Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NinjaNick101

Hundred Suns - 'The Prestaliis'

13 posts in this topic

Y'all need to check this out immediately. One of the best hard rock records of the last few years at least. Any fan of Deftones/Chevelle/10 Years/Red should be super into this (looking at you @Koldes! and yes there is variety)

5 hours ago, xeph said:

Y'all need to check this out immediately. One of the best hard rock records of the last few years at least. Any fan of Deftones/Chevelle/10 Years/Red should be super into this (looking at you @Koldes! and yes there is variety)

You had me at the word variety!

Okay, well, that was the last word you said, but you had me with it. 

Shooting it to the top of the queue, I need some hard rock and I need some variety. Thanks man! 

20 hours ago, xeph said:

Any fan of Deftones/Chevelle/10 Years/Red

I listened to some of this last night based on this and I'm going to be honest, while I see why some of these comparisons were made, I went into this album with certain expectations based on these comparisons and found my expectations were not met.

That isn't to say what I heard wasn't enjoyable on some level, but I think the only band of these four that this band is the most like is 10 Years, but I found myself comparing them more to a band like Demon Hunter than anything else. They're heavy, they have melodic and progressive tendencies, but they're not so radio friendly that I could see them getting airplay on Active Rock.

25 minutes ago, pen said:

I listened to some of this last night based on this and I'm going to be honest, while I see why some of these comparisons were made, I went into this album with certain expectations based on these comparisons and found my expectations were not met.

That isn't to say what I heard wasn't enjoyable on some level, but I think the only band of these four that this band is the most like is 10 Years, but I found myself comparing them more to a band like Demon Hunter than anything else. They're heavy, they have melodic and progressive tendencies, but they're not so radio friendly that I could see them getting airplay on Active Rock.

Demon Hunter is probably a better comparison than any of the bands I listed there, but I'd say these guys are a little less in on the screaming vocals. Still, Cory Brandan has a real ear for melody and it's nice to see him have an avenue to explore that when he's not screaming his lungs out in Norma Jean. Granted I haven't really kept up with active rock radio these days but I feel like "Last Apology", "Fractional", "Infinite Winter" could all be super successful on active rock radio if pushed properly.

Upon a first (working, highly distracted) listen, this is really good. December's ending definitely had some Red vibes and the guitar breakdown towards the end of Reversal reminded me of Chevelle. So I can see those comparisons. I can hear the 10 Years reference as well because the lyrics aren't obvious and beat you over the head with simplicity, and the music is kind of moody, dark, serious type of stuff. I haven't listened to Demon Hunter in order to compare - although I have heard that their latest album has little unclean vocals, maybe I should give that a try. The other albums I hear a lot when listening to this is Sleepwave's 'Broken Compass' and CrashScene, almost like this is a sequel to their S/T album CrashScene. I can also hear a little but of Wovenwar and Heartist in the vocalist's tone. All four of these albums I just listed are some of my favorites from the past few years, so that's a good thing.

I think this album is going to be one of my higher ranked albums in the year. Definitely high up as far as hard rock goes - I need to listen to it more and learn it, but it definitely has everything I'm looking for, especially the hard aggression and borderline vocals without ever crossing the unclean line, along with some really good variation as xeph advertised! No song has the same beginning or the same end. For example, Hallejulah's ending is him yelling with a hard stop, and then right into Infinite Winter's soft opening with delayed vocals. I'm not sure why more hard rock bands don't do this variation often anymore. The little bits of echoing vocals, little bit of pianos, some light electronics on this really give it this edge of variation that I like.

@xeph They are actually playing Fractional on Octane's test drive.  It's slightly losing out to Sons of Texas' new one last I checked.