EchoX860

Got (Movie/TV) News

14,455 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, pen said:

So you've never heard of Lords Of Shadow then?

I did have a CV for PS2 but I don't remember the name if it. Didn't play it much. I also know of the Rondo of Blood remake for PSP but I didn't have a PSP to play it. I like googling lists of top CV games of all time, that's always fun. Symphony, Rondo (original), and SCV IV would probably be my top 3 but I'm not sure of the order. I think it's tough to do the rankings because the series changed with Symphony so you have to included the Metroidvania while also being respectful to the older more linear games. Rondo gives you the best of both IMO because it has lots of alternate routes. I think the only flaw with that game is that you don't get the cool 8 way directional whip from part IV.

Lords of Shadow is okay but the second one is a bit of a mess and don't even get started on that atrocity that was on the 3DS.

Much as I hate to agree with DD, the Castlevania franchise is absolutely in a rut right now and I can only hope the show convinces Konami that it's worth pumping out a real Castlevania game again, either a straightforward action platformer like the original series or a Metroidvania.

Actually I would do a FPS to capitalize on the success of games like Halo. Instead of shooting, youre whipping. They already did a game that had a first person view that was in the arcades.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Lords of Shadow is okay but the second one is a bit of a mess and don't even get started on that atrocity that was on the 3DS.

Much as I hate to agree with DD, the Castlevania franchise is absolutely in a rut right now and I can only hope the show convinces Konami that it's worth pumping out a real Castlevania game again, either a straightforward action platformer like the original series or a Metroidvania.

My point was more that Lords Of Shadow was financially successful and was also a modernized Castlevania. His non-response confirms for me he's talking out the side of his ass again. 

21 minutes ago, RainbowDragon said:

Actually I would do a FPS to capitalize on the success of games like Halo. Instead of shooting, youre whipping. They already did a game that had a first person view that was in the arcades.

So Castlevania Prime.

28 minutes ago, RainbowDragon said:

Maybe if this was ten years ago.  FPSs aren't as hot as they used to be, and nostalgic retro style games are very in vogue.  I don't see any downside to making a new Castlevania game with a little of the old school flair to it.

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Maybe if this was ten years ago.  FPSs aren't as hot as they used to be, and nostalgic retro style games are very in vogue.  I don't see any downside to making a new Castlevania game with a little of the old school flair to it.

I hear it's a terrible night to have a curse.

30 minutes ago, pen said:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/20/16007174/doctor-doom-movie-noah-hawley-fox-sdcc-2017

Noah Hawley of Legion fame is working on a project for Fox that involves Doctor Doom.

It's unclear if this project is Doom-centric or if it's another FF movie.

Either way, fuck Fox.

I'm really not sure I'm seeing the issue here

35 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

I'm really not sure I'm seeing the issue here

i figured you'd say something like that. Listen, I'm as interested to find out what Hawley is doing, but at the same time, I'm one of those holding out for Fox to give up the rights to Fantastic Four and give it back to Marvel. Every move Fox makes to keep the rights pushes that happy dream one further step away. If Hawley makes something good, great, but I don't trust Fox not to fuck it up somehow.

Even if he makes something good it's still sad because it means making a good Doom that can't interact with the MCU.

I hope it totally falls through tbh

I guess it comes down to your investment in the MCU then. Because all I really care about is "is it good" and I feel rather confident that Hawley (assuming Fox doesn't meddle, but you'd hope with the recent success of Logan and Deadpool and the failure of F4 they'd know better) could put together something more interesting with the property than anything Marvel/Disney does. 

But I'm not here to argue, I don't have any particular reverence for the Doom character and for Hawley's part I'd rather he just have his undivided focus on Legion anyway, I just didn't understand the reading of the news as bad. I'd just as soon give the character to Disney and let Fox stick with the X-Universe which is excelling at the moment and stop worrying about keeping a property that's never worked for them. 

I'd like to see Doctor Doom, Galactus and Silver Surfer in the MCU. Doctor Doom could be a major, multi-movie villain like Loki, Silver Surfer could be a very fun new supporting character at first and eventually get a solo movie and Galactus could become a new big bad after Thanos. As for the Fantastic Four themselves, they're stupid, childish characters with goofy fucking powers and I don't have any interest in ever seeing them.

So the two showrunners of Game of Thrones, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, announced that their next show after GOT is coming to HBO and will be called Confederate. It takes place in an alternate world where the south won the civil war. And of course it has received a ton of backlash. Apparently these imbeciles think that Benioff, Weiss and HBO support slavery because they're making this show. I guess the people behind The Man in the High Castle must be nazis too. I wouldn't be surprised if the show gets canceled at this point because every company cowers before bullshit social media blowback nowadays. And that would be a shame because this sounds like a really interesting show.

I've often thought about how fucked up our country is going to continue to get as these young lunatics grow older and start running the show but I haven't really thought about how they're going to negatively impact different forms of media like TV, movies and video games. It's going to get really bad. Anything that could upset the snowflakes and doesn't strictly adhere to their viewpoints will be demonized and eventually that stuff will cease to exist. We'll live in a world where all forms of media are the safest, most crappy stuff imaginable...every show will be like Modern Family.

5 hours ago, Mike said:

As for the Fantastic Four themselves, they're stupid, childish characters with goofy fucking powers and I don't have any interest in ever seeing them.

That's because you've never seen them done right. 

3 hours ago, Mike said:

So the two showrunners of Game of Thrones, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, announced that their next show after GOT is coming to HBO and will be called Confederate. It takes place in an alternate world where the south won the civil war. And of course it has received a ton of backlash. Apparently these imbeciles think that Benioff, Weiss and HBO support slavery because they're making this show. I guess the people behind The Man in the High Castle must be nazis too. I wouldn't be surprised if the show gets canceled at this point because every company cowers before bullshit social media blowback nowadays. And that would be a shame because this sounds like a really interesting show.

I've often thought about how fucked up our country is going to continue to get as these young lunatics grow older and start running the show but I haven't really thought about how they're going to negatively impact different forms of media like TV, movies and video games. It's going to get really bad. Anything that could upset the snowflakes and doesn't strictly adhere to their viewpoints will be demonized and eventually that stuff will cease to exist. We'll live in a world where all forms of media are the safest, most crappy stuff imaginable...every show will be like Modern Family.

You really seriously overestimate the prominence of Tumblr geeks in society, Mike. They aren't going to be the people running the world, for god's sake. Most younger people are just normal people like you and me (closer to me than you and they have a lot more sex than either of us, but you get my point). They're just the opposite side of the 4chan coin. 

I mean Modern Family? That's a wealthy suburban jerkoff show. The most popular shows with millineals are stuff like Rick and Morty, which is as far from PC as you can get. 

6 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Modern Family is a really good show why do we keep bringing it up as our token bad show

I'd go more "milquetoast" than "bad", but Mike is the one who keeps inexplicably bringing it up as the show of the PC generation. 

Just now, Ruiner said:

I'd go more "milquetoast" than "bad", but Mike is the one who keeps inexplicably bringing it up as the show of the PC generation. 

There's gay people and interracial couples in it.  This is all the millennials' fault.

Those special effects are actually impressive. But it being SYFY, I worry they spent their entire budget on that and just pulled a few randos off the street to act. 

9 minutes ago, Andrew said:

There's gay people and interracial couples in it.  This is all the millennials' fault.

It's really weird because I don't understand what the message is supposed to be with calling it out. It's like, yeah, it's a pretty standard sitcom that doesn't really push the envelope at all, but isn't that true of nearly every network show, good and bad? As great as Parks and Rec was, it wasn't often really surprising or dark or gaudy. There's exceptions to the rule like Community and Hannibal, but they usually get canceled. 

And that's the extent of the so-called PC safe shows. On major networks, as it has been for as long as TV's existed. Elsewhere, most of the top acclaimed shows on cable networks, premium channels, and streaming services push the envelope constantly, and I'm on here plugging them all the time, @Mike, and it's your own goddamn fault that you don't watch them. Don't deliberately not watch the glut of envelope-pushing TV shows and then complain about how TV always plays it safe for these damn snowflakes. It's like only going to Chinese buffets for lunch and complaining that nobody's making burgers anymore. 

I wouldnt say the FF are childish and goofy but I always thought they were kinda lame and never cared for them. You have to remember none of us were either born or of age when the FF where at the absolutely peak of their popularity. They have not been considered "cool" for decades. Dr Doom, Galactus, and Silver Surfer are awesome though.

2 hours ago, Ruiner said:

Mike is the one who keeps inexplicably bringing it up as the show of the PC generation. 

Modern Family and Jimmy Fallon are my go-to examples of shows that I feel are 100% designed for our PC society. No edge to them whatsoever.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I worry they spent their entire budget on that and just pulled a few randos off the street to act. 

That's definitely a reason to be concerned when watching something on Syfy but they've really gotten their act together in recent years. They're not at the level of AMC or FX but Syfy is definitely watchable now and I won't ignore a show on there just because it's on there (a mistake I almost made with Mr. Robot and USA). The Expanse is one of the best shows on TV.

2 hours ago, Ruiner said:

Elsewhere, most of the top acclaimed shows on cable networks, premium channels, and streaming services push the envelope constantly, and I'm on here plugging them all the time, @Mike, and it's your own goddamn fault that you don't watch them.

I never said that every show on TV is safe, politically correct junk. I just voiced my concerns that in the future it will be. And I don't know what shows you're talking. We watch plenty of the same shows. If you're talking about The Shield I think you need to accept the fact that no one on here is going to watch it.

1 hour ago, RainbowDragon said:

I wouldnt say the FF are childish and goofy but I always thought they were kinda lame and never cared for them.

They have such goofy powers. Some big rock guy, a generic fire-ability person, someone who goes invisible and Stretch Armstrong.