Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TaNbULL

Nothing More- 'The Stories We Tell Ourselves'

50 posts in this topic

I listened to this album all the way through and I believe the last song works just as well with a mother as with a father. The feels are strong with this one.

I also appreciate that Still In Love, instead of being clichéd and going for slow and sappy, sounds almost aggressive in execution. An interesting choice but offers better emotional catharsis.

So where does this stack up with the self titled for y'all? I wanna say I like this one a little more after like 10 listens but I can't decide if it's because it's more fresh in my mind or if I actually like it better. Time will tell.

Also why are we not talking about "Funny Little Creatures" yet, that song is fuckin awesome and has some of their best vocal melodies, verses and chorus

1 minute ago, xeph said:

So where does this stack up with the self titled for y'all? I wanna say I like this one a little more after like 10 listens but I can't decide if it's because it's more fresh in my mind or if I actually like it better. Time will tell.

Also why are we not talking about "Funny Little Creatures" yet, that song is fuckin awesome and has some of their best vocal melodies, verses and chorus

I'd literally have to listen to them back to back to probably make an accurate assessment.

I think there are too many interludes on this one and it breaks up the groove.  

I think their S/T was much catchier ("This Is The Time", "Friendly Fire", "If I Were", "Jenny", "Mr. MTV", "Here's to the Heartache") but I think this album has better overall songs.

I think that if "Fade In/Fade Out" were more acoustic, this album would blow their S/T out of the water.

I prefer the S/T more because as a whole it feels more complete, especially with the ocean vibe and Alan Watts clips used.  That said, I love this one too.

4 minutes ago, xeph said:

And I'm surprised that more people aren't talking about "Still In Love" and "Do You Really Want It".

4 hours ago, Jamie said:

I was thinking to myself "psh, y'all are being over dramatic about this 'Fade In/Fade Out' song; Nothing More is good and all, but they're not on the level of bands that make me cry or call my parents" 

*listens*

*starts crying harder than I have in years by the time of the first chorus*

*calls Dad at end of song with voice shaking to tell him I love him and appreciate everything he's done for me*

He has watched you fade in...

...you will watch him fade out.

When the grip leaves his hands...

I know you won't let him down!

1 hour ago, Koldes said:

He has watched you fade in...

...you will watch him fade out.

When the grip leaves his hands...

I know you won't let him down!

Don't get me going again! :P It took me awhile to compose myself again after that. Plus I don't wanna call him again at 12:49 AM local time or he's gonna start to really worry about me!

But it's powerful, potent stuff for sure. And universal. And as Pen points out, this applies to mothers and sons, fathers and daughters, and mothers and daughters too, even if it more directly hits the topic of fathers and sons.

3 hours ago, xeph said:

Funny Little Creatures is one of my favorites.  On my first listen it was the song that stuck out most to me.

The only song I have not been fond of has been 'Ripping Me Apart'. I can listen to the rest of the album straight through except that one most of the time.

10 hours ago, xeph said:

'Funny Little Creatures' is my second favorite on the album behind 'FadeIn/FadeOut.' As you said, the vocals on that song are absolutely incredible. 

As for how it stacks up with the S/T; I don't know. There is really only ONE song on this that I find myself skipping and it's 'Just Say When.' It breaks up the momentum of the album too much. The S/T I skipped 'First Punch' a lot, as well as 'If I Were' a lot. I like both songs fine, but they are weaker than the rest to me. 

15 hours ago, xeph said:

Definitely a good call out this and "Do You Really Want It" were standouts for me on my first listen. "Tunnels" was another one that I really enjoyed my first listen of as well. Only gone through the album once, but the interludes definitely break the album up a bit too much for my liking as others have mentioned, so I think the s/t is still stronger for me as a whole, but this is no slouch at all. I'll give it more spins and it may change my mind.

"Fade In; Fade Out" sure made it dusty in my car when I heard it the first time... I felt like Jonny's vocals almost break up even on that last word before the chorus kicks in due to the raw emotion.

"Who We Are" is one I'm really loving after more listens.  Great lyrics, awesome riffs at the bridge.  At the moment I'd rank it my second favorite on the album.  

Apparently they're going to release "Don't Stop" very soon with special guest vocals by Jacoby Shaddix! I'm excited to hear that one.

I still can't pick a winner between albums, but I think the big discrepancy on which songs we all fell in love first shows how diverse this album is and the wide appeal it can have to each person who listens. What I do know is that I HAVE to see them again soon. Still one of the best concerts I have ever been too.

15 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Apparently they're going to release "Don't Stop" very soon with special guest vocals by Jacoby Shaddix! I'm excited to hear that one.

That should be dope!

17 minutes ago, heldjc said:

I still can't pick a winner between albums, but I think the big discrepancy on which songs we all fell in love first shows how diverse this album is and the wide appeal it can have to each person who listens. What I do know is that I HAVE to see them again soon. Still one of the best concerts I have ever been too.

That should be dope!

Saw them on Sunday. Best show I've seen in like 9-10 years. Flying to Philly to see them in February. 

6 minutes ago, TaNbULL said:

Saw them on Sunday. Best show I've seen in like 9-10 years. Flying to Philly to see them in February. 

Their energy is CRAZY. Don't know how they can do it night in and night out

Just now, heldjc said:

Their energy is CRAZY. Don't know how they can do it night in and night out

They're young, and Jonny is in incredible shape. 

I'll probably catch them on their next tour, nowhere near me this time but thankfully they'll be in Chicago in Feb. They were great when I saw them with Periphery 2+ years ago. What a bizarre lineup that was....

I'm hoping to catch them in February as well. I haven't been to a concert in like five years. 

14 hours ago, xeph said:

I'll probably catch them on their next tour, nowhere near me this time but thankfully they'll be in Chicago in Feb. They were great when I saw them with Periphery 2+ years ago. What a bizarre lineup that was....

What the hell? Dude, Periphery and Nothing More on the same show? I would have loved that, as odd as it definitely sounds. 

Decent version with Jacoby. It fit okay into the song, but not too great. 

I think Johnny is anti-shirt. Like.. at all times. I guess if I had his physique I would be as well! 

1 hour ago, Koldes said:

Decent version with Jacoby. It fit okay into the song, but not too great. 

I think Johnny is anti-shirt. Like.. at all times. I guess if I had his physique I would be as well! 

Have you seen how much he moves and sweats?  No sense in wearing a shirt.