Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EchoX860

Surgery Tomorrow

60 posts in this topic

I have a Pilonidal Cyst, and it makes it hard to move because of it's location. I usually sleep on my back, but I have to sleep on my side and during the night, I'll roll onto my back and it's like insta-pain. I feel so bad right now. I looked online at some of the pics after the surgery they do for it. HOLY SHIT.....scared out of my mind.

I just had this surgery in February. Trust me, it's worth it. I first got the cyst late last year and the thing burst (sorry for that visual), so I thought that was the end of it. But then it came back during a New Years Eve party and I scheduled the surgery, couldn't take anymore. Earliest they could see me was February.

I didn't have too much pain after the surgery, because the whole general area was very numb. Though, the staples are a bit annoying. Most painful part was getting the staples removed, but even that's nothing compared to the pain you're in right now.

I'm healed up now, with a small scar. I'm still kinda numb though near where it was, lol. Guess I'll just live with that.

Are you getting full on surgery to remove it or just getting it lanced? If you're doing surgery, I hope you've done your research into the different methods of surgery (they all have pros and cons, certain ones heal much better). http://www.pilonidal.org/ is a great site. I've dealt with it in the past (easily the most painful thing I've ever experienced), but still haven't gotten it excised (only lanced/drained).

Treatment Pages (Read All Of These): http://www.pilonidal.org/treatments_index.htm

<cite>EchoX860 - 8 minutes ago
 » 
</cite>

Phobia, describe to me everything.

and I mean EVERYTHING

I incyst that you get better info then that from Phobia/Necro...Or whoever he's calling himself today...

Had mine removed twice now. First time was at a clinic in a small town I was living in at the time. I went in for my appointment expecting to get a referral and the doc said he would remove it that day under local anesthtic. I had a hole the about 2 inches across and an inch deep in my tailbone region. I was stiff and a little sore (I didn't use the pain killers they gave me), but was still able to go golfing later that day. The worst part was unpacking the gauze the next day. The wound was to heal from the inside out but never really seemed to heal and the cyst came back. I went to a doc in Calgary and he referred me to a surgeon and finally got in for surgery in January. The surgeon used general anesthetic (I was out) and did a much better job this time around. He left a 'skin flap' instead of leaving an open gaping wound. I'm now healed up and happy! There is always a chance of the cyst coming back but at least I'm healed over and not 'leaking' like I was for 3 years.

Well let's see...

Mine was removed, so I was under general anesthesia...I don't remember much because I was out cold.

I couldn't lay down on the hospital bed correctly, they had to lay me on my side until the anesthesia knocked me out. I remember waking up and being put in a wheel chair, and when I got to the car I still laid on my side because I was still afraid of the pain I had been feeling before when laying on my back.

I still slept on my side for awhile though because there were about 10-15 staples in my back and I didn't want to mess anything up. A couple weeks went by and I went back to the doctor to get the staples removed.

Not gonna lie, that part sucked. I'm not a person that makes audible sounds when they're in pain, but the nurse looked at me after and said: "That didn't hurt? I've never seen someone that's had staples removed from that area and not complained or moaned or something." I responded with: "Don't worry, it hurt like heck."

But still, not as bad as the cyst itself.

It's healed up and I've had no issues in 3 months. The most annoying thing was that you have to keep the infected area clean. Like, I'm a fairly hairy dude, so I had to shave it regularly (you asked for EVERYTHING, lol). Nothing else really comes to mind.

If I can recommend a few things to help you out it would be:
1. Take a SITS bath after every bowel moement to keep the area clean. Should have at least 2 of these baths a day regardless to keep the wound clean.
2. Use feminine pads in your underwear rather then taping gauze onto your back. Tape hurts like a bitch to remove from a tender area like that, especially if you have any hair in the region.

<cite>bdog - 24 minutes ago
 » 
</cite>

If I can recommend a few things to help you out it would be:

1. Take a SITS bath after every bowel moement to keep the area clean. Should have at least 2 of these baths a day regardless to keep the wound clean.

2. Use feminine pads in your underwear rather then taping gauze onto your back. Tape hurts like a bitch to remove from a tender area like that, especially if you have any hair in the region.

Holy Mother of Boils....This has just taken a fatal turn....

I got mine removed two years ago and it SUCKED. The actually cyst never really hurt me but the healing process is terrible. They completely removed anything that was infected which ended up being like 2 inches deep and 3 inches wide. They left me to heal my would without any stitches or staples to avoid any further infection. They had me on a VAC: http://www.kci1.com/KCI1/vactherapy

And I got to say that getting the foam in and out of your flesh and them having to remove what is basically tape has got to be the most painful thing in the world. Kevin Nash (the wrestler) has had the machine put on him after getting a Staph Infection treated said it was the worst pain he has ever felt in his life.

Be prepared to smell really bad for the next year or so because there is gonna be drainage coming out of that thing all day till you fully heal.

Not trying to scare you, just prepare you.

This is starting to seem like a very normal thing, and now I'm worried I will eventually get one.

I'll be going to the doctors tomorrow, but I won't be getting any sort of surgery. I still get nervous going to hospitals though.

WTF are you guys doing to get these? Do you sit on your ass all day?

Im not sure how these things form. But it just seems weird that alot of you have had them

Although there are several theories, most researchers believe that pilonidal cysts are caused by the penetration of loose hairs into the skin. In response to this ingrown hair, a local inflammatory reaction causes a cyst to form around the hair. Excessive pressure or repetitive trauma to the sacrococcygeal area are thought to predispose individuals to develop the cyst or to irritate an already existing pilonidal cyst.

During World War II, more than 80,000 soldiers developed pilonidal cysts requiring hospitalization. Because so many of the afflicted servicemen rode in bumpy Jeeps for prolonged periods of time, the condition was termed "Jeep disease."

In addition to male gender, other risk factors for the development of pilonidal cysts include a family history of pilonidal cysts, occupations which require prolonged sitting, hirsute (hairy or having copious hair) individuals, and the presence of a deep natal cleft (the cleft between the buttocks). Obese individuals are more likely to experience a recurrence of pilonidal cysts.

So you are all some hairy mother fuckers eh?

Have you guys seen that video on youtube of that dude getting his lanced(they said it was a zit) on his back. LOL EEEEEW.

Hahaha....I'm not gonna lie to you guys, but this thread has to be one of the most disgusting things I have ever read...And I have read all of TunaLabia's posts...

<cite>EchoX860 - 2 hours ago
 » 
</cite>

Other risk factors for the development of pilonidal cysts include a family history of pilonidal cysts.

After telling my parents of all the pain I was in, my mom told me that two of her three brothers, her dad, and three of his four brothers all had this when they were around college-age. I went to Duke Hospital and told the doctor this and he said that it was probably coincidental that so many males in my family had it.

pfft.

<cite>flyfreak - 3 hours ago
</cite>

Wow! Jay needs to rename this place CystLab....

I totally don't think it's funny that you guys are in pain and keep having to have surgery.

However, this comment made me laugh pretty hard.