Heinerken

Got (Gaming) News

12,709 posts in this topic

Sony has announced that they're skipping E3 2019. This really sucks. It honestly feels like the death of E3. Instead of a Super-Bowl-like event where a bunch of stuff is shown and announced, it feels like in the future everything will be spaced out throughout the year.

- New Zelda game coming sooner than we think
Skyward Sword port for Switch teased

With Yoshi and (presumably) Metroid Prime 4 out in 2019, a new Zelda game coming in 2020 would be awesome. You gotta figure BOTW was finished on Wii U and they just held off until Switch came out so for all we know, a follow-up could've been in development before BOTW even released. I'd also be fine with A Link Between Worlds re-releasing on Switch. Even though I already played it on 3DS and still own the digital version of the game, I'd love to play it again and would only play it again if I could do it on my TV. 

I was late to the Zelda party. I was never into it when I was younger. Luckily with these re-releases I've gotten to play all of the older 3D Zelda games that I've wanted to play. Ocarina of Time was released on 3DS and I had some fun with that. Twilight Princess was released on Wii U so I got to try it without the crappy motion controls that helped ruin it for me on Wii. I got to play Wind Waker for the first time on Wii U. I played a little of Skyward Sword on Wii but couldn't get into it. I'd like to try it again with normal controls. The only thing that might ruin it for me is that I've since played BOTW which fixed a lot of my complaints about the series so it might be tough going back to the old way of Zelda games. But I'd still like to try it again.

And for the record, I never played or had any interest in playing the Majora's Mask remaster. The game sounds awful from what I've heard about it.

So RDR 2 Online sucks a bunch of dick. 

I understand that it's in "beta", but you see, the problem isn't that the game is buggy, it's that sucks a bunch of dick.

- Pretty much every fun thing you can do in the main game is made crappy or more often removed entirely. No activities or mini games, no hunting as best I can tell, the physics are noticeably worse (you can't crash your horse into another guy on his horse, which is the single most fun thing to do in the whole game). 

- The world feels completely dead and empty. There's few people around, no bounty hunters in my experience, law enforcement is scant and extremely slow to respond. 

- There's a total lack of freedom even relative the single player--you can't rob stores or even take your gun out, a bunch of NPCs down to the piano player at the saloons can't be attacked or even phased in any way. There's some stuff to buy, but it's all obviously ridiculously overpriced and blocked by level because Take Two wants to sell those gold bars. Not to mention that there's an hour of unskippable cutscenes and story missions to complete before you even go online. 

- not sure how they were going to get around this but gunfighting with NPCs is a pain in the ass because the slow-mo function used to hide the crappy shooting in the single player is obviously impossible to implement. 

- the player creator is absolutely awful--maybe one of the worst I've seen in recent memory. Nearly every choice of face is that of the ugliest motherfucker you'd ever see in the world, if not outright deformed. It's hilarious to think this was ever approved by such a big studio. They couldn't just recycle some face models from the actual game? 

- And most crucially, there's nothing to do--at all. There seems to be some crappy story missions that involve mostly traveling from point A to point B, and a few PVP modes, but that's it. It takes 200 in-game dollars just to set up a posse for you and your friends, and there isn't even any poker! Poker, one of the most obvious and enticing activities for online is not in the game. 

And sure, there's a very strong chance that many of these things will be added in the years to come, but considering most of them are already in the game, they don't deserve credit for that. GTA Online may be a blatant scheme to milk rich fuckers who can afford to pay hundreds of dollars to unlock all the cool stuff required to participate in the in-game economy, but at least it does so while having a world full of fun shit to do with your friends, be it robbing liquor stores or mountain climbing or stunt races or finding creative ways to exploit the sandbox for multiplayer fun. When my buddy hops on RDR later and we get to finally play it I'm not sure what we can do other than dick around on our horses in a skeletal rendition of the map. 

On 11/30/2018 at 11:01 PM, Ruiner II said:

1. you can't crash your horse into another guy on his horse

2. the player creator is absolutely awful...It's hilarious to think this was ever approved by such a big studio.

4. there's an hour of unskippable cutscenes and story missions to complete before you even go online

1. Good. I accidently bumped my horse into some random person on their horse one time and it got my wanted level up. I hate how basically every time you finish a mission or make accidental physical contact with anyone you have a bounty on your head. If I could go back in time and tell myself one piece of advice, it would be to not waste money paying off bounties. One time I was in Saint Denis at a photo booth and all of a sudden people bust through the door and shoot me dead and I was 100% sure I had no bounty for that city.

2. I think the Houser brothers and Rockstar act as a totally independent studio and Take Two is smart enough to just let them do whatever they want. I wouldn't be surprised if every decision in the game (including microtransactions) was up to Rockstar.

3. This info right here will probably convince me to never try the online. I'm about 40 hours into the game (spent almost entirely on story missions) which is around 70% done with the story. It never ends. I'm not sitting through an hour of story just to dabble in 15 minutes of a bad online mode.

As for my experience with the game lately...the story is getting better. Arthur Morgan is easily the best character Rockstar has ever created. It's also been fun to see Dutch turn into a villain. I had totally forgotten he was the bad guy in the first game. My biggest complaint about games that get good reviews...developers comparing dick sizes by showing off who can have the most unnecessarily long story. I feel like the first 20 hours of the story is just the gang moving to a new town, robbing some people and then running for their lives and moving to another new town. They really milked that length. I feel like this game could've benefitted from a questline system like Skyrim, instead of just one long 60 hour story. Luckily it's finally getting good now...although the pace weirdly slows down in the early parts of the final chapter. I'm looking forward to getting done with the story so I can do what I've wanted to do all along...just get lost in the open world and interact with those wonderful white dots on the map to see those random encounters with people.

Thoughts on the Game Awards...

- Geoff Keighley continues to make gaming feel like a legitimate medium up there with movies and shows. I love the stuff he does for the games industry. The award show ran about 45 minutes too long (could've cut out those pointless sentimental developer videos) but overall it didn't drag nearly as much as in previous years.

- Seeing bosses from Xbox, Nintendo and PlayStation on stage together was really cool.

- The Hans Zimmer Game Awards theme song sounds nice but I feel like it's a ripoff of some other songs from games or movies that I can't put my finger on. And I liked how all the other music played were from games.

- Sad Obsidian didn't announce BioShock but I still think The Outer Worlds looks really good, probably my best of show from the little they showed of it. I was also very surprised Hello Games announced a new game. That looks good too. Hades, Scavengers, Atlas (looks like a good version of Sea of Thieves) and The Pathless also piqued my interest and I'm happy they announce Mortal Kombat 11 and that it's coming out so soon. It's nice we had some announcements for games and they're not five years away from coming out. 

- While the games look good, I feel like Rage 2, the new Far Cry and Cyberpunk 2077 (which wasn't at the show) kinda all feel like the same game. That's one reason why The Outer Worlds interests me more, because it doesn't look like yet another Mad Max/punk-looking game.

- I feel like in 2019, that February and March window will be like the holiday season. It's crazy how much big stuff is coming out during that time.

- I would've picked Spider-Man but I'm okay with God of War winning GOTY because it means that RDR2 didn't win it.

- Fortnite winning Best Ongoing Game was complete bullshit. They add emotes, cosmetics and nothing much of substance and it gets the award because a bunch of kids that wouldn't know a good game if it bit them in the ass like it. No Man's Sky has been releasing game-changing updates for free for two years and Destiny 2 has been releasing hugely meaningful content that has the Destiny community the happiest it's ever been but nope...Fortnite wins.

- I feel like I'm not the target demographic for video games and I feel out of touch now. Everyone obsesses over dumb Fortnite which I could care less about. And back in my day video game icons were people like Satoru Iwata and Shigeru Miyamoto....people who actually did something for gaming. Nowadays these so-called gamers are less interested in the games and the people who make them and more interested in the eSports or streaming douchebags and their fictitious, over the top personalities.

33 minutes ago, Mike said:

Thoughts on the Game Awards...

- Geoff Keighley continues to make gaming feel like a legitimate medium up there with movies and shows. I love the stuff he does for the games industry. The award show ran about 45 minutes too long (could've cut out those pointless sentimental developer videos) but overall it didn't drag nearly as much as in previous years.

- Seeing bosses from Xbox, Nintendo and PlayStation on stage together was really cool.

- The Hans Zimmer Game Awards theme song sounds nice but I feel like it's a ripoff of some other songs from games or movies that I can't put my finger on. And I liked how all the other music played were from games.

- Sad Obsidian didn't announce BioShock but I still think The Outer Worlds looks really good, probably my best of show from the little they showed of it. I was also very surprised Hello Games announced a new game. That looks good too. Hades, Scavengers, Atlas (looks like a good version of Sea of Thieves) and The Pathless also piqued my interest and I'm happy they announce Mortal Kombat 11 and that it's coming out so soon. It's nice we had some announcements for games and they're not five years away from coming out. 

- While the games look good, I feel like Rage 2, the new Far Cry and Cyberpunk 2077 (which wasn't at the show) kinda all feel like the same game. That's one reason why The Outer Worlds interests me more, because it doesn't look like yet another Mad Max/punk-looking game.

- I feel like in 2019, that February and March window will be like the holiday season. It's crazy how much big stuff is coming out during that time.

- I would've picked Spider-Man but I'm okay with God of War winning GOTY because it means that RDR2 didn't win it.

- Fortnite winning Best Ongoing Game was complete bullshit. They add emotes, cosmetics and nothing much of substance and it gets the award because a bunch of kids that wouldn't know a good game if it bit them in the ass like it. No Man's Sky has been releasing game-changing updates for free for two years and Destiny 2 has been releasing hugely meaningful content that has the Destiny community the happiest it's ever been but nope...Fortnite wins.

- I feel like I'm not the target demographic for video games and I feel out of touch now. Everyone obsesses over dumb Fortnite which I could care less about. And back in my day video game icons were people like Satoru Iwata and Shigeru Miyamoto....people who actually did something for gaming. Nowadays these so-called gamers are less interested in the games and the people who make them and more interested in the eSports or streaming douchebags and their fictitious, over the top personalities.

I'm not a Fortnite fan AT ALL but they've added a hell of a lot more than just emotes and cosmetics to the game. They regularly add new weapons and gadgets (and remove unpopular ones based on feedback), regularly add new wildly different game modes (that Thanos mode, 50v50, a playground mode, and others I don't know about), and progress the "story" (if you can call it that) in ways that regularly mutate and sometimes completely rework the map.

I still think it's a fundamentally shit game (my buddy is a fanatic so I'm still in the loop) but I can't dismiss the ambition of the ongoing support. 

I'm not a fan of Fallout and while this (including the bad shooting) looks a lot like Fallout, I still think this game looks really good. Replace the drab post-apocalypse with some No Man's Sky looking planets, mix in a Firefly vibe and this game looks good. 2019 is packed with new games. The last hurrah for this console generation.

Oh and I forgot to mention this the other night but the Mortal Kombat 11 trailer music was awful and extremely out of place. For a second when I was watching it I thought the stream messed up and the music wasn't supposed to be there.