Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andrew

Spider-Man: Homecoming

38 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, pen said:

When Batman Begins came out, the only previous Batman movie that did better at the box office was the original Batman.

Inflation I'm sure. It came out eight years after the previous Batman movie. And it didn't do huge numbers at the box office compared to other popular superhero movies at the time. 

Saw it, was great. Zendaya was easily the best part of the movie for me, but Tom Holland did a commendable job as a "younger" version of Spiderman. Michael Keaton was awesome and a totally badass Vulture, and the reveal that he was Peter's crush's dad was a genuine "holy shit" plot twist for me. Not so coincidentally, my least favorite parts of the movie were when they tried to shoehorn in Tony Stark/the MCU. I audibly cheered when Peter turned down the offer to become an Avenger at the end of the movie. Action scenes were top notch, suit looked much better than maybe I was expecting it to. This was a great introduction but I'm holding out that the next movie is a little darker in tone, Spiderman has historically suffered from huge personal tragedies and I feel like they kinda dodged that this time around. Overall it gets an 8/10 from me.

I didn't like this movie nearly as much as everyone else and I went in thinking I was going to like it. Thoughts below...

- Michael Keaton was the highlight of the movie. His villain was right up there with Loki as the best ever in the MCU. And seeing as how Loki has been crappy since after Avengers 1, I'm inclined to think that Vulture tops him. That twist with him being not-MJ's dad was awesome. I did not see that coming at all. The tension was through the roof in that car ride to the dance. I love how they stopped ignoring that there was a massive battle in New York that needed cleaning up. I love how the villain was tied into that and he had reasonable motivations for what he did. I also loved the mid-credits scene where he redeemed himself a bit and didn't reveal that he knew who Peter was. I thought that was the perfect way for him to go out and I hope we don't see or hear about Vulture again. Hopefully Michael Keaton won't sign on for another movie and water down and ruin his great character just to be in a Sinister Six team-up or some other junk.

- Tom Holland was pretty good as Spider-Man. I was happy with him. The new suit that Tony made for him looked okay but I'm glad he kept his current suit which is right up there with the Raimi one as the best Spidey suit.

- I was surprised by how little Tony was in the movie. It was basically a ten minute cameo spaced out through multiple scenes. Some of his dialogue felt a little weird. Like at the beginning of the movie when he told Peter to ask what May was wearing. It came off as creepy and playboy Tony never usually comes off that way when talking about women.

- The worst fucking thing about this movie was black MJ. The fucking worst. She might have been the worst character I have ever seen in a movie in my life. She protests, complains about slavery and is a total cunt so I'm sure she'll appeal to the young people watching the film but I despised her character. She didn't have a single redeeming quality for the entire movie. A total fucking cunt from start to finish. I assumed that Vulture's daughter was going to be MJ but when she moved at the end it explained the lack of development on her and Peter's relationship because she probably won't be in the next one. I can't believe this other girl is MJ and is going to be the love interest.

- Ned was a horrible character. His whole purpose for 95% of the movie was to be amazed that his friend was Spider-Man.

- The movie wasn't nearly as funny as everyone said it was. The comedy gold of Garfield, Leary and Stone was much funnier that this movie.

- Tony said that the Avengers don't do the smaller crime stuff and he said it's a level below and I thought that wow we're finally possibly getting a reference to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. but then it was revealed that he was just talking about the FBI. I thought that was funny.

- So is Donald Glover the uncle of Miles Morales?

Mike hating Zendaya's character is potentially the least surprising that's ever happened in the history of time

2 minutes ago, xeph said:

Mike hating Zendaya's character is potentially the least surprising that's ever happened in the history of time

Forgive me for not enjoying her stalking Peter with no hint of an explanation given as to why, flipping Peter off, not playfully, but just to be a bitch and being grouchy to everyone in the movie for the entire duration of the movie. If you'd like to explain to me how she isn't horrible, I'd love to hear it. Usually I can understand why someone might like a character I don't like but I just can't possibly see what anyone would like about her character. I will consider not even seeing the next Spider-Man movie because of her involvement. She makes Skyler White look like Walter White.

I'd like to see a director's cut where she's in the elevator when it goes down, falls out of it and smashes to the ground and then the elevator comes crashing down on her. I'd pay to see that.

Glossing over Mike's predictable hatred for Zendaya as MJ; yes, Mike, Donald Glover played Miles Morales's uncle. When Peter does the facial scan, he comes up as 'The Prowler.'

Kinda hard for me to judge Marvel films from critic scores. I really haven't been "wowed" by a Marvel movie in a while. It seems lately there is a lot of hype surrounding their films for them to just come out being mediocre to good - which, in fairness, isn't bad for popcorn movies. I guess when i read reviews, it at times starts to raise the expectation bar and I go in expecting a little more. 

Though, some saying i'ts on par or better than Spider-Man 2 has me intrigued - I'm a pretty big Keaton fan, so I'll get around to watching this at some point.  

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

Zendaya was fucking great and Mike's wrong, per usual

Your opinion is way more valid than mine. You of course being the guy who loved The Amazing Spider-Man 2. 

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Your opinion is way more valid than mine. You of course being the guy who loved The Amazing Spider-Man 2. 

Still do, fight me. I like Spider-Man 3 too.