Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris.

EPs or Full Lengths?

7 posts in this topic

Saw this question asked by Jesse Leach of Killswitch Engage on instagram, and I thought it would make for a good music discussion on here. His question was "In this day and age with people have such short attention spans, would you prefer bands put out EPs say every year, with 7-8 really good songs? Or would you rather they make a full length every two years, with 4-5 extra songs that never get played live or become singles? His point was that he's starting to feel that it sucks to work so hard to write songs that never get played live and fade into obscurity .

I said, while I don't mind a really solid EP that leaves you wanting more, I may never see some bands live, and I do it may only be once, so I would rather have that full record to listen to thousands of times over the span of an album cycle. 

Whats everyone else's thoughts?

Shorter full lengths (8,9, or 10 songs.) I never had a problem with EPs though a lot of times I overlook them.

Lots of young people dont know that in the pre cd era most albums had 8 or 9 songs. I realize that was a long time ago but cds were when people starting packing albums with 12, 13, 14, 15 tracks.

Case in point, Master of Puppets (8 tracks) Load (14 tracks) half of which are filler IMO.

Albums, preferably in the 50-70 minute range, though it's all dependent on the type of music and what the artist is going for. While I appreciate the convenience of EPs and certainly can enjoy them all the same, most of my favorite records tend to be more of the "opus" variety.