Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

WWE SummerSlam

54 posts in this topic

20170811_SSLAM_4Way_TuneIn_thissunday--8

 

WWE Universal Championship
Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman vs. Samoa Joe

WWE Championship
Jinder Mahal vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

WWE United States Championship
 AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens

WWE Raw Tag Team Championship
Sheamus & Cesaro vs. Dean Ambrose & Seth Rollins

John Cena vs. Baron Corbin

Randy Orton vs. Rusev

Big Show vs. Big Cass

Finn Balor vs. Bray Wyatt

WWE Raw Women’s Championship
Alexa Bliss vs. Sasha Banks

WWE SmackDown Women’s Championship
Naomi vs. Natalya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This card is very week for a SummerSlam PPV and that no doubt has to do with the fact that this appears to be the first of the big two PPVs that I can recall that doesn't feature any Attitude Era guys. This card is like a regular old Raw PPV and SD PPV merged into one. The main event is one of my most anticipated matches of the year but I have very little interest in anything else. This show really could've used that rumored Kurt Angle vs. Triple H match.

- WWE Universal Championship: The arena where Raw is taking place next week deleted a tweet announcing that Brock will appear so that pretty much spoils the finish. Not sure why every single Brock Lesnar appearance needs to be advertised in advance. I'm picking Brock but I was probably picking him anyways. I think he'll probably lose the title at the September PPV.

- WWE Championship: No MITB cash-in looming changes the whole dynamic of this match. I'm picking Nakamura. Even if he wins, it feels very rushed. I'll be happy he takes the belt from Jinder but I won't be as excited as I would've been if he was built up for months before taking the title.

- WWE U.S. Title: I can't believe these two have been feuding since after WrestleMania. I am so sick of it. KO has been so boring since he won the Universal title last year. I'm picking AJ. The finish will probably lead into KO vs. Shane.

- WWE Raw Tag Team Championship: While Ambrose turning on Rollins at the PPV or Raw the next night makes the most sense, I don't see WWE doing it just yet. I'm picking Ambrose and Rollins.

- The rest: WWE should be booking John Cena like they do with Attitude Era guys. If he's going to be here briefly, they should use that time by having him in high-profile matches against main eventers. I'm picking Cena in that match. Going with Orton, although Rusev needs the win. Going with Big Cass, Balor, Sasha and Naomi. I think Carmella will probably cash-in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mike said:

This card is very week for a SummerSlam PPV and that no doubt has to do with the fact that this appears to be the first of the big two PPVs that I can recall that doesn't feature any Attitude Era guys. This card is like a regular old Raw PPV and SD PPV merged into one. The main event is one of my most anticipated matches of the year but I have very little interest in anything else. This show really could've used that rumored Kurt Angle vs. Triple H match.

- WWE Universal Championship: The arena where Raw is taking place next week deleted a tweet announcing that Brock will appear so that pretty much spoils the finish. Not sure why every single Brock Lesnar appearance needs to be advertised in advance. I'm picking Brock but I was probably picking him anyways. I think he'll probably lose the title at the September PPV.

- WWE Championship: No MITB cash-in looming changes the whole dynamic of this match. I'm picking Nakamura. Even if he wins, it feels very rushed. I'll be happy he takes the belt from Jinder but I won't be as excited as I would've been if he was built up for months before taking the title.

- WWE U.S. Title: I can't believe these two have been feuding since after WrestleMania. I am so sick of it. KO has been so boring since he won the Universal title last year. I'm picking AJ. The finish will probably lead into KO vs. Shane.

- WWE Raw Tag Team Championship: While Ambrose turning on Rollins at the PPV or Raw the next night makes the most sense, I don't see WWE doing it just yet. I'm picking Ambrose and Rollins.

- The rest: WWE should be booking John Cena like they do with Attitude Era guys. If he's going to be here briefly, they should use that time by having him in high-profile matches against main eventers. I'm picking Cena in that match. Going with Orton, although Rusev needs the win. Going with Big Cass, Balor, Sasha and Naomi. I think Carmella will probably cash-in.

They're definitely not turning the Ambrose on Rollins anytime soon. They're going to get Reigns back and have a full Shield reunion before they ever even think about doing that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nixon said:

They're definitely not turning the Ambrose on Rollins anytime soon. They're going to get Reigns back and have a full Shield reunion before they ever even think about doing that.

I'm going on the opposing theory here. Anything involving Reigns will be a random Raw main event at most. May the better man win! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's more likely they turn Ambrose on Rollins than a full on Shield reunion but I'm better neither happens. Expect 50 matches between Ambrose/Rollins vs Cesaro/Sheamus from now until the Royal Rumble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nixon said:

They're going to get Reigns back and have a full Shield reunion

A Shield reunion would be such a step back for Reigns. I don't see a reunion happening anytime soon.

The Shield were awesome and it'd be nice for a group to just end like Evolution did and not get revived a bunch of times. I hope they never reform. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mike said:

A Shield reunion would be such a step back for Reigns. I don't see a reunion happening anytime soon.

The Shield were awesome and it'd be nice for a group to just end like Evolution did and not get revived a bunch of times. I hope they never reform. 

Probably not the BEST example to use in Evolution, because their two matches with the Shield were better than anything they ever did the first time around, even if it lacked the "past, present, and future" dynamic that made them memorable. 

But I agree, not into a Shield reunion. All three guys have been terribly misused as singles stars but that doesn't mean throwing in the towel and making them a group again is the right call. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ruiner said:

All three guys have been terribly misused as singles stars

I agree and disagree with this. Rollins was used well right when he first turned on Ambrose and Reigns. When he returned from his injury is when they started messing him up. He should've been a face but they made him heel and then they quickly turned him face and it didn't really work and it took a long time for him to truly get over as a face. Kinda reminded me of when Evolution turned on Orton and he was a face all of a sudden and the crowd didn't buy into it.

Back in the day there were a ton of funny people in WWE...Santino before WWE ruined him when they went PG, Kurt Angle, Edge and Christian, The Rock and plenty of others. Nowadays Dean Ambrose is probably the only one in WWE outside of Corey Graves who can make me laugh and I give him credit for that because WWE's humor sucks now. But I still feel like he has been used poorly. His character should be more like Stone Cold.

I didn't see it at first but Reigns has been used perfectly. If they officially turned him heel, the smarks would start cheering him. His face/heel level is right where it belongs. He's a good guy for the people who like him and he's simultaneously a bad guy for the people who don't. I wouldn't change a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got McIntyre, Moon, Black, Gargano, and AoP tonight. Think Almas and Sanity are coming up soon. Asuka... might, I just really don't see where she fits in the shitshow of main roster women's divisions. After her run in NXT, who the hell wants to watch Asuka vs Carmella or Alexa Bliss or Naomi? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trips putting on a booking masterclass, two matches in. That Sanity/AoP match was SO much better than it had any right being, and got everybody involved more over, and ReDRAGON! Terrific. Also, wonderful opener with a good and unexpected finish. Let's push Almas, he's clicking now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Nixon said:

That was one of the better NXT shows in a LOOOOOOONG time

It wasn't quite as good as the most recent one in Chicago, but that's a very high bar to clear. Together, both shows are easily the best NXT's put on possibly ever--only one I'd put above either is R-Evolution and maybe the first Brooklyn.

First match was awesome, second match was a blast, third and fourth matches were awesome, main event was pretty good, and an exciting debut. If you add Roddy to that main event like they should've (it's really bewildering they'd swing and miss on that so hard when they nailed every little detail on every other part of the show) I think it'd be a perfect wrestling show. Even as is, there's not really a shot in hell that six hour slog of a Summerslam card tops it, even though I think the Raw tag match and main event could maybe be match of the weekend.

What's your MOTN? I've seen four different matches get the honors depending on the person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just concerned about Drew. NXT's biggest blind spot for a while has been bland top babyfaces (ever since Sami left, really), and Drew doesn't have the charisma of Nakamura to pull it off, so I really hope they find a way to get him properly over at the next tapings if he's going to be feuding with Cole. He obviously has the tools, but I'd still be thinking about turning him heel if it weren't for that clearly not being the direction now. If he's going to stay face, they really should at least give him his old music back. The bagpipe-accompanied sludge metal theme is neat, but it's a horrible babyface entrance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MOTN - Asuka/Moon

 

the entire card was great, with the main event being the worst match of the night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nixon said:

MOTN - Asuka/Moon

 

the entire card was great, with the main event being the worst match of the night

opener a close 2nd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm torn between the opener and Itami/Black, but Asuka/Moon could also be it with another watch. Really competitive field. 

I thought the main event was very well worked but fell flat with the crowd, so I'm not sure. I mean, mechanically, it was probably better than the tag match, but the tag match had so much more excitement. 

Adam Cole instantly felt like he belonged. I was pretty high on him a few years ago when he was feuding with Elgin but he'd kind of fallen off my radar as I stopped paying attention to ROH. When he took his jacket off, I was instantly reminded of why I liked him. Dude has swagger. 

Also, I share Uncle Paul's love of live bands accompanying entrances, though I'm not sure a hardcore punk band was a great fit for a giant seated arena of people who'd never heard of them. Still, I appreciate that NXT gets actual good music for the Takeover shows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ruiner said:

Think Almas and Sanity are coming up soon.

I'll pass.

2 hours ago, Ruiner said:

Now for the main event... 2002 Triple H vs 2015 Triple H. 

I hope you're referring to Roode as the more exciting 2002 version of Triple H and McIntyre as the 2015 Triple H.

I'm not surprised Asuka won. It wouldn't make any sense for WWE to waste her undefeated streak on opponents that aren't worthy of beating her. That would've been like WWE having Sheamus break Undertaker's streak or something. I think she is going to leave NXT undefeated, forfeit the title and they can hype her up on the main roster as having never lost in NXT.

I feel like Asuka could be needed on Raw. I don't see where Roode goes from here though. The WWE roster is stacked. I don't see where he'd fit in although I imagine he'd go to SD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

2002 was maybe the worst year of Triple H's career, lol

It wasn't that bad. He had the crappy face run but he did main event WrestleMania and he had the unsanctioned match with HBK. I'm assuming Ruiner mentioned 2002 Triple H instead of 2000 Triple H because he wasn't around for 2000 Triple H.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mike said:

I'll pass.

I hope you're referring to Roode as the more exciting 2002 version of Triple H and McIntyre as the 2015 Triple H.

I'm not surprised Asuka won. It wouldn't make any sense for WWE to waste her undefeated streak on opponents that aren't worthy of beating her. That would've been like WWE having Sheamus break Undertaker's streak or something. I think she is going to leave NXT undefeated, forfeit the title and they can hype her up on the main roster as having never lost in NXT.

I feel like Asuka could be needed on Raw. I don't see where Roode goes from here though. The WWE roster is stacked. I don't see where he'd fit in although I imagine he'd go to SD.

1. Well it doesn't seem either are coming up right now anyway but what exactly is so great on Raw or Smackdown that they couldn't use a midcard tag team or an outstanding worker with charisma and a super hot valet? 

2. No, in this analogy McIntyre is long-haired brooding not terribly interesting H and Roode is smarmy short-haired rich H. And at the end of the match, 1998 H showed up with DX. (these are all jokes, just so we're clear) 

3. Oh I'm very happy Asuka won. I'd have her beat Ruby Riot in her next defense on NXT TV, and then drop to MYC winner Kairi Sane at the November Takeover. Moving her up to the main roster undefeated sounds great in theory, but the reality is I don't have it in me to be this invested in something great only for it to "pay off" on a random episode of Raw two weeks before a PPV for no reason. I want all great things that begin in NXT to conclude in NXT, where it'll be satisfying, unlike a million meaningless Zayn/Owens TV matches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mike said:

It wasn't that bad. He had the crappy face run but he did main event WrestleMania and he had the unsanctioned match with HBK. I'm assuming Ruiner mentioned 2002 Triple H instead of 2000 Triple H because he wasn't around for 2000 Triple H.

Yeah and that was one of the worst Mania main events ever.  Jericho was on one of the hottest streaks of his career in terms of quality matches and Trips managed to tank him in back to back matches.  He also had shit feuds/matches with RVD and Kane and closed out the year by somehow pulling an atrocious three match set out of Shawn Michaels.  Their Summerslam classic is the only part of 2002 that isn't a total blight.

Granted his 2003 was also legendarily bad, but Trips was much better in 2000 by contrast.  In fact I'd say 2000 was one of his best years.  Arguably the best Iron Man match of all time with The Rock, super underrated match with Benoit at No Mercy, his amazing series with Foley at the start of the year, and much better matches with Jericho than in 02.  Not to mention his character was much fresher then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mike said:

It wasn't that bad. He had the crappy face run but he did main event WrestleMania and he had the unsanctioned match with HBK. I'm assuming Ruiner mentioned 2002 Triple H instead of 2000 Triple H because he wasn't around for 2000 Triple H.

Dude Triple H vs Cactus Jack is the program that made me fall in love with wrestling as a wee kid. I compared McIntyre to 2002 Triple H because he's a lame brooding miscast babyface. This is purely from a character standpoint, as McIntyre is a way better worker than 2002 Triple H. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.