Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris.

RIP Chester Bennington

140 posts in this topic

When my wife texted me the news this afternoon, I froze. I didn't want to look up from any sources if this was true. Linkin Park would likely be in the Top 20 of my favorite all-time bands and "Hybrid Theory" and "Meteora" might also be in my Top 20 albums of all-time. When I first saw the video for "One Step Closer" in 2000, I knew these guys were something special and would have a hell of a career. While the band took a bit of different direction with this new album, I respected them for that trying something new. A huge reason of why I'm a big fan of theirs is because Chester and Mike always changed things up on every release. They're both extremely talented being musicians, performers, and songwriters, so I've always admired them a ton in the industry.  

This has hit me harder than Cornell and Welland. I grew up in the 90's and was a fan of all of their bands and projects, but Chester as a musician meant a lot more to me personally. His voice and range were incredible. I don't know what this means for the future of the band. I can't imagine it will ever be close to the same to replace him. I've been lucky to have seen them live twice in my life. My heart goes out to his family. We really really need to focus more on preventing depression and suicide as we've seen how serious of a issue it has become in the music world and beyond as of late.

Just seeing all the names show up in this post already shows how much of an impact he had on us.

In middle school I didn't really listen to much music. Enter 2005, my first year of High School. I got hooked on a lot of bands after finding Hoobastank for the first time. Linkin Park was one of the first I followed up on because I knew they were part of this rock genre that I was really into. They were the first band I actively seemed the catalog of. Admittedly only Hybrid Theory and Meteora. I grew to become super excited for their new albums because you'd never get the same thing twice. A Thousand Suns was one of my favorite albums in college. I have some "best of" artist playlists, and my favorite one is Linkin Park because of how dynamic it is. They were my favorite band for a long time, and I think they probably have the best catalogs of "my bands". 

I always take a real or celebrity death and listen to music. Admittedly it's usually music that makes me really sad or angry, depending on how I feel at the time. I've never really had an artist's death effect me like this. Scott Weiland made me really sad, but only because of his two Velvet Revolver albums, not-so-much Stone Temple Pilots. Chris Cornell didn't have much of an effect on me either admittedly. I attribute it to my age....but I guess I never would figure a top-5 band for me would come to a sudden end (in their current incarnation.). They've been on top of my bucket list to see a concert....but I never wanted to go because the venues they'd play at in Denver were too large for my tastes. Talk about a big regret. Thanks for everything Chester. 

3 minutes ago, MU_BeastMode said:

I feel like the tone of One More Light got very dark in light of today's news. 

The title track is basically a plea for people to seek help and to make them realize that even though it doesn't feel like it to them, people care. Makes me very sad that Chester can go from writing a song like that to ending it all. His demons must have been overwhelming.

This fucking blows, dudes.   Not only was Hybrid Theory and Meteora an integral part of my rock upbringing, it's pretty much the soundtrack to a large part of my developmental years and fucking DEAD BY SUNRISE was a huge part of my healing over the worst relationship I had been in.

So, gents...if you haven't listened to Dead By Sunrise, check the record out.  It's really good in it's own way.

I "unliked" the Loudwire and Blabbermouth pages a long time ago on Facebook just because they mostly post junk, and I rarely ever saw any news on there that I didn't already know about, but mainly because of the comment sections on there were so terrible. I went on there a bit ago to see what was being said about all of this. If you want to see where the majority of the scum on the internet hangs out, it's right there on those pages. Just awful what some people posted in there about this whole thing. It's like a million Harty's having a conversation. Truly the armpit of rock/metal community.

7 hours ago, Green Baron said:

This feels different for me because Chester was a voice of my generation.

Dude, not trying to be a dick here but arent you still a teenager lol. He was the voice of a generation to people who are in their late 20's and early 30's now. Come on, man. Where you even born when Hybrid Theory came out ?

59 minutes ago, Chris. said:

I "unliked" the Loudwire and Blabbermouth pages a long time ago on Facebook just because they mostly post junk, and I rarely ever saw any news on there that I didn't already know about, but mainly because of the comment sections on there were so terrible. I went on there a bit ago to see what was being said about all of this. If you want to see where the majority of the scum on the internet hangs out, it's right there on those pages. Just awful what some people posted in there about this whole thing. It's like a million Harty's having a conversation. Truly the armpit of rock/metal community.

The youtube comments are just as bad. Even the Metalsucks asshole had to start off his sentence with the "I wasnt a fan" shit.

I think what you touched on is stuff we already knew. LP were clearly a band for the fans and for the people. Not liked by tough guy metal heads for various reasons or liked by hipsters douches. Some of them yes, but lots no as evident by what you are saying. Mr king hipster douche himself (AF) only offered a basic "RIP"and hes a guy who said he liked them in high school but of course he outgrew them as he got older.

I think its interesting how not 1 person here said they stopped listening to LP at some point because they got older and outgrew it and couldnt relate anymore. I like hearing that kind of stuff. The "I stopped listening to radio bands when I got older and matured and I discovered REAL music" mentality does exist out there as you all know.

Sucks he got booed off the stage BUT its not the first or wont be the last time something gets put out that the fans hate and gets shit on. Usually the artists recover and end up putting out good stuff again.

17 minutes ago, RainbowDragon said:

Sucks he got booed off the stage BUT its not the first or wont be the last time something gets put out that the fans hate and gets shit on. Usually the artists recover and end up putting out good stuff again.

Still think it's an important lesson to take away from self-entitled fans who think the artist should make music for them.  Can you imagine all the time and energy Chester spent writing songs like "Heavy" and then everyone everywhere just tells him it sucks and he should go back to making Hybrid Theory?  Do you think that'd be hard on a person who's already struggling pretty substantially with depression?

People think that the shit they say online doesn't matter but every comment is a drop of water and that shit can turn into a tidal wave real fast.  Just be good to people, dang.

22 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Still think it's an important lesson to take away from self-entitled fans who think the artist should make music for them.  Can you imagine all the time and energy Chester spent writing songs like "Heavy" and then everyone everywhere just tells him it sucks and he should go back to making Hybrid Theory?  Do you think that'd be hard on a person who's already struggling pretty substantially with depression?

People think that the shit they say online doesn't matter but every comment is a drop of water and that shit can turn into a tidal wave real fast.  Just be good to people, dang.

As someone who has had suicidal thoughts myself and has been in a hospital because of it, I refuse to believe someone could go through with the act itself if they are of clear mind and body at the time. I dont get the "suicide is cowardly" people because suicide in the ultimate sacrifice with no way back so wouldnt that mean you would have to have major balls to actually do it ? So how is that cowardly then when you have the courage to do it and courage is the opposite of cowardice ? Thats why I dont understand how someone could do it and not be fucked up.  When I thought about it, I thought about what it would do to my family and how they would feel guilt every day for the rest of their lives and how I would not want that for them. Of course Im thinking this all of clear mind, if I was wacked out of mind on drugs it would make doing it so much easier and I wouldnt be thinking about those it would effect.

1 hour ago, RainbowDragon said:

The youtube comments are just as bad. Even the Metalsucks asshole had to start off his sentence with the "I wasnt a fan" shit.

I think what you touched on is stuff we already knew. LP were clearly a band for the fans and for the people. Not liked by tough guy metal heads for various reasons or liked by hipsters douches. Some of them yes, but lots no as evident by what you are saying. Mr king hipster douche himself (AF) only offered a basic "RIP"and hes a guy who said he liked them in high school but of course he outgrew them as he got older.

I'll bite. Who is AF? 

Dude, not trying to be a dick here but arent you still a teenager lol. He was the voice of a generation to people who are in their late 20's and early 30's now. Come on, man. Where you even born when Hybrid Theory came out ?

Linkin Park is still an incredibly popular band amongst people my age and younger who are into rock, more so than any other band. A lot of people I know were raised with the band, grew up listening to a lot of their songs and were affected a lot by Chester's death, which is something I didn't notice with any of the other deaths. Yes, I was born when Hybrid Theory came out. I've noticed the Minutes to Midnight-era stuff is what people love as well, which makes sense because that album came out at a perfect time for us to listen to. They were still very much "our" band, even if we were on the younger end of the spectrum.

I think its interesting how not 1 person here said they stopped listening to LP at some point because they got older and outgrew it and couldnt relate anymore. I like hearing that kind of stuff. The "I stopped listening to radio bands when I got older and matured and I discovered REAL music" mentality does exist out there as you all know.

The "metalhead purists" always bash LP and numetal in general, which I always thought was stupid. As others have said on here, LP was a gateway band for many that got them into listening to rock or metal. Hybrid Theory and Meteora are probably in my top 20 all-time albums because I can play them all the way through and never want to skip a song. My friends that knew nothing about other rock bands I listened to always could relate with me because we all agreed that LP was an awesome band. We blasted Hybrid Theory in the locker room when I played football in high school and everyone on the team would get hyped to play a game. They were probably one of the most, if not the most popular band in my high school by the time I graduated. This also includes being more popular than most pop artists at that time. When Meteora came out, there was a huge buzz in school. I'm not sure if the same thing happens anymore for albums these days in grade school. Weiland, Cobain, Staley, and Cornell were all voices of my early childhood memories, while Chester is one of the most predominant voices of my teenage and early adult days along with a few others.

In my first year of college everyone blasted LP songs and the ReAnimation album along with the collaborations with Jay Z. They were everywhere on popular media when you think about it from 2000 to 2008. Even friends in college that mostly listened to country knew about and listened to LP. If I asked them if they knew who Mudvayne, Slipknot, or Skillet was they always looked at me like I was an alien, but they knew about LP. When "What I've Done" dropped, how huge was that? The lead up and hype to that song and video was serious. Also, it was the main song on the first Transformers movie series. The movies and the song are now synonymous. Just a few years ago I was riding in a car with my friend to Tahoe and he started blasting Hybrid Theory after a breakup. I hadn't listened to the entire album in about 5-10 years and we were singing every lyric perfectly to the songs. He isn't a huge rock fan either, but we could both enjoy singing the songs together and it cheered him up. My wife and I are the same way, we both love LP and can sing most of their older material without hesitation. I've also to this day used some of the lyrics for inside jokes with her and she does the same with me. This all speaks to how much of an influence Chester and LP had on my generation. Apparently as Green Baron has said, their later work has resonated with the following generation, which is extremely difficult for a band to do. The fact that Chester's death was the second headline under the OJ parole news today on CNN shows just how influential they are. I also regret never seeing them. I might have had 1 chance about 10 years ago in Philly, but never made the time during summer break. At least I got to see Chester with STP many years later and I hope Linkin Park continues because they are still influential. 

Another testament of how much Chester and LP bridged the gap between personalities and genres is this Billboard article. Look at the bottom at how many people were influenced by Chester on the twitter feeds (Iron Shiek, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Paul Stanley, Ryan Seacrest, Nikki Sixx, Jimmy Eat World, Jimmy Kimmel, Lupe Fiasco, Chance the Rapper, Sully Erna, Nick Jonas, Christina Perri, Rihanna, and John Kasich) just to name a few. This speaks volumes. http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7873821/chester-bennington-side-projects

All day I've had this in the back of my mind as I've worked on other things and I think only now is it really starting to hit me. Mostly just the question of why it happened, why these things happen, why are they still happening, etc. You would've thought that Cornell's death would have put a spotlight on getting help and trying to overcome this sort of tragedy, not lead others to join. But then Cobain and Staley's deaths didn't keep Weiland's death from happening, so I guess history doesn't really teach lessons so much as patterns. There's just too much death in the music industry. Williams, Strait, Static... I realize not all of these deaths were necessarily preventable, but it just raises concerns about how much people are paying attention to their health and the world around them. How many more have to die before we start taking these issues seriously?

All I can say is...thanks Chester for hearing you for 16+ years and enjoyed every one of them. When I first heard "One Step Closer" late 2000, I was amazed. Hybrid Theory was a masterpiece, Meteora was just as good as well as the rest of the discography. Dead By Sunrise was a great band, too. I won't forget seeing you guys at a surprise show on Warped Tour 2014 in Ventura. It was awesome times. RIP, Chester. You got me through the best times and the bad times.

5 hours ago, jman3000 said:

In my first year of college everyone blasted...along with the collaborations with Jay Z.

In the defense of people criticizing that, it was a very dumb album. It was essentially one new song and then a bunch of meaningless stuff was added to it so they could charge full price. The other five songs barely counted. Some of the songs were 50% Jay-Z and 50% LP. Like if you started listening in the middle of a song it was just copied from other LP songs with nothing new or enhanced at all. I understand they only had a weekend to make the album but they had no business charging their loyal fans full price for what they offered. It was a rip-off.

5 hours ago, pen said:

There's just too much death in the music industry.

We can't assume that all of these musicians are depressed. The one fact we know is that way too many rock musicians are on drugs and for some reason in 2017 with plenty of information and evidence out there, these people still don't realize drugs kill. I honestly have no idea how you prevent people from doing drugs. If they don't care about dying, there's no getting through to them.

I couldn't sleep last night, I thought about Chester so much. This is probably the single biggest celebrity death that's impacted me so strongly. I think I am going to distract myself and watch a lot of comedy over the next couple of days and try not to think about it. The vast majority of the time that bad stuff happens in life I don't run away from things and I face them head on, but this has hurt so badly, I need a reprieve. Not only can I not listen to LP right now but even my taste for music in general over the past 16+ hours has been killed. Need to give it some time. 

The one good thing I will say is that like my Grandpa's funeral last month where I saw a bunch of relatives I haven't seen in years, it's a nice sentiment to see a bunch of old faces around here coming together to mourn. Nice seeing you guys, even if under bad circumstances. 

I was lucky enough to see LP once. Chris Cornell was direct support on that tour. One of the best shows I've ever been to. 

This sucks. I've been listening to them since I heard the news, remembering when I was a kid jamming to Hybrid Theory with my dad and brother. Linkin Park was, at one point in time, my favorite band before Shinedown came along. They weren't responsible for me getting into heavy music (my dad is a metal guy, so Metallica, Megadeth, and Ozzy were always playing in our house from when I was born.) They were just the band that came out around the time I was really getting into music and they blew me away. 

Chester could be the frontman of MY generation. 

12 hours ago, Chris. said:

It's like a million Harty's having a conversation. 

Can we stop with this already? I know you guys think it's cool to bash me at some point it gets ridiculous. It's actually so bad you guys banned some random dude because you thought it was me knowing damn well I don't give 2 shits about wrestling. I've seen my name brought up when it comes to Trump a couple times despite you guys having no idea my opinion on Trump. I used to miss this board out of boredom but the amount of hypocritical bull shit from this board is astounding. 

1 hour ago, Taco said:

Can we stop with this already? I know you guys think it's cool to bash me at some point it gets ridiculous. It's actually so bad you guys banned some random dude because you thought it was me knowing damn well I don't give 2 shits about wrestling. I've seen my name brought up when it comes to Trump a couple times despite you guys having no idea my opinion on Trump. I used to miss this board out of boredom but the amount of hypocritical bull shit from this board is astounding. 

Well, I'm glad Harty made it so easy to ban him again. Don't know how he got out...

Hahaha oh that was some much needed levity for this thread.

Does he seriously not realize he only gives us more ammo with shit like that.