Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lucas

Theory of a Deadman - 'Wake Up Call'

22 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Kalt said:

I sure do miss 2000s TOAD.  :/

Same. None of the track titles even intrigue me besides Echoes and Loner

Eh. The lyrics are dumb, but Savages was a step back in the right direction and I'm hoping this album continues that thread, even as they continue to pander to the lowest common denominator.

9 hours ago, pen said:

Eh. The lyrics are dumb, but Savages was a step back in the right direction and I'm hoping this album continues that thread, even as they continue to pander to the lowest common denominator.

Will agree here. Lyrically they've gone to shit for several years now for the most part, but also we've mostly all grown to expect more from a lot of bands as far as maturity in music/lyrical content, so it's hard to hear they pander for that lowest common denominator still. I actually didn't mind this track too much and will at least give the album a shot when it comes out in three months.

6 minutes ago, NinjaNick101 said:

The lyrics to that song is a big step down from the singles of Savages, IMO.

Eh, to me it's kind of on par with Blow.

1 hour ago, pen said:

Eh, to me it's kind of on par with Blow.

Forgot about that one. Blow is awful. The other singles are otherwise good.

Ok not going to lie I never had a chance to even listen to this and assumed it was going to be horrible, and it's actually WAY better than I expected. Yes the lyrics are dumb at times, but the tone and acoustics of the song along with melody actually sound really good in my opinion. I know we will most likely never get another gem like Santa Monica, but this track actually has me a little more excited for this then I was prior to actually hearing it. 

Song is ok. The name change is stupid though, must really not want people to compare this album to their early albums.

Sound aside, the name change really puzzles me.  In their last album cycle they had a song in this vein under their existing name that did really well ("Angel").  Seems like they're taking an unnecessary risk trimming their name down when the old one still has some weight to it.

I'll never not know them as Theory of a Deadman, but did always call them Theory for short anyways, so I kinda get why they maybe changed it for simplicity, albeit leaves the name kind of generic.

The fact that "Rx" topped the active rock charts baffles and confuses me.

The title track was actually the best of the three. Good ballad.