Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Omar

Imagine Dragons - 'Evolve'

16 posts in this topic

On 6/21/2017 at 11:13 PM, Omar said:

This album is fantastic.

Agreed. For some reason, I vaguely recall being slightly disappointed by Smoke + Mirrors, but I cannot recall why specifically. The excellence of this album makes me think that 2015 Kyle must have been doing something wrong, so it seems 2017 Kyle must now revisit both Night Visions and Smoke + Mirrors to atone for the sins of the past. 

2 hours ago, kyle1020 said:

Agreed. For some reason, I vaguely recall being slightly disappointed by Smoke + Mirrors, but I cannot recall why specifically. The excellence of this album makes me think that 2015 Kyle must have been doing something wrong, so it seems 2017 Kyle must now revisit both Night Visions and Smoke + Mirrors to atone for the sins of the past. 

Hi Kyle!!!! I miss you!

I am with you, I was disappointed in Smoke + Mirrors as well. I went back and listened to their whole discography as I often do whenever a band releases new music and I still find a lot of songs from that album merely meh. This album was a return to form and dare I say might be better...

Yeah I've been lurking the past couple of days trying to decide where and how to jump back into things. After doing a not entirely thorough but mostly informative catch-up of some recent threads, I remembered all the things I liked about this forum and about you guys, and I found myself missing being a part of all the things. It's been too long, but hello!

I think what made me lukewarm on Smoke + Mirrors was that it didn't quite like feel there was that one big track that made me say, "Woah! Now that's a dope song that makes me overwhelmingly excited about this album." When I first heard "Radioactive," it really struck me that this band could be something special. I just didn't quite notice anything earthshaking like it on Smoke + Mirrors. But an additional listen in the next day or so will probably reveal some forgotten or unnoticed cool things to me.

2 hours ago, pen said:

Glad to see you back, eyeball.

It feels right to be back. In the back of my mind, I knew I wouldn't stay away forever; I just needed the moment to feel right. Mission accomplished.

Also, it's summer, and I refuse to start lesson planning until mid-July, so I need things and friends to keep me entertained. Hello, friends and things!

Only have a moment for a couple of quick thoughts, but this album is pretty damn good, but not great. S+M is way better than this.

Standout tracks to me after about 5 listens are Yesterday, Thunder, Believer and Walking the Wire. Several of the songs are a little bit too much synth and repetition. Dancing in the Dark is probably the my least favorite song they'e done off Night Visions, Smoke + Mirrors and Evolve. I see what they were trying to do, but that comes off poor to me and more of a remix to a full song than the full song its self. 

I am concerned that they're starting to lose some of their creativity and variation. 

I absolutely love this band. I loved their first two albums and the many b-sides and non-album songs they've released over the years could combine to be an awesome album as well. I knew this new CD was coming out but kinda forgot as I've been busy over the past few days. I just downloaded it and will listen tomorrow.

Okay, after about 10 listens I think I am ready to gauge each individual song and the album overall. As I learn it, it's a little better than I thought. Still can't quite match S+M in my eyes, though. 

Gems (I envision myself coming back to these long after I stop listening to the full album often)

Believer, Walking the Wire, Rise, Yesterday, Thunder

Pretty good, not a Gem:

I Don't Know Why, Whatever It Takes, I'll Make It Up To You, Mouth of the River, Start Over, Levitate

Least favorite song they've made to date:
Dancing in the Dark

This album is my favorite of the year so far. Granted I would be hard pressed to make a list of competing 2017 albums since I keep getting 2016 and 2017 mixed up. I finally stopped writing 2016 on boards, journals, and forms a few days ago. 

I haven't heard the two deluxe tracks yet, but so far this is a really good album after a few listens to let it sink in some. There's a few that had to grow on me, and "Dancing In the Dark" still hasn't quite caught on for me yet, but pretty much love the rest of the album. One of my favorites so far for the year up there w/ Palisades' new one.

It's possible this album will grow on me but after two listens, it's my least favorite of their albums, by far. Track by track review...

1 - Out of place very poppy song. Not a good first track.
2 - Pretty good song.
3 - Very catchy.
4 - Decent.
5 - Decent.
6 - I somewhat dig what to me feels like a disco-infused chorus.
7 - Meh.
8 - Almost catchy but not quite.
9 - Good song. The last 35 seconds or so are amazing.
10 - Sucks.
11 - Worst song they've ever made.

4 hours ago, Mike said:

It's possible this album will grow on me but after two listens, it's my least favorite of their albums, by far. Track by track review...

1 - Out of place very poppy song. Not a good first track.
2 - Pretty good song.
3 - Very catchy.
4 - Decent.
5 - Decent.
6 - I somewhat dig what to me feels like a disco-infused chorus.
7 - Meh.
8 - Almost catchy but not quite.
9 - Good song. The last 35 seconds or so are amazing.
10 - Sucks.
11 - Worst song they've ever made.

Thanks for putting in the titles!