Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris.

RIP Chester Bennington

138 posts in this topic

I think I speak for many people on this site when I say that my love for heavy/alternative/weird music was sparked by LP. I only knew like, Bob Seger or whatever my parents had on the radio before I discovered "Crawling" on some baseball video in the early days of Youtube. Then from there I discovered Rise Against, my first favorite band, and then eventually everything else that I listen to these days. So the way I've experienced music over the years would be totally different without Linkin Park. As long as I've been a fan of music, they and Chester have been there, playing shows or making new music. Even if I didn't always like it, they were always there. It's almost too strange to think that won't be the case anymore.

Didn't know where else to go that I could express how I feel about this and have everyone really understand, so here's my first post in awhile, and this is crushing. Feeling terrible for his friends and family. Having a hard time with this trend and, like the rest of you, I really hope it stops.

This is unreal. While I wasn't a big fan of their new stuff, I've always loved their earlier work. I started listening to them a few weeks after they released Hybrid Theory. Their songs were a part of my high school and early college years. They got me through a lot of tough times. It's a shame that this stuff happens. We lost Cornell and now Chester and Weiland a few years back. It's ironic that Chester sang for STP and I saw STP the last time Weiland sang for them and saw STP the last time Chester sang with them. Anyways, condolences to the family and everyone here on Alternanoise. This is a tough one. 

4 minutes ago, Mìçh2077 said:

Didn't know where else to go that I could express how I feel about this and have everyone really understand, so here's my first post in awhile, and this is crushing. Feeling terrible for his friends and family. Having a hard time with this trend and, like the rest of you, I really hope it stops.

Nice to see you, Mich. Not under these circumstances, but I hope all is well. I am going to distract myself by listening to some Family Guy or something... this just sucks. 

'Back Into Your System' was my first, but 'Hybrid Theory' was my second, and ended up being way bigger into my musical growth.  I grew up listening to Garth Brooks, *NSYNC, and Heart.  I still remember turning on the little ol' boombox in my room and hearing "Papercut" for the first time.  That rocked me like you wouldn't even believe.  I must've worn grooves into that album.  I loved Linkin Park.  I still do, every thing they've done.  Sure I could have lived without Hunting Party, I guess, but I also loved that they chased whatever dream they were having at that particular moment, and I hope the rest of the guys will continue to do that in Chester's stead.

I loved Soundgarden and Audioslave, but this is on a whole nother level for me.  Chester is attached to so many memories.  Spinning those grooves into Hybrid Theory, debating the merits of Minutes To Midnight in high school Newspaper class, falling deeper and deeper in love with A Thousand Suns as Linkin Park changed at the same time I did, picking up Living Things at Target and blasting "Lies Greed Misery" as high as it would go when it first came on, hearing my girl Kiiara on an LP song and being so proud of her and of them for finding another great way to experiment.

I'll miss him, and I'll miss this band, because I can't imagine they go on without him.  They're all-timers, and I hope the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame comes knocking on their doors when the time comes.  Chester deserves that much.

This feels different for me because Chester was a voice of my generation. Whereas I still loved bands like Soundgarden and Stone Temple Pilots, they were very much clearly "90s" bands that belonged to Generation X, making most of their music before I was born. They were the elder statesmen of alternative rock that had already defined themselves as anthems for people who grew up in that timeframe. Linkin Park, as a 2000s band, was always one that fit in with my age group, perhaps the most popular rock band of the decade, and one who, as clichéd as it sounds, connected with people my age and younger. The people I talked to who like alt/rock music, and even some who wouldn't call it their favorite type of music, knew and respected their biggest hits. "In the End". "Numb". 552 million views for "Numb" on YouTube, one of the top five most viewed rock videos in history. I've said this before, but "Numb" was the first song I ever loved. I heard it in the April of 2004, when I was on a plane and I was bored and I listened to my dad's MP3 player. "Numb" was the one that I loved the most, and I played that damn song over and over again. The worst part was that I didn't remember the title of it, and it took me years to find out what that one magical song was. When I heard it again, I instantly knew that was the song. The first few seconds came back and I remembered, that was the song. They were the first band with screamed vocals that I enjoyed, and it played a role in changing my mind from me despising heavy music to me appreciating it. They were undoubtedly a gateway band, but their best songs still hold up today.

When I was 12, I had a dream that Mike Shinoda had died, and it was on the news. It wasn't a nice feeling, but I got over it quickly. I'm reminded of that dream today because after it happened, I told myself, I won't have to worry about that for another 30 years. Someone once told me that you know you're getting old when the celebrities from your childhood start to die out. I just didn't expect it to happen this early.

I haven't been to a rock show in years and bought some Linkin Park tickets just last weekend to see them in October because I felt there wasn't gonna be very many more chances to see them again, never didn't I imagine it would be because of something like this. I thought their artistic ambitions would eventually just split them up for good. And now I can never say I saw Linkin Park live :(

As far as musicians dying this one by far has hurt the most. There has been bigger artists to go, but none have hurt more. 

Was just going to say something similar as you guys - Hybrid Theory came out right as I was entering high school, it really was one of the first bands to give me a love of rock, and help me through my formative teenager years. Now I really know how people felt when they had their Elvis, their Prince, their Cornell die. I was always sad for them but it never truly hurt me like this does. 

What in the fuck. RIP. I haven't been a fan of LP in a long time but he's an extraordinarily gifted singer, they were one of the bands that really got into rock as a kid and I've long respected them as artists, so this is hitting me a lot harder than I would've thought. The shock of it all is still hitting me. Definitely playing A Thousand Suns at work today. 

Just to kind of echo the sentiment of everyone else, at a young age my musical tastes were like Kiss, Aerosmith, Zeppelin, etc. basically what my parent listened too. But when Hybrid Theory came out, it introduced me to the heavier stuff, and changed my whole outlook on rock and metal music. They were the doorway to that. And like we've all said, Chester was the Freddie Mercury, the Chris Cornell, the Kurt Cobain, the frontman of our childhood. 

This hurts so much, and I can't help but hurt even more listening to their records right now and how much he told us about his mental state in all of his music. Just tragic. 

Totally shocking. This is easily the most upsetting musician death for me and one of the worst overall celebrity deaths for me. I had a small handful of albums before 'Hybrid Theory.' I had Papa Roach, P.O.D., Kid Rock. But when I got 'Hybrid Theory' in 2000 when it came out it blew me away. It was possibly the first album I ever heard that I really enjoyed almost all of the tracks. It came out right when I started getting into music when I was 13-years-old and nu-metal was very popular. Linkin Park, Disturbed and Papa Roach were the main three bands that I grew up with and they'll probably end up going down as my favorite three bands of all-time. And even though it's neck-and-neck with Hail The Villain's masterpiece and they might be tied, 'Minutes to Midnight' is my favorite album of all-time.

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

I hope the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame comes knocking on their doors when the time comes.  Chester deserves that much.

We will see what happens. The Hall of Fame is mainly controlled by critics and journalists (fans get a small vote) and LP was never a critical favorite. I think they will get in but because of what I said it wont be first year eligible and they will have to wait longer. Doubt they will let them in first year just because he died, sadly. I think they still have 8 years to go anyway before first eligible, long time.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/korn-guitarist-reacts-to-chester-benningtons-death-giving-up-on-your-kids-fans-and-life-is-the-cowardly-way-out/

This to me, with all the information on depression and suicide that is out there, is inexcusable to say at this point. I'm not someone who gets outraged much these days, but I guess just slightly annoyed. 

I think what makes it worse is the amount of people who have echoed his opinion. 

If I remember correctly, Chester was pretty outspoken on his depression, his childhood trauma of being abused by an adult and his alcohol and drug addiction. Isn't this one of the reasons child abuse is so talked about, because it can impact someone in this way? Then when we see it first-hand, suddenly the first comment someone gives is "It's cowardly"

I'm not even saying killing yourself is rational. It's not, that's the point. That someone gets so low that rationality and even basic human survival instincts go out the window and they end it all, this is serious mental illness that clouds judgement. 

I just never understood comments like this. 

Still can't believe both of them are dead... if you told me this four months ago, I never would have believed you

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/korn-guitarist-reacts-to-chester-benningtons-death-giving-up-on-your-kids-fans-and-life-is-the-cowardly-way-out/

This to me, with all the information on depression and suicide that is out there, is inexcusable to say at this point. I'm not someone who gets outraged much these days, but I guess just slightly annoyed. 

I think what makes it worse is the amount of people who have echoed his opinion. 

If I remember correctly, Chester was pretty outspoken on his depression, his childhood trauma of being abused by an adult and his alcohol and drug addiction. Isn't this one of the reasons child abuse is so talked about, because it can impact someone in this way? Then when we see it first-hand, suddenly the first comment someone gives is "It's cowardly"

I'm not even saying killing yourself is rational. It's not, that's the point. That someone gets so low that rationality and even basic human survival instincts go out the window and they end it all, this is serious mental illness that clouds judgement. 

What people misconstrue about suicide is that they think these people are like "oh yeah, yeah it kinda sucks for them but my family will be fine without me, fuck it I'm outta here". To be depressed and suicidal is to feel that everyone around you hates you and will be happier if you're not around (even if that isn't remotely true). It's a mental illness for a reason, you're not thinking clearly.

1 hour ago, RainbowDragon said:

We will see what happens. The Hall of Fame is mainly controlled by critics and journalists (fans get a small vote) and LP was never a critical favorite. I think they will get in but because of what I said it wont be first year eligible and they will have to wait longer. Doubt they will let them in first year just because he died, sadly. I think they still have 8 years to go anyway before first eligible, long time.

They're one of the few bands of their era that had an undeniable influence on rock music.  I'd be stunned if they have to wait long.  Hybrid Theory alone gets them in because it was most likely the biggest rock album of the 2000s.

The thing with born-agains is that they have a tendency to be self-righteous pricks on certain topics. 

27 minutes ago, Matt said:

I knew he had issues growing up which most definitely contributed to his drug use but he had his whole life to try to improve and get well. Depression isn't something that can be cured but drug use is. There are places you can go and people who can help and the money he had would surely make that all easier. He may have not been entirely in control of his actions when he died but a person can't be absolved of 100% of the blame when they do something terrible like suicide.

17 minutes ago, Andrew said:

They're one of the few bands of their era that had an undeniable influence on rock music.  I'd be stunned if they have to wait long.  Hybrid Theory alone gets them in because it was most likely the biggest rock album of the 2000s.

Actually Rolling Stone (who some people think their boss controls the HOF) did a nice LP tribute today. Ill have to google and see what kind of reviews they gave those LP albums. You know that sales and hits alone doesnt get you in right away, right ? Sales + hits + critical acclaim is the trifecta that gets you in ASAP. Plenty of acts that arent in that the critics loved and dont have the massive hits and massive sales.

Lets look at Motley Crue vs Guns n Roses for example. Both had the sales and the hits but the critics hated Motley Crue and liked GNR so one gets in right away and the other is still waiting despite forming 6 years earlier. Hmmm. On the other hand you have Soundgarden which also had all 3 and they formed before Nirvana yet Nirvana gets in right away and Soundgarden still isnt in. I guess the point is there is no way to predict this stuff because they clearly arent as consistent as they should be.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I knew he had issues growing up which most definitely contributed to his drug use but he had his whole life to try to improve and get well. Depression isn't something that can be cured but drug use is. There are places you can go and people who can help and the money he had would surely make that all easier. He may have not been entirely in control of his actions when he died but a person can't be absolved of 100% of the blame when they do something terrible like suicide.

I don't think anyone is saying he was forced into this, but that there could certainly be contributing factors. As for drugs, I have no idea if he was still on drugs.

Having children and a wife and a successful band doesn't mean depression will avoid you. Money can obviously help you with finding a professional, which I have no idea if Chester did or not. But he was at least outspoken on his struggles. 

If anything, this just once again shows how serious depression can be - a guy who has said recently he is really happy, has a lot of money, children, and a wife still killed himself. 

43 minutes ago, Matt said:

It really is weird coming from people who have also been high and wacked out of their minds. You would think people who have been high on drugs would understand. If the autopsy finds no drugs in his system then I would be shocked and stunned.

I have mixed feelings on the current conversation as I talked with my mom about this a little while ago and she feels suicide is a cowardly act, but I think that's because we're used to seeing suicide in terms of people using it as an out or an escape instead of finding the help they need.

But if there's someone who is being helped or trying to get help who just reaches a point where the depression is so crippling that they believe fully that suicide is the only solution for themselves, or worse, for their loved ones... what then? How do you help that? I've been low before but I can't imagine ever feeling that low.

I think it's also that whenever we lose someone we care about, one of the steps of grieving is passing the blame, and in the case of suicide, there's really only so many people who can be blamed. It's easy to think that if someone only thought of the people who loved them, that they'd change their mind, but you guys are right in that it doesn't work that way.

I dunno, it's such a complex issue. And it's a shame we'll never really know why Chester or Chris killed themselves. Their families and bandmates will never get that closure. Their fans will never understand the reasons why. Head isn't wrong when he talks about setting examples and people who turned to Linkin Park to ease their own depressions may be disheartened by Chester losing the fight.

Honestly, the whole thing just makes me upset. I remember Linkin Park was the band that really sold me on heavier music. Up until Linkin Park, I was listening mainly to bands that crossed over on pop stations or the odd rock band I'd hear at my high school, but I never listened to Korn or Godsmack or Slipknot and never considered them until Linkin Park became a gateway for me to that world.

I still remember hearing Crawling for the first time, walking to the TV to watch the video, and scrambling to the internet to figure out what the hell I just witnessed. Linkin Park will always be one of my favorite bands and I only hope that the remaining band members find some way to carry on, as monumentally difficult as I'm sure it will be.