Got (Wrestling) News

15,526 posts in this topic

Yes, keep wrestling and MMA separate. Nothing is more annoying than the constant pointless and ridiculous comparisons between MMA and wrestling and they deserve to be separate. Also, I think this thread should be in the general forum, cause it kinda fits in between the movie/TV and sports forum but isn't fully one or the other.

pen
:

Moved both wrestling and MMA to TV section.

No, no, no. Keep MMA in sports cause it's a sport.

As for wrestling, it's kinda a sport and kinda a TV show so I think it should just be in the general discussion with videogames.

Also, if we have sticky's for everything now it makes the sub-forums for sports and movies kinda pointless. They should probably just be incorporated into the general discussion forum. I also think the MM and Core 64 forums should be retired and all those posts moved to the everything rock forum. And then start up a new MM forum when the next one starts.

Mike
[^]
:

No, no, no. Keep MMA in sports cause it's a sport.

As for wrestling, it's kinda a sport and kinda a TV show so I think it should just be in the general discussion with videogames.

Also, if we have sticky's for everything now it makes the sub-forums for sports and movies kinda pointless. They should probably just be incorporated into the general discussion forum. I also think the MM and Core 64 forums should be retired and all those posts moved to the everything rock forum. And then start up a new MM forum when the next one starts.

That's something Jay would have to do. And the reason I moved both MMA and wrestling to TV is because otherwise the Sports forum gets way too cluttered with stickies and both MMA and wrestling are centered around TV events.

Mike
:

Night of Champions buys were down 36% this year compared to NOC '09. They are running this company into the ground.

By "running into the ground" you mean "down in business but still easily the premier wrestling company in North America" right?

You can show off about WWE being more successful than TNA all you want, but there's no denying WWE is destroying their company with incredibly boring, cookie cutter programing that insults the viewers intelligence.

Mike
:

You can show off about WWE being more successful than TNA all you want, but there's no denying WWE is destroying their company with incredibly boring, cookie cutter programing that insults the viewers intelligence.

There's plenty denying it. In fact, just about every wrestling critic worth a damn knows that WWE is better now than TNA is. Unless you wanna watch Indy wrestling, the WWE is the better of the two to watch, unless you're deluded or a WCW fanboy.

I really fail to see how WWE is better than TNA right now. TNA has been planting the seeds for this huge storyline for half the year and Reaction did a great job really showing everything and it was so rewarding watching this through to the end and seeing this great payoff at Bound For Glory and after. It really was something special to see a complex storyline that ran for a long time as opposed to WWE hitting the reset button after every pay-per-view. TNA is doing things new and exciting and WWE is having Undertaker and Kane feuding for the millionth time.

Plus I like some wrestling with my show and while both shows have way too much talking, at least with Impact you're getting a solid match or two each night. WWE features what? 10 minutes of wrestling each night.

Mike
:

Plus I like some wrestling with my show and while both shows have way too much talking, at least with Impact you're getting a solid match or two each night. WWE features what? 10 minutes of wrestling each night.

Hilarious considering just a week or two ago, Impact put on the most wrestling-lite show I've ever seen.

Oh, and WWE's dual brands are pretty different. You should probably watch Smackdown some time, it's very wrestling heavy, and very good for it.

Now, if you'd like to understand why TNA is not good, there's a lot of people you can look up who can tell you. I know for a fact that Lance Storm, Paul Heyman, and Jim Cornette are pretty vocal about how they feel in regards to TNA.

Andrew
:

Hilarious considering just a week or two ago, Impact put on the most wrestling-lite show I've ever seen.

And yet Anderson and RVD still put on a 20 minutes match.

Andrew
:

I know for a fact that Lance Storm, Paul Heyman, and Jim Cornette are pretty vocal about how they feel in regards to TNA.

I take Storm and Heyman's opinions seriously but Cornette is a joke who I don't listen to at all. He's just some bitter old man who makes fun of everything because he is completely irrelevant in the wrestling industry.

Mike
[^]
:

Lol, this reminds me of when Matt was defending to the death that he uses the word gay to mean happy.

Yeah except I don't care what you say and whether you think I'm wrong or not, this is how it's gonna be.

pen
:

Yeah except I don't care what you say and whether you think I'm wrong or not, this is how it's gonna be.

Except it's not.

Pen, I don't want a moderator war here, so let me explain this before we get this placed appropriately. Pro wrestling is not a sport, it's far more comparable to a play than it is to sport. There is no competitiveness, and there is no set of objective rules and real winners. It is essentially theatre, a different kind certainly, but it is a group of people performing in front of an audience with choreography and a script, essentially. It is not sport, it is theatrics. I can understand this going in TV/Movies, I can understand going in general. But it does not go in sports, and you should really just trust me on that.

Andrew
[^]
:

Except it's not.

Pen, I don't want a moderator war here, so let me explain this before we get this placed appropriately. Pro wrestling is not a sport, it's far more comparable to a play than it is to sport. There is no competitiveness, and there is no set of objective rules and real winners. It is essentially theatre, a different kind certainly, but it is a group of people performing in front of an audience with choreography and a script, essentially. It is not sport, it is theatrics. I can understand this going in TV/Movies, I can understand going in general. But it does not go in sports, and you should really just trust me on that.

It's not necessarily that I think it belongs in sports. It's that I believe it belongs wherever your UFC threads are. Fighters from WWE and UFC crossover, the two event series are in competition with each other, and they're similar enough in their superficial event structure to belong in the same pod, despite whatever is actually happening below the surface.

What's hilarious is that we are spending more time bickering about this than people actually using the threads to discuss what they're for. And really I don't think anyone had a problem until Mike opened his mouth, but I could be wrong.

pen
:

It's not necessarily that I think it belongs in sports. It's that I believe it belongs wherever your UFC threads are. Fighters from WWE and UFC crossover, the two event series are in competition with each other, and they're similar enough in their superficial event structure to belong in the same pod, despite whatever is actually happening below the surface.

See, reading this, it's obvious you're not particularly knowledgable of either, and I don't mean to be insulting. It's easy to draw comparisons between things based on the surface, but the fact is, you're pretty much wrong.

There is no crossover between WWE and UFC. Yes, sometimes pro wrestlers turn MMA, but some others turn actor, yet you don't use that to say it's comparable to film or TV.

It's also easy and simple to say that both involve people beating on people, but that's not true. The goal of MMA is to crown the best in the world at fighting, much as the NFL or NBA try to find the best team of athletes in the world. Now obviously entertainment is a side goal there, but no one aspires to be a pro athlete to entertain people, they do it to be the best at what they do, and to be a part of a championship. This is not the case with pro wrestling. Yes, many aspire to be champions in this as well, but it takes an entirely different skillset, and it's not about competing with others, it's all about doing what the business requires, whether it's being a good talker or a skilled athlete. Ultimately though, pro wrestling is not about crowning the best champion in the world, it is about entertainment.

And lastly, on the surface, to someone like you, I imagine they see similarities, but frankly, fans of both would be insulted at the comparison. I know Mike has said numerous times he is sick of both being compared, and he's right to be. The two have little in common other than in basic appearance. MMA is about winning at all costs, training to be the best, and competing for real. Wrestling is about entertaining, and quite the opposite of MMA, to do your best not to hurt your fellow worker. Ask any real wrestling fan, or any real MMA fan, and they'll tell you the two are nothing alike, and that one is a sport, and the other most certainly is not.

crossover?

So if Brett Farve released an album showing his musical talent would that be a reason to combine football and music news?

I'm worn out. I've spent all night arguing over two things I don't even care about. And moreover I don't think I'm carrying across very well what I'm trying to say because you guys still seem hung up on me trying to call them both sports, when that's not really my argument at all. I'm trying to say to me they are both similar on a business structure level in that they are both immensely physical forms of entertainment that operate off of a combination PPV events and televised programming and therefore because of their similar qualities, they belong in the same place. You can tell me one's a sport and one's a farce until you're blue in the face, and I understand that. Believe me I do. But I still think the two belong in the same place. It kind of makes me think how a lot of people talk about the current generation of video games and only include PS3 and XBox 360 and totally forget about the Wii because the Wii is too different from the others and attracts too different an audience for most people to include it in their lexicon, but they are all still game consoles. If that sounds like a stupid analogy, I'm sorry, but it's the best one I can think of right now. You may not like UFC and WWE being compared to each other, but there is a competition between the two and a quick Google search will confirm that. I still think they're close enough in basic shape to belong in the same swimming pool.

Bro
[^]
:

crossover?

So if Brett Farve released an album showing his musical talent would that be a reason to combine football and music news?

Don't be ridiculous. We're not comparing an apple to a a carrot, we're comparing an apple to a banana. At least in my opinion.

pen
:
I'm trying to say to me they are both similar on a business structure level in that they are both immensely physical forms of entertainment that operate off of a combination PPV events and televised programming and therefore because of their similar qualities, they belong in the same place.

Well you can think that all day, but it's still insulting to fans of both. The fact is, one is a sport, and one isn't, and you're trying to put both in sports when it would be perfectly acceptable to have one that isn't.

And acceptable it's gonna be. I'm moving this to General, and I'll do it as much as I need to.