Got (Wrestling) News

15,933 posts in this topic

Yeah I barely watched any of it and it was all awful. I've thought for a while that Corbin has something but I'm very close to hopping off that ship. Awful booking in every single match outside of the opener, bad work in nearly every match, awful main event, and if Smackdown didn't feel dangerously similar to late 2000s shitshow Smackdown already, THE GREAT KHALI is back and in what appears to be a major role. Sweet Christmas. 

1. Roster obliterated in the draft
2. Mauro gone
3. Jinder Mahal WWE Champion
4. Cena a free agent possibly appearing on Raw in the future
5. Talking Smack canceled
6. The worst wrestler of all-time returns

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

1. Roster obliterated in the draft

Still don't get this. Who of consequence did they lose other than Ambrose and Miz? Nakamura, Zayn, and Owens certainly should've made up the difference there. It's not their fault they're all in crappy midcard feuds while Orton and Jinder are clogging up the main event with Baron lingering in the shadows. Really, above all else, it's busy been a really crappily booked and written show with all the wrong people getting pushed outside of the tag division. 

6 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

Who of consequence did they lose other than Ambrose and Miz?

It's not just the draft either. You have to look at debuts around the time after WrestleMania too. Main event and upper mid-card look good for SD. Raw gets Ambrose, Miz and Wyatt and SD gets Owens, Nakamura and Rusev. And I suppose you could consider Mahal a positive because he's a main eventer right now and technically has turned out to be the best acquisition in the whole draft but obviously we're not going to count him as a positive. He has hurt SD. Zayn is irrelevant. He's almost a jobber. He only ever wins when they need to briefly give him some credibility so he can put over someone more important.

As for the women, SD got robbed. The hottest (literally and figuratively) women in WWE Alexa Bliss goes to Raw and SD gets the 2016 star Charlotte. If she still had her momentum from last year there's no way they would've put her on SD. And SD really got robbed in tag team division. Raw gets The Revival AND the Hardy Boyz and SD is stuck with the tired old act New Day. Another example of people who would never have been shipped to SD if they still had their momentum of years past.

33 minutes ago, Mike said:

It's not just the draft either. You have to look at debuts around the time after WrestleMania too. Main event and upper mid-card look good for SD. Raw gets Ambrose, Miz and Wyatt and SD gets Owens, Nakamura and Rusev. And I suppose you could consider Mahal a positive because he's a main eventer right now and technically has turned out to be the best acquisition in the whole draft but obviously we're not going to count him as a positive. He has hurt SD. Zayn is irrelevant. He's almost a jobber. He only ever wins when they need to briefly give him some credibility so he can put over someone more important.

I don't understand what you're getting at here. Yes, I agree that the talent is horribly misused, I'm only arguing that it is there. Smackdown didn't have some huge drop-off in talent, it just started wasting all of it. There is a huge drop off in star power, but that's because they turned their stars into midcarders, while Raw at least has a handful of stars who are being treated like stars. 

Give me the book for a minute: Miz/Jordan can be the new Summerslam direction because they're doing something with Jordan no matter how terrible it is. Summerslam can have a big cluster tag title match (maybe with a ladder) between Cesaro/Sheamus, the Club, the Hardyz, the Revival, and Ambrose/Rollins. Ambrose/Rollins win the titles, defend against Sheamus/Cesaro successfully. In the fall, they drop the titles cleanly to the Revival, whose superior teamwork and strategy gives them the edge over two former main eventers. Ambrose turns on Rollins, they feud through the remainder of the fall and winter. 

I personally would've thought to just turn Ambrose sooner rather than dragging it out, but from what I understand their team dynamic is working out and giving it a couple months and having some excellent matches with Sheamus/Cesaro and Revival would be good way to both build up the titles and get the audience reinvested in both guys before the feud, since the past several months have really done a number on both. 

Raw thoughts...

- This Jason Jordan stuff is horrible. He'll be getting booed out of the building in a few weeks time. And I really haven't seen much improvement from him in the ring since he debuted.

- Poor Finn Balor stuck in never-ending crap feuds.

- Wyatt teased a Wyatt Family reunion on Twitter. I understand why he'd want to be associated with the more successful Strowman, but I will be very pissed if they paired Strowman up with Wyatt again. I don't even think WWE would be dumb enough to do that.

- Basically the only highlight on Raw right now is the continued awesomeness with Reigns, Strowman, Joe and Lesnar. I wish these four could all feud forever.

So Bayley has to be winning the title at Summerslam, right? This whole thing was some misguided attempt at doing an underdog redemption story? Otherwise I can't possibly make any sense of what the idea behind putting her in another PPV title match with Bliss is. 

Fortunately, Bayley is good enough that she was able to actually get the crowd into her during the Sasha match last night night in spite of being buried for months on end, and if booking permits, she'll get a good match out of Bliss at Summerslam. 

Best case scenario if we get lucky, Jinder Mahal breaks his leg at a house show this weekend and Cena vs. Nakamura is for the vacant WWE title at SummerSlam. And that's right where these two should be facing each other for the first time, not on fucking SmackDown. 

From the Observer:

There was a story 7/17 when GFW had meetings in Nashville and WWE had Raw in the city and some GFW people and WWE people ended up at the same bar later that night. Karen Jarrett came up to Strowman. The belief is that Strowman had no idea who she was, even though it’s not like there are that many woman wrestling fans who look like her. Karen said to him that he was one of her son’s favorite wrestlers and asked for an autograph for her son. I’m not sure what got into Strowman but he was rude, and may have sworn at her (the version I heard had it but that’s from someone far enough away that they didn’t hear the verbiage of what started it but was told he did, but everyone there saw what happened next). It turned into a scene at the bar because Karen immediately cut a major loud promo on him for blowing her off. While she was going off on him, she said how she was going to tell her son’s father about this incident, and her son’s father is Kurt Angle. Strowman did an about face, said he’d sign the autograph and begged her not to tell Kurt or anyone and said he was so sorry. She said she was telling Kurt. He said he’d get on his knees and beg her not to tell Kurt. She said she was still telling him. He did get on his knees in front of a lot of wrestlers from WWE and begged her not to, and she basically said something like now you’re acting like that because you found out that Kurt Angle is the father of her son, but even if he wasn’t, he should have never acted like that to a mother who asked for an autograph for her son, even if it was just another wrestling fan. He did say that’s true and he was sorry. Of course this story will be denied all week by everyone involved

I don't know why Braun wouldn't just give young Jason Jordan an autograph. 

I wonder if that stipulation for the Universal title match was made because Brock will be leaving for a while to go to UFC. I know Brock is suspended but for all we know he could've been serving that one-year suspension for the past year now.

What the hell is up with the Raw main event segments lately? It's kinda cool when you have a different title picture close the show or a big featured grudge match or something, but that's usually the featured program for the week. Something like having the three most protected heavyweights on the roster in a triple threat in the middle of the show while Cass vs Big Show, with a DQ finish no less, closes, makes so little sense i can't fathom what the reasoning is. 

According to PWInsider.com, Nakamura is now the favorite to win the match tonight. Here's what I hope happens instead...

1. Nakamura is attacked backstage by Jinder Mahal and is unable to compete tonight
2. Shane/Bryan announce that Mahal is not getting off that easy and he will be defending his title tonight against Cena
3. Cena wins his 17th world title, the last title reign of his career.
4. Nakamura over Cena for the title at SummerSlam

I'm not a fan of WWE forcing a title reign on Cena just for a record (like they did with his 16th) and it is foolish to give the record setting title reign away on a random SD episode, but who cares? Ric Flair had a bunch of bullshit WCW title runs that lasted a week so it's not like the record means anything.

On 7/27/2017 at 9:02 PM, Ruiner said:

From the Observer:

I don't know why Braun wouldn't just give young Jason Jordan an autograph. 

This story is absolutely horse shit and not in anyway factual FWIW

A few thoughts on WWE TV this week now that I'm finished watching or skimming through it all...

- I've said it before but I'll say it again...I'm loving this main event scene right now on Raw with the four guys in the Universal title match. I may not always be satisfied with singles matches involving Reigns, but he is a treat to watch in matches with more than two people and his mic skills, his "I don't care if you don't like me attitude" and the reaction he always gets are awesome.

- Totally agree with Ruiner about the foolish choice of a main event on Raw. WWE has been really weird about main events over the past few years. Out of the blue you'll see a woman's contract signing close a show or some random mid-card Wyatt/Ambrose match main event a PPV.

- I'm already sick of heel Big Cass. And I never want to see Big Show again. We got tragically short careers for Stone Cold and the Rock but guys like Big Show, Kane and Mark Henry refuse to fucking leave. When the ring broke during the Strowman/Big Show match, that should've been the last time we ever saw Big Show in a ring.

- Cena vs. Nakamura was awesome and totally lived up to the hype. I'm going to assume that WWE doesn't plan on them having a rematch which means that the short length of their first and possibly only match was very unfortunate. WWE has booked Cena weird over the years. He almost never lost years ago and now he loses so much that he lost to Nakamura and it didn't even seem like a big deal.

- So it looks like Cena vs. Corbin at SummerSlam. It sucks that near the end of his career, WWE will have wasted the WrestleMania and SummerSlam matches for Cena this year. 

- I wish it was Rusev in Jinder Mahal's place as WWE Champion.

- I liked the Cena/Nakamura match but it still feels like such a waste that it was a random 13 minute Smackdown match. Glad Nakamura got the clean win, though, and if there's a single pro to this Jinder debacle, the title match will probably have pretty good heat with false finishes based around Jinder cheating and using the Singhs, because people will really really want Nakamura to win and end this dreadful title reign. Of course, it'll be for naught when the match inevitably ends with Jinder or Baron Corbin as champion. 

- Rusev/Gable was a blast and a real showcase for misused talent. It's insane how much better Smackdown could be if the right people were being promoted. 

- I was bored last night so I watched the 205 Live main event. Decent match, but what I got out of it was that I think Tozawa should win the Cruiserweight title at Summerslam. Neville is the MVP of probably the whole company right now, but there are zero other challengers built up for him and it's hard to see them putting anybody else with real star potential in the division like Aleister Black, so a refresher really needs to happen, even if Neville ends up winning it back. Tozawa has done the absolute impossible and gotten people really into him despite being an unknown in a dead division, and I'd be happy to see him win it. Hopefully they put the match early si it gets actually heat instead of in the death slot. 

- Not a huge fan of the John Cena role Drew McIntyre seems to be taking up in NXT, but I'll give credit that he delivered the hell out of his promo this week and really got the crowd fired up, so we'll see what happens. Still hoping this ends with him being the top heel with Roode leaving, and feuding with Strong or Gargano.