Heinerken

Got (Gaming) News

12,887 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, pen said:

It's funny, I was reading earlier today about another game designer that seems just as eccentric as Kojima; Suda 51.

He made Killer 7 and No More Heroes, but his second game ever was a title in the Fire Pro Wrestling series.

What you'd expect to just be a typical wrestling game has a story mode where all of your character's friends die and even after winning the final bout, he's so depressed by what he's lost along the way that he commits suicide. 

I just thought I'd share that nugget.

I'm not familiar with him though I have heard great things about the Fire Pro games. This sounds like my kinda shit.

12 hours ago, It's Harty! RUN! said:

Wasnt really sure where to put this but did you guys see the achievement hunter musical? It was way better than I thought it would be. 

I was very impressed, and I physically applauded multiple times. The moment they did the syncing song and I realized what I was watching, my joy was palpable. I want that soundtrack on Spotify yesterday. 

Death Stranding report: I'm enjoying the game, but it's not something I'd recommend to virtually anyone I know. It's certainly very flawed in some traditionally Kojima ways (too much exposition, cutscenes, convoluted-ass story) and some not so much (boring combat, occasionally janky mechanics) and I'd by no means put next to something like Resident Evil 2 or Sekiro in my GOTY rankings, but the core gameplay loop of planning routes and making deliveries, while upgrading your gear and connecting the network so you can help build roads and structures, is very satisfying for someone who's cool with a more laid-back, mellow kind of experience. 

I guess my best comparison would be to something like Red Dead 2--at the heart of it there's something really special, but the developer consistently get in their own way with it so what you get is just pretty good. Difference being, Red Dead 2 had a much more accessible story, and okay-ish combat that took the forefront so I think the audience at large was more forgiving of its flaws.

In unrelated news, I've been foraying a bit into the world of top-down-style PC games, to play on my MacBook which isn't equipped to handle most triple-A titles but can easily handle more text-driven fare. What I've been on lately is this game called Sunless Sea, where basically you captain a ship that you take on voyages out into the abyss and visit islands and ports where you get involved various story threads, recruit officers, and carry out odd jobs (usually deliveries) to earn currency, which you use to upgrade your ship, buy supplies and fuel, etc. It's also a pseudo-roguelike game, where if you die, you have to create a new captain who starts back at London, with the map reset, and your new captain can have a relationship to your last captain in order to inherit different things to carry into your new run. An excellent mechanic, because it adds a great deal of weight to decisions you make the further into the game you get. Do you have enough fuel or supplies to keep going, or do you turn back? Do you pick a fight with this giant crab, or burn extra fuel to quickly escape? If you run out of supplies, your crew often turns to cannibalism. Running out of fuel means being stranded in the sea unless someone rescues you, for either a steep fee or they get to keep your ship and everything in it. There's lots of little things like that that make it a gripping experience.

@pen, any recommendations for these sorts of games? I've already added Civ V, Balder's Gate, Tyranny, Fallout 2, Darkest Dungeon, Divinity: Original Sin 2, and some Total War games to my wishlist.

Depends what you want, I guess, cause your list covers a wide range.

You mention Baldur's Gate, so a natural recommendation would be others of that ilk like Planescape Torment or Neverwinter Nights or spiritual successors like Pillars Of Eternity or Torment: Tides Of Nemumbra. 

You also mention Civ so maybe other sim or strategy games like Tropico or SimCity? Or since you're talking about resource management, a survival game like Don't Starve?

Just some thoughts.

Kind of shitty to have the first Half-Life game in over a decade be exclusive to VR when a good chunk of its fanbase are PC players...

I am sure some people will buy VR to play, but not sure it will be many. My guess is it will be a limited VR exclusive before being ported over to consoles and PC

3 hours ago, Matt said:

My guess is it will be a limited VR exclusive before being ported over to consoles and PC

According to what I've read, doing so would require a complete overhaul, cutting out a lot of the bits that play-tested so well and convinced them to move forward with the project in the first place. 

In other words, I wouldn't hold your breath. 

On 11/20/2019 at 6:57 PM, Ruiner II said:

I think the audience at large was more forgiving of its flaws.

Gamers and critics aren't forgiving when it comes to Rockstar games, they're totally blind. If another open-world game came out with no fast travel, clunky movement and combat so bad it needs slo-mo to be usable, it would get awful reviews. But when Rockstar copy and pastes the same combat and shooting for two straight generations, it gets 10/10 reviews and every gamer loves it.

On 11/21/2019 at 1:39 PM, Matt said:

Kind of shitty to have the first Half-Life game in over a decade be exclusive to VR when a good chunk of its fanbase are PC players...

I am sure some people will buy VR to play, but not sure it will be many. My guess is it will be a limited VR exclusive before being ported over to consoles and PC

Valve are really a sorry excuse for game developers. They have this franchise that fans have been clamoring for a sequel of for years and they never deliver on it. "Valve time" my ass. They're not even working on Half-Life 3. They should just use some of their infinite resources and buy a real developer to make it for them. It's a shame fans will be forced to buy some VR equipment that Valve are peddling if they want to play a new Half-Life.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Gamers and critics aren't forgiving when it comes to Rockstar games, they're totally blind. If another open-world game came out with no fast travel, clunky movement and combat so bad it needs slo-mo to be usable, it would get awful reviews. But when Rockstar copy and pastes the same combat and shooting for two straight generations, it gets 10/10 reviews and every gamer loves it.

Valve are really a sorry excuse for game developers. They have this franchise that fans have been clamoring for a sequel of for years and they never deliver on it. "Valve time" my ass. They're not even working on Half-Life 3. They should just use some of their infinite resources and buy a real developer to make it for them. It's a shame fans will be forced to buy some VR equipment that Valve are peddling if they want to play a new Half-Life.

While I'm not going to shell out for VR just to play Half Life, it's up to Valve (or any developer) what they think is the best for their IP, regardless of what the fans want. Corporate greed is obviously a bad thing, but going too far in the opposite direction with fan service isn't THAT much better. 

On 11/22/2019 at 5:50 PM, Ruiner II said:

Corporate greed is obviously a bad thing, but going too far in the opposite direction with fan service isn't THAT much better. 

Following up a cliffhanger ending with a sequel isn't fan service...unless the plan all along was to abruptly end their beloved franchise with a cliffhanger ending.

As someone who loves Halo, I couldn't imagine how weird it would be if Microsoft just randomly ended Halo after Halo 2.

8 hours ago, Mike said:

Following up a cliffhanger ending with a sequel isn't fan service...unless the plan all along was to abruptly end their beloved franchise with a cliffhanger ending.

As someone who loves Halo, I couldn't imagine how weird it would be if Microsoft just randomly ended Halo after Halo 2.

It's fan service if they don't want to make the game--if the sole motive is because the audience wants it, where's the passion? You get a game that could never possibly live up to the hype behind it. Sequels made out of obligation aren't typically that great. 

I just wish Valve would come out with another Day of Defeat mod for Counter Strike, or port it to Xbox like the OG xbox. Put so many hours into those games back in the day. Still have Day of Defeat from 2002 or whatever since my PC can actually run it haha

So I'm not really liking Jedi Fallen Order at all. I like how the combat is slower-paced and you're not just mashing the attack button. I like how you have to build up strong attacks by connecting with weak attacks. I like how you can block by holding a button but by tapping that button at the exact moment it will give you an advantage like an instant kill or open up the enemy to a quick kill. That's all fine and good. But for the life of me I just cannot get good at this combat. I play Arkham or Mordor (I understand it's a different type of combat) and I can fight 20 enemies at once and block all of their attacks. This game I'm getting hit left and right and blocking does not work well when you're fighting multiple people at once. You also have to somehow watch out for bullets coming at you at the same time as when you're fighting against sword-like weapons. The parrying and diving out of the way is ineffective a lot of times too.

The second difficult is too tough with the crappy combat but the first difficulty makes the game so easy it's boring. The platforming is frustrating. The puzzles aren't anything to write home about. You respawn instantly when you die during a platforming section but you have to wait an eternity to respawn with you die during a combat section. When you finish levels you have to walk all the way through the level to get back to your ship to leave.

On 11/21/2019 at 6:29 AM, pen said:

Depends what you want, I guess, cause your list covers a wide range.

You mention Baldur's Gate, so a natural recommendation would be others of that ilk like Planescape Torment or Neverwinter Nights or spiritual successors like Pillars Of Eternity or Torment: Tides Of Nemumbra. 

You also mention Civ so maybe other sim or strategy games like Tropico or SimCity? Or since you're talking about resource management, a survival game like Don't Starve?

Just some thoughts.

Also, thanks for sharing the tips. I've actually played Don't Starve on PS4, I had a lot of fun with it but I don't think I really got too far into the depth the game has to offer. 

I just snatched up several of the games on my wishlist for the autumn sale, and I'm having a way better time with Civ 6 than I expected. This game kinda rules, dangerously so, even. 

On 11/27/2019 at 1:20 PM, Ruiner II said:

Also, thanks for sharing the tips. I've actually played Don't Starve on PS4, I had a lot of fun with it but I don't think I really got too far into the depth the game has to offer. 

I just snatched up several of the games on my wishlist for the autumn sale, and I'm having a way better time with Civ 6 than I expected. This game kinda rules, dangerously so, even. 

Update: this game is a damn disease. It takes everything in me to not keep playing it indefinitely. I haven't caught this sort of addiction to a video game since I was a boy. 

3 hours ago, Ruiner II said:

Update: this game is a damn disease. It takes everything in me to not keep playing it indefinitely. I haven't caught this sort of addiction to a video game since I was a boy. 

I assume you're talking about Civ.

I actually have a couple of those games but I've never gotten around to them.

Have tried out a couple of the Tropico games though. I don't know how similar the two series are but they seem cut from the same cloth.

I wouldn't call myself a fan of the genre but I'd be lying if I didn't say playing Tropico was more entertaining than I expected. 

There's something about building something you can call yours and making it all work that's immensely satisfying.

Age of empires has been my thing since since 2 came out. Civilization is just too much. Civ 5 I tried multiple times but it is probably once of the hardest games to really learn. I bought civ 6 for the switch and im kind of liking it. Making it a little simpler works much better.

Tropico though is really nothing like those 2. It's more like sim city/ cities skylines but with the emphasis on much smaller areas like aoe or civilization. If you like to build cities but also want the freedom to be a total dick tropico is for you. If you want to engage in war and have fairly simple mechanics aoe is the way to go. If you like really long drawn out matches with a ton of strategy and ways to win then civ is best. 

On 12/1/2019 at 1:26 AM, pen said:

I assume you're talking about Civ.

I actually have a couple of those games but I've never gotten around to them.

Have tried out a couple of the Tropico games though. I don't know how similar the two series are but they seem cut from the same cloth.

I wouldn't call myself a fan of the genre but I'd be lying if I didn't say playing Tropico was more entertaining than I expected. 

There's something about building something you can call yours and making it all work that's immensely satisfying.

Yep, Civ. I actually ended up splurging on the DLC which hugely expands diplomacy (a UN-type world regulatory board can form and vote upon various things), natural disasters, climate change, etc. The depth of the game is just ridiculous. 

I'd say it's hard to learn in the sense that I've played about 25 hours in the last week, completing three or four civs, and have yet to win a game or really come all that close, but I certainly didn't have a hard time learning the mechanics of the game well enough to enjoy myself--the devil is in learning how to best strategize for both short-term and long-term. Plus even if you lose, you can keep playing indefinitely, so after I lost to Germany in the space race I just put everything into developing nukes to make them pay. 

Compared to something like Crusader Kings II, which I picked up a loooong time ago and gave up on pretty quickly, it's a walk in the park. 

4 hours ago, It's Harty! RUN! said:

Damn Microsoft going for the kill next gen. It's not even a console at this point just a powerful gaming pc without windows

Ugly console. Third worse console name ever. Only ahead of Wii and Wii U. 

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Ugly console. Third worse console name ever. Only ahead of Wii and Wii U. 

I don't think it's ugly. A lot of people in video comments like the design. And the name makes sense since rumors are saying they are coming out the gate with various levels of power. The cheap one should undercut ps5 in price by a bit but the big one has insane specs. Apparently it's going to support 8k graphics or 120 fps. That hellblade 2 trailer looked like a real person. It's designed to support ray tracing and looks like it could support the new unreal engine. 

They can talk about all these buzzwords like FPS and ray tracing all they want but Sony is talking about something much more exciting for PS5...zero loading screens. The Series X name heavily implies that there will be different versions of this so I'm hoping that the Series name is mostly used to differentiate between versions and when the dust has settled at launch Microsoft starts referring to its next-gen console as just Xbox. I hope this is the last console they ever release. Hopefully it has some sort of detachable graphics card that can be swapped out in eight years or so. It'd be great if I didn't have to go through the hassle of buying a new console again. This system takes disks, has full backwards compatibility with old games and accessories which is awesome, has built-in xCloud...there's no reason why we ever need a new console after this, assuming they let people easily swap out the graphics.

I didn't watch the Game Awards but it seemed really boring this year just from the lack of news I read about after. I never cared about the awards and only ever watched for the reveals. Ghost of Tsushima is coming next summer. They probably should've just delayed it a little longer and released it as a launch title for PS5. They couldn't cancel the PS4 version because that would piss people off but they could've delayed it and pulled a BOTW and released it on both platforms.

Disappointed there wasn't a reveal for Metroid Prime Trilogy which has completed development already and Nintendo is holding hostage.

New BioShock was announced a few days ago. They should've just waited and revealed it at the Game Awards.

The Wolf Among Us was pretty good but seeing as how every single Telltale game besides season 1 of TWD has lost money (including friggin' Batman!), it puzzles me why we continue to get these games when clearly there isn't enough of a demand for them and they don't turn a profit.