Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

WWE SummerSlam

54 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

1. Yeah and that was one of the worst Mania main events ever.

2. In fact I'd say 2000 was one of his best years.

1. I remember two things about that match...it wasn't the main event but it foolishly went on last and that night was also the hottest Stephanie has ever looked. And of course the match sucked, Triple H chokes under the pressure of WrestleMania. It's amazing that a guy who has probably had 20 WM matches has had so few great WM matches.

2. 2000 is definitely my favorite year for Triple H. It was one of the only times where I feel like he deserved to be in the spot he was given and wasn't just super-pushed there because he was married to Stephanie. And it's also one of the only times where his character wasn't extremely boring.

Just now, Mike said:

1. I remember two things about that match...it wasn't the main event but it foolishly went on last and that night was also the hottest Stephanie has ever looked. And of course the match sucked, Triple H chokes under the pressure of WrestleMania. It's amazing that a guy who has probably had 20 WM matches has had so few great WM matches.

Yeah Triple H at WM is legendarily bad, in fact it's a huge blemish on a guy who likes to pride himself as one of WWE's biggest stars ever.  Granted, he was in one of the five best WWE matches EVER with HBK and Benoit, but it's a pretty clear outlier on his resume.  Outside of that he's got three all time duds, against Jericho, Orton, and Reigns (all good workers with good WM matches under their belt), only one of his three matches with Taker is worth watching, plus he's got that classic Booker T burial in there, and some boring shit with Sheamus and Lesnar.

Shoutout to his Bryan and Cena matches which are both quite good but he's had a lot of straight up BAD Mania performances, and there's not many WWE legends you can say that about.

Looking back at Triple H's WrestleMania matches, the only ones I remember liking, ranked below...

1. Daniel Bryan
2. Chris Benoit & Shawn Michaels
3. Undertaker III
4. Sheamus
5. Sting
6. Brock Lesnar

Some of those matches I haven't seen in a long time so my list might not be entirely representative of how I feel. I watched the HHH/Taker match from WM17 a few years ago and I didn't like it nearly as much as I remember liking it. It was like 80% brawling in the crowd which is the boringest fucking thing in all of wrestling. And of course their second WM match is one of the most overrated matches ever. I don't think I've seen any of his matches before WM17 so I can't comment on those. I was into WWE in 2000 but I didn't order that WM and I don't think I've ever seen that fatal four-way match.

Yeah that match with Orton was super disappointing because the build-up leading up to the match was outstanding. Orton handcuffing Triple H to the ropes while he RKO'd Stephanie and then kissed her while looking at Triple H was the #1 all-time most awesome Randy Orton moment. The brawl in Orton's house was pretty cool too.

Oh yeah, dunno how I forgot that shitshow against Sting.  Another black mark.

Though to Hunter's credit it's mostly bad because of overbooked schlock and not really his performance.

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

Oh yeah, dunno how I forgot that shitshow against Sting.  Another black mark.

Though to Hunter's credit it's mostly bad because of overbooked schlock and not really his performance.

I thought the match was good but the wrong man won. 

One negative from last night: JR was horrible on commentary. It was unfortunate to hurt the Itami match with it, and confusing since he was great in Chicago for the Bate/Dunne match. It legit sounded like video game commentary. 

36 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

One negative from last night: JR was horrible on commentary. It was unfortunate to hurt the Itami match with it, and confusing since he was great in Chicago for the Bate/Dunne match. It legit sounded like video game commentary. 

From the little bit I saw of the end of the show, your boy Nigel sounded pretty bad himself. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

From the little bit I saw of the end of the show, your boy Nigel sounded pretty bad himself. 

Nah, Nigel's good. Not "my boy" though, just a guy who is generally agreed upon as a solid commentator.

I'm willing to eat crow on Corbin, he's made nothing of his push and he can't even get heat against John Cena anymore.  They handled the MITB stuff poorly but I think it's the right time to depush him and hope the lowcard motivates him to improve his stuff.

31 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I'm willing to eat crow on Corbin, he's made nothing of his push and he can't even get heat against John Cena anymore.  They handled the MITB stuff poorly but I think it's the right time to depush him and hope the lowcard motivates him to improve his stuff.

Yeah that's where I'm at with him as well. I was a fan on the condition that he would get better with time, but he's gotten worse.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

I see the smark hive mind had a meeting on the forums and decided they didn't like Bayley anymore.

don't count me in on that crowd that ever cared for her

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

I see the smark hive mind had a meeting on the forums and decided they didn't like Bayley anymore.

Maybe it's just cause she's been booked like absolute shit since she got called up so she's no longer an endearing and empathetic babyface.

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Maybe it's just cause she's been booked like absolute shit since she got called up so she's no longer an endearing and empathetic babyface.

nah, fam. she's been pretty bad

Just now, Nixon said:

nah, fam. she's been pretty bad

Well she's also been bad, yes, but everyone's bad right now.  There's no place for workrate in 2017 WWE.

Yes I skimmed the results and I'm very happy to see that I elected to skip this. I may tune in for the world title matches but maybe not.

Also I'd say Bayley beats Sandow, Ziggler, and Wyatt for biggest booking disaster in modern WWE history--and a shame, because she's better and had a higher ceiling than all of them. She sounded totally defeated on Austin's podcast, like she almost hopes they'll turn her heel just so she can get a fresh start. I'm horrified to see how they'll ruin Asuka.

this main event is MOTN so far

Just wanna say...Rollins in red and black.....

....Reigns....in red....and black....

I watched the end of the WWE title match, what a total farce. They can't even come up with decent fucking finishes for shitty Jinder to retain with. It feels like WWE actively trolling its audience, especially with the obnoxious "shocked upset fan" shots they keep cutting to.

I was playing a video game during the main event but what I saw of it looked pretty rad.