Heinerken

Got (Gaming) News

12,282 posts in this topic

So there are a ton of previews out there for Destiny 2 from places like IGN and Game Informer and while I've been avoiding most footage as I want to see things for myself in the game, I have been reading a little about it and it seems like Destiny 2 is going to get the 9 and 10 review scores that everyone initially expected from the first game. There seems to be a lot more activities to do for PvE players this time around and I've heard nothing but positive things from the previews of the game so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TaNbULL said:

Destiny 2 is BUTTERY SMOOTH on PC. I am so glad I pre-ordered there. Running at over 100 FPS is incredible for this game. 

Came here to say this.  Game is gorgeous and smooth on PC.  Loving this beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Andrew said:

Came here to say this.  Game is gorgeous and smooth on PC.  Loving this beta.

Are we friends on battle.net? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, TaNbULL said:

Are we friends on battle.net? 

Slumpkins#1199

We are now.

Anyone else can add that if they wanna play Overwatch or, in the future, Destiny 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though I'll be playing The Big D on Xbox, I'm so happy to hear that it is is running well on PC. As a top-tier AAA developer, I had faith they could pull it off but if it launched all messed up on PC, it would likely delay the release of expansions on consoles until it was fixed and now it seems that won't be the case. I can't will till this long, dreadful month of August is finally over and the fun can start to begin in September.

Coming early September and this Fall (Fall of course being the best season of the year)...

- My most anticipated thing all year is coming nice and early...Destiny 2 and my Destinycation for 11 wonderful days
- Star Wars
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Blade Runner
- Football season
- Baseball playoffs
- Goodbye crappy warm weather, hello 60 degree fall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Slumpkins#1199

We are now.

Anyone else can add that if they wanna play Overwatch or, in the future, Destiny 2.

Added. We should play. Also, we should play Overwatch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mike said:

Ruiner, are you going to give Destiny 2 a chance or are you going to be a cunt?

When am I ever not a cunt? 

Look, just for you, I'll give it a go if there's a free demo. I'm not gonna drop 60 dollars or sign up for Gamefly for it, though. I'm keeping pretty busy between work, coursework, and home-schooling, I don't game too much outside of the odd Rainbow 6 (especially during new seasons) and Tekken session. Even if the game is actually super awesome and right up my alley, the only thing I see myself pouring hours and hours of my life into any time soon is Bojack Horseman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mike said:

Lucky for you there's a free PC beta going on right now. 

I have a lot of reservations about whether my laptop can handle it--I tried the R6 free weekend on it and it had a very hard time even on low settings. Games like Left 4 Dead 2 and Portal 2 run like butter but I've had a hard time with more recent stuff. 

But hey, I'll throw it in the download queue when I get home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ruiner said:

I have a lot of reservations about whether my laptop can handle it--I tried the R6 free weekend on it and it had a very hard time even on low settings. Games like Left 4 Dead 2 and Portal 2 run like butter but I've had a hard time with more recent stuff. 

But hey, I'll throw it in the download queue when I get home. 

If it makes you feel better Ruiner, I'm also daring the unknown. Dare with me, Ruiner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's this shit where I can't download it through Steam? Why do motherfuckers have to keep trying to make other Steams? We only need one Steam!

Also I just made an account on the stupid Blizzard app so @ me at loopcloses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

What's this shit where I can't download it through Steam? Why do motherfuckers have to keep trying to make other Steams? We only need one Steam!

Also I just made an account on the stupid Blizzard app so @ me at loopcloses.

I mean Battle.Net's been around since looooooong before all the other game launchers decided to join the fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Destiny 2 is what most would probably consider "unplayable" on my laptop. I powered through despite the atrocious framerate, and I will say that the gameplay is silky smooth, but the gameplay was really never an issue with the first Destiny (other than maybe a lack of depth). It also controls really well with a M+K, which I'm in a weird place with where some games it feels like a revelation (Left 4 Dead is another) where others I just fumble around like an idiot trying to aim (Rainbow Six over the free weekend, CS:GO). I eventually died because I didn't really know the controls and the bad framerate was making doing things harder than they should be and then I quit. If they do a PS4 beta I'll try that (though, I mean, I bought Destiny after having played its beta, though that was more buying into the crazy hype than anything).

I want to talk about my computer situation. I mentioned before that games like Left 4 Dead 2 and Portal (and others from that timeframe) all run excellently on my laptop, even above low settings. I recall Skyrim running very well too. I guess games got way more graphically intensive once the the new systems came out, because now everything I check the requirements for online, my RAM and processor are almost always more than sufficient (Intel I7-3565, 16GB) but the graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 8770) is always waaaaay below the minimum requirements. Like, by a lot. And unfortunately, according to my computer nerd stepfather, the graphics card is the one thing that isn't really replaceable in my system, unless I did an external graphics card set-up (this sounds interesting, may research further).

But the deal is that my best friend is making great military money now and decided he was going to start becoming a PC gamer, with a cool computer cave in his huge house. Which means I need to be able to keep up if I want to keep playing games with him online (which I do, it's our main activity when separate). So now I come to realize that my laptop, which I specifically bought freshman year of college to be a system that could handle gaming, is horribly equipped to handle gaming, so I'm pretty much screwed unless I dump a grand plus in a new laptop (which I likely will need to do anyway at some point for career purposes, but isn't practical now). There isn't really anything anybody here can do about any of this, but I wanted to air my frustrations that in the four years it took me to decide I wanted to start using my PC for gaming, it became obsolete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, I hate to rub salt on the wound my man, but anyone who's serious about PC gaming should never invest in a laptop for that purpose.  One of the biggest appeals of PC gaming is the ease of upgrading to catch up to new tech, which using a laptop totally negates.

Save some money and build a real rig man, you won't regret it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Andrew said:

I mean, I hate to rub salt on the wound my man, but anyone who's serious about PC gaming should never invest in a laptop for that purpose.  One of the biggest appeals of PC gaming is the ease of upgrading to catch up to new tech, which using a laptop totally negates.

Save some money and build a real rig man, you won't regret it.

Exactly this. Invest in a good CPU, at least 16GB of RAM, and a solid motherboard. Then, if you wanted you could throw a GTX 1060 in there and it would run a lot of today's games just fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Andrew said:

I mean, I hate to rub salt on the wound my man, but anyone who's serious about PC gaming should never invest in a laptop for that purpose.  One of the biggest appeals of PC gaming is the ease of upgrading to catch up to new tech, which using a laptop totally negates.

Save some money and build a real rig man, you won't regret it.

 

2 hours ago, TaNbULL said:

Exactly this. Invest in a good CPU, at least 16GB of RAM, and a solid motherboard. Then, if you wanted you could throw a GTX 1060 in there and it would run a lot of today's games just fine. 

It's mainly that in my situation, portability really is an invaluable asset. With respect to that, I might look more into this external graphics card solution. 

I also have what is supposed to be a good little rig sitting in my old room in AL, and could always throw some money to get that shipped up here (unfortunately given the distance, I can't check to see what it's actually got under the hood, but worst case scenario replacing the graphics card would be an option with that. 

And cost is still a big factor here. I'm paying Seattle cost of living, tuition, a car note, insurance, and trying to build a repertoire of music gear. For the same reason I can't follow the temptation to throw 300 bucks at a Switch solely to game, even if I did save up a grand, at that point, it would be much better spent elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I tried to play the Beta and ultimately I was able to play and tinker around a little in the opening level, but found that it took minutes for things to load like my character menu and the new gun I equipped after.

When the same happened with the next part of the level, I decided to back out. I think ultimately I'm going to have to invest in a new processor as that's now my major stumbling block when it comes to games.

Frankly I might as well just invest in a new computer at this point, but it's going to be a while before that's possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pen said:

So I tried to play the Beta and ultimately I was able to play and tinker around a little in the opening level, but found that it took minutes for things to load like my character menu and the new gun I equipped after.

When the same happened with the next part of the level, I decided to back out. I think ultimately I'm going to have to invest in a new processor as that's now my major stumbling block when it comes to games.

Frankly I might as well just invest in a new computer at this point, but it's going to be a while before that's possible.

Careful if you do decide to just upgrade the processor. If you go that route, make sure the processor you pick is the same socket type as the motherboard you currently have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.