Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RainbowDragon

Breaking Benjamin vs Godsmack vs Shinedown

34 posts in this topic

So we just had 3 big active rock bands release albums all roughly around the same time. Lets take a look an analyze each,

Breaking Benjamin, clearly have no qualms about sounding exactly the same in 2018 as they did in 2002. Pros, the fans are happy and arent bitching. Cons. No musical growth, no financial growth.

Godsmack, wanted to go more radio friendly and lighter. Pros, Potentially more $$$ available, Cons, fans are bitching and since this genre doesn't cross over into pop anymore, why go that route ?

Shinedown, want to keep up with the times and be more experimental. Pros, could lead to more commercial success. Cons, fans are pissed and its a risk because no one knows if it will crossover or not. Looks like more lost old fans than new fans gained but that of course is debatable.

Verdict

Breaking Benjamin could very well have the "worse" album of the 3 but they win because they lose no fans and keep them happy. That matters a lot especially in these days.

Winner

1129556.jpg

11 minutes ago, pen said:

If Godsmack fans are bitching, they can fuck off.

To be fair, I only saw a small amount on FB that were complaining. More than BB fans probably though. Im sure we could find BB fans complaining about how they are still the same but I would guess its a low number. I mean these are all hard rock, borderline metal bands at their core and if anyone knows, fans of that genre seem to be less open minded imo.

I did see a comment from a douche complaining about how Godsmack sound like Shinedown now. Made me chuckle lol.

Again, this isnt about who made the best record, its a thread about the overall picture more or less. I crow BB the winner because they basically win the risk vs reward battle but feel free to disagree. I thought their album was kinda boring but again fans of the genre tend to not like change as I said. When money is tighter than ever in this industry its not a bad idea to not want to lose as much as possible but not changing.

17 minutes ago, RainbowDragon said:

Again, this isnt about who made the best record, its a thread about the overall picture more or less

If a band's goal is not the best record but the "overall picture" they've already lost. 

Youre talking about a genre of music with lots of close minded fans and losing those fans is very bad for business. Pop artists can do whatever the fuck they want and people still follow them religiously. Hip hop Im not sure cuz I dont follow it closely. Hard rock and metal fans seem to whine the most when it comes to change.

If this were the old days where a hard rock band could release a ballad and it would cross over then yeah thats a good move but those days seem to be gone.

Breaking Benjamin are still on a major label and Im very surprised they let them do whatever they want. Maybe behind the scenes they are pushing them to sound more "modern" but I havent heard Ben say anything about that.

DD, what is it that you want? Forget charts, sales, fanbases, big pictures, etc. Forget all that. What do you, DarkDragon, want?

I dont want anything. I just thought it could be an interesting discussion/debate. :unsure: Me personally, I prefer Godsmack's album of the 3 because it had the most songs that I want to listen to repeatedly. Granted I didnt listen to Shinedown much because it just came out but from what I heard it seems like sort of a mixed bag, like they are trying to appeal to different fan bases. We live in a social media era where people say whatever they want publically and if Breaking Benjamin gets the least amount of criticism from their fans then I call that a win.

I can’t really speak on the Shinedown album,  I’ve yet to fully listen.  Comparing Godsmack to Breaking Benjamin, I’d say I think Godsmack put out the better album.   

6 hours ago, RainbowDragon said:

I dont want anything. I just thought it could be an interesting discussion/debate. :unsure: Me personally, I prefer Godsmack's album of the 3 because it had the most songs that I want to listen to repeatedly. Granted I didnt listen to Shinedown much because it just came out but from what I heard it seems like sort of a mixed bag, like they are trying to appeal to different fan bases.

This part of your post is the part I care about. My point is it's better to just get an honest opinion from you instead of swimming in meaningless statistics. 

In the age of downloading music for free and rock no longer being part of mainstream radio, youtube views are the best way to determine popularity. Godsmack is in last with their two Bulletproof videos getting 4 million views in total since Feb. 28th, Shinedown has gotten 4 million views on Human Radio since Apr. 5th and 4.4 million views on Devil since March 7th, and BB has 9.3 milion views on RCR since Jan 18th. and 2.7 million views on Torn in Two since April 12th. Obviously concert sales would also be helpful for determining popularity, but I don't have access to that data.

I've lost all interest in Shinedown. They are worse than Nickleback to me at this point. They make these stupid cheesy songs and their look is even worse. When I took my gf to the FFDP, Shinedown, Sixx AM tour a year and a half ago she couldn't stand them because they just looked like a bunch of douchebags. I couldn't disagree. They turned their back on what made them unique and instead became everything that rock bands shouldn't be

11 hours ago, jmg05005_v2.0 said:

In the age of downloading music for free and rock no longer being part of mainstream radio, youtube views are the best way to determine popularity

Im not really sure. Concert ticket sales and streaming numbers are just as important. Merchandise sales and album sales not as much because of the bootlegging going on. I dont look at streaming numbers so I have no idea if they are typically in line with someone's yt views.

Thanks for this thread. The new Godsmack album wasn't bad at all and I wouldn't have given it a listen if not for this discussion. 

I really like the new Godsmack and I'm not usually a Godsmack fan.

The new BB is pretty dull.

New Shinedown hasn't gotten a full listen yet.

Where's 3DG in this discussion?

I like all three albums a lot but give Shinedown and Godsmack extra points for trying a little harder. BB had good songs but as Andrew just described it, it’s pretty dull when it feels like you’ve heard it all before. Shinedown and Godsmack were pleasant surprises, they had both gotten to the point where I didn’t get excited when they released new music and now they got me back on their bandwagon. 

On 5/5/2018 at 8:38 AM, It's Harty! RUN! said:

I've lost all interest in Shinedown. They are worse than Nickleback to me at this point. They make these stupid cheesy songs and their look is even worse. When I took my gf to the FFDP, Shinedown, Sixx AM tour a year and a half ago she couldn't stand them because they just looked like a bunch of douchebags. I couldn't disagree. They turned their back on what made them unique and instead became everything that rock bands shouldn't be

They were douchy in concert even when they were releasing their best stuff, that’s nothing new. 

As for cheesy songs, as much as I loved their new album I will give you that it is mostly cheese. But it probably comes down to the fact that Brent isn’t in a dark place anymore. Do you want him to fake angst? Then they’d sound ducking stupid like Three Days Grace does now. We gotta just be happy that bands like Shinedown, Blue October, etc. don’t have vocalists that want to kill themselves amymore.

13 minutes ago, Omar said:

They were douchy in concert even when they were releasing their best stuff, that’s nothing new. 

As for cheesy songs, as much as I loved their new album I will give you that it is mostly cheese. But it probably comes down to the fact that Brent isn’t in a dark place anymore. Do you want him to fake angst? Then they’d sound ducking stupid like Three Days Grace does now. We gotta just be happy that bands like Shinedown, Blue October, etc. don’t have vocalists that want to kill themselves amymore.

Was Shinedown ever really angsty in their prime years? There was maybe a hint of it, but they were a lot more mellow than most of their contemporaries as I recall it. It wasn't until Sound of Madness (which I maintain is the start of their downturn) that they started getting angsty, and it was really cheesy.

5 minutes ago, Ruiner II said:

Was Shinedown ever really angsty in their prime years? There was maybe a hint of it, but they were a lot more mellow than most of their contemporaries as I recall it. It wasn't until Sound of Madness (which I maintain is the start of their downturn) that they started getting angsty, and it was really cheesy.

Dude Leave a Whisper was super angsty, more so than SOM. 

17 minutes ago, Omar said:

Dude Leave a Whisper was super angsty, more so than SOM. 

There was definitely some angst on like Stranger Inside and No More Love, but compared with the other bands from that time period, like the two in this thread, Three Days Grace and the like?

51 minutes ago, Omar said:

This is an excellent point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy for Justin, but Blue October's music has been substantially worse since he got his shit together.

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy for Justin, but Blue October's music has been substantially worse since he got his shit together.

Well this is just substantially untrue.

There is definitely a correlation between good song writing and singer being down on life. Throw Papa Roach into that discussion as well

7 minutes ago, pen said:

Well this is just substantially untrue.

Sway was alright but I wasn't particularly impressed with Home and found some of it really cheesy.

Foiled through AMIA is the fucking sweet spot.

20 minutes ago, It's Harty! RUN! said:

There is definitely a correlation between good song writing and singer being down on life. Throw Papa Roach into that discussion as well

I think that's what separates the truly great songwriters from the pretty good ones (or the outright mediocre ones, in the case of most of the guys we're talking about here [IMO])