Got (Wrestling) News

15,385 posts in this topic

Yeah I barely watched any of it and it was all awful. I've thought for a while that Corbin has something but I'm very close to hopping off that ship. Awful booking in every single match outside of the opener, bad work in nearly every match, awful main event, and if Smackdown didn't feel dangerously similar to late 2000s shitshow Smackdown already, THE GREAT KHALI is back and in what appears to be a major role. Sweet Christmas. 

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

1. Roster obliterated in the draft

Still don't get this. Who of consequence did they lose other than Ambrose and Miz? Nakamura, Zayn, and Owens certainly should've made up the difference there. It's not their fault they're all in crappy midcard feuds while Orton and Jinder are clogging up the main event with Baron lingering in the shadows. Really, above all else, it's busy been a really crappily booked and written show with all the wrong people getting pushed outside of the tag division. 

6 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

Who of consequence did they lose other than Ambrose and Miz?

It's not just the draft either. You have to look at debuts around the time after WrestleMania too. Main event and upper mid-card look good for SD. Raw gets Ambrose, Miz and Wyatt and SD gets Owens, Nakamura and Rusev. And I suppose you could consider Mahal a positive because he's a main eventer right now and technically has turned out to be the best acquisition in the whole draft but obviously we're not going to count him as a positive. He has hurt SD. Zayn is irrelevant. He's almost a jobber. He only ever wins when they need to briefly give him some credibility so he can put over someone more important.

As for the women, SD got robbed. The hottest (literally and figuratively) women in WWE Alexa Bliss goes to Raw and SD gets the 2016 star Charlotte. If she still had her momentum from last year there's no way they would've put her on SD. And SD really got robbed in tag team division. Raw gets The Revival AND the Hardy Boyz and SD is stuck with the tired old act New Day. Another example of people who would never have been shipped to SD if they still had their momentum of years past.

33 minutes ago, Mike said:

It's not just the draft either. You have to look at debuts around the time after WrestleMania too. Main event and upper mid-card look good for SD. Raw gets Ambrose, Miz and Wyatt and SD gets Owens, Nakamura and Rusev. And I suppose you could consider Mahal a positive because he's a main eventer right now and technically has turned out to be the best acquisition in the whole draft but obviously we're not going to count him as a positive. He has hurt SD. Zayn is irrelevant. He's almost a jobber. He only ever wins when they need to briefly give him some credibility so he can put over someone more important.

I don't understand what you're getting at here. Yes, I agree that the talent is horribly misused, I'm only arguing that it is there. Smackdown didn't have some huge drop-off in talent, it just started wasting all of it. There is a huge drop off in star power, but that's because they turned their stars into midcarders, while Raw at least has a handful of stars who are being treated like stars. 

Give me the book for a minute: Miz/Jordan can be the new Summerslam direction because they're doing something with Jordan no matter how terrible it is. Summerslam can have a big cluster tag title match (maybe with a ladder) between Cesaro/Sheamus, the Club, the Hardyz, the Revival, and Ambrose/Rollins. Ambrose/Rollins win the titles, defend against Sheamus/Cesaro successfully. In the fall, they drop the titles cleanly to the Revival, whose superior teamwork and strategy gives them the edge over two former main eventers. Ambrose turns on Rollins, they feud through the remainder of the fall and winter. 

I personally would've thought to just turn Ambrose sooner rather than dragging it out, but from what I understand their team dynamic is working out and giving it a couple months and having some excellent matches with Sheamus/Cesaro and Revival would be good way to both build up the titles and get the audience reinvested in both guys before the feud, since the past several months have really done a number on both. 

Raw thoughts...

- This Jason Jordan stuff is horrible. He'll be getting booed out of the building in a few weeks time. And I really haven't seen much improvement from him in the ring since he debuted.

- Poor Finn Balor stuck in never-ending crap feuds.

- Wyatt teased a Wyatt Family reunion on Twitter. I understand why he'd want to be associated with the more successful Strowman, but I will be very pissed if they paired Strowman up with Wyatt again. I don't even think WWE would be dumb enough to do that.

- Basically the only highlight on Raw right now is the continued awesomeness with Reigns, Strowman, Joe and Lesnar. I wish these four could all feud forever.

So Bayley has to be winning the title at Summerslam, right? This whole thing was some misguided attempt at doing an underdog redemption story? Otherwise I can't possibly make any sense of what the idea behind putting her in another PPV title match with Bliss is. 

Fortunately, Bayley is good enough that she was able to actually get the crowd into her during the Sasha match last night night in spite of being buried for months on end, and if booking permits, she'll get a good match out of Bliss at Summerslam.