Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris.

RIP Chester Bennington

129 posts in this topic

Do any of you remember the time before Linkin Park blew up (before In The End was a single)?  Like, I do... They would play ads on MTV promoting Hybrid Theory (like Drowning Pool did during WWE).  I got that shit as soon as I heard "Crawling."  I've probably spent over a thousand hours listening to Linkin Park since I was a teen, no joke.

 

No point really, just reminiscing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was listening to Nobody Can Save Me on my way home today and felt awful. This might be the first death that had affected me this strongly. I just kind of assumed Linkin Park was a band that would always be there. I wish we knew what led to this so we could prevent it in the future. Fuck, I hope we invent time travel so we can go back in time and stop it. I think Serj Tankian has had the most apt response: I don't understand this anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, pen said:

I was listening to Nobody Can Save Me on my way home today and felt awful. This might be the first death that had affected me this strongly. I just kind of assumed Linkin Park was a band that would always be there. I wish we knew what led to this so we could prevent it in the future. Fuck, I hope we invent time travel so we can go back in time and stop it. I think Serj Tankian has had the most apt response: I don't understand this anymore. 

I started tearing up listening to "One More Light" (song) yesterday while getting ready for work. So freaking eerie listening to some of these lyrics and not knowing what was going on his mind in the recent past. I've also had a bit of a rough time listening to any music that isn't energetic and happy over the last two days as it makes me think of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually when a celebrity I like dies, I'll always remember them but I kinda move on after the shock wears off. We're a few days gone from Chester's death and it's still on my mind a lot. It still feels like it just happened today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just like others have posted, Motionless In White did a fantastic job of playing a tribute to Chester. The speech he has at the beginning really had me tearing up. What he said is so true and I hope you all know here that no matter how much I post, I will always be a message away.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. Suicide is never the answer...I find it troubling that Chester still went through with this even after seeing the confusion and devastation that followed with Cornell. I just don't understand it. Anyway, it is nice to see you guys, circumstances not withstanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I listened to a good portion of Chester's discography over the weekend.  "Leave Out All The Rest" and "One More Light" are very difficult to get through.  Which sucks because they are in my top 10 of favorite LP songs.

I've been following this thread since Thursday but haven't posted because I wanted time to let this sink in.  I think the common thought is why.  But I think deep down we all know why.  His childhood trauma and addictions were one thing, but the loss of Chris clearly took him over the edge.  I'd like to say it was coincidence that he did it on Chris' birthday but it is pretty obvious that it was symbolic.

I hope in some capacity his pain and hurt is gone and that we can remember him for all of the lives he touched through his music.

I was talking to my fiancee about the future of LP.  I think for Chester's memory they will continue with Mike doing all the vocals.  The only other way I can see it is if they call Mark Wakefield and bring him back (which I'd be totally okay with)    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I first found out about this  on Thursday and it shocked me to my core. I've been a Linkin Park fan since I was at least 10 years old. I remember seeing the music video for "One Step Closer" on some TV show and being immediately enamored. I can credit LP for greatly expanding my musical palette, in which Chester's immaculate vocals played a large role. I'm sad that he is gone now, but I am thankful beyond words that he was and for how monumental he and his work have been for me since I was a child.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BreakTheAgony87 said:

I was talking to my fiancee about the future of LP.  I think for Chester's memory they will continue with Mike doing all the vocals.  The only other way I can see it is if they call Mark Wakefield and bring him back (which I'd be totally okay with)    

I thought about this and the problem is that Mike doesn't have nearly the vocal range that Chester does, not to mention that a lot of their songs rely upon the interplay between two vocalists. So it's going to be pretty much impossible for them to continue with Linkin Park as we know it without talking about a replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, pen said:

I thought about this and the problem is that Mike doesn't have nearly the vocal range that Chester does, not to mention that a lot of their songs rely upon the interplay between two vocalists. So it's going to be pretty much impossible for them to continue with Linkin Park as we know it without talking about a replacement.

Touring old songs is definitely tricky, but I don't see why they can't just continue making music with Mike as the sole vocalist. I suppose they could sample Chester's hooks at the shows. 

But I don't imagine the band is even thinking about that at this point in time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

Touring old songs is definitely tricky, but I don't see why they can't just continue making music with Mike as the sole vocalist. I suppose they could sample Chester's hooks at the shows. 

But I don't imagine the band is even thinking about that at this point in time. 

I'm not even sure I'd see them thinking about that this year, frankly. Grieving process can take a long time.

But anyway, that's why I said Linkin Park "as we know it". Because they could continue with Mike as sole vocalist but for any older songs, you're not just talking about sampling a lyric here and there, you're talking about entire choruses, entire verses. And I think that might be too emotionally hard for them to go and perform with Chester's voice, not to mention it might be construed as disrespectful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, pen said:

I thought about this and the problem is that Mike doesn't have nearly the vocal range that Chester does, not to mention that a lot of their songs rely upon the interplay between two vocalists. So it's going to be pretty much impossible for them to continue with Linkin Park as we know it without talking about a replacement.

I don't consider Mark a replacement.  I've had a soft sport for "Fuse" by Xero...I think Mark is a suitable fulfillment for Chester's range....and I don't feel like he is a replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BreakTheAgony87 said:

I don't consider Mark a replacement.  I've had a soft sport for "Fuse" by Xero...I think Mark is a suitable fulfillment for Chester's range....and I don't feel like he is a replacement.

I mean, by definition he's a replacement. He'd be filling the void left by Chester.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pen said:

I mean, by definition he's a replacement. He'd be filling the void left by Chester.

Mourn the dead but don't dwell on the past.

I knew what you meant.  I don't agree with it.  Chester left this world by choice.  He forfeited his right to leave any type of "void".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, pen said:

I mean, by definition he's a replacement. He'd be filling the void left by Chester.

LP was mostly about music for those who were lost or who felt out of place with the world.

The reason behind that was Chester's unabridged and uncensored telling of his own truth.  

I never looked at them in quite the deepest, darkest way that Chester wrote his lyrics, but it was always there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BreakTheAgony87 said:

I knew what you meant.  I don't agree with it.  Chester left this world by choice.  He forfeited his right to leave any type of "void".

You say you knew what I meant but I'm still not sure if you do. I don't mean an emotional void, I mean a physical void. There is a frontman position open. Anyone who takes that position is a replacement for the previous frontman. It doesn't matter how you feel about how that frontman left the role, anyone who takes that role now is a replacement by default.

And speaking of silly discussions, I think your comment about "forfeiting his right" is incredibly insensitive. There may not be a void for you, but certainly there's a void for his family, friends, and bandmates. I'm really not sure what you're trying to say with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.