Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

E3 2017

82 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Ruiner said:

I do believe there is more interest in a new From Software game than a new Insomniac title.

It's not JUST a new Insomniac title, it's a new Insomniac title featuring one of the world's most well-known properties.  It was a no-brainer show closer, certainly over anything the Souls team might be cooking up.

I'm surprised by the negative reaction of the Sony conference, I thought it was great. 

Skyrim in VR is fucking awesome 

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

It's not JUST a new Insomniac title, it's a new Insomniac title featuring one of the world's most well-known properties.  It was a no-brainer show closer, certainly over anything the Souls team might be cooking up.

I do feel the need to express that my opinion would be different if Spider-Man hadn't already been announced for quite a while. To me, Spider-Man is what you use to open the show hot with, you close with some big exciting news--and I think the tepid crowd reaction supports that. But maybe if the actual footage had been more impressive might have helped too, and not 60% cutscenes, 20% Arkham stealth, and 20% of the webslinging you want to see from a Spider-Man game. 

No way a teaser for Bloodborne 2 or Infamous 4 doesn't get a bigger reaction. Or Death Stranding gameplay, for that matter. Or at least, if any of those had occurred elsewhere in the show, Spider-Man would have been a more welcome ending than "that's it?". The whole presser suffered from being a bunch of shit everybody already knew about, and nothing especially exciting. 

5 hours ago, Matt said:

I'm surprised by the negative reaction of the Sony conference, I thought it was great. 

Skyrim in VR is fucking awesome 

I don't disagree, but it's only really awesome if you have plans to get Playstation VR, which kind of limits the impact. Otherwise, it's "huh, that'll be a lot of fun for somebody else". 

I was fine with Sony's conference, and thought it was the strongest one so far. I want almost every one of those games. 

Spider-Man is an IP that can close the show, especially since it's an exclusive, standalone game. 

Pretty good little showing there from Nintendo. Super Mario Odyssey looks extremely weird, like it's the Majora's Mask of 3D Mario games. Tossing the hat on enemies to take them over should offer some fun experimentation. Seeing Mario as a fish was hilarious. The Kirby game looked okay. The Yoshi game looked pretty fun. The Metroid Prime 4 announcement has me very excited. For the first time I can play a first-person Metroid game with a real controller.

I understand the focus for this livestream was on Switch but I hope this week they announce some content of substance for 3DS/2DS. A 2D Metroid with the gameplay on the top screen and the map on the bottom screen would be perfect for that platform. If there are no big announcements this week I'm probably going to trade in my 3DS. I've barely used it over the past two years or so. This is the same thing that happened with the DS...a bunch of games early on and then Nintendo stops paying attention to it.

Interesting. There's been a remake of Metroid II floating around the internet for quite some time (it was of course unofficial and thus outlawed by Nintendo). I'm interested to see what an official remake by Nintendo turns out like.

This looks very good. The 360 degree aiming is fantastic and being able to set waypoints on the map to go back to previously inaccessible areas is awesome. The save system and checkpoints should also alleviate what I imagine is some brutal old school difficulty. This is definitely a day 1 purchase for me. I might hold off on that Mario + Rabbids game now and play it a little later.

I was a huge Metroid Prime fan and then you got to the 3rd game where you had to point the Wiimote at the screen to shoot missiles and crap controls like that was it for me I was done with it. If this new game has normal regular controls I would be interested in it.

35 minutes ago, RainbowDragon said:

I was a huge Metroid Prime fan and then you got to the 3rd game where you had to point the Wiimote at the screen to shoot missiles and crap controls like that was it for me I was done with it. If this new game has normal regular controls I would be interested in it.

I never had a GameCube so the first time I played Metroid Prime was through backwards compatibility on Wii. I couldn't believe that you had to stop moving in order to aim. That's awful. They fixed that with Metroid Prime 3 and later on with the Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii U. I'm sure there will probably be some goofy joy-con control scheme with MP4 but I'm confident it will have a controller option for the Pro controller which is what I will be using.

I was thinking, in addition to the campaign, it'd be cool if MP4, instead of a generic PvP multiplayer mode, had something like Mass Effect 3. It can be you and three others facing waves of enemies and you earn currency to open chests and inside these chests are different weapons and armor pieces that you can use to customize your very own bounty hunter.

Now that all the conferences are over, I thought I'd step back and soak everything in and share my thoughts on what we've been shown.

To make things easier, I'm just going to break it all by conference and bullet point stuff and put them behind spoiler walls so it doesn't take a mountain of space. I've also bolded game titles and spaced things out to make it easier for people to read the thoughts they wanna read and avoid the ones they don't.

Nintendo:

Spoiler
  • After seeing all the games that Nintendo has prepped for the future, I absolutely want a Switch. I don't think I've seen a single game they've announced that I don't have interest in on some level, and that includes the smaller titles like Yoshi, Kirby, Xenoblade, and Mario + Rabbids, the latter of which is an interesting choice for partnership, to do a tactical RPG. But it looks awesome. (Is it bad that I think that Princess Peach with a blaster cannon is kinda hot?)

• Super Mario Odyssey looks fantastically weird and I love it. I'm glad they're returning to the Super Mario 64 and Sunshine style of play for this one and the hat mechanic looks compelling. I am curious how controlling all these other critters changes the gameplay and what tasks it will require. Koopa Troopa with a mustache is ridiculous in a good way, although Mario in the real world brings back bad Sonic 2006 flashbacks.

• I am a little surprised by the Metroid Prime 4 announcement since they didn't have any gameplay to show and that doesn't really seem like Nintendo, but I understand why they may have felt the need to let people know it's coming. It's interesting that it's not made by Retro this time and that makes me curious what they're up to, but I'm glad it's still being headed by the same guy who headed the previous games. I'm curious though if we'll even see this as a 2018 release since there's nothing to show at this stage.

• Pokemon on the Switch is huge, both because it's the first time a console iteration has been made for the main series but also because it helps sell the Switch as a portable device, and I think Nintendo really needs to push the portable aspects of the Switch as much as possible. Hell, people are mostly excited for Rocket League on the Switch just because it means Rocket Switch going portable. It's all most people talk about when talking about the reason to own a Switch. Nintendo needs to lean on that as much as they can.

• I do like where Nintendo's head is at when it comes to partnering with other companies for ports like Skyrim and Rocket League. Not only getting the games, but supplying additional exclusive Nintendo-related content. I think that in addition to portability will be the big draw for iterations on the Switch, since graphics are obviously going to hit a wall. I think Nintendo recognizes how important getting third-party content is and I've read Reggie say they pretty much want every major third-party title to end up on the Switch. They're making a good start.

• On a side-note, I'm glad they're remaking Mario + Luigi: Superstar Saga for the 3DS along with the remake of Metroid II. I think as much as it's important to move forward, going back and recreating history helps bring these games to a new audience and helps reiterate what makes them great. Interested to find out what changes and improvements Nintendo has in store for these games.

Microsoft:

Spoiler
  • Microsoft's approach to things feels to me like the reverse problem of Nintendo. Nintendo has problems with third-parties but it feels like Microsoft relies on them too much. The games they showed during their conference are great and all, but of the 23 games they apparently showed during the conferences, only 8 are exclusive to Microsoft products and only one of those is exclusive to the One. The whole "launch exclusive" thing is a savvy business move no matter how you slice it, but relying on it seems dangerous, especially for a company looking to reclaim market share.

• On that note, I know Microsoft is not just about Halo, but I'm surprised they didn't show anything Halo-related at all even if just to remind people that the series exists and is a reason to have a One, similar to what Nintendo did with Prime for the Switch. I feel like Microsoft, even as they claim the One X is not a brand new console iteration, still were hoping that would be their major tentpole for their conference. I'm confounded by their logic.

• That all being said, I do think the first-party titles Microsoft had on display were pretty solid. I feel like there are way too many zombie apocalypse games out there, but the trailer for State Of Decay 2 intrigued me cause it feels like more of a story driven concept than something like 7 Days To Die or Dying Light. Kind of like if The Walking Dead were an open world game instead of the adventures that Telltale puts out. I hope it does enough to differentiate itself from the crowd.

• Sea Of Thieves also looks interesting and kind of like the pirate game that Mike said he wanted. I am interested to know if there's any kind of story to the game or if it's mission based or just open exploration, but so far the gameplay looks solid and they've nailed the pirate feel at least. Frankly, I'm just glad to see Rare making an actual game again, instead of Kinect Sports. I hope it does well for them and is the start of better things to come.

• Between Ori 2, Super Lucky's Tale, and Cuphead, I'm glad to see that Microsoft is satisfying demand for platformers of all shapes and sizes. Cuphead's style and gameplay has always intrigued me and I'm super happy a release date is finally confirmed, cause I know it's coming for Steam too, so I can still play it. I'm sure Ori 2 will follow Ori 1 on Steam as well. Unsure about Super Lucky's Tale, but I hope so, cause it reminds me a lot of a cross between Banjo and Croc and that hits all the right buttons for me. Viva la platformer revolución!

Sony:

Spoiler
  • So I'm still confused about Uncharted: Lost Legacy. Is this DLC for Uncharted 4 or a standalone game? Cause I read that it was an expansion pack but the way it's been billed and packaged, it feels like a brand new game. It looks compelling in any case, but I'm curious how long it is? I guess it technically doesn't matter since I have no way to play it, but as a gamer I ask these questions anyway.

• Returning to what I said above about zombie apocalypses, Days Gone looks compelling and entertaining but how many zombie games do we really need? I realize they all play somewhat different and take different approaches, but they all start to blend together after a while anyway. That said, I'll still keep watch on how this turns out. Like State Of Decay 2, I hope it differentiates itself enough to earn consideration. I do also hope though that companies start to look for other settings for narratives in the future, just to give zombies a bit of a rest.

• I'm surprised no one has talked about the remake of Shadow Of The Colossus and how absolutely awesome it looks. I'm honestly surprised this was even in the works but my feeling about this is the same as with the Nintendo remakes: it reintroduces the game to a new audience, and in this case gives an underrated gem a new lease on life by allowing people to rediscover it. I'm excited and it looks beautiful.

• I've always thought that the God Of War games were really cool for epic boss battles, intense action, and some loose but interesting takes on mythology but this might be the first God Of War game that's struck me as emotionally compelling. I feel like this game might not just be about Kratos' relationship with his son, but also about him being able to put his own past behind him to be the father he needs to be. I'm very intrigued to see how this plays out and how they incorporate this into the gameplay. Will his son be used like a second player? Can you command him to do things? So many possibilities.

• Detroit looks interesting with a solid premise but Mike's comments in particular about Quantic Dream concern me both on a practical and a philosophical level. Practical because it is technically true that Quantic Dream's output has been kind of hit or miss for all their ambition. Indigo Prophecy was fun for the first half and then become an incoherent mess. I haven't played Beyond, but I've heard similar things. And this premise feels like the kind that could easily go off the rails. On the other hand, I realize that Mike's concern is more about the core gameplay, and I feel Quantic Dream and Telltale are in a similar boat as companies that are more about pushing interactive narrative than gameplay style. I don't think that should change because not every company is pushing that kind of experience and I think it's important that kind of experience exists somewhere in the gaming landscape. I really hope this game turns out as intriguing as it appears from the trailer, so we can get more of this in the future.

• Spider-Man looks breathtaking and I want it inside me now. It looks very Arkham-inspired in gameplay structure but that's absolutely fine and dandy cause it looks like they're taking that and gearing it toward Spider-Man's unique move-set so it doesn't just feel like Spider-Bat. If that was actual gameplay and that level of differentiation in approach is possible with Spidey's attacks and movement... this could be...wait for it...AMAZING. I also do hope like Mike does that they only choose villains to fit the story and not stuff ones in for the sake of having them, but I also wouldn't mind having some side missions like the Arkham games have to include some lesser known villains. "Stop Shocker from robbing a bank" doesn't have to integrate into the main plot, but we'll see what happens. I'm looking forward to it.

Third Party Stuff:

Spoiler
  • Of the games Microsoft showed that weren't One exclusive, I'm excited for Life Is Strange 2 (I still need to get around to playing through the first one), Shadow Of War, Metro: Exodus, and Assassin's Creed: Origins. The latter has me intrigued with the Egyptian setting that I don't think a lot of games really touch, so it's nice to see that kind of world represented and I'm curious how it will fit into the Assassin's Creed style of gameplay. Metro looks really cool and I still need to work through the first two games in the series. I am so terrible with my backlog.

• The Last Night and The Artful Escape both intrigue me with the combination of a beautiful high-quality graphical style mixed with two-dimensional art that in the former's case appears to be pixel art if I'm not mistaken. Interesting design choice, and it's that alone that draws me to them without knowing what the games are really about, but from what I understand both are meant to be adventure platformers, which makes them right up my alley. I am keeping my eye on them since they're both coming to Steam.

• Code Vein seems cool. Dystopian evironment, anime vampires, and RPG made by the creators of God Eater? Seems like a good combination to me. It's supposed to be coming to PC too, but I can't tell if it's for Steam or not. Hoping so. I can't get enough JRPG in my life.

• Bioware's Anthem looks really beautiful, fluid, and exciting, but I do also see where a lot of the Destiny comparisons are coming from. With Destiny 2 promising to have a deeper story focus, I'm curious if Anthem will also have a compelling plotline to go with the multiplayer shenanigans, especially since up until now Bioware's games have been pretty well known for being plot heavy. Very eager to find out more about this one.

• Battlefront seemed cool enough to me when I watched Achievement Hunter play through it, but the lack of a single-player campaign turned me off. Since Battlefront II is adding one, I'm curious to find out if it's solid or just an afterthought. I would love for a thrilling Star Wars story experience with the Battlefront gameplay and engine, but if it's just a bare bones campaign then I'll continue to give it a pass.

• A Way Out looks intriguing to me and the fact that the guys who made Brothers are making this piques my interest more, but I feel like this is one game I will probably end up watching other people play on Youtube since it's co-op only. It's a really cool idea though, teaming up with a buddy to help each other through the game. I'm not sure how the split screen will work in practice, but on paper it looks awesome.

• I'm not sure there will ever come a day where I can afford to have and use VR, but I'm glad that Bethesda is helping bring full-fledged AAA games to that world. I am really interested to see how Fallout 4 and Skyrim get recreated in VR and what people think of the experience. Also on a VR note, I want to keep an eye on Transference because I have no idea what Elijah Wood is talking about, but I like where his head is at, and I'm curious to find out what he and his team builds. It sounds like a mindfuck, and I love a good mindfuck.

• The Evil Within 2 looks absolutely creepy and weird and awesome, and I want to know who made that cover of Ordinary World for the trailer. Also surprised that it's coming out so relatively soon since it was just announced. Also, what's up with that Westworldy white goop?

• I have never really been interested in a Wolfenstein game before besides some passing interest in getting The New Blood on sale, but now I'm going to have to rethink my stance as Wolfenstein II looked rock solid and intense, and seemed like it had a little more of a plot than I thought it would considering the franchise. I'm going to keep an eye on it. Should I look into The New Blood?

• Far Cry 5 continues to interest me more and more with their approach to this iteration. I'm very curious as to how it all pans out and what the reception will be to the locale and the plot thread. It kind of seems like it couldn't come out at a more appropriate time.

• I'm of mixed feelings regarding Beyond Good And Evil 2. Don't get me wrong, the trailer looks amazing and I'm super excited that it's still a thing that's being made. I'm eager to get more information on it. On the other hand, it's confirmed as a prequel, and being so far removed in time and space from the original game (literally and figuratively), I have to wonder just how much it's worth calling this Beyond Good and Evil 2 and not just starting over with a new title. I'm curious what makes this Beyond Good And Evil 2 and not just Beyond Good And Evil: The Reboot? And since the original was largely a platformer adventure, I have to wonder what form this game will take in gameplay. Will it be the same but more modern? Or will we see a total genre shift altogether to fit today's times? So many unanswered questions... but I'm still glad this is happening.

• Monster Hunter coming to PS4 and One I know is a big deal and all, and the game does look cool for what it's worth, but I've never played a Monster Hunter game before and they don't look like they're really big on story. Without something compelling me to move forward in the game, I'm not sure how much enjoyment I'd get out of it. What's the dillio from someone who's played them? What's the hook?

And that I think about covers it. I'm sure there are more games that will be announced in the coming days, at least based on what I read on E3's website, so I may end up adding to this list.

I think all three companies had cool stuff to show even as they lacked in their approach. I think Microsoft relied too much on third-party software, Nintendo not enough (although they're trying), and Sony showed a lot of stuff we kind of already knew about.

Even still, it looks like it's going to be an action-packed future for everyone.

Looks like it'll play in mostly the same manner of the first game, but with a lot more polish and maybe more of a horror slant. This is good--a few coats of polish and a better story were what the first game was lacking, because the game design really was a breath of fresh air and it's a shame that the weaknesses caused so many people to miss that. It looks like they learned from their mistakes, which also hopefully means no awful Outlast knockoff opening level that probably got many to give the game up right off the bat. 

@pen

- Zombie games: I too am very sick of zombie games. I will give The Last of Us credit though because the enemies play differently from most zombie games and instead of the creators being lazy like The Walking Dead, Naughty Dog actually gave an explanation where the infected came from and its explanation was something I'd already heard of well before the game came out because it's based on a real thing and it was the most fascinating science story I'd ever read so of course I remembered it when TLOU came out and really liked it. Days Gone seems to be doing things differently as well with the World War Z horde style of enemies. But apparently the E3 footage was endgame stuff and the hordes you face earlier in the game are much smaller.

- VR: I really haven't been paying any attention to VR stuff. This just seems like the latest gaming gimmick that is going to fade away like motion controllers, motion cameras and other crap seen over the years. Sure the immersion is probably good but I have no interest in paying an arm and a leg for that and having to wear a big uncomfortable headset as well. And I can't speak for the expensive headsets but the Gear VR that came with my Galaxy S7 sucks. A co-worker of mine was hyping it up like crazy. He said once you put the headset on it feels like you're in that place. Bullshit. The left lens kept getting blurry when you breathe, by far my biggest complaint with the headset. The quality of the videos wasn't that good to fool me into thinking I was there. It got a little blurry as you moved your head around. 

- Uncharted: So this is a single player campaign expansion that originally required the Uncharted 4 disc but now is standalone so you can buy it separately. I think the first time I saw something like this was with Infamous: First Light which didn't require Second Son. It's a smart business move because I had already traded in Second Son because I pretty much did everything in the game and if that expansion wasn't standalone, I wouldn't have bought Infamous 3 again to play it. Because it could be bought by itself, I (and many others I'm assuming) were able to buy the game. I saw an interview with Naughty Dog and they said this new Uncharted campaign is getting bigger and bigger. I think they said something like 6-8 hours but don't quote me on that and I do know for a fact they said the game features the biggest Uncharted level ever. I won't be playing it as I don't care about and barely remember the boring main characters. If it was a Sully prequel or something I'd have more interest. But don't overlook this game...expansion or not, Naughty Dog will release this and its campaign will still probably be better than most other games coming out for the rest of the year.

- Wolfenstein: So last-gen they rebooted Wolfenstein and this was my first time playing the game. The first game was average. They really embraced being over-the-top with The New Order. That was a much better game but I still wasn't a huge fan of the gameplay. The Old Blood was a standalone expansion for that. I never played it. I don't think you'll need any knowledge of this franchise to know what's going on story-wise in the new game.

- Monster Hunter: I haven't played any of these games either but I imagine the appeal is like Pokemon...to collect the creatures. Outside of trying Pokemon Go for two minutes, I've never played a Pokemon game either so I could be totally wrong that being the appeal of both franchises.

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

@pen

- VR: I really haven't been paying any attention to VR stuff. This just seems like the latest gaming gimmick that is going to fade away like motion controllers, motion cameras and other crap seen over the years. Sure the immersion is probably good but I have no interest in paying an arm and a leg for that and having to wear a big uncomfortable headset as well. And I can't speak for the expensive headsets but the Gear VR that came with my Galaxy S7 sucks. A co-worker of mine was hyping it up like crazy. He said once you put the headset on it feels like you're in that place. Bullshit. The left lens kept getting blurry when you breathe, by far my biggest complaint with the headset. The quality of the videos wasn't that good to fool me into thinking I was there. It got a little blurry as you moved your head around. 

- Uncharted: So this is a single player campaign expansion that originally required the Uncharted 4 disc but now is standalone so you can buy it separately. I think the first time I saw something like this was with Infamous: First Light which didn't require Second Son. It's a smart business move because I had already traded in Second Son because I pretty much did everything in the game and if that expansion wasn't standalone, I wouldn't have bought Infamous 3 again to play it. Because it could be bought by itself, I (and many others I'm assuming) were able to buy the game. I saw an interview with Naughty Dog and they said this new Uncharted campaign is getting bigger and bigger. I think they said something like 6-8 hours but don't quote me on that and I do know for a fact they said the game features the biggest Uncharted level ever. I won't be playing it as I don't care about and barely remember the boring main characters. If it was a Sully prequel or something I'd have more interest. But don't overlook this game...expansion or not, Naughty Dog will release this and its campaign will still probably be better than most other games coming out for the rest of the year.

- Monster Hunter: I haven't played any of these games either but I imagine the appeal is like Pokemon...to collect the creatures. Outside of trying Pokemon Go for two minutes, I've never played a Pokemon game either so I could be totally wrong that being the appeal of both franchises.

1. I feel like there's definitely more to it than a motion control gimmick, but you're right in that the price point is just really too high to gamble on which I think is going to make it difficult to catch on unless there's really great word of mouth. But the fact that we're seeing games like Resident Evil 7, Skyrim, and Fallout 4, real, big games that really work independently of the VR factor, but still stand to gain a lot from the added immersion, is definitely a step in the right direction.

2. I wasn't really at all interested in the game (largely for the same reason you have, but also a general fatigue of the third-person action games that've been Sony's bread and butter for the past two generations, which also kind of hurt my excitement for Spider-Man) but I will say the trailer at the start of E3 sort of hooked me. It does still look like same old Uncharted, but it highlighted a gray morality to Chloe's character that they never really committed to with Nathan, despite strongly hinting at it the last two games. I think she could turn out being a more interesting main character than you'd think. And 6-8 hours is like 2/3 of a full Uncharted game (I think the first one was right around that length actually).

3. I haven't played Monster Hunter either, but having played plenty of Pokemon and having watched the two minutes of Monster Hunter gameplay from E3, I feel pretty good about you being way off on both accounts here.

I don't know why Sony is getting criticized for not allowing PS4 cross-play with Xbox. This is just Microsoft in a distant second place wanting to be associated with the #1 video game console. And who is Microsoft kidding...if this was last-gen when they were on top and Sony came up to them and wanted to link PSN to XBL, Microsoft would've told Sony to go fuck themselves. Gamers just think it's cool to be playing with people on another system. There is no actual benefit to it. No matter how few people are playing any game, you're never gonna run out of people to play with on one console.

And then there's Minecraft. Now I understand merging all the versions under one game will allow for way more stuff available to players, but I don't blame Sony for not allowing that either. Microsoft owns Minecraft? Why would they held a Microsoft-owned game? Sure it helps PS4 players but it's not like there's not a bunch of customization stuff from Minecraft available to them already. 

@Mike @Ruiner Thank you gentlemen, for your responses.

To Ruiner, I just watched that Evil Within 2 trailer and it looks absolutely bonkers and exactly like the kind of game I will buy because it's awesome but never play until I hate myself enough to scare that much shit out of me. And I mean that literally, cause it'll be just like the first one, both Amnesia games, Outlast... I think I'm stockpiling horror games for the day when my life depends on it. I can't imagine what day that would be.

To Mike, the Achievement Hunter guys I watch on Youtube do a segment almost every week called VR The Champions where they play a VR game for about a half hour or so, and after having watched several episodes, my opinion of VR is that it's not a gimmick or if it is one, it's one that's bred a lot of interesting ideas and I think it's ready to break out as a significant source of content. I know on Steam almost every other game I see lately has VR on some level but I think we're still on the cusp of seeing true AAA titles hit VR, and I think that will be a great day.

VR is way too expensive right now to be feasible for the common consumer and frankly, while I'm sorry you had the VR experience you did, I'm pretty sure it's more a matter of the tech you were using not being up to snuff than VR as a whole being bad. To get the most out of VR you really need to invest in high-quality hardware. Hopefully over time that will change to become more affordable, and I believe that it will as more and more developers explore the options and capabilities. I find the possibilities exciting, honestly.

On Wolfenstein, can you elaborate on what you didn't like about the gameplay in The New Order? I'm still considering whether I should get it on sale just cause.

I also agree with Ruiner that I don't think you collect the monsters in Monster Hunter, I think you just hunt them down, which I'd think would appeal to a completely different audience than the ones who capture Pokemon. Can you imagine a Pokemon Hunter game though? That would be interesting...

Also, on the topic of Sony's criticism, I read an article last night about that and you're pretty much right in that Sony absolutely doesn't have to support cross play since they're the dominant market and Microsoft and Nintendo need to make up ground, so it makes sense for them to collude and help each other. At the same time, the alternate point I've read from many Sony fans is that it feels like Sony is getting arrogant about their place in the world and thus don't feel the need to benefit their own fan-base. It does kind of suck knowing that unless your friends have a PS4, you can't share adventures with them. 

I will also say that considering how huge Minecraft is in today's world, doing anything that limits the user experience in that game in comparison to other versions is not a smart business move. I think sometimes in business you have to make decisions that benefit the consumer to keep them satisfied, or you run the risk of people stacking criticisms against you. I'm not saying Sony's in danger of that, but if they keep not playing ball, then maybe? I can see where both sides are coming from on this.

27 minutes ago, pen said:

@Mike @Ruiner Thank you gentlemen, for your responses.

To Ruiner, I just watched that Evil Within 2 trailer and it looks absolutely bonkers and exactly like the kind of game I will buy because it's awesome but never play until I hate myself enough to scare that much shit out of me. And I mean that literally, cause it'll be just like the first one, both Amnesia games, Outlast... I think I'm stockpiling horror games for the day when my life depends on it. I can't imagine what day that would be.

To Mike, the Achievement Hunter guys I watch on Youtube do a segment almost every week called VR The Champions where they play a VR game for about a half hour or so, and after having watched several episodes, my opinion of VR is that it's not a gimmick or if it is one, it's one that's bred a lot of interesting ideas and I think it's ready to break out as a significant source of content. I know on Steam almost every other game I see lately has VR on some level but I think we're still on the cusp of seeing true AAA titles hit VR, and I think that will be a great day.

VR is way too expensive right now to be feasible for the common consumer and frankly, while I'm sorry you had the VR experience you did, I'm pretty sure it's more a matter of the tech you were using not being up to snuff than VR as a whole being bad. To get the most out of VR you really need to invest in high-quality hardware. Hopefully over time that will change to become more affordable, and I believe that it will as more and more developers explore the options and capabilities. I find the possibilities exciting, honestly.

On Wolfenstein, can you elaborate on what you didn't like about the gameplay in The New Order? I'm still considering whether I should get it on sale just cause.

I also agree with Ruiner that I don't think you collect the monsters in Monster Hunter, I think you just hunt them down, which I'd think would appeal to a completely different audience than the ones who capture Pokemon. Can you imagine a Pokemon Hunter game though? That would be interesting...

Also, on the topic of Sony's criticism, I read an article last night about that and you're pretty much right in that Sony absolutely doesn't have to support cross play since they're the dominant market and Microsoft and Nintendo need to make up ground, so it makes sense for them to collude and help each other. At the same time, the alternate point I've read from many Sony fans is that it feels like Sony is getting arrogant about their place in the world and thus don't feel the need to benefit their own fan-base. It does kind of suck knowing that unless your friends have a PS4, you can't share adventures with them. 

I will also say that considering how huge Minecraft is in today's world, doing anything that limits the user experience in that game in comparison to other versions is not a smart business move. I think sometimes in business you have to make decisions that benefit the consumer to keep them satisfied, or you run the risk of people stacking criticisms against you. I'm not saying Sony's in danger of that, but if they keep not playing ball, then maybe? I can see where both sides are coming from on this.

I take it you've played the first Evil Within? I really didn't find it especially scary, especially compared to the games you mentioned. The enemy design was pretty creepy, but I mostly enjoyed it for the game design rather than anything else. Things like the upgrade system and the way limb damage worked and the AI are what really made it a treat for me. 

24 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

I take it you've played the first Evil Within?

No, I just own it. I haven't started it. It's nice to hear though that it's not especially scary, although then again our mileages may vary in that field.

17 minutes ago, pen said:

No, I just own it. I haven't started it. It's nice to hear though that it's not especially scary, although then again our mileages may vary in that field.

It's too outlandish and Japanese to be truly frightening, to me. It's definitely more of an action-horror game. 

1 hour ago, pen said:

1. On Wolfenstein, can you elaborate on what you didn't like about the gameplay in The New Order?

2. I've read from many Sony fans is that it feels like Sony is getting arrogant about their place in the world

1. It just felt a little weird to me. You play a big name shooter and it feels really precise. The gunplay in The New Order felt odd, not as tight as it needed to be. I'd move to the right a little and the aim would go further than I wanted it too.

2. I feel like this is always the case with the top dog. After PS2's dominance, Sony had a shitty, super cocky attitude going into the PS3 launch. When asked about the 360 launching a year before them, they said "the next generation begins when we say it does." Totally underestimating their competition. They had the balls to charge $200 more than the 360 for a console that was a barren wasteland when it came to a respectable game library for about two years. And then Microsoft this generation is still paying for their mistakes of the Xbox One launch. Their cocky attitude after being on top...forcing everyone to buy Kinect, forcing these radical new gaming policies on people without even explaining what they were. It'd be nice if a console maker could be the king of the world and not turn into a prick.

Monster Hunter is more a hardcore action RPG than anything like Pokemon.  I'm sure someone who's actually played it could sum it up better but from what I know it's a fairly difficult and methodical game with incredible moments of payoff.

Honestly I feel like Ruiner would love it.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Monster Hunter is more a hardcore action RPG than anything like Pokemon.  I'm sure someone who's actually played it could sum it up better but from what I know it's a fairly difficult and methodical game with incredible moments of payoff.

Honestly I feel like Ruiner would love it.

The way you describe it sounds appealing and I did think the E3 trailer looked really cool. I might have to give it a whirl. 

This looks fucking awesome. The art style is great. I love how it's slower-paced with a big focus on discovering secrets in the environment. Honestly, this may sound weird, but I'm actually looking forward to this more than Super Mario Odyssey. My one concern is there is a lot of aiming in this game and I'm worried that they'll force you to use the joy-cons for that, even though you could easily aim with the sticks on the pro controller.