Heinerken

Got (Gaming) News

12,298 posts in this topic

Anyone play the demo for Knack 2? I never played the original because it looked like your typical crappy generic console launch game but the demo for Knack 2 was actually pretty fun. Not sure if the gameplay has been improved since the first game but the combat sorta felt like a PS2 generation kind of action game which is okay once in a while. I liked the ability to become small and sneak behind enemies and then get big and attack from behind. I'm not gonna buy the game but it'll probably be worth a rental when I get GameFly next year. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Anyone play the demo for Knack 2? I never played the original because it looked like your typical crappy generic console launch game but the demo for Knack 2 was actually pretty fun. Not sure if the gameplay has been improved since the first game but the combat sorta felt like a PS2 generation kind of action game which is okay once in a while. I liked the ability to become small and sneak behind enemies and then get big and attack from behind. I'm not gonna buy the game but it'll probably be worth a rental when I get GameFly next year. 

I never played the first game, but Dunkey (on YouTube) pretty frequently hypes it. It's hard to know exactly how much of it is tongue in cheek, but I always imagined that it's at better than the initial reception would suggest. 

On 9/3/2017 at 1:54 PM, Ruiner said:

I never played the first game, but Dunkey (on YouTube) pretty frequently hypes it. It's hard to know exactly how much of it is tongue in cheek, but I always imagined that it's at better than the initial reception would suggest. 

It is incredibly tongue in cheek.  As I understand it, it is a thoroughly mediocre game.

Rocket League Autumn update coming September 28
- New seasonal arena called Farmstead
- 90 new items to collect
- More limited time events will be added where you can acquire decryptors to unlock crates
- New Accelerator crate will be added
- Player banners have been introduced which will appear during goal replays and post-game celebration screen
- Goalposts are now transparent so you can see around the corner if you're in the net
- Standardized arena sizes and some variants on five existing maps
- LAN support on PC, new season begins, improved home screen, director mode for spectating matches

For the most part I like everything in this update. The game is in desperate need of new free items as it seems like the only cool stuff being introduced lately is from crates. It's good to see them giving us some free stuff. And with 90 items, hopefully it keeps players busy until the next update. I like how they're making more of the maps standard size. Starbase ARC is a good map but it's way too big. I wish every Rocket League map was the same size and didn't have any gimmicks. Goalposts being transparent is an improvement. Player banners are a good idea to add some personalization to something other than cars. The only thing I don't like is how this Farmstead map is seasonal. They're introducing a new map and then it's not going to be used for 3/4 of the year. Doesn't make any sense to me. When it wasn't winter, Bungie didn't stop using the Snowbound map in Halo 3. Who gives a shit what season it is? The real world shouldn't impact what maps are used in a game. There's a cool Christmas map on RL but unfortunately this perfectly good map is sitting in a closet collecting dust for a few more months while players are stuck using the same old maps over and over again.

So lately I've been replaying the Layton games as I plan to eventually get the new Lady Layton game and I'm doing a run-up to that sublime moment.

Except now I'm on the third game and starting to regret deciding to play it. Not because anything's wrong with the game, but because it has one of the saddest endings to a game I've ever played and I'm not sure I'm ready for this.

Spoiler

Basically the whole game involves time travel, and throughout the game you run into this woman who looks just like Layton's lost love, who disappeared in an accidental explosion involving science. Layton's wondering if she got transported in time, until you find out all the time travel shenanigans are lies, there is no time travel, and she's not his lost love, but her twin sister.

Except surprise, after you finish beating the main villain and solving the mystery, you find out that she's not a twin sister, she's actually Layton's lost love after all, because she actually really did get unstuck in time, except now that you've solved the mystery, she's going to snap back to the day she disappeared and die in the explosion anyway.

It is one of the most gut-wrenching scenes I've watched in a game, all the worse because it's not a series you expect this from, but to watch Layton beg her to stay because he can't deal with losing her again... it's hard.

There were tears. There will be tears again. I may need someone to hold me.

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

I got a SNES.  Yay.

I'll be saying that after work when I go pick mine up at Best Buy. And then a few short days later, the person who buys it from me on eBay will be saying the same thing.

Went to Target at 7:55 and was about 20th in line, and they had 40 in stock, so that was nice since I missed out on the pre-order.

pLQw2yb.jpg?1

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Went to Target at 7:55 and was about 20th in line, and they had 40 in stock, so that was nice since I missed out on the pre-order.

I've been reading Target is the place to go because they are pretty much selling all of their stock in stores and not doing online orders. I wish I could have gone but I start work at 8. My only options were Best Buy who were supposedly handing out tickets at 7 and letting you go in later in the day to purchase it but there was already a freakin line at 10 PM.

On 9/30/2017 at 1:34 PM, pen said:

It's a Metroidvania by WayFoward. Of course I am.

I could also swear this was already mentioned here before.

Did you DL Super Phantom Cat 2 yet? I couldn't even beat the 2nd level cuz it was hard and the controls seemed more stiff than the first game. I wonder if they added bosses this time cuz I haven't played it much.

2 hours ago, RainbowDragon said:

Did you DL Super Phantom Cat 2 yet? I couldn't even beat the 2nd level cuz it was hard and the controls seemed more stiff than the first game. I wonder if they added bosses this time cuz I haven't played it much.

I'm out of my mobile gaming phase for the moment. The only mobile games I'm still hoping to purchase are Lady Layton and Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies because it's cheaper to get them on mobile than to buy a 3DS.

gamestop-leak-rental-356x410.jpg

https://gamerant.com/gamestop-game-rental-program/

This is AMAZING. Blockbuster had something like this about 15 years ago for one summer and I think it was about $10 or $20 a month so this is a much better deal and the selection will be much greater. The only downfall with this is that it's too good of a deal and I don't imagine it lasting for long. For a long time I've wanted a digital GameFly service but after seeing the paltry selection of old games that the console makers offer for their game pass services, this is a much better deal and much cheaper.

So this game is getting shut down. https://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-marvel-heroes-1820475273/amp

Its a PC Diablo style game with Marvel characters started in 2013.They just released it on the PS4 earlier this year so I guess those players are getting screwed the most. I never played it but I play a another Marvel style game that Ive spent money on that will eventually shut down some day and Im kinda dreading that.