Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

E3 2017

82 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

1. This native vs. upscaled 4K discussion just seems like splitting hairs to me. It reminds me of the native vs. upscaled 1080p debate from last generation when everyone was comparing side-by-side images and videos and you couldn't even tell the difference.

2. Except the difference is that a low tier PC won't be able to run a graphically intense new game where even the oldest Xbox One will be able to run all of the new games.

1. If they natively make 4K textures you can absolutely tell the difference.

2. Today's Low Tier gaming PC's can run whatever game you want. It just won't look as good, or run as well. And the Xbox One can run all the new games*

*Until a new system comes out and they stop making games for the Xbox One.

The insufferable Aisha Tyler will apparently not be hosting the Ubisoft press conference this year so for the first time ever their press conference might be watchable.

Mario + Rabbids looks awesome! Kinda like XCOM only not super hardcore tactical.

Even though it's out only a week before Destiny, I think I might still buy it at launch. It's a different enough game and I can play it when I need a break from Destiny. Plus I'll have it for over a week before the big D comes out. 

- Beyond Good & Evil 2: I saw it said Ubisoft Montpellier at the beginning of the trailer and I thought to myself "oh my, could this be IT?" Then I saw the pig and I thought this has to be it. It seems a little too vulgar for BG&E and I do wish they kept the art style of the first one but I was aware from all the leaked stuff over the years that the art style is changing. I'm okay with it being a prequel and starring new people. I imagine they only stuck the 2 at the end of the title even though it's a prequel because the title is long enough as it is without a subtitle and calling it BG&E 0 would force them to lead into the first one. My main concern is that the monkey and the girl seemed very unlikable. I actually thought the monkey was a villain at the beginning of the trailer. I'm still excited that the game is alive and well.

- Skull & Bones: My idea of a fun pirate game is on your ship a little but mostly exploring undiscovered islands in an open-world. Ubisoft comes along and makes a PvP Assassin's Creed naval combat game. That looks horrible. The naval combat is right up there with the stealth as the worst gameplay elements of AC games.

- Far Cry 5: This looked like a lot of fun. I'm glad a lot of games are slipping into that early 2018 release window. There's going to be a lot of stuff to play early next year. Oh and how about the dog delivering a machine gun to the player. Great stuff lol.

Anthem looks incredible. At the same time, I'm trying not to get too excited - It looked like a scripted part of the game, so I'm cautiously optimistic. 

Days Gone looks sort of fun but the prominence of it at these conferences is bewildering

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

Is there minimal sound or is my stream bad?

Mine is fine. 

Yeah, Days Gone is a pretty game but doesn't seem nearly as innovative/exciting as they're trying to sell it as. 

Holy shit what a weak show. And such a flat ending. "True exclusive from one of the most respected developers" makes you excited for a big Sucker Punch or From Software reveal to end it, and it's just Spider-Man. Is there some fall show they're saving stuff for? This is so confusing. Did they announce ANYTHING? 

For pros, I did like the game-game-game-game structure in theory, though it kind of backfires when most of the games you're showing aren't that exciting. And the showmanship was pretty remarkable. 

It was an okay show. Definitely disappointing. Spider-Man was the best of show and looked awesome. The two main things I wanted to see from that was combat and traversal and they both looked fun. The combat seems kinda like Arkham only countering bullet shots instead of attacks. The traversal in smaller areas seems kinda like the grappling hook in Batman a little and the traversal outside with buildings looks really good. The graphics of New York look amazing. I hope they don't cram in every villain just for the sake of cameos. I hope they create a story for their own Spider-Man universe and introduce new things from the comics where appropriate. I'm hoping this is a long-term franchise. Spider-Man seems like a superhero made for video games and it's crazy that there has never really been many great Spider-Man games. Now that a good developer is on the job, I have confidence that Spider-Man will finally get the great game that he deserves. I feel like we saw just enough gameplay for the time being. This is probably my most anticipated game of 2018.

Days Gone looked good but I was really surprised by how little we saw of it. I couldn't believe they cut away when they did. We didn't even see any shooting against human enemies or zombies. That's a cause for concern for me. It's like they're hiding a weakness in gameplay. I also didn't like how they have to incorporate that stupid video game help cam (aka detective mode). Why must a lot of games use that nowadays? And I understand why Sony is hyping this up like a big deal. The Last of Us comparisons are definitely there and clearly they're looking at it like another big AAA franchise like that. It'd be funny if in Days Gone there is a big twist that it takes place in the same universe as TLOU.

God of War is probably just a rental for me but I still thought it looked really good...and that's saying something cause a few years ago I never imagined myself planning on playing another God of War game again. Kratos on his quest for vengeance got so old in the other games and I'm glad this game has a focus on the emotional side of Kratos that we saw in the best God of War games (that being the first one and Ghost of Sparta).

Detroit looked good but I'll remain extremely skeptical until I play it for myself and can confirm if those developers have learned how to make good gameplay or not.

One thing that really annoyed me...the fucking stream. I was on the official PlayStation stream, the Twitch stream. I was streaming on Twitch and YouTube and multiple times throughout the show it messed up for me. I almost blew a gasket when it briefly stopped during the Spider-Man gameplay. People can act like TV is some archaic piece of technology but it's a great feeling knowing that I can watch the Xbox press conferences every year on TV not having to worry about some unreliable internet stream. I wish Sony would get their E3 press conferences on TV somewhere.

Wait a minute why did it take me a whole day to see this amazing trailer? 

The announcement alone is rather exciting, but sweet Jesus that trailer is great. Reminds me of the first Dead Rising teaser. I wonder if the graphics are actually that hugely improved from the first game. Also love the release date. You barely have to wait! 

27 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

And such a flat ending. "True exclusive from one of the most respected developers" makes you excited for a big Sucker Punch or From Software reveal to end it, and it's just Spider-Man.

Ending the show with some From Software game would be about as flat an ending as you could get. I can't comment on From Software personally as I don't give a shit about anything they make and don't play their stuff but as for Sucker Punch, with the exception of Infamous 3 and First Light, Insomniac has released much better games over the years than Sucker Punch has and is probably a more esteemed developer.

21 minutes ago, Mike said:

Ending the show with some From Software game would be about as flat an ending as you could get. And while I can't comment on From Software personally as I don't give a shit about anything they make and don't play their stuff, with the exception of Infamous 3 and First Light, Insomniac has released much better games over the years than Sucker Punch has and is probably a more esteemed developer.

I'm not trying to give Insomniac the shaft here, but the difference is that this is a game everybody has known about for months and also had a pretty good idea of how it would play. I guarantee you Bloodborne 2 or Infamous 4 (or a new IP from either developer) would've gotten a much larger reaction than what we got. You're definitely letting your dumb attitude about From paint your viewpoint, since Bloodborne was actually considered one of the PS4's bigger system movers in terms of exclusive apps. Case in point, some sales figures:

Ratchet and Clank: 2.13 million

Infamous Second Son: 2.82 million

Bloodborne: 2.71 million

20 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

Case in point, some sales figures:

Ratchet and Clank: 2.13 million

Infamous Second Son: 2.82 million

Bloodborne: 2.71 million

That Ratchet & Clank game was a movie tie-in that came out a month before Uncharted 4. Obviously it wasn't going to be a huge seller. And the Ratchet & Clank franchise has been around for 15 years and has sold 26 million games. Let's not act like it's some minor league franchise here. And I don't even know why you brought up sales figures in the first place. When you were talking about respected developers, I assumed you were talking about the quality of their work, not sales figures. 

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

That Ratchet & Clank game was a movie tie-in that came out a month before Uncharted 4. Obviously it wasn't going to be a huge seller. And the Ratchet & Clank franchise has been around for 15 years and has sold 26 million games. Let's not act like it's some minor league franchise here. And I don't even know why you brought up sales figures in the first place. When you were talking about respected developers, I assumed you were talking about the quality of their work, not sales figures. 

I wasn't talking about which developer is more respected, all three developers are obviously highly respected (as well as Naughty Dog, had they shown The Last of Us Part 2). I was just saying that Spider-Man gameplay was a pretty flat ending, and you said that announcements to sequels to two of the PS4's top exclusive titles would've been more flat, which just isn't true.

But if we are ranking them against each other, if you want to disregard the Ratchet and Clank game's sales, the other recent example is Sunset Overdrive, which is less than half of that. In the year 2017, I do believe there is more interest in a new From Software game than a new Insomniac title. Maybe Sucker Punch too, given that Second Son was kind of a mild disappointment both commercially and critically. The only exclusives I can summon to mind that sold much better than Bloodborne are Uncharted (duh) and weirdly enough, Horizon Zero Dawn, which is apparently a really big hit, having already moved over 3 million units.

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Let's not forget the biggest news of the Sony show tonight...

48 glorious hours earlier than the initial release date.

still like two months earlier than the PC release though :(

I thought Sony had a great show, personally.  Monster Hunter was a pretty huge reveal I didn't see coming at all, and Spider-Man looks fucking awesome.