Got (Wrestling) News

15,509 posts in this topic

I don't know if any of you have been following this GFW stuff but Jarrett is taking a leave of absence and someone from Sports Illustrated is reporting that Anthem is looking to sell the company. I'd love for WWE to step in and buy it. I want classic TNA on WWE Network.

Also, I don't know if any of you saw but Shane forgot his lines on SD for about 20 seconds and finally the crowd broke up this painfully awkward moment by cheering his name. That was tough to watch. Shane used to be pretty good on the mic from what I remember (although never as good as Vince or Stephanie) but since he's returned he's never gotten those mic skills back. He's always beat red, sweating and nervous-looking whenever he has to talk. You listen to him just knowing he's going to mess up.

A DEFY show I got tickets for just announced the main event as a title match between Shane Strickland and none other than Matt Riddle. That's money well spent. 

I went to my first ever “Live Event” tonight. I normally don’t ever consider going to a non-televised live show but since this one was on the weekend I said fuck it why not. Very very pleasantly surprised, I’d say this show beats what I’d say on a televised Raw 9 times out of 10. All the stars came out, including Cena who I was surprised still does live events, and they all give a lot of effort on their matches. And it’s actually fun seeing them play to the crowd instead of a camera, it’s the only place where you can obviously tell who is a face and who is a heel. 

6 hours ago, Omar said:

I went to my first ever “Live Event” tonight. I normally don’t ever consider going to a non-televised live show but since this one was on the weekend I said fuck it why not. Very very pleasantly surprised, I’d say this show beats what I’d say on a televised Raw 9 times out of 10. All the stars came out, including Cena who I was surprised still does live events, and they all give a lot of effort on their matches. And it’s actually fun seeing them play to the crowd instead of a camera, it’s the only place where you can obviously tell who is a face and who is a heel. 

Yeah the wrestling usually isn't particularly strong (unless it's an NXT show, presumably because there are way less of them) but it's almost always a fun show if it's in a good market. I'm pretty sure a lot of wrestlers have said that they prefer house shows to TV. 

13 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

Yeah the wrestling usually isn't particularly strong (unless it's an NXT show, presumably because there are way less of them) but it's almost always a fun show if it's in a good market. I'm pretty sure a lot of wrestlers have said that they prefer house shows to TV. 

That’s the term I was looking for! House show. For some reason I was blanking on it so I kept calling it a “live event”. 

Jesus, I hear that the show's going well, I tune in, it immediately goes off a fucking cliff.

EDIT: Lesnar/Strowman was at least good, but what a dud of a finish. Strowman absolutely should've won, and if not, it should've taken more than one F5 to put him away.

So we get yet another Reigns' coronation just to set up yet another coronation at WM. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

14 minutes ago, Omar said:

So we get yet another Reigns' coronation just to set up yet another coronation at WM. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Bingo. After being shocked about the ending to the main event, I was wondering why Lesnar won and fucking Reigns is why Lesnar won. Clearly they're setting up Reigns over Lesnar for WM so Reigns can get yet another lame WrestleMania Moment ending. And now with Brock likely on vacation, there's no world champ for a few months. On the bright side, Brock has had a damn solid title run (way better than his last one) and since Balor messed things up last year, the Universal title has added a ton of credibility with the champs that followed.

I just don't get it though. Since saving his career by being split from Wyatt, Strowman has been on a slow and steady build towards winning the title last night. He improved in the ring, got in better shape, developed a character and spent months squashing hapless jobbers before transitioning to the main roster where Big Show put him over like a champ during three big time Raw main events. He beat Reigns two or three times. This is good, solid Goldberg and Kurt Angle-like build-up that you don't see nowadays. He was ready for the belt.

I'm not going to be dramatic and say Strowman is dead or anything, but he'll never ever be as hot as he just was again. If they really want the dumbass Roman match, should've just had Strowman win here and then Lesnar can win the rematch at the Rumble. I don't doubt he'll win it at some point, but it won't be the same. 

16 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

I'm not going to be dramatic and say Strowman is dead or anything, but he'll never ever be as hot as he just was again. If they really want the dumbass Roman match, should've just had Strowman win here and then Lesnar can win the rematch at the Rumble. I don't doubt he'll win it at some point, but it won't be the same. 

It won't. Seeing him sit there leaning on the announcers table in defeat took out any of the "monster" he had in him. Honestly it happened with Samoa Joe too. He talked this big game, beat the crap out of Lesnar the whole match and then one little F-5 out of nowhere beats him. It took all his legitimacy away. At this point Lesnar is doing way more harm than good but WWE has this tunnel vision of getting Reigns to be "the guy" that they're willing to demolish everyone around them just so Reigns can get his 100th coronation that everyone boos.

What really sucks about WWE's tunnel vision is that they had an organically over powerhouse that the fans are ready to love and instead they fed him to the beast just to keep Plan Roman on track.

Both main events sucked last night to be honest.  Brock/Joe was a substantially better match than Brock/Strowman.

5 hours ago, Ruiner said:

I'm not going to be dramatic and say Strowman is dead or anything, but he'll never ever be as hot as he just was again.

That's the worst part about it. Like where does he go from here that isn't a disappointment? This is like if Benoit had not won in the main event of WM20 or if Goldberg lost to Hogan. Forgive my old ass references but WWE never properly builds someone like this so I don't have anything recent to compare it to. The closest proper build I can think of is Ryback who was getting very over but that got ruined when they strapped the rocket to his back and put him in a PPV main event with Punk.

32 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Both main events sucked last night to be honest.  Brock/Joe was a substantially better match than Brock/Strowman.

Yeah I agree with this. Cena/Reigns was very boring for the first few minutes, got pretty good near the middle and then near the end it got kinda boring again. And I wasn't a fan of the main event either. Brock's first bad match this year.

18 minutes ago, Mike said:

That's the worst part about it. Like where does he go from here that isn't a disappointment? This is like if Benoit had not won in the main event of WM20 or if Goldberg lost to Hogan. Forgive my old ass references but WWE never properly builds someone like this so I don't have anything recent to compare it to. The closest proper build I can think of is Ryback who was getting very over but that got ruined when they strapped the rocket to his back and put him in a PPV main event with Punk.

Yeah I agree with this. Cena/Reigns was very boring for the first few minutes, got pretty good near the middle and then near the end it got kinda boring again. And I wasn't a fan of the main event either. Brock's first bad match this year.

Booker T losing at WrestleMania 19 was the worst.

9 minutes ago, Omar said:

Booker T losing at WrestleMania 19 was the worst.

Yeah that sucked too and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember his push being that big. Sure the match took place at Mania but it felt more like an afterthought WM match than Booker's big debut as a main eventer. Although he definitely should've won. Booker T and DDP were instant credible main eventers when they came to WWE and sadly WWE fucked them both up. Luckily Booker T stuck around long enough to eventually become a top guy.

I always felt like WM19 was an overrated WM show. The main event and HBK/Y2J were obviously great and I'm sure some of the forgotten undercard matches were good but overall I didn't like the show very much. Rock/Austin wasn't that good and was weirdly a forgotten match, Booker T losing was dumb, Hogan's match was so upsetting to see coming off his classic one year earlier and Taker had his most bullshit WM match I've seen of his. 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

- Jeff Hardy tore his rotator cuff and will be out for six months.

- Maria is pregnant so if you weren't convinced Mike Bennett's WWE career is over yet, there ya go.

Nah I think Maria made a brilliant play here. Finally sign with WWE, immediately get them to pay for your husband's rehab, then start your family with a well-paying job that's now secure indefinitely because WWE is terrified of bad PR. Mike Bennett having a good WWE career was always a slim chance to begin with. 

And yes, WWE has no concept of how to push people, and the importance of trajectory. They always peak a push too soon, no concept of why it's better to be slowly moving up then going way up, then down, and then stagnant until eventually going up again. It happened with Owens, Ambrose, Wyatt, Bayley, Sasha, Punk, Joe, and now it's happening with Braun. The only recent example of a well-timed main event push is Rollins, but then they made him a total pussy for his title reign and botched his face turn and look where he is now. 

1 hour ago, Ruiner said:

Nah I think Maria made a brilliant play here. Finally sign with WWE, immediately get them to pay for your husband's rehab, then start your family with a well-paying job that's now secure indefinitely because WWE is terrified of bad PR. Mike Bennett having a good WWE career was always a slim chance to begin with. 

Yeah that's pretty brilliant. She must've gotten advice from Awesome Kong.

God the end of Raw was great. Say what you want about Enzo but at least people care about the division a little now and it’s so satisfying to see him get beat up. 

That was a fascinating segment from every angle. Only thing I would change is, if it was supposed to be a double turn, having Neville drop his heel cadence, since the crowd seemed confused about how to react. But everything else was great. The weirdness of it being the main event, Enzo being such a great natural heel, Neville being amazing, it's just really ambitious stuff that you don't see anymore. It's the kind of thing that feels like a potential turning point for the division, depending on the flow through. If Neville's going to the main roster, and it's just more goofy angles and bathroom break Raw matches, all you accomplished was Enzo totally burying the entire division. If you're going to actually start presenting the main guys and their matches and important and giving Raw viewers a reason to be interested in watching 205 Live (which by all accounts is a decent show), combined with some of the great smaller guys in NXT maybe coming in (Hideo, Gargano, Almas, Black, Strong), it could become a much-needed highlight on Raw. 

Shit, throw Finn in there for some added credibility, it's not like his never-ending feud with Wyatt is doing him any favors. 

7 hours ago, Mike said:

I always felt like WM19 was an overrated WM show. The main event and HBK/Y2J were obviously great and I'm sure some of the forgotten undercard matches were good but overall I didn't like the show very much. Rock/Austin wasn't that good and was weirdly a forgotten match, Booker T losing was dumb, Hogan's match was so upsetting to see coming off his classic one year earlier and Taker had his most bullshit WM match I've seen of his. 

It is I, defender of WM 19, here to stand up for this great injustice.  Let's do a rundown.

• Hardy v. Mysterio: Best cruiserweight match ever at Mania (were there even that many?).  Solid story, fun spots, quick sprint.  Good opener.
  • Undertaker v. Two Big Dudes: Worst match on the show but tbh it's not even THAT bad and at least it's pretty quick with a fun run-in from a talentless jerkoff.  Far from Taker's worst Mania match because, dude, have you SEEN that atrocity with Giant Gonzalez?  I'd take this over the overlong boring shitbrawls he has in his first two Triple H matches too.
  • Women's Triple Threat: Passable but not noteworthy, basically the best you can ask of an 2000's Women's match in WWE.
  • Triple Threat Tag Match: NOW it's getting good.  Five awesome wrestlers, and Rhyno, having a super fun match.  Easily three and a half stars, if not more.  Show's picking up.
  • HBK v. Y2J: Need I say more?  Show-stealer, awesome match, would be best of the night on most PPVs but not this time.
  • HHH v. Booker T: Okay the ending sucks brutally but this is still one of Triple H's less offensive Mania matches and despite HHH's history with momentum killing, the show manages to stay strong through this match.
  • Hogan v. Vince: Now is where I start really taking issue with your opinion.  Hogan's "CLASSIC" at Mania X8?  That's a crowd-made classic.  It was an average match with a hot fucking crowd.  You know what this was?  An AWESOME street fight.  Vince knows how to take a beating and this match may have the best reason for Hogan to come back to WWE.  Watch it again with fresh eyes, this match is a blast.
  • Rock v. Austin: Forgotten match?  For you, maybe.  This is the best of the Rock/Austin series because it feels intensely personal, and unlike their WM X7 encounter, it isn't marred by an offensive and nonsensical booking decision.  These guys always brought out the best in each other and this is the best Rock/Austin match bar none, in my opinion.  Not even to get into the emotional aspect of this essentially being the swan song for both guys.
  • Brock v. Kurt: Obviously awesome, we all know that.

No Wrestlemania is awesome top to bottom but this show is consistently good to great, has three MOTY candidates in it plus an all time street fight.  Only Wrestlemanias 17 (overrated but still a good show), 21, and 30 are in the same atmosphere as this one.