Heinerken

Got (Gaming) News

12,709 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, It's Harty! RUN! said:

Maybe the game gets more drastic but through 2 hours it seems very straight forward

If you're talking about Achievement Hunter's run, they've gone on record on their podcast as saying they're literally only doing what amounts to the prologue.

I'm not sure what you mean by straightforward. I am telling you there is a visible in-game map that shows you all your potential decisions and that's coming from someone who is playing the game, so if that's not answering your concern, I don't know what you're looking for. 

16 minutes ago, pen said:

I'm scared for Joel. 

Someone in the new trailer mentioned "her old man" or something like that so I'm assuming they're talking about him. Hopefully he's alive. I don't really see the benefit in killing him...unless it's at the very end of the game and he dies to save Ellie or something.

I'm hopeful he's still alive at the beginning at least, because I think there's narrative juice remaining in their relationship because of the way the first game ended. 

Having said that, I'm actually quite happy about the decision to have him sidelined as a playable character. He was already in pretty unbelievable physical condition for a guy in his 50s (and recovering from being impaled on rebar, near the end), it fits the tone they're going for that a man in his 60s with extraordinary wear on his body and no modern medical care isn't going to be beating multiple younger guys to death with his bare hands. 

So in probably some of the weirdest news I've heard in a while. Eek games, who is making the House Party game creating so much controversy, has been working with Take One Studios on the sex scenes. Apparently they actually did motion capture sessions for it. 

When Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker re-releases next month, it will come with brand new levels based on Super Mario Odyssey. However, this comes at the expense of four Super Mario 3D World levels that will be removed from the game. What a god damn joke that is.

So I picked up ARK on sale on PS4 this week and while it's definitely lacking the polish befitting a 60 dollar title (the graphics are rough, performance can be rough, it's somewhat buggy, the UI is daunting), it's really addictive and I'm kind of giddy at how much fun it'll be when I get my friends to play with me. Once you're into the world and doing your thing all the issues mostly fade into the background while you pursue whatever goal you set for yourself. 

I've built several small forts, killed various smaller animals and dinosaurs and cooked them for food while using their hide to make a couple of beds (which serve as respawn points), and done a lot of exploring. It can be frustratingly unforgiving at times--I've lost my entire inventory once because I ran into an apparently super rare Alpha Raptor which I'm nowhere near prepared to fight--if you die after dropping your inventory, it's at least no longer marked on the map, if not gone completely. 

It doesn't matter though because it's so engaging and fun trying to survive and build up your inventory, and exploring the massive world. There's such a thrill of adventure in exploring this world trying to craft and build useful items to build yourself up, not knowing what's around the corner. This game is highly recommended. 

I have it on steam and never even downloaded it. I can't believe people have spent the amount of money this game costs. One of the versions is $100. That's insane. And for a game that's been in production for what, 6 years now? 

I grabbed one. Wasn't planning on it because it said sold out every where. Went to a game stop and they had 6 left. Not sure if I want to keep it since I have a real nes but it was only 60 so 

ARK update: I think this game may actually be problematic. I read some accounts online of wives whose marital lives are wrecked because their husbands are so addicted to the game. Dudes on online forums sharing their 2000 hour plus time investments in the game, playing like it's a full time job. 

Point being, I'm thinking if cutting myself off is in order. If my math is right I'm at like 22 hours in a week and a half, which is really far too much. The game is just too good. The degree of detail is nothing short of astounding--this is truly its own complete world where every little thing, no matter how useless it seems, serves a purpose. I wonder if the reason it's so addictive is because it provides such a rush of adventure to people whose lives are sorely lacking in it. 

EDIT: Something that I hadn't considered when reading these stories is that most of these people were playing online on dedicated servers. As far as time investment goes, this is apparently a very different beast since the game world is moving and changing whether you're playing it or not, so if you've built up a solid foundation (tamed animals, maybe a nice base with crop plots, etc) it becomes pertinent that you jump in on a regular basis to run some basic maintenance--and this obviously becomes more and more involved the bigger and more complicated your character's life becomes. And there's also the WoW-like social aspect, where people are joining tribes and working together to build the biggest, most efficient tribe possible and dominate the server.

Needless to say, I can't say I'll be doing all that. The game is already more than deep enough in single player/non-dedicated online play.

So the xbox game pass has become one of my best investments over the past few months. They have had several great titles that have been added like Warhammer Vermintide 2, Oblivion, State of Decay and Shadow Complex remastered. Warhammer was an awesome surprise game for me, its a blast with friends. If you liked Left for Dead you'll love it.

@Mike have you played the new No Man's Sky expansion? I recalled reading a few days ago multiplayer was coming but just read a Polygon article really pushing how much better the game is in every way and now I'm getting kind of hyped to jump back in it. I'm hoping it's good enough to entice my friend to start playing again, which will be a challenge. 

EDIT: I now see that Mike hasn't been online in a month. Hope all is well. 

1 hour ago, Ruiner II said:

@Mike have you played the new No Man's Sky expansion? I recalled reading a few days ago multiplayer was coming but just read a Polygon article really pushing how much better the game is in every way and now I'm getting kind of hyped to jump back in it. I'm hoping it's good enough to entice my friend to start playing again, which will be a challenge. 

EDIT: I now see that Mike hasn't been online in a month. Hope all is well. 

Some of the pictures I saw yesterday on Twitter were pretty incredible. Wonder if it is all too little too late

Gamestop is stopping the Elite Pro Program as of today. If you are a current member you will have benefits until your thing expires. This sucks since I used the discounts heavily on retro games. I probably saved 300-400 dollars using the program. 

On 6/29/2018 at 0:17 AM, Omar said:

I lucked out and got one late afternoon on the 29th; just happened to get an email from Best Buy and they were low-key marketing it on there and I went "oh shit, I totally forgot!" and went to look assuming they were sold out and, lucky me, they a few left and I ordered one for pick-up that day and went and got it about an hour later! Also picked up the cable extensions to use the controller from more than 18" from the TV, lol. And conveniently I had the SNES Classic already and the controllers are compatible so I have three total compatible controllers for both systems now.

I am kind of regretting getting the NES classic. I guess it's cool to have but there just aren't enough games on it. I might end up doing the mod on it at some point

Yeah I ended up returning my NES Classic. I still have the SNES, but I honestly barely play that too. Cool novelty but not a lot of saying power for me.

i did purchase a Switch last month though, which is GREAT. 

47 minutes ago, pen said:

What games?

So far Odessey, Kart, and Pokken Tournament. Freakin games are rarely on sale so I have to be patient with it. Can’t wait for Super Smash Bros, it’s really the main reason I got the console. 

2 hours ago, Omar said:

So far Odessey, Kart, and Pokken Tournament. Freakin games are rarely on sale so I have to be patient with it. Can’t wait for Super Smash Bros, it’s really the main reason I got the console. 

I hear ya. Right now besides Zelda I have Pokemon Quest and Fortnite because they're free, and I bought Picross S, Blaster Master Zero, and Mighty Gunvolt Burst because they're $10 bucks each.

I'd love to get Odyssey, Kirby, DKC Tropical Freeze, Xenoblade... but like you said, they're never on sale and I can't just drop $50 bucks or so on one game. I'm hoping as time goes on that Nintendo will introduce some kind of budget brand for titles that have sold well, like they have for consoles in the past. It's about my only hope right now, I suppose.

BTW, with the way Nintendo's adding characters to the Smash roster (Simon Belmont and King K. Rool were just announced today), if nothing from StarTropics makes any kind of appearance in the game, even as an assist trophy, I'm going to go loco-bananas.

On 8/8/2018 at 0:03 PM, Omar said:

Yeah I ended up returning my NES Classic. I still have the SNES, but I honestly barely play that too. Cool novelty but not a lot of saying power for me.

i did purchase a Switch last month though, which is GREAT. 

Yeah I tend to agree. Not a lot of games I am super familiar with on either one, to be honest. And I suck at Mario Bros. platformers lol. I got so frustrated the first time I played.