Got (Wrestling) News

16,172 posts in this topic

LMAO Lacey Evans not happy with Sammy Guevara's rolls. I'm shocked he turned out to be a good wrestler without the expert guidance of Lacey Evans. It all worked out, though. WWE lost out on a future 205 Live roster member and AEW acquired a superstar of the future. It wouldn't be the first time WWE whiffed on a potential star of the future. The 0:42 mark in my video says all that needs to be said about how good they are with seeing talent.

I want to stress again that when I'm complimenting the ring work of someone like Statlander or Swole, the big caveat is that I'm saying they're good for a women's roster member. The only two truly good AEW women's wrestlers when compared to the men are Shida and Riho, in my opinion.

I can see why you might not like Matt Hardy's stuff. I'm totally against most of the over the top stuff that he's done and I think AEW has to be very careful with what they allow. I think there was some blowback on his debut because they showed him teleporting all over the arena and they actually came out the next day and said he wasn't teleporting, it was just a hologram projection or something. I've been mostly okay with stuff so far cause it hasn't been too out there. Although I do think fans and wrestlers exaggerate just how creative Hardy is. The Broken character is literally his first successful character he's ever had. He's had like a million different types of characters dating back to the personalityless Hardy Boyz and none of them before Broken were memorable.

As far as Ortiz, I like the guy but he definitely needs to tone down some of his antics. Like sometimes you'll see him get hit, he doesn't fall, and then all of a sudden he'll face plant 100 mph into the ground. Some of his comedy stuff exposes the business because it looks so fake and comical.

I don't know how you feel about our four current champions but this is a spectacular group of wrestlers right here. Not a weak champion among the bunch.

Oh yeah the champions and the roster in general: aces. It's still pretty fantastic to see Jon Moxley as the superstar I was saying he was for years while the entire internet turned on him because of the lame shit WWE put him up to. IIRC you were always an Ambrose guy too but there was a consensus among a lot of online fans that he was easily the weakest of the three Shield guys and what a bad take that looks like now.

3 hours ago, Ruiner II said:

IIRC you were always an Ambrose guy too

Hell yeah. He was always my favorite of the three Shield guys and I stuck with him even when he left the group and went on to do mostly nothing besides be a mid-carder. And now that I think about it, Moxey is probably my favorite full-time wrestler. I'd say Moxley, Omega and Styles in that order.

WWE completely dropped the ball with him.. He went from a great run in the Shield, wrestling the Undertaker and having great 3v3 matches to doing nothing memorable on his own. He had a forgettable match against lazy Lesnar at Mania. Then they make him world champ during an extremely rare 9-month or so period where SmackDown was awesome. It seemed like things were turning around for him and then they have him do goofy comedy stuff as champ, wrestler Ziggler at SummerSlam to show the world that the SD world title is minor league and then unfortunately for him AJ was the hottest guy in WWE at the time and had to take the title off of him. Then it was all downhill from there with comedy skits, a terrible heel turn and mid-card purgatory.

I'm so happy he left. My foolish WWE-loving friend wished Moxley stayed there. He'd rather Moxley as a mid-card comedy act in WWE than as world champion in AEW.

People in power in WWE like Vince and Triple H will do media interviews and they won't mention AEW by name and they won't admit they're competition but then conveniently with Fyter Fest approaching, they'll announce on one weeks notice that they're having NXT: The Great American Bash during the next two weeks.

Typical WWE...they only bother putting an effort in when competition is breathing down their neck. 

Anyone have feelings about the inferno that has been pro wrestling news for the last week? WWE being in the middle of a full-scale COVID outbreak that they're playing coy about publicly and to the talent, 75% of British wrestling stars having sexual misconduct allegations come out, Velveteen Dream preying on teenage boys (again) My favorite is the report that WWE had the whole Raw roster tested for COVID, didn't like the results, so sent them back to be tested again. 

And Bryan Alvarez indicated on Twitter that there is substantially worse to come. What a wild time to have that guy's job. 

When people get COVID at my job, they don't tell you who it is because of HIPAA. They'll post something saying "an employee who works at returns usually Tue-Sat 10-6 and last worked Wednesday got COVID." They basically tell you everything you need to know to figure out who it is but they can't say who it is. So I understand WWE not telling the roster who got infected because they're not supposed to. Not to mention it would leak and the infected person might not want that info out there. But they've still been so sleazy about this whole pandemic.

AEW is doing blood testing and WWE wants to save a buck so they're doing sorta accurate nose swabs, not accurate at all temp checks and pointless questionnaires. They wouldn't let family/friends in attendance wear masks. They brought in those ridiculous plexiglass walls. They don't want talent revealing they tested positive. And let's not forget that when the virus was bad a few months ago AEW filmed about six weeks TV at once and then shut down for over a month while WWE kept going because stubborn Vince insisted on the shows being live.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

When people get COVID at my job, they don't tell you who it is because of HIPAA. They'll post something saying "an employee who works at returns usually Tue-Sat 10-6 and last worked Wednesday got COVID." They basically tell you everything you need to know to figure out who it is but they can't say who it is. So I understand WWE not telling the roster who got infected because they're not supposed to. Not to mention it would leak and the infected person might not want that info out there. But they've still been so sleazy about this whole pandemic.

AEW is doing blood testing and WWE wants to save a buck so they're doing sorta accurate nose swabs, not accurate at all temp checks and pointless questionnaires. They wouldn't let family/friends in attendance wear masks. They brought in those ridiculous plexiglass walls. They don't want talent revealing they tested positive. And let's not forget that when the virus was bad a few months ago AEW filmed about six weeks TV at once and then shut down for over a month while WWE kept going because stubborn Vince insisted on the shows being live.

If someone at my job tests positive, I'd personally hope we'd suspend operations immediately pending tests for everyone else and a deep clean of the store. I don't know if the current ownership would actually do that because rich people are generally greedy like that, but it seems to be pretty standard practice in most of the world right now. 

This is probably more of a post for general discussion, but goddamn, the politicization of this public health crisis is the dumbest fucking thing. The conspiracy theories I see people spewing to justify not wearing a mask trump even flat earther-ism. 

8 hours ago, Ruiner II said:

Just read the recap for Extreme Rules. Holy fuck, dude

Outside of seeing what Banks and Vega are wearing and occasionally watching Styles or Bryan matches, I have been fast-forwarding 100% of Raw and SD for months now (not really sure why I even keep DVRing the shows) so I'm far from an expert on WWE's product but it all seems so awful. Strowman should've won the title during his first Lesnar match. This title reign is three years too late. With Kofi and McIntyre's good title runs, I thought WWE was getting out of their terrible habit of four months of rematches with the same opponent against the champ but looks like there's more to come with Wyatt and Strowman. And no wonder why the match was horrible, it involved Wyatt going back to his crappy first character.

Even if SummerSlam was still in Boston, I still wouldn't have gone. Right before the pandemic, my friends girlfriend was sick so he offered me a free ticket to go to SmackDown with him. Goldberg was even going to be there and I'm not sure if I've ever seen him live before at any of the old WCW or WWE shows I'd gone to. I still said I didn't want to go. Free ticket and getting to see one of my favorite wrestlers ever live possibly for the first and last time and I still passed.

It's a shame McIntyre's title run is happening during such a bad period of WWE TV and in front of no fans. Right now is the worst WWE has ever been in my 22 years of watching it. 2010 had previously been their worst year when all the B-level celebrities were infesting the shows each week but at least then they had some star power.

How I'd fix WWE...

- Cut Raw to 2 hours and air it from 8-10 to align with NXT and SD.

- Only 12 PPVs a year with one per month. 4 hour PPVs for Rumble, Mania and SummerSlam, 3 hours for everything else.

- Strictly enforce the brand split and no main roster wrestlers will ever appear on NXT unless they're a member of that roster like Balor.

- NXT UK and all other indy-destroying, territory expansion of WWE will be canceled. They don't need 95 minor league promotions to fill a Raw and SD roster.

- 24/7, Women's Tag, Raw Tag and SD Tag titles will all be discontinued. WWE Tag titles will be created and champs can defend on Raw or SD.

- Titles will mean something. No redesigns ever month, no custom side plates and no frequent title changes.

- Every writer will be fired and agents will help wrestlers cut promos the right way.

- Storylines won't suck.

This might've been the worst episode of Dynamite ever. What a chore to get through.

Why did some indy guy we've never seen before and will never seen again get a 5 minute promo to start the show? Who gives a shit what he had to say? The first hour had way too many promos and why do we have to hear from Britt Baker every single week?

We witnessed two complete unknowns wrestling on AEW's flagship show because their women's division is so poor. They don't even have enough depth on the roster to have a singles match with people we're familiar with and yet they want to have a pointless tag team tournament. What a waste of time. A tournament for a tag division that doesn't exist, featuring women from a women's division that barely exists padded with Dark jobbers to help fill all 16 spots.

I recently stopped watching Dark because I couldn't stomach seeing random indy nobody's in every match. And now this crap has bled over into Dynamite. The Cody open challenge, women's match, Hangman match and MJF match were all infested with non-roster members. AEW needs to get their shit together with this roster.

Jericho is directionless out there. One week he's feuding with Jurassic Express, the next week it's Orange Cassidy, the next week it's Mike Tyson, the next week it's Matt Hardy. It's like they have nothing for him to do and are just throwing random rivals at him. And I'm so sick of 2000 Earl Hebner ripoff Aubrey Edwards and her antics taking the spotlight away from the important people in the ring.

What a weird take. All I've seen from anyone is praise for one of the best episodes of Dynamite to date, which I agree with wholeheartedly, and in this case the ratings actually agree as well since they had their best night in several months, cracked the top five on cable and were the number one show on all of cable in men 18-49. 

Eddie Kingston is a dude I'd never seen before and he was fucking great, easily the best open challenge segment to date. MJF and Britt Baker were fantastic as always, the falls count anywhere match was a blast, the main event was really good, even a sorta squash match with Hangman and a Dark Order geek was really fun. They're doing a storyline of Shida calling out women to populate the barely existent women's division and the two we saw both seem like solid additions. And, of course, you then had Lance Archer stealing the whole show.

One of the faster two hour shows I've watched in a while. 

Lance Archer throwing that victim through the ceiling was spectacular. Outside of that half-baked feud with Joey Janela, he hasn't done anything since his TNT title match. I really hope they start doing something with him again.

I don't have a problem with Britt Baker. She has more personality than every other women on the roster put together. I just don't think we need to see her every single week while she recovers from her injury. It's annoying when there's a good match going on and you hear Tony Schiavone talking about a note he got from Baker, taking the spotlight away from the action in the ring. We don't need this much time devoted to a match between Baker and Swole that is happening in September.

The FCA match was fun and the main event was good. The Hangman match was pretty good for how short it was and I'm really intrigued by this Hangman/Omega/FTR business.

I just didn't really care for anything else in the episode. And I'm especially not a fan of Moxley still involved with Cage. Nothing against Cage but I just want him to move on to his next rival, hopefully MJF. He's the world champ but I can't recall seeing him ever close the show, outside of title defenses. He's like AJ Styles when he was WWE Champion, never being the focus of the show.

I had heard his name in the week leading up to the match but I had no idea who Warhorse was. I instantly liked him when I saw him. He looked like some Native American, rock 'n' roll Ultimate Warrior. The match was good too. I wish Warhorse was the TNT title match loser to get the contract instead of Ricky Starks. After the match when Dark Order came out I'm like "oh cool, maybe they signed him and this is setting up a tag match" but unfortunately he just got tossed out of the ring and Zack Ryder came out to help Cody. Yawn. AEW can't become TNA and keep getting everyone WWE gets rid of. Ryder as a jobber is fine by me but I don't want him getting wins at the expense of the core AEW roster members.

I didn't like the 10-man tag to open the show. It felt like there were way too many shenanigans and not enough wrestling. 

The Canadian destroyer in the women's match...lol. I'm in stitches watching these hilarious women's matches. Thank god the tag tournament isn't going to be on Dynamite.

I like how it finally seems like the AEW World Champion is going to be the main event most weeks now. The Mox vs. Allin title match announcement was a very pleasant surprise. And I loved MJF's promo. While I still think it's too soon for him to be world champion (he wasn't exaggerating much when he said he'll be around for 25 more years), I'm very much looking forward to this Mox vs. MJF rivalry. The promos are going to be great.

I'm glad they did the Warhorse match because there was apparently a big push for it on social media and it's cool that they're willing to experiment with a guy who's got a following, but I wasn't a big fan of him in anything but a comedic enhancement talent role. The ring intro was the best part of the whole thing. For indie open challengers, I'd go Edwards > Starks > Warhorse, and I don't know if he should get a contract like the former two. 

Darby getting a title match is cool and all but it doesn't really make any sense. It's not a huge thing but I do hope they start taking the rankings more seriously. 

I'm okay with Matt Cordona getting a chance because it's not like he's ever really been positioned to show off if he's good, but I'm not exactly thrilled to see him. What's way more concerning is fuckin' Funkadactyl Cameron showing up--I get Cordona because he's good friends with an executive and has gotten over with big crowds before, but Cameron? The person best known for trying to pin someone who was face down, and embarrassing herself in front of Steve Austin on Tough Enough? Why on earth would you hire her?

And God bless Ricky Starks for agreeing to that absurd skateboard spot that I never need to see again, and in general I think a moratorium should be placed on thumbtack spots for a few months at least. Easily the most gnarly thumbtack spot I've ever seen, and if a worse one exists I don't wish to see it. 

1 hour ago, Ruiner II said:

1. For indie open challengers, I'd go Edwards > Starks > Warhorse, and I don't know if he should get a contract like the former two. 

2. Darby getting a title match is cool and all but it doesn't really make any sense. It's not a huge thing but I do hope they start taking the rankings more seriously. 

3. What's way more concerning is fuckin' Funkadactyl Cameron showing up

4. And God bless Ricky Starks for agreeing to that absurd skateboard spot

1. I don't know what they're thinking signing all of these guys. A two-hour WCW Thunder type of show on Friday nights would make sense to showcase the big chunk of the roster not seen much but I don't think it's the right move to start a show like that now without fans and Edwards seems like yet another guy who will just be in the audience and not seen in the ring much.

2. The rankings are kinda BS anyways because everyone relevant is padding their wins against jobbers on Dark. Natural Nightmares and Sabian/Havoc earned title shots by racking up those types of wins.

3. They don't have nearly enough roster members to fill up this foolish tournament so they need anyone they can get. I hope she won't get signed.

4. I was actually thinking that the spot wasn't gonna be that good. I didn't think Allin was going to be able to connect with the skateboard on the back effectively. Unfortunately for Ricky Starks, I was very wrong.

AEW should combine the money their paying for all these WWE castoffs and throw it at CM Punk. Roster is getting way too big and these castoffs don’t exactly move the needle. 

I don't know that I'd agree the roster is too big, if anything it's lacking depth. The tag division is strong right now but it really hit the skids with the pandemic, the women's roster is razor thin, and if you look at their roster they've got almost nobody left for Cody to face that sounds exciting that hasn't already lost to him. Moxley doesn't have any fresh, credible challengers after MJF unless the Omega/Page split happens.

But the line needs to be drawn with the WWE guys. I respect that they're the types to be there for their friends and most of these guys they're hiring are fine but they aren't 'elite'. If Sami Zayn or Roderick Strong become available, they should be signed immediately, but that's not the case. Most of the *great* wrestlers Triple H spent all those years scooping up are locked in for at least a few years.

14 hours ago, Omar said:

AEW should combine the money their paying for all these WWE castoffs and throw it at CM Punk. Roster is getting way too big and these castoffs don’t exactly move the needle. 

I don't want to see CM Punk, honestly. I've seen him for probably 30 total minutes on that WWE show and he is just there for the money. He has no interest in wrestling at all. I want to see people in AEW who want to be there, not someone phoning it in. Punk can continue to fail at his other ventures like MMA, comic writing and acting and leave wrestling to people who like wrestling.

I'm just sick of his antics. He hates WWE so he talks shit about his former co-workers who did nothing wrong to him like Miz. He takes his anger at WWE out on the wrestling industry as a whole which makes no sense. If you hate your job at Stop & Shop, you're not gonna develop a hatred for all supermarkets. I'm not gonna feel sympathy for a guy who spent 14 straight months as WWE Champion, wrestled the Rock twice and wrestled the Undertaker at WrestleMania. Meanwhile, people like Christian and Ziggler could've been mega stars if given the same chances. And then Punk hilariously has to crawl back to the wrestling industry when the well starts to dry up and talk about the thing he hates most. Lol. Fuck that guy.

8 hours ago, Ruiner II said:

I don't know that I'd agree the roster is too big

Looking at Wikipedia and only counting the men who are legit members of the roster (not counting people like Cima), the roster sizes are as follows...

AEW: 58 
Raw: 35
SD:  33

I'm not saying AEW needs to cut down to Raw size but the roster is still too big. There are a lot of people who are doing nothing most of the time, people like Archer, Janela and Butcher & Blade. Scorpio Sky needs to go out on his own. They need to get Hangman and Omega back to being singles wrestlers. They also need to find time for Kingston and Starks now. It's crazy that the roster is this big and yet Dark is filled to the brim with no names each week.

1 hour ago, Omar said:

Good article on why hiring Zack Ryder was a shitty move for AEW: https://wrestlingheadlines.com/sir-sams-court-zack-ryder-is-not-elite-enough-for-aew/

Agree with every word. I’m a huge AEW fan, easily the most I’ve enjoyed wrestling in a long long time but I cringed when I saw Zack Ryder. 

I don't blame Ryder for staying in WWE for so long. He was making a good living and it's not like AEW existed years ago and he could've gone there. Where was he gonna go? Rinky dink ROH? Move to Japan? Past their prime for 10 years TNA? WWE was the best option. 

I do agree with everything else in that article and like the many other wrestling darlings on this forum over the years that never panned out like Ziggler, Wyatt 1.0, the Nexus and John Morrison, I never gave a shit about Zack Ryder or his dumb YouTube videos.