Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EchoX860

Breaking Benjamin - Ember

58 posts in this topic

I like this album. It's very consistent with nine heavy songs and a ballad. Highlights are "Red Cold River" and "The Dark of You". Much of the album was equally solid.

I was barely able to get through this thing. Everything I heard I have heard them do better before. Dark of You was a little bit different but it didnt leave enough of a lasting impression. I dont think Ill listen to this one over and over again.

Absolutely amazing album, I can't believe how great the last 2 albums have been. The flow and cohesiveness of the songs makes for a really pleasant listening experience. I'd say my favorites off this (after 1 listen) would be "Blood" (which I consider one of the best they've ever done), "Dark of You," "Psycho," "Save Yourself," and "Tourniquet." The Ben/Jasen/Aaron writing combo has been terrific (Keith/Shaun are still worthless though).

After hearing the album for a few times now, i have to give them credit for making such an amazing album! The whole album is FILLED with energy, and it sounds amazing :D I've been trying to like "Dark Of You" alot, but to me it's the weakest song on the album. On the other hand, i find "Save Yourself" to be one of the best tracks.

Did anyone see Ben doing the live facebook thing last night? Close Your Eyes was a Dark Before Dawn track apparently.

THE only negative thing here is the track list, it's TOO short :(

Jesus I couldn’t disagree more with the last two posts, it’s like Opposite Day.

I read yesterday that “Never Again” was the first and only song they worked on together on the last album. Had I known that my expectations would have been sky high because that’s one of my favorite BB songs ever. 

4 hours ago, 2ndkrueger said:

Did anyone see Ben doing the live facebook thing last night? Close Your Eyes was a Dark Before Dawn track apparently.

THE only negative thing here is the track list, it's TOO short :(

Yes, the FB live was very interesting. 

I do agree with you on the short track list. I believe the contract with their record label says that each album has to have at least 10 songs. I do think they're doing the minimum to meet that requirement, which is shitty if you ask me. Just as Ben said Close Your Eyes was supposed to be on DBD, I also think the next album will have at least one song from this recording session. It'd be nice if they just put more songs on the album (don't get me started on the intro/outros, they're a complete joke).

1 hour ago, Follow the Hollow said:

I just can’t get into it, all the songs just blend into each other.  They seem to be phoning it in. 

I wouldn't say phoning it in, I'd say they've found their sound. Which I'm ecstatic about it, as I've enjoyed these two so much. While my favorite songs are still from Saturate and WANA, I really like being able to listen to the last two albums all the way through; I couldn't do that with Phobia (skip Had Enough & You Fight Me) and Dear Agony (skip Give Me A Sign & Lights Out). 

Definitely like this more than Dark Before Dawn. It is more of the same which is what I was hoping it wouldn't be but I think the songs are stronger this time around, more stuff is hitting me like Phobia and the like. Probably won't crack my top 10 end of the year list though

6 hours ago, jmg05005_v2.0 said:

Yes, the FB live was very interesting. 

I do agree with you on the short track list. I believe the contract with their record label says that each album has to have at least 10 songs. I do think they're doing the minimum to meet that requirement, which is shitty if you ask me. Just as Ben said Close Your Eyes was supposed to be on DBD, I also think the next album will have at least one song from this recording session. It'd be nice if they just put more songs on the album (don't get me started on the intro/outros, they're a complete joke).

I wouldn't say phoning it in, I'd say they've found their sound. Which I'm ecstatic about it, as I've enjoyed these two so much. While my favorite songs are still from Saturate and WANA, I really like being able to listen to the last two albums all the way through; I couldn't do that with Phobia (skip Had Enough & You Fight Me) and Dear Agony (skip Give Me A Sign & Lights Out). 

I can’t source it but I believe Hollywood Records exercised a 2 album option after Dear Agony. Hopefully they’re free to sign with a new label or go out on their own after Ember. The current deal is extremely limiting. No more than 12 tracks and no more than 42 mins I believe. Idk I could b e completely wrong. 

3 hours ago, MU_BeastMode said:

I can’t source it but I believe Hollywood Records exercised a 2 album option after Dear Agony. Hopefully they’re free to sign with a new label or go out on their own after Ember. The current deal is extremely limiting. No more than 12 tracks and no more than 42 mins I believe. Idk I could b e completely wrong. 

Well frankly it’s dumb to complain about how limiting their label is considering Ben himself has limited himself to 10 songs and two bullshit intro/outros for the last handful of albums. Maybe we should be thanking their label for forcing them to have 12 songs so we can at least squeeze 10 legit ones out of Ben every album cycle.

4 hours ago, MU_BeastMode said:

If this was an "issue" I don't think we'd have an intro/outro for the last two albums. Even with a 42 minute limit, they could have fit in two more 3-4 minute songs on this album by taking out the intro/outro.

1 hour ago, Omar said:

Well frankly it’s dumb to complain about how limiting their label is considering Ben himself has limited himself to 10 songs and two bullshit intro/outros for the last handful of albums. Maybe we should be thanking their label for forcing them to have 12 songs so we can at least squeeze 10 legit ones out of Ben every album cycle.

Not sure what this means, unless you're of the mind that less songs = stronger quality. You seem to bash the 10 songs thing at first but then praise it later? I'm confused.

I LOVE this album by the way. I consider Breaking Benjamin one of my favorite bands, but I don't really re-listen to them that much just because there has been a lot of "same-y" sound from them after four albums. "Dark Before Dawn" was great originally because we got NEW stuff by them, and it was awesome to get stuff from them after all these years. But three years later and all I really come back to that album is "Hollow" and "Ashes of Eden" because they feel unique.

With the addition of the new members, their songs feel three-dimensional now. Or at least way more so than before. Everything has layers to it. I love the addition of way more screams in this album, and it just feels like they've developed a new sound, at least for this album. I wish they would experiment with a different tempo in their music from time-to-time, but if this is the direction they are going, I can't wait for future records to come.

Favorites: Blood, Feed The Wolf, Tourniquet, Torn in Two

34 minutes ago, pen said:

Not sure what this means, unless you're of the mind that less songs = stronger quality. You seem to bash the 10 songs thing at first but then praise it later? I'm confused.

Oh what I was saying is people can’t complain about the supposed “limit” their label places on them when Ben doesn’t even go up to their limit. So really we should be thankful of their label if this limit really exists because Ben seems to be fine doing the bare minimum and we might get an 8 song album out of them if they leave their label. 

I’ll take as many songs as they can throw at me, I don’t have a preference as long as it’s good.

I just don’t think people should be whining about these so called limits set by the label when Ben doesn’t even bother writing 12 songs to match the limit. 

8 hours ago, Omar said:

Oh what I was saying is people can’t complain about the supposed “limit” their label places on them when Ben doesn’t even go up to their limit. So really we should be thankful of their label if this limit really exists because Ben seems to be fine doing the bare minimum and we might get an 8 song album out of them if they leave their label. 

I just don’t think people should be whining about these so called limits set by the label when Ben doesn’t even bother writing 12 songs to match the limit. 

Not sure if this was directed toward me, but I completely agree with you and that's what I was complaining about in my original post. If there is a minimum of 10 songs, then that seems to be what Ben is writing toward and not an ounce more. Since the new line-up, he's very much taken a much more commercialized approach. The expensive (and worthless if you read people's reviews) meet and greets, the armed forces shout outs at every show, the lack of his singing on entire songs (it's absolutely ridiculous that Keith sings Sooner or Later). I have absolutely loved the last 2 albums and think they're they're better than the last 2 albums with the old lineup. But one thing has remained constant throughout the years, Ben is a self-absorbed asshole that's only in it for himself. 

8 hours ago, Omar said:

I’ll take as many songs as they can throw at me, I don’t have a preference as long as it’s good.

Assuming the limitations are true, wouldn't it be more the time limit than the song limit that would be restricting? Ember is a little over 38 minutes and if their cap is 42 minutes, that's not a lot of wiggle room to work with. I'm sure it makes more sense to write under the limit than to try to write a song that's short enough to cap it out.

16 hours ago, RainbowDragon said:

He's still not as good as Chad (and probably not as good as Jeremy), but Shaun's actually a really cool dude, glad I got to see this interview. Keith still sucks though, stop singing Sooner or Later.

1 hour ago, pen said:

Assuming the limitations are true, wouldn't it be more the time limit than the song limit that would be restricting? Ember is a little over 38 minutes and if their cap is 42 minutes, that's not a lot of wiggle room to work with. I'm sure it makes more sense to write under the limit than to try to write a song that's short enough to cap it out.

It doesn’t have to be 12 songs, if the 42 minute limit is also legit, you can squeeze in an 11th song. Alls I’m saying is we can’t complain about these “limits” the labels put on them if the band obviously doesn’t mind them. 

So I've had the weekend to listen to this album and it's awesome.  Out of the songs that hadn't been released pre-album drop, "Down" is my favorite, and might be top 3 on the album.  I cannot get into "The Dark of You" even though I want to.  I feel like BB has done the ballads 1,000x better before ("Dear Agony", "Ashes of Eden",  "Rain", etc.).  "Torn in Two" sounds like something straight off of Saturate or WANA.  It has a very "Blow Me Away" feel, but I think that the chorus goes on too long for my liking.

Overall the this is a great and solid album, but I wish there were a couple of more songs on it.  8/10 for me.  

9 hours ago, jmg05005_v2.0 said:

Keith still sucks though, stop singing Sooner or Later.

The youtube comments I saw, he got a lot of praise for singing lead vocals.

Very rough draft of my album rankings.

#1 Dear Agony
#3 Dark Before Dawn
#2 Phobia
#4 Ember
#5 Saturate
#6 We Are Not Alone 

11 hours ago, jmg05005_v2.0 said:

Keith still sucks though, stop singing Sooner or Later.

How dare you...Keith is great, and so was/is his band Copper

I really like Keith and loved Copper, but I think I’d be a little mad if I paid to see BB and someone other than Ben sang lead on an entire song.