Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

It (the movie) SPOILER discussion

18 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

Spoilers in this thread without spoiler tags. You have been warned. If you read this thread without seeing the movie first...

Reveal hidden contents

...you'll float too.

I mean it's based on a classic novel so I think I'll live. 

I was happy with the movie. The characters weren't fleshed out a bunch (probably because there were so many of them) but they were all fairly likable and I rooted for them to survive. The story was pretty good but I hope in the sequel they explains the origins of Pennywise. There's weren't that many jump scares which was good and the movie was still pretty scary but it wasn't as scary as I was hoping it would be. Pennywise looked awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing how the story concludes when the sequel comes out in 2044 when I'm 57-years-old.

I don't know how the orgy scene played out in the book but going by the characters in the movie, it wouldn't have made a lick of sense. Stephen King must have been writing that with one hand in his pants.

One complaint I do have was that the bullies were insanely over-the-top. Like they were basically sociopaths running amok in this town. Fire blow torches, knives, randomly punching the hell out of people. It was ridiculous.

Oh and some fucking pieces of shit brought some two-year-old to the movie so I had to hear "goo goo gah gah" baby talk for two hours. I wish to god an Alamo Drafthouse was in my area.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I hope in the sequel they explains the origins of Pennywise

It kind of concerns me that this movie apparently didn't make clear why this is incredibly unlikely, and would in many ways defeat the whole concept of It.

1 hour ago, Ruiner said:

It kind of concerns me that this movie apparently didn't make clear why this is incredibly unlikely, and would in many ways defeat the whole concept of It.

They explained the origins of the town they live in. They said 90 people signed the deed to make it an official town and then they all died. A drawing of the event shows Pennywise there (as seen in the trailers). I'm not what any of that meant. The only other thing they explained is that he comes back every 27 years. We don't know what he really is, where he came from, why he targets kids. The trailers even showed evil adults (like the menacing looking pharmacist with glasses) but in the movie he was perfectly normal so that just adds to the confusion.

4 hours ago, Mike said:

They explained the origins of the town they live in. They said 90 people signed the deed to make it an official town and then they all died. A drawing of the event shows Pennywise there (as seen in the trailers). I'm not what any of that meant. The only other thing they explained is that he comes back every 27 years. We don't know what he really is, where he came from, why he targets kids. The trailers even showed evil adults (like the menacing looking pharmacist with glasses) but in the movie he was perfectly normal so that just adds to the confusion.

I suppose the sequel will get into this a bit, but the whole idea of It is that It is an otherworldly force that can't be comprehended by people. There's a bit of lore about this other dimension in other King works, but nothing that would be explained to mere small town people being hunted by It. 

I'm planning on seeing the movie, so I'll be able to better understand how things work in this adaptation, but my dumb Moviepass hasn't come in the mail yet so I'm waiting on that before I spend any money. 

Ruiner already touched on this but I wanted to add my two cents: It is basically a cosmic horror being. It comes from "outside". It cannot comprehend good, it does not understand evil. All it does is feed. It uses children because it's easier to plug into a child's fears, but It certainly doesn't stop at children and is the cause of a massive amount of destructive incidents in Derry's history. It's a cancer.

I'll admit I looked up a little of what this adaptation entails and it saddens me a bit that it doesn't look like they have the Smoke Hole in this movie. Basically the kids perform this ritual where they dig a hole in the ground and fill it with smoke to have visions, and they see It crashing into the earth in primordial times like Lavos from Chrono Trigger or like some distant asteroid.

It's a scene that basically demonstrates just how far outside their understanding It is, and how massive of an undertaking it will be to defeat something like that, that lived for so long feeding off the world.

I'm also assuming the movie doesn't include It's cosmic counterpart, the Turtle. I'm guessing that would be way too complicated and offputting for an audience seeking a traditional horror movie, but it's a shame because it's such an interesting concept.

Then again, maybe they can include some of this in Part II...

6 hours ago, Mike said:

The trailers even showed evil adults (like the menacing looking pharmacist with glasses) but in the movie he was perfectly normal so that just adds to the confusion.

Also to add to this, in the book the implication is that It seeds itself into the minds of adults, to amplify their darker thoughts and feelings and influence them. Best example I can think of is Beverly's dad, who is an abusive asshole most of the time but really goes off the rails towards the end of the children's half of the story because It has started cranking him up to 11. There are also parts where the children call out for help or look for help and adults ignore them or leave the scene, and that's It at work too. Goes back to what I said about It being a cancer. It's a darkness that permeates the minds of the susceptible.

24 minutes ago, pen said:

Also to add to this, in the book the implication is that It seeds itself into the minds of adults, to amplify their darker thoughts and feelings and influence them. Best example I can think of is Beverly's dad, who is an abusive asshole most of the time but really goes off the rails towards the end of the children's half of the story because It has started cranking him up to 11. There are also parts where the children call out for help or look for help and adults ignore them or leave the scene, and that's It at work too.

I'm glad you said all this because it answers something else I was curious about. In the movie (and in the trailers) you see a kid getting beat up and when a car drives by they keep going like they don't care and then you see a balloon in the back of the car.

1 hour ago, pen said:

they see It crashing into the earth in primordial time

That's really interesting. I had just assumed It was a demon or something predictable like that. It's interesting that It is an alien and one that has been on this planet for so long. Not knowing where it came from makes things even scarier but as for the movie, I think it needed just a little bit more of an explanation. It kinda sucks because I want to look more into stuff from the book but I'll probably avoid it because I don't want to be spoiled on the next movie. Thank god Game of Thrones has passed the book so I don't have to worry about that anymore with that show.

Responding to Ruiner's post in this thread and not the movie one so I don't spoil the movie there.

Because It only shows up every 27 years and it would be difficult to change the time period with each movie, I hope that discourages the movie studio from turning this into some giant franchise with a million unnecessary prequels and sequels.

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

Responding to Ruiner's post in this thread and not the movie one so I don't spoil the movie there.

Because It only shows up every 27 years and it would be difficult to change the time period with each movie, I hope that discourages the movie studio from turning this into some giant franchise with a million unnecessary prequels and sequels.

That, and, again, it's based on a classic novel that had no sequels. I think a much safer bet is that we'll see more clowns in horror movies, which there has actually been a baffling lack of in the past. Same thing with dinosaurs in video games. It's like, there's this gold mine here and nobody's touching it! 

Just now, Ruiner said:

I think a much safer bet is that we'll see more clowns in horror movies, which there has actually been a baffling lack of in the past. Same thing with dinosaurs in video games. It's like, there's this gold mine here and nobody's touching it! 

Speaking of, I've always been surprised there's never been another movie like Jingle All The Way. It seems like every year there's some hot new item that people want and it's surprising that there's been no other movie based on that very common topic.

Also, I don't think it would be accurate to call It an alien because it's not like some creature from space. It... transcends dimensions, space-time physics as humans understand them. One of the scariest elements of it, to me, is the "deadlights"--It's true form, some vague bright orange light that a human can't look at without being immediately driven insane. The scariest of It to me is more in that psychological and philosophical aspect of it, rather than the manifestations it takes to scare its prey (Pennywise, etc) 

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Speaking of, I've always been surprised there's never been another movie like Jingle All The Way. It seems like every year there's some hot new item that people want and it's surprising that there's been no other movie based on that very common topic.

I think that's specific enough that I can see why you'd stay away from it, because it'd be looked at as a Jingle All the Way knockoff. Dinosaurs, on the other hand, can be done a million different ways and none of them are even attempted. A survival horror game acting as kind of a cross between Alien: Isolation and Far Cry where you're in a jungle or reclaimed by nature facility or something where there's dinosaurs roaming the land. Big ones like the T-Rex you'd have no choice but to run and hide from, forcing you into dark buildings where there are supplies and shelter, but also the risk of having to engage smaller velociraptors. You'd have to be on guard all the time, checking behind you when you think you hear something, feeling hunted. 

I know I went on a total tangent there, but this has actually really been bugging me lately. I wish I could just make a game like this myself. 

50 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

I know I went on a total tangent there, but this has actually really been bugging me lately. I wish I could just make a game like this myself. 

I just want a new Dino Crisis.

1 minute ago, pen said:

I just want a new Dino Crisis.

The thought did occur to me that the best hope for my fantasy may in fact be a RE7-style Dino Crisis reboot, but I believe a Capcom guy said earlier this year that it's not in any plans for the foreseeable future. Like Resident Evil, I'd probably temper my expectations if one ever did get announced, but a good new Dino Crisis would be an instant buy for me. It's actually the first really good video game I remember owning and getting engrossed in, so there's a special nostalgia for me.

4 hours ago, Ruiner said:

but a good new Dino Crisis would be an instant buy for me. It's actually the first really good video game I remember owning and getting engrossed in, so there's a special nostalgia for me.

I remember all 3 games playing very differently which isnt a common thing. I didt get to play part 3 because I didnt have an X-Box, and I still liked part 2 even though it was different from the first.

I'm excited because I just read the director of this movie totally wants to get into the weirder dimensional aspects of It in the sequel. We may still get the Turtle!