Got (Wrestling) News

15,444 posts in this topic

Meltzer also had this to say on the Observer message board:

Look, at this point everyone in wrestling knows the story, in both GFW and WWE. Even the reporters who badly wanted to say it was wrong to make me look bad have acknowledged it happened with the only question being the alcohol content consumed by either of the two, not the incident nor the wording.

Plus, I did get the wording confirmed, which most everyone knows anyway.

This is the kind of story that wrestlers usually come out and deny to protect their own, and there were dozens of them, and not one has denied it. I expected most would with so many from two companies there at the time

Point being. It happened. Shit happens. People make mistakes. It is blown up out of proportion because people are in denial becaue they think their fictional characters are real.

It's not that big of a deal. The guy was sorry and apologized and perhaps learned a lesson.

The funny part isn't him, it's the people who can't bear to accept a guy made a mistake and said he was sorry in real life, because that's what adults in real life do, but they think fictional badasses never apologize even when they are rude.

NXT: 

Still not sold on Ember beating Asuka, but their segment sold me on the match. She's a bad talker still but has great fire in the ring and comes across as believable. 

Funny that Punk took Itami's move and now Itami is using Punk's 2012 heel turn character. Love Itami though, and low-key rooting for him against Black, because he needs a win. I also understand the need to protect Black, though, cause he's awesome. 

The main event was awesome but Full Sail fucking sucks and really hurt it with their silence. Surefire way to kill that crowd is to show them a wrestling match. 

Prediction: somehow, the Takeover main event will get Roderick Strong added to make it a three-way, and he'll win the title by pinning Roode. McIntyre, whose whole shtick is that he's busted his ass harder than anybody to get here and win the NXT title, will turn heel after being more or less screwed out of the title, having another guy inserted into his one on one match and not being involved in the decision. Strong/McIntyre is the fall feud while Roode gets called up. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

So the streak is over? And they didn't even wait until the live PPV for it to happen?

No no no, it's just been long speculated that she would be the one to end it. The match isn't until Takeover. That's the sort of dumb shit booking I watch NXT to get away from. 

You obviously always have to take these things with a large grain of salt, but I think he comes across pretty well and like a smart enough guy that I can take what he's saying seriously. The stuff about Enzo sounds absolutely brutal.

The Revival, tragically, is out of action again as Scott Dawson has a rupture bicep which will see him out of action for an undetermined amount of time. Bayley is also confirmed to be out of action on a long term basis, after having her shoulder separated by Nia Jax last week. 

They should have ended the match after Strowman threw an office chair like a baseball to a charging Roman Reigns' face. That was amazing and hilarious, great sell job by Roman. 

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

That Last Man Standing match was awesome...and that's saying something considering that is probably my least favorite match-type in all of wrestling.

Which is weird since literally every recent one has been great. Tonight, Cross/Asuka, Ambrose/Owens, Cena/Wyatt, Roman/Show, Show/Del Rio, and I'm sure others I'm not remembering. It's probably got one of the highest recent success rates of WWE gimmicks, other than maybe ladder matches. Why wouldn't it be something that's actually crappy like cage matches? 

Even with a likely four-hour runtime, they have way too many matches scheduled for SummerSlam. Bayley gets hurt, they already have a full card, they should just cancel the Raw women's title match. Instead they have to pull a new challenger out of their ass at the last minute so we can get some thrown together title match. I feel like the only reason this title match is still happening is because WWE fears it would cause outrage if they canceled a women's match. Raw women's match should be canceled, Neville vs. Tozawa should be on the Raw after SummerSlam, SD tag titles and SD women's match should be on the pre-show and then you'd have a nice seven match card which gives all of these matches plenty of time and maybe the show could end early and not drag on for a dreadful 4+ hours. At least WWE is smart and holding off on Miz vs. Jordan until later on.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Even with a likely four-hour runtime, they have way too many matches scheduled for SummerSlam. Bayley gets hurt, they already have a full card, they should just cancel the Raw women's title match. Instead they have to pull a new challenger out of their ass at the last minute so we can get some thrown together title match. I feel like the only reason this title match is still happening is because WWE fears it would cause outrage if they canceled a women's match. Raw women's match should be canceled, Neville vs. Tozawa should be on the Raw after SummerSlam, SD tag titles and SD women's match should be on the pre-show and then you'd have a nice seven match card which gives all of these matches plenty of time and maybe the show could end early and not drag on for a dreadful 4+ hours. At least WWE is smart and holding off on Miz vs. Jordan until later on.

Am I wrong in assuming that many of those matches will be on the pre-show? I mean, the cruiserweight match from the last show I think was a testament that they fair far better with a warm pre-show crowd as opposed to a dead crowd that's been there for three hours. 

Also, while the injury is unfortunate, it isn't really a thrown together match since Sasha and Alexa were already feuding anyway. Really, the Bayley/Alexa match felt more thrown together than anything. 

Just now, Ruiner said:

Am I wrong in assuming that many of those matches will be on the pre-show? I mean, the cruiserweight match from the last show I think was a testament that they fair far better with a warm pre-show crowd as opposed to a dead crowd that's been there for three hours.

I'm guessing two matches will be on the pre-show so we'll have nine on the main card. I have a feeling Wyatt vs. Balor might get moved to the pre-show. In a perfect world that terrible Big Show vs. Big Cass match would be on the pre-show but that will never happen.

Drew McIntyre interview: http://wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2017/0810/630008/drew-mcintyre-on-being-the-john-cena-of-nxt/

Main point of interest here is that Gabe Sapolsky is on NXT creative. That helps explain the upswing in quality the last few months after a couple years of it being a real minimum effort show.

Speaking of NXT, this week's deal...

- I'm surprisingly kinda into this AoP/Sanity match. AoP as faces is an inspired, sort of strange direction, and Sanity doing sneaky dirty ambush shit to be the first team to get the best of them in a brawl is good, entertaining storytelling. The one guy dragging the entire barricade with his ziptied arm was cool. And so long as Eric Young is included in the actual match, I bet it can be a sleeper match with AoP's fast improvement and the right booking.

- Almas/Gargano should be a great match for Takeover, and I very much hope they start doing something more with him or call him up soon. I also hope No Way Jose gets called up soon, because he's pretty much in the Tye Dillinger/Tyler Breeze role at this point but not nearly as good in the ring.

- Danny Burch and especially Oney Lorcan are great pale bald British shitkickers. If the UK show is dead for the time being and the UK title isn't going to be featured on NXT at all, they should form a tag team after this series.

- I thought the Roode/McIntyre face-to-face was great. Roode is in a terrific zone as a heel, and McIntyre is still rather generic character-wise but he's a good enough talker to pull it off. He sells himself as a legit badass well, and it helps to sell whatever he's saying. Roderick Strong doesn't have that gift, but he's certainly improving and this whole thing made me really really want to see this triple threat. It's going to be pretty disappointing if Strong/McIntyre next week doesn't somehow lead to that.

Who are you all rooting for at SummerSlam? I'll rank mine below in order of who I want to win the most.

1. Braun Strowman: Who would've thought some useless oaf from the Wyatt Family could develop into one of the most entertaining people on the roster in about one year? A week doesn't go by where Strowman isn't doing at least one memorable thing on Raw. On a roster with a bunch of people I'm sick of (likely WWE's fault for making me not care), he's the wrestler I'm enjoying the most at this time and I want him to win the title.

2. Samoa Joe: While Joe is definitely past his prime in the ring, he's still good enough. And with solid mic skills and a swagger that he's developed since the Lesnar feud, he clearly is right at home in the main event scene and I'd love for a guy who was wasted for so many years in TNA where they rarely properly utilized him to win the big one in WWE. I hate lame "you deserve it" chants from fans but there isn't anyone in wrestling right now who deserves a WWE world title more than Samoa Joe.

3. Brock Lesnar: Even though it's kind of a boring outcome, it makes the most sense for Brock to retain the title. Brock is hyped up like this dominating force. He beats the mighty Goldberg, he beats Samoa Joe. It's looks kinda weak if he loses the belt on his second title defense. 

4. Roman Reigns: I've been okay with Reigns over the past few months but I'm sick of him being champion and I don't want to see him with the belt anytime soon.

Summerslam:

Joe, Nakamura, Styles, Banks, Carmella, Usos, Ambrose/Rollins, Rusev, Balor, Corbin

Takeover:

Strong (assuming he gets added), Asuka, AoP, Gargano, Black

Also, Reigns hasn't been champion in over a year. I don't want him to win either, but if they're going to keep fucking pushing him harder and harder, at least make him champion and stop with this wishy washy crap. 

Also, for how much WWE pretends to care about humanitarian causes, funny you won't see them highlighting this on TV:

6 hours ago, Mike said:

Who are you all rooting for at SummerSlam? I'll rank mine below in order of who I want to win the most.

1. Braun Strowman: Who would've thought some useless oaf from the Wyatt Family could develop into one of the most entertaining people on the roster in about one year? A week doesn't go by where Strowman isn't doing at least one memorable thing on Raw. On a roster with a bunch of people I'm sick of (likely WWE's fault for making me not care), he's the wrestler I'm enjoying the most at this time and I want him to win the title.

2. Samoa Joe: While Joe is definitely past his prime in the ring, he's still good enough. And with solid mic skills and a swagger that he's developed since the Lesnar feud, he clearly is right at home in the main event scene and I'd love for a guy who was wasted for so many years in TNA where they rarely properly utilized him to win the big one in WWE. I hate lame "you deserve it" chants from fans but there isn't anyone in wrestling right now who deserves a WWE world title more than Samoa Joe.

3. Brock Lesnar: Even though it's kind of a boring outcome, it makes the most sense for Brock to retain the title. Brock is hyped up like this dominating force. He beats the mighty Goldberg, he beats Samoa Joe. It's looks kinda weak if he loses the belt on his second title defense. 

4. Roman Reigns: I've been okay with Reigns over the past few months but I'm sick of him being champion and I don't want to see him with the belt anytime soon.

How dope would it be though if Reigns won bc Heyman turned on Lesnar and helped Reigns?

55 minutes ago, Nixon said:

How dope would it be though if Reigns won bc Heyman turned on Lesnar and helped Reigns?

Heyman being the manager of Reigns would be awesome but I don't want Heyman leaving Lesnar's side. So the only way he could really manage both is if they were on separate brands and with the rumored fall Superstar Shakeup, it's possible. 

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

Heyman being the manager of Reigns would be awesome but I don't want Heyman leaving Lesnar's side. So the only way he could really manage both is if they were on separate brands and with the rumored fall Superstar Shakeup, it's possible. 

well this is assuming Lesnar is leaving, not staying

Wouldn't happen anyway, bc Reigns needs to be face for Shield reunion.

Maybe with Joe, though

Heyman managing heel Reigns would probably hilariously end up getting him over as a babyface. 

But Lesnar's pretty much guaranteed to be staying through Wrestlemania so I don't imagine any double cross will happen until closer to then. 

Also don't see a Shield reunion happening because I'm pretty confident Dean is going heel before the year is up. Or I guess Rollins could. But it'll be one of them, and how the hell are you going to turn anybody heel by having them opposing Reigns? 

2 hours ago, Nixon said:

I actually thought this would happen with Joe last month. I think it's time for Heyman to move on, Lesnar has made him stale. 

Well this is not fucking good at all. Ric Flair went into the hospital for some heart-related issues a few days ago and it was reported to be routine. People in the know must've been downplaying the situation at the time because Flair's rep just tweeted this...

I'm really over the WWE's recent fascination with randomly doing big title changes on Raw instead of PPV, but I've been a big Akira Tozawa guy since the CWC and I'm very happy to see him get the rub of being the first guy to beat Neville and win the title. Hard to see how the division will capitalize on a newly minted over face champion, though, because unless they start doing actual good matches on Raw instead of bathroom breaks I don't see them being any more over. 

I do wonder if Neville is sticking around the cruiserweight division or moving on to greater things. I'd have him go over a much larger face (like Big Show) in dominant fashion to really get him over as a threat and then push hard from there, but no way Vince goes for anything like that.