EchoX860

Got (Movie/TV) News

14,455 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Mike said:

They have such goofy powers. Some big rock guy, a generic fire-ability person, someone who goes invisible and Stretch Armstrong.

Man, remember when they were the originators of those tropes? Pepperidge Farms remembers.

Anyway, the appeal of Fantastic Four is not their powers but being a family unit, which is a dynamic you don't see often explored elsewhere. 

Certainly they have fans considering the massive backlash when Marvel removed them from the playing field post-Secret Wars.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Modern Family and Jimmy Fallon are my go-to examples of shows that I feel are 100% designed for our PC society. No edge to them whatsoever.

That's definitely a reason to be concerned when watching something on Syfy but they've really gotten their act together in recent years. They're not at the level of AMC or FX but Syfy is definitely watchable now and I won't ignore a show on there just because it's on there (a mistake I almost made with Mr. Robot and USA). The Expanse is one of the best shows on TV.

I never said that every show on TV is safe, politically correct junk. I just voiced my concerns that in the future it will be. And I don't know what shows you're talking. We watch plenty of the same shows. If you're talking about The Shield I think you need to accept the fact that no one on here is going to watch it.

Well The Shield could be a good example but it wouldn't make any sense since it ended nearly ten years ago. But Rick and Morty (already mentioned), You're the Worst, Vice Principals, Bojack Horseman, Review, Louie, Horace and Pete, Archer, Nathan for You, Broad City, South Park, Silicon Valley and The Handmaid's Tale, (which you do watch), Atlanta, and several other shows are among the top-rated on TV on Metacritic, and I've posted about nearly all of them before. You're just talking about a worrisome trend that doesn't exist. 

3 hours ago, Ruiner said:

But Rick and Morty (already mentioned), You're the Worst, Vice Principals, Bojack Horseman, Review, Louie, Horace and Pete, Archer, Nathan for You, Broad City, South Park, Silicon Valley and The Handmaid's Tale, (which you do watch), Atlanta

- Rick and Morty is on that streaming platform for weird people who like commercials. I'll download it eventually as I very much want to see it.
- I already watch Silicon Valley which I thought you were aware of. I'm almost done with the newest season and will post my thoughts when I'm done.
- South Park has always been hit and miss for me. I'll casually watch episodes here and there but that's about it.
- I do regret not recording Atlanta when it aired and I'll probably record them all if FX ever runs a marathon.
- Vice Principals is on my list
- Didn't care enough about Archer to keep watching after the first episode
- Bojack and Louie maybe one day, Horace and Pete probably not
- No interest in You're The Worst
- No clue what Review, Nathan for You and Broad City are.

Right now I'm having a blast watching Breaking Bad again. All other TV shows are irrelevant at the moment.

Apparently in the wake of Covenant's meh take, the Alien franchise and future plans are being reassessed. I hope that they at least get to finish out the current plotline.

What exactly is the "edge" that Modern Family is missing that makes it so much more PC, out of curiosity?  What's different about Modern Family that like, Cheers and Roseanne weren't doing 30 years ago?

It's just a safe, charming sitcom.  It's not some new development.

11 hours ago, Andrew said:

What's different about Modern Family that like, Cheers and Roseanne weren't doing 30 years ago?

Laugh tracks. People use the internet to bash and make fun of laugh tracks. Growing up I never heard that shit. Yeah I thought laugh tracks were lame but I didnt obsess over it and hold it against a show like this generation does.

1 hour ago, RainbowDragon said:

Laugh tracks. People use the internet to bash and make fun of laugh tracks. Growing up I never heard that shit. Yeah I thought laugh tracks were lame but I didnt obsess over it and hold it against a show like this generation does.

Irrelevant to the point and laugh tracks are dumb and condescending. 

Usually DC has good trailers and the first Justice League trailer was good but I didn't really care for this one. Ben Affleck looks totally disinterested, the beginning used the same music from the last trailer, Batman would die in three seconds on the battlefield with these superpowered people, they referred to him as "the Superman" which continues the stupid fucking trend of adding a "the" before superhero names and the action looks like a Transformers CGI clusterfuck. Although the trailer got a little better near the end once the remixed version of the kick ass Man of Steel theme started playing.

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Usually DC has good trailers and the first Justice League trailer was good but I didn't really care for this one. Ben Affleck looks totally disinterested, the beginning used the same music from the last trailer, Batman would die in three seconds on the battlefield with these superpowered people, they referred to him as "the Superman" which continues the stupid fucking trend of adding a "the" before superhero names and the action looks like a Transformers CGI clusterfuck. Although the trailer got a little better near the end once the remixed version of the kick ass Man of Steel theme started playing.

Just my opinion, but Gal Gadot, Henry Cavill, and Jason Mamoa are horrible actors. Batman and maybe the Flash are the only things keeping me interested. Not a fan of the Wonder Woman slow mo fighting/posing for the camera look at my flowing hair" crap. Enough of that, its not a hairspray commercial. Aquaman still seems to be a bit of a dick and not a nice guy character. I did like the Green Lantern and Penguin references though.

Marvel news!

New trailer rocks hard. Loving this and can't wait for this to come out.

Ant-Man news! Michelle Pfeiffer is playing the original Wasp, Janet Van Dyne. Laurence Fishburne is playing Bill Foster, AKA Goliath. Hannah John-Kamen is playing the villain Ghost, which is interesting because Ghost is male in the comics. Curious if it's either a gender swap for the movie or if it's meant to be androgynous?

Captain Marvel news! The movie is a prequel to the MCU and takes place in the 90s. Nick Fury will be in it with the titular character, and he'll have both his eyes! That's how you know it's a prequel. The enemies are going to be the nefarious Skrulls! That's incredibly impressive since I thought the rights to the Skrulls were held by Fox with Fantastic Four.

Apparently there was a new Black Panther trailer shown and the Avengers: Infinity War trailer from earlier this month was replayed, but neither are due to be released online yet. Why do you tease us, Marvel?

Anyway, I'm super excited for everything.

Wait, breaking news! In Thor, Surtur the fire demon is going to be played by Clancy Brown, cementing his second role in the MCU after playing the Blacksmith in Daredevil Season 2. Thankfully it's not really a conflict since Surtur's body will be CGI.

13 hours ago, RainbowDragon said:

Modern Family doesn't have one so I'm not sure what that has to do with this...

I can't ever remember Comic Con having this much news and trailers released in one year before. The Thor trailer looks good, although it's disappointing that Marvel continues to ignore the ending from The Incredible Hulk where he learned how to control his powers. The trailer for season 2 of Stranger Things looks awesome. I guess they released new trailer for Blade Runner which I haven't seen yet. Seems weird to release it now as a trailer released less than a week ago. Why not just wait a few days and debut that trailer at Comic Con and save the new one for later? There's also a Westworld season 2 trailer that I haven't watched yet. I didn't like the Ready Player One trailer.

Bunch of news that I heard and I'm too lazy to find links so google it if you don't believe me...

- The Flash movie is called Flashpoint
- The main character in that new Star Trek show is the half-sister of Spock
- The DCEU is getting a Joker vs. Harley Quinn movie
- Michael Emerson is joining Arrow which sucks cause I don't watch it anymore
- Hal Jordan and John Stewart will both be in the Green Lantern movie

I don't know how I feel about the Flash movie being based on Flashpoint. We haven't even had an origin movie, and DC thinks it's earned a story about alternate timelines? You do you, DC.

1 hour ago, pen said:

I don't know how I feel about the Flash movie being based on Flashpoint. We haven't even had an origin movie, and DC thinks it's earned a story about alternate timelines? You do you, DC.

Maybe they're gonna use it to fix the abortion of a universe they've created.

Rumors have been going around that Ben Affleck is looking to be done with the DCEU. Maybe they'll use Flashpoint to come up with some time travel stuff where a young Bruce Wayne (aka not Ben Affleck) becomes the new Batman.

1 hour ago, pen said:

We haven't even had an origin movie, and DC thinks it's earned a story about alternate timelines?

Reminds me of when they rushed Sinestro becoming a villain during the credits of Green Lantern.

Damon Lindelof talks potential Lost revival: There are a few ways they could go about bringing Lost back. They could have it be a soft reboot and bring back Jorge Garcia as the connective tissue between the original and new versions of the show. Garcia appears to have been jobless since Lost ended and would probably jump at the chance to receive a paycheck. I don't think this is a good idea though. The final season sucked and the way it ended sucked and it's best to avoid connecting a new show to the original series when it ended so divisively. I think their best bet is a total reboot not tied to the original. Take the best of Lost and build on it and don't use any of the crap from the original show. Maybe make DHARMA more scary and less hippy. No flash-sideways. They'd obviously come up with new stuff too. I think it would be cool if Jack dies in the pilot and Kate becomes the star as was originally intended.