Heinerken

Got (Gaming) News

12,887 posts in this topic

I liked mkx but haven't tried 11 yet. I was turned off by the small character list. I'll play tekken but it's more of a once in a while thing. I worked with a guy in the air force that was a competitive soul caliber fighter and showed up tekken is really just 3 or 4 moves that you need to know not the 150 they give you. Get good at those 4 or 5 moves and you'll be fine

I liked games where you hang back and spam projectile attacks but you couldnt do that in Tekken, it was a closed fighter, but I read they eventually added projectiles which seems weird to me.

What's great about Tekken is that it's (at least at lower levels) less about combo strings and more about placement and timing, predicting what your opponent is going to do and having an answer for it. And so if you find yourself matched up against somebody and you rematch three or so times, you'll have this really cool dynamic as you both continuously have to switch up your tactics to counter theirs and vice versa. 

Death Stranding gameplay is finally here, and it looks bizarrely great. It's basically a sort of horror-tinged backpacking simulator with some combat and nonsensical Kojima writing moving it forward. Which may not sound appealing on its own, but watching the demo, I just love the dude's attention to detail in gameplay and it makes me really want to play this. Figuring out how to traverse the land using the immense amount of tools and gadgets at your disposal, where your decisions affect that gameplay at the most detailed level (your load will affect your maneuverability, from the weight to your ability to balance depending on where on your body you place your cargo). 

Day one buy for me, abstaining from watching any more footage. I'm excited for the journey ahead. 

Gaming thoughts as of late...

- New Yooka-Laylee is sorta fun but too tough.

- Shadowkeep is good but I'm so sick of the barrage of Destiny expansions. All I want is one big expansion a year. As much as I like a game, I don't want to play the same game year-round.

- Did not like Borderlands 3 at all. It had the most annoying characters I've ever seen in a video game. 

- Link's Awakening was great.

On 10/18/2019 at 8:14 PM, Mike said:

I feel like I've watched three hours of Death Stranding footage and I've still not seen any real gameplay.

It's really weird to see a game so close to release with so little information. Although sword and shield are trying really hard to be secretive about anything as well. I'd have to imagine death stranding has to be really good if hideo kojima is putting his name all over it. I can't think of any other time I saw a person's name as part of the title section on a game cover. Death stranding and outer worlds are making what will probably be the last real holiday season of this generation interesting 

On 10/24/2019 at 2:03 PM, It's Harty! RUN! said:

Death stranding and outer worlds are making what will probably be the last real holiday season of this generation interesting 

Yeah the holiday season one year before a new console generation always kicks ass. With that said, 2020 is gonna be so much better just because of new consoles, Halo Infinite, Cyberpunk and The Last of Us.

Outer worlds is awesome. Really enjoying it so far. Just wish the stealth was harder.. it’s too easy to steal/pick pocket/lock pick. Always loved that in Oblivion. 

Even though I've never been a fan of Fallout, I was looking forward to The Outer Worlds and I'm happy with it so far. Digging the Firefly vibes. RPGs that interest me are so few and far between and it's nice I found one I like. Unlike Fallout, the environments look really nice and are diverse. I feel like in most games on alien planets, it just looks like the jungle in Earth but the alien planets actually look alien in this game. The only thing that worried me going in was the shooting because it's an RPG and I didn't know what to expect but it's pretty decent so far. I was planning on spending $60 for this game but I get it for free instead thanks to the best deal in gaming, Game Pass.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Even though I've never been a fan of Fallout, I was looking forward to The Outer Worlds and I'm happy with it so far. Digging the Firefly vibes. RPGs that interest me are so few and far between and it's nice I found one I like. Unlike Fallout, the environments look really nice and are diverse. I feel like in most games on alien planets, it just looks like the jungle in Earth but the alien planets actually look alien in this game. The only thing that worried me going in was the shooting because it's an RPG and I didn't know what to expect but it's pretty decent so far. I was planning on spending $60 for this game but I get it for free instead thanks to the best deal in gaming, Game Pass.

Man game pass is amazing. I’m always shocked when people don’t atleast give it a try, especially with all the deals they give you for the first few months. I’ve played so many games that I ended up enjoying that I would not of even heard of if it were not for it. The only thing I really need to do now is buy a damn hard drive, I’m still with my OG 500gb one and that’s no where close to what I need, especially with how big games are nowadays. It shocks me how many good games actually end up on game pass in a pretty short amount of time too, I always wonder how the companies are reimbursed when they put the games on there. I feel like it must be a pretty good amount considering how so many good games are ending up on there.

I've been playing through Doom 2016 for the first time and this game kicks all kinds of ass. I got it in a combo deal with The New Order, which should keep me busy until Death Stranding--which should keep me from splurging on The Outer Worlds, since I really don't have the money or more importantly the time for it right now. 

The game pass ultimate with gold to me is better than ps4 getting better exclusives. Yeah it's nice to play some better games but you're still paying 60 bucks a game or so. this is 15 bucks and you get a lot of great games for "free"

Based off the inside gaming review I can see why they released almost no info about death stranding. It's definitely a niche game that probably only hardcore gamers will finish. Seems interesting but with a 4 hour cut scene intro I don't see me getting into it. 

Yeah after looking at some reviews I don't even think I'm going to rent Death Stranding. The story seems interesting but I'm not willing to sit through 100 hours of cutscenes and when it's finally gameplay time you're basically an Amazon delivery person walking around with boxes attached to you. This game is a walking simulator. The only real gameplay is the combat which is apparently very basic and easy. You can kill the human enemies with one attack and the otherworldly enemies can be easily avoided with stealth...which kinda takes away 99% of their mystique.

On 9/14/2019 at 8:10 PM, Ruiner II said:

Death Stranding gameplay is finally here, and it looks bizarrely great. It's basically a sort of horror-tinged backpacking simulator with some combat and nonsensical Kojima writing moving it forward. Which may not sound appealing on its own, but watching the demo, I just love the dude's attention to detail in gameplay and it makes me really want to play this. Figuring out how to traverse the land using the immense amount of tools and gadgets at your disposal, where your decisions affect that gameplay at the most detailed level (your load will affect your maneuverability, from the weight to your ability to balance depending on where on your body you place your cargo). 

Day one buy for me, abstaining from watching any more footage. I'm excited for the journey ahead. 

It's the opposite for me. It seems more like every aspect I have come to despise about open world games, but making it the main focus. 

9 hours ago, Mike said:

The only real gameplay is the combat 

I'm not going to dispute your lack of interest in the game, which I totally understand (I'm still getting it but I don't doubt it'll test my patience, which I admittedly have a lot of), but this seems like a very reductive statement. The traversal IS the gameplay, and it appears that it's pretty intricately designed in its mechanics and how they all work together. It might not be the type of gameplay you're into, but it's not like anything that isn't fighting doesn't count as gameplay. 

I watched a Giant Bomb video on it and they were playing a side mission in which you literally deliver a pizza. But because you're delivering a pizza, there are certain considerations--you need to organize your cargo in such a way that the pizza is not turned on its side or upside down. Failing to do this will result in damage to the pizza. Once you're delivering it, every decision you make must be informed by the nature of your delivery--keeping it dry, upright, delivering it in 30 minutes or less. This sort of wacky shit is understandably a turn-off for many, but it really established this as something I've gotta play, even if I do have to contend with Kojima's absurd overwriting. 

For a game on the absolute opposite end of the spectrum, I started up DOOM 2016 recently for the first time. That game epitomizes not wasting a second of your time, everything in every level is explicitly designed to be fun. I know it was a sleeper hit, but I wish that game had sent some shockwaves through the FPS genre and inspired some of these triple A developers. 

I don't think Doom was used a guide for other games because it came out right before the explosion of loot boxes and microtransactions. So where Doom was everything gamers wanted it was everything most studios steered away from. The big thing I've noticed is that studios with solid reputations are taking gaming seriously while the bigger studios and publishers are pushing for money. Insomniac and Obsidian are good examples of the studios looking to uphold reputation rather than go for money. And I could be wrong about this but for the moment it looks like the studios Sony and Microsoft are buying up are the ones that fit this mold. If consoles continue to turn into a war over exclusives then I would not be surprised if there is a huge consideration into quality vs money making when they get bought. That seems to be the case with Outer Worlds. Microsoft bought them, gave them money and gave them freedom. It worked out well. Unfortunately for Microsoft it was too late to get the exclusive but still it shows how well staying out of the way works. Same can be said for Sony with Spiderman

Reading a lot of the reviews for Death Stranding, and yeah, a lot of the scores aren't matching up well with the explained experience the reviewers claim to have had. I try not to walk into conspiracy territory, but I wonder how much the potential of widespread backlash for a negative opinion of a Kojima game influenced the rating?

I think, in the end, it's a bit unfair to gamers not to be a little more honest with most gamers trusting Metacritic's aggregate scores. 

On 11/3/2019 at 1:48 AM, Ruiner II said:

The traversal IS the gameplay

Yeah but is this honestly what anyone wanted? Kojima free from the clutches of Konami making an intriguing sci-fi game and it turns out you just deliver stuff and position boxes on yourself and set up ladders. Everyone expected some form of real combat.

11 hours ago, Matt said:

Reading a lot of the reviews for Death Stranding, and yeah, a lot of the scores aren't matching up well with the explained experience the reviewers claim to have had. I try not to walk into conspiracy territory, but I wonder how much the potential of widespread backlash for a negative opinion of a Kojima game influenced the rating?

I think, in the end, it's a bit unfair to gamers not to be a little more honest with most gamers trusting Metacritic's aggregate scores. 

User reviews are pointless as idiot gamers review bomb stuff and you can't trust their opinions. I don't even know why places like Steam have user reviews. Totally unreliable. I'll watch professional reviews from GameSpot, IGN or Easy Allies and I'll check out what the overall consensus is but a review is never the make or break deciding factor on if I get a game or not. You really can't trust critic reviews either. It's so obvious most of the time what review score a game is going to get. Before Red Dead Redemption 2 and that same vintage Rockstar clunky movement and abysmal shooting was released I knew every review would be giving the new game from the most overrated developer in gaming a 9 or 10.

I'm really not surprised by the whole Death Stranding thing.

I knew we were in trouble when Kojima said even he didn't understand Death Stranding, just a month before release. And this after years of just showing weird cutscenes and no gameplay.

I admit the end result sounds a little fascinating, especially the idea that pathways you make can be available for future players to use. That leaves me a little concerned that the game may get easier then over time as it becomes increasingly social, but it's a concept that sounds worth exploring. 

That said, it pleases me in a sick way that after all this time waiting we find the game is ultimately part movie (I've heard the intro is four hours? Of course it is.) and part Fed Ex Simulator. I knew Kojima was unlikely to do anything similar to Metal Gear after having handled that franchise for so long, but I sure wasn't expecting this, and yet it makes perfect sense. 

It makes me think about how some musicians need a producer or someone outside to reign in their worst tendencies. Now we see Kojima unbound; look upon his work and despair. 

39 minutes ago, pen said:

I've heard the intro is four hours?

I assumed when Harty said that is was hyperbole. You also heard that the opening cutscene is four hours? That's absolutely ridiculous if true. Can you pause it? Do you get checkpoints so you can quit and come back or do they honestly expect people to sit there for four straight hours and watch basically two movies back to back? I feel like Kojima the storyteller isn't as good at his job as people think he is if he is unable to tell the story with more manageable cutscenes.

6 hours ago, Mike said:

I assumed when Harty said that is was hyperbole. You also heard that the opening cutscene is four hours? That's absolutely ridiculous if true. Can you pause it? Do you get checkpoints so you can quit and come back or do they honestly expect people to sit there for four straight hours and watch basically two movies back to back? I feel like Kojima the storyteller isn't as good at his job as people think he is if he is unable to tell the story with more manageable cutscenes.

Don't quote me cause I may be conflating what Harty said with what I've read. I can't find an article with any conclusive proof, although the consensus is that there are quite a lot of long, overdrawn cutscenes and I have read some reports that the ending is supposed to be two hours.

I've heard that the first several hours have a LOT of very long cutscenes, but not that the beginning of the game is one hours-long cutscene. 

My deal with Death Stranding, and Kojima himself, is that his writing has cool ideas but also plenty of bad ones, and he doesn't seem to know how to filter those ideas. And then there's the issue of his dialogue, which I do not like at all. 

On the other hand, he's also one of the most forward-thinking game designers I've ever been aware of, and the level of originality, depth, and attention to detail of his game design is something very, very few major studios have--I can only call to mind Nintendo and From Software for a comparison. (maybe CD Projekt Red? I didn't make it far enough into Wild Hunt to speak too much on them.) That's not to say I don't like anyone else--Naughty Dog is an example of a developer I love wholeheartedly, but their strengths lie a lot more at the surface level than what you see in a game like Breath of the Wild, Sekiro, or The Phantom Pain. 

So I'm happy he's around getting to do what he wants to do with a lot of money to do it with, and I'm happy to support it, because I'm sure I'll have a great time with Death Stranding that I wouldn't ever have with any other game, even if I'm also sure I'll spent a lot of time frustrated with the impulses Kojima is so, so bad at reining in. If there were more triple A designers pushing the envelope better than he does, maybe I wouldn't give him the time of my day (he REALLY does not respect the player's time) but that's just not the case. 

The Outer Worlds might be great, but everything I see from it makes it feel like something I've done before. That also goes for Fallen Order, anything Ubisoft puts out, Spider-Man, Borderlands 3, pretty much every big hyped up game that comes out lately. Other than Sekiro, I think the most refreshing experience I had with a game this year was Resident Evil 2--which is a remake. How does that work? 

It's funny, I was reading earlier today about another game designer that seems just as eccentric as Kojima; Suda 51.

He made Killer 7 and No More Heroes, but his second game ever was a title in the Fire Pro Wrestling series.

What you'd expect to just be a typical wrestling game has a story mode where all of your character's friends die and even after winning the final bout, he's so depressed by what he's lost along the way that he commits suicide. 

I just thought I'd share that nugget.