Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

E3 2017

82 posts in this topic

Now that E3 is just about done, I'm gonna rank the console makers...

1. Nintendo: I was hoping for a 2D Metroid game and I wanted more stuff for 3DS and I got both of those things with the new Metroid game. A big surprise was Metroid Prime 4 which I'm very happy is happening. We get a 2D old school Metroid (with some wonderful modern enhancements) and a first-person one as well...the best of both worlds. The Yoshi game looks amazing. Mario + Rabbids looks very fun. Super Mario Odyssey should be great. The Kirby game looked pretty good too. Overall a very solid showing from Nintendo. They showed great stuff for this year and they showed enough hints at what is to come in the future to keep me satisfied.

2. Sony: Spider-Man and God of War look really fun. I'm still looking forward to Days Gone but it had a very disappointing demo. Detroit looks good from a story perspective. Sony has since said that they are saving some surprises for other events this year but this press conference was sorely lacking in terms of surprises and they should've given us more at E3. Even if you count Uncharted which I probably won't be playing, there is jack shit in terms of exclusives coming to PS4 for the rest of the year.

3. Microsoft: Sea of Thieves looks great. Crackdown 3 look good. The Last Night and Ashen show promise. And that's about it. Most of Microsoft's extremely boring press conference was them milking it for over 90 minutes with an onslaught of trailers from a bunch of games that had no business being seen during their press conference. Microsoft is more focused on rebooting the Xbox One brand with an unnecessary new console in a futile attempt to surpass PS4 than they are on building a solid library of new exclusive franchises.

Yeah Nintendo ran away with this show. They've actually got me considering buying a second console, which would be the first time I've ever owned more than one and also a horrible way to spend my money. It's still very unlikely, but once the 10/10 reviews for Mario start pouring in... it'll be tough. 

12 hours ago, Ruiner said:

The way you describe it sounds appealing and I did think the E3 trailer looked really cool. I might have to give it a whirl. 

Here's a decent enough summation of the last one

So I was thinking about full exclusives or console exclusives for Xbox One so far this generation and man they have had a rough time. Killer Instinct was mostly given away for free so you can't go by sales but seeing as how it has returned for multiple "seasons" we'll call it a success. Halo 5 was obviously a success as well but not even close to the sales of the 360 games. The Gears 1 remaster and Gears 4 sold well but about half of what the series was selling on the 360. Titanfall was a big hit but Titanfall 2 wasn't exclusive anymore. Dead Rising 3 and Ryse sold over a million each but Ryse is dead now and Dead Rising 4 flopped. ReCore and Quantum Break flopped. Fable Legends and Scalebound got canceled. Not all of these games are bad. Quantum Break got good reviews. I liked ReCore and Ryse. It's just amazing that Microsoft has failed to develop any successful new franchises outside of Halo, Gears and the now dead Fable.

http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/68/xbox-one/

And I'm really surprised how close the race is in North America. If it wasn't for other parts of the world this console race wouldn't feel nearly as lopsided. I knew Xbox did poorly outside of America but I didn't think it was this bad. Although I am aware the Japanese are biased when it comes to consoles so there's no surprise with the sales there.

n2n7lg.png

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

This looks really good. I forgot to mention this as a positive for Xbox at E3.

I wish some of these games were out now. I have three months until Destiny and only Mass Effect, Ghost Recon and Prey to keep me busy until then. I'm almost entirely caught up with everything.