Heinerken

Got (Gaming) News

12,136 posts in this topic

On 3/19/2017 at 7:08 AM, Mike said:

GameFly sent me a email saying I could rejoin for $1 for the first month which is awesome so tomorrow I'll be signing up for GameFly a few months earlier than I planned to so there is the possibility I could actually get to Mass Effect soon. In this month I'm gonna try to only get to games I don't imagine I'm gonna spend a lot of time with like Hitma

Speaking of this, give me a shout when you get around with to that. I'm interested in what you'll think of it. And remember this: make sure you turn Opportunities to "Minimal" when you start the game--I can't imagine you want to figure out all the crap to do in the game by yourself, but at the same time Opportunities in "Full" mode is downright handholding that completely undermines a lot of the fun. "Minimal" is a good balance between the two.

Yooka-Laylee review roundup

Game Informer - 8/10
IGN - 7/10
GameSpot - 6/10
Polygon - 5.5/10

A snippet from the Polygon review doesn't surprise me at all and sounds very much like what I said on here after playing the demo...

"Yooka-Laylee looks the part of an updated platformer, but some of its mechanics should have stayed back in the era it came from. There was a reason we haven't seen more games like Banjo Kazooie on modern platforms, and it wasn't just because Rare as we knew it was gone; its ideas were very specific to a gameplay era that we've evolved past."

Gonna be honest, I really don't like Polygon when it comes to reviews, because they are ridiculously critical to a fault.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

There was a reason we haven't seen more games like Banjo Kazooie on modern platforms, and it wasn't just because Rare as we knew it was gone; its ideas were very specific to a gameplay era that we've evolved past."

Shut up, snob.

Polygon was also the site that wrote an entire article about how they weren't going to review Star Fox Zero because they hated it so much. They feel unprofessional. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Are you...are you talking to me and under the impression that the italicized and quoted texted is me?

I know it wasn't you. I'm talking to the guy who said that. I know you still like platformers because you're always mentioning Rachet and Clank.

1 hour ago, pen said:

Polygon was also the site that wrote an entire article about how they weren't going to review Star Fox Zero because they hated it so much. They feel unprofessional. 

Yeah that was ridiculous. I despise motion controls and other controller gimmicks and I still thought Star Fox Zero was a pretty fun game. 

I watched a Yooka-Laylee review from GameSpot and they weren't a fan either. They said the camera made it very tough to platform.

Digging up my comments from December after I played the demo and most reviews are mentioning the same stuff I did...

Spoiler

Me: "Thoughts on Yooka-Laylee...well unfortunately this was a big disappointment and thank god I got to try a demo first because I was fully prepared to buy this for $40 without renting it. Now I'll probably just rent it. My biggest issue is the camera. Pretty much every third-person game let's you control the camera with the right stick. Yooka-Laylee is no different. But unfortunately this game has a somewhat-aggressive camera that follows your character that you move with the left stick. So a lot of times their camera controls and your camera control are conflicting and it just feels weird. And in a platformer, camera is of the utmost importance. The rest of the gameplay felt very basic and didn't feel very fun at all. It felt dated. The art style and music seem very promising, though."

Pen: "I mean, considering it's supposed to be in the vein of Mario 64 and Banjo, how does it compare to those two games?"

Me: "I don't really remember a lot about gameplay from many N64 games. I feel like a lot of those games that were fun back then might feel dated now as they were very early 3D games before controls and camera were better. That's the feeling I got from Yooka-Laylee. It felt like a port of an N64 game. I guess that was the point of the whole game but I suppose I was just looking for a better camera and tighter controls like seen in Super Mario 3D World."

To be fair, reviews are varying wildly. Forbes gave it an 8 and PC Gamer a 4/5 for example.

I expect a game like this to be divisive because a lot of the appeal is really rooted in nostalgia and the people who wanted a new Banjo game who weren't getting one.

Beyond that, the camera concerns don't bother me mostly because I came to expect that from non-Mario N64 era platformers and it's not a deal breaker to me, but I can understand why it would be for other people. 

The only concern I have is that I heard it's only 5 worlds, but I also hear those worlds expand as you progress, which sounds interesting.

I will likely still purchase it just because the genre is starved and this comes from people I trust with the genre. Even if it's flawed, I still think I'm in for a fun ride.

It occurs to me: there's, like, nothing I'm excited about coming out for the rest of the year. If Spider-Man makes it out in 2017, that's a big exception, but that's a maybe and that's all I've got. It's kind of depressing, really. Good on the wallet, but that's a long time without anything new to play. I may end up having to rent that Horizon game just because. I guess that's the price I pay for finally getting a good Resident Evil game to start the year. Why couldn't Mass Effect be great?

*Note: this obviously doesn't apply to Switch players, who get a Zelda and a Mario game, or Mike, who likes Destiny.

I'm actually happy that there isn't much coming out for the rest of the year. Zelda is massively addicting. I have over 50 hours in it with no signs of slowing down. Whenever I feel like I'm nearly the end of the story I get distracted by the Master Sword quest, building a town or acquiring a luchador costume. This is a game that I'm going to be playing for a very long time and I want to try to beat the story so I can take a break for a while to play other stuff but there's always interesting new things popping up in news articles that I hear about and want to try. I spend nights with friends playing Rocket League and Halo Wars 2. There's a few games I need to rent from GameFly, there's the Games with Gold games I need to try out, I want to get to the new No Man's Sky content before the next update comes out. I'm in a mad dash to finish everything by the time Destiny 2 comes out because that will be taking up almost all of my gaming time. The only other game I might buy after Destiny 2 for the rest of the year could be Red Dead Redemption 2.

Just now, Mike said:

I'm actually happy that there isn't much coming out for the rest of the year. Zelda is massively addicting. I have over 50 hours in it with no signs of slowing down. Whenever I feel like I'm nearly the end of the story I get distracted by the Master Sword quest, building a town or acquiring a luchador costume. This is a game that I'm going to be playing for a very long time and I want to try to beat the story so I can take a break for a while to play other stuff but there's always interesting new things popping up in news articles that I hear about and want to try. I spend nights with friends playing Rocket League and Halo Wars 2. There's a few games I need to rent from GameFly, there's the Games with Gold games I need to try out, I want to get to the new No Man's Sky content before the next update comes out. I'm in a mad dash to finish everything by the time Destiny 2 comes out because that will be taking up almost all of my gaming time. The only other game I might buy after Destiny 2 for the rest of the year could be Red Dead Redemption 2.

Yeah not having a Switch is really boning me. Unfortunately of all things I could invest hundreds of dollars in, another gaming system just doesn't even register on the list. 

Thankfully Rainbow Six isn't showing any threat of getting old, especially with Ubisoft continuing to release new content for it, and I've actually been having a lot of fun with GTA. And Hitman is still doing elusive targets, and there's actually still a lot for me to do in that game when I'm in the right mood. 

GameFly reviews...

- Hitman: Sorry Ruiner, I didn't like this at all. I appreciated the creative ways you could go about getting things done but the robotic movement prevented me from really enjoying anything. I wasn't a fan of the stealth either. It seems like you basically just get disguise A to not get detected by group A and get disguise B to not get detected by group B. It wasn't my cup of tea.

- Resident Evil 7: I'm probably close to halfway through with the game according to a guide I just checked and that's a hell of a lot further than I thought I would get. The game is scary but it doesn't terrify the fuck out of you like P.T. did and you also don't have to tiptoe through the entire game like Alien: Isolation so that's a good thing. The story is very interesting and I like the item collection, crafting stuff and unlocking new areas. With that said, I don't think I'm going to beat the game. I almost quit at the stupid boss fight with the husband but I eventually beat it and just finished off the wife. It's a good game but this isn't the type of game I'm really into which is why I'm started to get sick of it. It shows how good the game is that I've put about four hours into a game from a genre that I never play.

- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare: I really had no interest in playing this but the space battles looked cool and I wanted to see Kit Harrington as the villain so I forced myself to give it a try. I blew through the whole campaign in a few days. I assumed Kit would have a bigger role like Kevin Spacey did in Advanced Warfare but he's barely in the game and mostly appears in videos and isn't seen in person much which was disappointing. The cutscenes and graphics are absolutely beautiful. This was the first nice looking COD game since COD 4. The space battles were kinda fun, some weapons and abilities were cool. Wall running was barely used (must have been included for MP) and the double jumping was pointless. It felt like a poor man's Titanfall. The characters are still forgettable COD characters but they were a lot more memorable than any non-MW characters. Story sucked. I liked how they introduced side missions. I like how the story, while sucky, was not confusing as fuck like those overrated Black Ops campaigns (and most other COD games). It followed the same person for mostly the whole game and you were with him step by step through it all. I don't hate COD but I'm sick of it. Unless they go back to World War II, I don't see myself playing a COD game ever again.

- Ori and the Blind Forest: The platforming requires you to be ridiculously precise at times. The combat was boring. I couldn't get into this game at all. I know it got really good reviews but I didn't care for it.

For some weird reason, Nintendo has decided to discontinue the NES Classic, even though it still sells out almost instantly and is still incredibly popular. The only reason I can think of is that they don't want it stealing the spotlight from Switch. But seeing as how Switch is selling like hotcakes and was the best selling console in March, I don't think they have to worry about it.

7 hours ago, Mike said:

GameFly reviews...

- Hitman: Sorry Ruiner, I didn't like this at all. I appreciated the creative ways you could go about getting things done but the robotic movement prevented me from really enjoying anything. I wasn't a fan of the stealth either. It seems like you basically just get disguise A to not get detected by group A and get disguise B to not get detected by group B. It wasn't my cup of tea.

This makes sense because it's a puzzle game with stealth elements more than anything. The appeal, to people who enjoy it, is in figuring out how to complete the mission, often creatively. 

Glad you enjoyed Resident Evil though. The first half is the best part of the game anyways. 

Destiny and Red Dead Redemption were the only games I was planning on getting this holiday season but I'm going to add Battlefront II to the list as well. I never played the old Battlefront games and I only played the beta for the new one. I liked it but never bought it. This one looks amazing. I love how you play as an Imperial and eventually transition to the First Order. That's so cool seeing the people on Endor watch the Death Star blow up from above. And new Star Wars is thankfully taking the Halo approach where everything is canon so this story isn't meaningless. I'm very intrigued to see more of the post-ROTJ events and with an Imperial as the star, I hope they can make the villains seem more real and less generically and unrelatably evil which in my opinion is a problem with Star Wars. Also, 24 player space battles...take my $60 now.

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

Destiny and Red Dead Redemption were the only games I was planning on getting this holiday season but I'm going to add Battlefront II to the list as well. I never played the old Battlefront games and I only played the beta for the new one. I liked it but never bought it. This one looks amazing. I love how you play as an Imperial and eventually transition to the First Order. That's so cool seeing the people on Endor watch the Death Star blow up from above. And new Star Wars is thankfully taking the Halo approach where everything is canon so this story isn't meaningless. I'm very intrigued to see more of the post-ROTJ events and with an Imperial as the star, I hope they can make the villains seem more real and less generically and unrelatably evil which in my opinion is a problem with Star Wars. Also, 24 player space battles...take my $60 now.

I hope the space battles are like the ones in the old Battlefront games where you can land your fighter in enemy stations and get out and into shootouts on foot. That spawning right into the fighter shit from Battlefront was weak. 

On 4/11/2017 at 5:01 PM, pen said:

I'm going to buy Yooka-Laylee with my next paycheck and enjoy some hot retro 3D platformer action.

So I've been spending some time with Yooka-Laylee and I've almost finished getting everything in the first world and I've started exploring the second and third. I've also expanded all three of them to their full size, and they're almost overwhelming with how much there is to explore and navigate in each world. Frankly, I'm having a blast and I can't imagine why reviews of this game have been so divisive.

I've been telling everyone I've talked to about this game that it is basically, for better or worse, Banjo-Kazooie. It's got a fresher coat of paint, but everything about the game, from the highs to the lows, screams Banjo-Kazooie. Camera's not perfect and some objectives get frustrating, but it's the good kind of pain in my book. I got exactly what I was expecting from the game and I couldn't be more satisfied.

So I figured out how emulation on my laptop with my Dualshock 4, and woo buddy, I am ready to rock this shit. Mario, Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, Zelda, all with the comfort of a controller, without the hassle of buying/keeping old consoles! What a great find that I just made, that certainly hasn't been widely known about and used for several years before now!

6 hours ago, Ruiner said:

So I figured out how emulation on my laptop with my Dualshock 4, and woo buddy, I am ready to rock this shit. Mario, Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, Zelda, all with the comfort of a controller, without the hassle of buying/keeping old consoles! What a great find that I just made, that certainly hasn't been widely known about and used for several years before now!

Heh. I remember when I first discovered emulators. Those were fun times. Especially when my mom bought me a Game Boy Advance and the emulator for it came out just a day after. Hooray for piracy!

In other news, I recently regained interest in emulation and found Gamecube and PS2 emulators that both seem splendiferous but my computer may not be powerful enough to run them properly, so sad days for Pen. 

15 minutes ago, pen said:

Heh. I remember when I first discovered emulators. Those were fun times. Especially when my mom bought me a Game Boy Advance and the emulator for it came out just a day after. Hooray for piracy!

In other news, I recently regained interest in emulation and found Gamecube and PS2 emulators that both seem splendiferous but my computer may not be powerful enough to run them properly, so sad days for Pen. 

I've definitely dabbled before but it was mostly Pokémon and some SNES stuff on Android in high school. It's pretty dramatically more exciting on a decent laptop with a controller, turning in a non-bastardized and even improved experience when accounting for the DS4 being a way better controller than the ones in the 90s.

6 hours ago, pen said:

I actually downloaded a PS2 emulator earlier and just tried out Here Comes the Pain on it, and it suuuuucks. It's like it's going in slow motion, and that's just the opening cutscene because I couldn't get the controller to work, and the settings were way too confusing for me to try and fix these problems.