Release Date: June 30, 2017

1. Ysif
2. Taipei Person/Allah Tea
3. Knievel Has Landed
4. Hydrograd
5. Song #3
6. Fabuless
7. The Witness Trees
8. Rose Red Violent Blue (This Song Is Dumb & So Am I)
9. Thank God Its Over
10. St. Marie
11. Mercy
12. Whiplash Pants
13. Friday Knights
14. Somebody Stole My Eyes
15. When The Fever Broke

After one listen, this doesn't touch either of the House of Gold and Bones albums. Maybe it'll grow, but this is kinda eh

St. Marie is country influenced. He has the voice for that kind of song. I like Mercy, classic SS. Knievel Has Landed has a cool intro and vibe. Somebody Stole My Eyes sounds thrash metal. 

BTW, I mocked the Its only rock n roll but I like it line and said it was cheesy, turns out its a Rolling Stones tribute from one of their songs.

On my first listen, I'm really liking it musically.  Corey just isn't doing it for me vocally/lyrically the first go around, maybe it's just his approach to this direction that I'm not used to.  I'll have to spin it more for sure to really get a feel for it.  He does have his moments he shines on, Saint Marie being one of the top ones for him.

After one listen my stand out cuts are Knievel Has Landed, Song #3, Thank God It's Over, St. Marie, Whiplash Pants, Friday Knights, and of course the mighty Somebody Stole My Eyes. 

The ending of Whiplash Pants reminds me of Get This from the extended first Slipknot record. 

Since most Stone Sour albums grow on me, I'm going to only give my initial thoughts, because it will definitely change.

Is it their best album? No. Is it still good? Fuck yes. 

I'm surprised by the comment, this album is phenomenal. The Witness Trees is my favorite so far

My only complaint is that there's too many great songs in this album, even the lighter songs have its moments. This album rocks.

Favorites: Taipei Person/Allah Tea, Song #3, Whiplash Pants, Somebody Stole My Eyes

Wow. The response from you guys (especially a few of you that I seem to have similar tastes too) has made me really excited for this. Some of the early reviews of the released songs weren't too hot, but you guys are pretty close to 'raving' about it. Got to get it asap! 

There's some cool music here, but Corey sounds totally directionless as a songwriter. Just an unfocused mess of regurgitated ground he's already covered extensively in the past. Time to evolve. 

58 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

There's some cool music here, but Corey sounds totally directionless as a songwriter. Just an unfocused mess of regurgitated ground he's already covered extensively in the past. Time to evolve. 

Or he's having fun writing music. God forbid a band just put out a straightforward rock album because they want to.

Just now, pen said:

Or he's having fun writing music. God forbid a band just put out a straightforward rock album because they want to.

More power to him, but just because you had fun writing something doesn't make it good. 

2 hours ago, Ruiner said:

More power to him, but just because you had fun writing something doesn't make it good. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad.

1 hour ago, pen said:

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad.

*opinions*

This album is fucking great. It's a pretty straightforward Stone Sour album, it's not HoGaB, and it doesn't need to be. I also think Christian Martucci brings an extra dynamic in the solos on the album. Favorite tracks are Someone Stole My Eyes, Whiplash Pants, and the title track Hydrograd.....love the line on the breakdown "I'm not better than you, I'm just better"

In case it wasn't clear from my posts, I enjoyed this album. No, it isn't their best, but I'm okay with that because it's still a very solid effort with a lot to like.

5 hours ago, pen said:

No, it isn't their best

And definitely not the worst.  I like it better than Audio Secrecy and Come What(ever) May.

I listened to this once while I was very distracted working on some work, but as it was in the background, everything sounded the same. I'll have to listen to it several more times to learn and give it full attention. 

Definitely a stand out album for Stone Sour. The variety of directions they tried on this album will not please a lot of their fans, but I love when bands try a little something different. I think what I like most about this album is to me it's the first that separates them from Slipknot. Stone Sour always came across as Slipknot light. Without Root on this album they sound like their own band. 

This album has certainly grown on me in the last two weeks.  I really dig it, while not their best it's certainly on up there in ranking for me with their releases. Christian Martucci seems to have added something within the band.  I think if they can sustain this lineup that we will hear some even more awesome music in the future.  I initially felt like Corey's performance was lacking, but the more I've listened it's just right.  The only real complaint I can say about this album is that it is a little too monotonous at times.  It also could have benefited from leaving a couple of tracks off.

Here's my quick rundown of the album track by track if anyone's bored enough to read through.  

(Sorry about the font size of the rundown, I copied it from an app on my phone and couldn't get it to change on here)

YSIF- very pointless intro song, I could have done without hearing 

Taipei Person/Allah Tea - starts out with some nice guitar work and drum fills.  It's dialed back when the verse starts.  Nice soaring chorus that gets stuck in your head.  Typical Stone Sour sound when the bridge comes around.  Guitar solos are good.  

Knievel Has Landed- love everything about this song

Hydrograd-  didn't really like this one at first, but its definitely grown on me.  Love the line "I'm not better than you, I'm just better" 

Song#3-  the catchiest song on the record, really good stuff.  Another chorus that'll get stuck in your head for days.  Guitar solos in this are probably my favorite in the album.  

Fabuless-  just a good head banging song,  more great guitar work 

The Witness Trees-  nice break after getting pummeled by Fabuless, good guitar work.  I like the lyrics a lot.  

Rose Red Violent Blue (This Song is Dumb and So Am I) -  the song is kind of dumb, but to be fair they tell you it is lol.  I do like the music throughout the song as well as the chorus.  Guitar solos of this song are probably my second favorite on the album.  

Thank God It's Over- decent song, nice musicianship throughout 

St. Marie- Corey is great on this, a really unexpected song.  I enjoy the steel guitar on it. Catchy chorus.

Mercy- I really like this song, really dig the lyrics.  "My best is pointless" sung right from the beginning and instantly caught me.  I can identify with those words.  Also "All talk no action, completely incomplete.  Why wish me well, when I know exactly what you think?"  This just speaks to me about my life and things that have been going on with family for a long time.  Chorus is good, music is good

Whiplash Pants-  This is my favorite on the album.  I read somewhere that this song is about Corey's kids and to hear it knowing that makes the song hilarious.  It's a really fun, heavy yet catchy song.

Friday Knights-  decent song, catchy chorus, typical song for Stone Sour 

Somebody Stole My Eyes-  just a great heavy, high energy song.  

When the Fever Broke-  nice ending to a mostly fast paced album.  This is another different sounding song for Stone Sour

I'll agree that the album could possibly stand to be cut down by a few songs, but then again, I couldn't tell you which songs I would leave off, which I guess is proof that maybe it's fine the way it is. Maybe my patience isn't what it used to be, as 14 songs (and one intro) isn't really a lot to ask from a listener. I just find myself more and more unable to make that commitment lately.