintain balance in his life without the guidance of his mentor, Mr. Miyagi."

YouTube original series? Maybe You're the Worst's gag about Waze running original programming at red lights isn't so outlandish after all. 

4 hours ago, Ruiner said:

YouTube original series? Maybe You're the Worst's gag about Waze running original programming at red lights isn't so outlandish after all. 

They've had original content since the launch of Youtube Red like, a year ago.

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

They've had original content since the launch of Youtube Red like, a year ago.

Oh. Well, point still stands, I'm just even more out of touch than I thought. 

He was on Dancing with the Stars and he had a big part in the Artie Lange (Howard Stern's old sidekick) movie 'Beer League.' Everyone hated it but I enjoyed it. That being said, this is a horrible idea and I cant believe its happening. They already did the Kobra Kai dojo went under and they tried to reopen it plot in part III for christ sakes. An early 50 something yr old man trying to re open an old karate studio doesnt even sound like a fun plot it just sounds really sad and depressing.

At first when I heard this headline I assumed it was a sequel to the Jaden Smith movie. I didn't even click the article. Then when I heard Ralph Macchio was in it was when I actually decided to read about it.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

I thought Cable was fatter ? Was never a huge fan of him anyway. Also, I thought he wore blue and yellow colors.

Quaritch is the villain in all four Avatar sequels: I hope it doesn't get boring with the same villain in every single movie. But Quaritch was a great bad guy and Stephen Lang is good so I'm sure it'll work out in the end. I'm guessing he was critically wounded at the end of Avatar 1 and was forced into an avatar body to survive. That'd be interesting seeing him forced to become one of the things he doesn't like.

3 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

We're calling the military dude from Avatar a "great bad guy" now? 

I thought he was probably the best one in the whole movie.

And let's not act like there are great villains in movies nowadays. The rise of gritty realism over the past 15 years had lead to most movie villains being generic businessmen.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I thought he was probably the best one in the whole movie.

And let's not act like there are great villains in movies nowadays. The rise of gritty realism over the past 15 years had lead to most movie villains being generic businessmen.

Every villain in Breaking Bad

Every villain in Justified (mainly Boyd Crowder) 

Col. Hans Landa, Inglourious Basterds

Calvin Candie, Django Unchained 

Every villain in Fargo 

Lenny Busker, Legion

Daisy Domergue, The Hateful Eight

David, Prometheus/Alien

Amy Elliot-Dunne, Gone Girl

Bane/Joker/Two-Face, Nolan Batman 

Loki, MCU 

Rick Sanchez, Rick and Morty

That fucker from Drive

Terrence Fletcher, Whiplash

David Anderson Collins, The Guest

The dude from Skyfall

Gavin Belson, Silicon Valley

Lou Bloom, Nightcrawler 

The killers in You're Next

The Apes series villains 

Edwin Epps, 12 Years a Slave

Bruce Willis, Looper

Danny McBride, This is the End

The killer, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Mark Zuckerberg, The Social Network

Lotso Huggin' Bear, Toy Story 3

Many more in stuff I haven't watched, surely, and others I'm forgetting

I have no idea what you're talking about. 

I specifically said movies. I wasn't talking about TV.

After doing a Google search for best movies since 2000 to help me not forget something, the memorable villains I have are...Joker, Two-Face, Quaritch, the guy from Skyfall, Jack Nicholson from The Departed, Loki, Magneto (both actors that have played him), Vulture, Philip Seymour Hoffman in Mission: Impossible III, JCVD in Expendables 2, Leo and Sam from Django and the bad guy from No Country for Old Men. So last decade was pretty solid for villains. It appears that I have pinpointed this decade as sucking which makes more sense as I've been underwhelmed with movies recently as I think the last new release to warrant a blu-ray purchase from me was Skyfall way back in 2012.

Just now, Mike said:

I specifically said movies. I wasn't talking about TV.

After doing a Google search for best movies since 2000 to help me not forget something, the memorable villains I have are...Joker, Two-Face, Quaritch, the guy from Skyfall, Jack Nicholson from The Departed, Loki, Magneto (both actors that have played him), Vulture, Philip Seymour Hoffman in Mission: Impossible III, JCVD in Expendables 2, Leo and Sam from Django and the bad guy from No Country for Old Men. So last decade was pretty solid for villains. It appears that I have pinpointed this decade as sucking which makes more sense as I've been underwhelmed with movies recently as I think the last new release to warrant a blu-ray purchase from me was Skyfall way back in 2012.

I didn't see that. That's fair, but plenty of the movie villains on my list were from 2010 onward. 

Though your original point I was contesting was that the dude from Avatar was a great villain, not that he was good when compared to other crappy movie villains. Since there's still an embarrassment of riches on screen when it comes to good villains, I'm not sure what the excuse is for generic angry military guy is.