Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BreakTheAgony87

Star Wars: The Last Jedi SPOILER discussion

57 posts in this topic

Also, Luke the best character?  Why are all your opinions so wrong?  He's easily third of the main three, and I'd confidently put Obi-Wan and Anakin's arcs over his as well.  Luke is fine but he desperately needed a movie like TLJ to actually put a good twist into his characterization and make him the truly great character he deserved to be.

This movie is being sabotaged by OT worship and it's just ridiculous.

11 hours ago, Mike said:

They took the best character in the franchise and totally changed him. Even Mark Hamill didn't approve as you could tell from every interview he's done for the past six months. Luke never gave up on his father, aka the Hitler of Star Wars, yet he gives up on his innocent young nephew and contemplates killing him. The Luke Skywalker from the OT would never do that. 

If Vader went into the Jedi Temple and killed all the padawans when Luke had been alive, I bet you Luke would do the same thing he did with Kylo.  

Luke's goal was to train a new generation of Jedi and he sensed Ben going to the dark side.  He didn't want another Sith and contemplated killing him to prevent that from happening.

And then let's not forget all of the weird things that can now be common in Star Wars, like dead people using the Force to interact with the environment and Force Skype conversations.

Because we never saw anything similar to that in the OT.  Obi-Wan telling Luke to "Let Go" when he is in the Death Star trench.  Or Luke's visions of Leia in Cloud City.  Hell even Anakin had force induced visions of his mother's capture by the Tusken Raiders.

*shrugs*

18 hours ago, Andrew said:

He's been giving his honest opinion for months and the big wigs must have told him to say that. It's like when a public figure says something controversial and then they come out a day later with the back-peddling. This diplomatic response doesn't negate everything he has been saying up to this point.

18 hours ago, Andrew said:

Also, Luke the best character?  Why are all your opinions so wrong?  He's easily third of the main three, and I'd confidently put Obi-Wan and Anakin's arcs over his as well.  Luke is fine but he desperately needed a movie like TLJ to actually put a good twist into his characterization and make him the truly great character he deserved to be.

This movie is being sabotaged by OT worship and it's just ridiculous.

As someone who hates the prequels, I'm surprised you enjoy two prequel characters arcs more than Luke's. And I don't see any OT worship. People had criticisms about The Force Awakens but didn't let their love of the originals get in the way of enjoying it. I didn't hear any complaints when the beloved Han Solo died.

7 hours ago, BreakTheAgony87 said:

Because we never saw anything similar to that in the OT.  Obi-Wan telling Luke to "Let Go" when he is in the Death Star trench.  Or Luke's visions of Leia in Cloud City.  Hell even Anakin had force induced visions of his mother's capture by the Tusken Raiders.

Yeah but that stuff wasn't full-blown FaceTime! They tend to introduce some new Force powers with each movie. I'm not opposed to that stuff. But when you have a whole theater laughing at Carrie Poppins and there's ridiculous nonsense like interplanetary decoys, Skype sessions and dead people interacting with the real world, it is goofy at best and messes up the franchise at worst.

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

He's been giving his honest opinion for months and the big wigs must have told him to say that. It's like when a public figure says something controversial and then they come out a day later with the back-peddling. This diplomatic response doesn't negate everything he has been saying up to this point.

As someone who hates the prequels, I'm surprised you enjoy two prequel characters arcs more than Luke's. And I don't see any OT worship. People had criticisms about The Force Awakens but didn't let their love of the originals get in the way of enjoying it. I didn't hear any complaints when the beloved Han Solo died.

Yeah but that stuff wasn't full-blown FaceTime! They tend to introduce some new Force powers with each movie. I'm not opposed to that stuff. But when you have a whole theater laughing at Carrie Poppins and there's ridiculous nonsense like interplanetary decoys, Skype sessions and dead people interacting with the real world, it is goofy at best and messes up the franchise at worst.

You may argue that the "Interplanetary decoy" was cheesy but the introduction of Force Projection, especially given the scale of how far Luke had to project that, was awesome and just proves how powerful of a Jedi he truly is.  Plus it was good enough to fool that pussy ass bitch Kylo.  

Yoda's force ghost creating lightning isn't that too far fetched either.  Obi-Wan, Yoda and likely now Luke are all one with the force in that they are part of the energy that all things are made up of.  The fact that they can create weather and other things seems reasonable to me.

I will agree with you on one thing, I did not like the whole Leia using the force in that capacity and thought that would have been a nice way of killing her off. 

14 hours ago, BreakTheAgony87 said:

I will agree with you on one thing, I did not like the whole Leia using the force in that capacity and thought that would have been a nice way of killing her off. 

I liked it in the sense that we never see Leia do anything Force related and it's nice to see her have some connection, even if it's an instinctual survival defense. I would argue it's no more farfetched than anything else we've seen the Force do.