Followers 0
Mike

E3 2017

82 posts in this topic

E3-2017-Schedule_Press-Conference_Top.jp

(All times Eastern)
Electronic Arts – Saturday at 3:00 p.m.
Microsoft – Sunday at 5:00 p.m.
Bethesda Softworks – Monday at 12:00 a.m.
PC Gaming Show – Monday at 1:00 p.m.
Ubisoft – Monday at 4:00 p.m.
Sony – Monday at 9:00 p.m.
Nintendo – Tuesday at 12:00 p.m.

Random thoughts...

- I'm not really excited about E3 this year. The Destiny 2 reveal last month was basically my E3. I feel like there are no games I'm really looking forward to seeing at the show. I've already seen enough of Destiny 2. There's no Halo 6 announcement coming (no problem with this as there's no need for MS to always focus on Halo and start promoting a game a year-and-a-half out). A few games here and there I want to see but nothing I'm too excited about. Once the press conferences start I'll be more into it but as of now my excitement level is a lot lower than in previous years.

- Sony: I'd like to see some of The Last of Us 2 but I imagine Naughty Dog will be focusing on that dumb Uncharted 4 expansion instead. From interviews I've read, it's turned into a pretty big game and seeing as how it's already getting it's own release and isn't tied to Uncharted 4 (very smart move when single players expansions can be bought separately), I have a feeling it's going to be promoted as some big holiday release. I'd like to find out a lot more about Days Gone and I want some gameplay footage of Spider-Man and Death Stranding. And it's been almost three years since their last release...it's time to unveil what those masters of open-world gameplay Sucker Punch are up to. Sony E3 press conferences tend to drag on too long as they waste time with orchestras and other crap. Hopefully they streamline things this year.

- Microsoft: I've been really disappointed with Microsoft lately. They started this console generation strong with some good exclusives but it seems like those have dried up lately. Sea of Thieves looks cool (despite the fact that it's PvP) but having an E3 focused on just that and Crackdown is kind of weak from a games perspective. I imagine they'll be spending way too much time talking about Project Scorpio.

- Nintendo: I understand a lot of the focus will be on Arms (no interest), Splatoon 2 (almost no interest) and Super Mario Odyssey (some interest), but I hope we get some announcements for stuff coming in 2018. I'd really, really, really like a Metroid reveal and I hope it comes in early 2018. I also hope it's third-person but not sucky like Other M.

- Not like I really care what they're doing much but whose bright idea was it to have the Bethesda press conference at midnight on the east coast?

- My dream came true and I got a Halo Wars sequel. Now it's time for EA to make my other dream come true and bring back fucking MVP Baseball, dammit! 

You're right about Sony conferences generally speaking but last year was great. You're the only goof I've met who didn't think that orchestra intro was the shit. 

Sucker Punch's next game (Infamous 4?), at least a proper TLOU story trailer, and the announcement of a new From Software exclusive are at the top of my wishlist, plus maybe more from Shenmue 3. And, of course, Bully 2.

The big question for me is if the new game from From will be Bloodborne 2 or a new IP, and if a new IP, whether it'll be a spiritual successor. What I would want is a combination--Bloodborne 2 in name, themes, and a proper sequel in terms of gameplay mechanics, but an all new setting and story. A good analogy would be Bioshock to Bioshock Infinite. Miyazaki has said he'd like to do a sci-fi game, and I'd like to see that manifested by exploring the more cosmic horror aspects of Bloodborne. An aesthetic similar to SOMA would be terrific, but with horrifying otherworldly enemies instead of machines. 

I'd be thrilled if the long run time is actually because they need to cram in more games but I imagine Project Scorpio is the real reason why the press conference will be longer.

Also, I wish Microsoft kept their E3 press conferences on Mondays. I always love my Mondays off from work and watching the Xbox briefing in peace and quiet. Now it's on Sunday night and my house could potentially be loud as fuck when I need silence for my most anticipated thing at E3. And I don't get why E3 stuff is on Sunday and now even on Saturday. I think the official start day is Tuesday and it always seems like the fun is already over by the time the show officially starts.

- Microsoft's press conference will be 97 minutes long
- Nintendo's press conference YouTube video will be 25 minutes long

EA press conference stuff...

- NBA Live is back and a demo for NBA Live 18 is coming in August
- Teaser for new BioWare IP Anthem (Gameplay reveal coming during Xbox briefing tomorrow)
- Story mode coming to Madden 18

No fucking MVP Baseball announcement. It sucks that I'm going to have to go the rest of my life without ever enjoying another baseball or wrestling game.

EXTREMELY bad showing from Microsoft. That was just trailer after trailer of a bunch of games that didn't even need to be included in the press conference. This is Sony's E3 to lose now but they can just show off already announced games and still win E3. Other thoughts...

- Xbox One X doesn't interest me at all. I know everyone likes to buy new phones and consoles every year for miniscule improvements but I have no interest in spending $500 just four years after I spent $500 on the original Xbox One. Xbox One S was a fine mid-generation upgrade for new XB1 owners or others who want 4K. Xbox One X is just Microsoft trying to reboot the Xbox One brand after getting their ass kicked for four years. And seeing as how there will be no exclusive games to this system because it is NOT the next-gen Xbox console, I have no interest in it.

- I love the way the stage looks during Xbox press conferences. Sony press conferences look like they take place in old high school auditoriums but the Xbox press conferences look like some high-tech Apple event or something.

- The first hour was almost entirely all crap. What a way to kill the crowd right off the bat with another typical boring E3 Forza demo. People are there for games and are stuck seeing some stupid car on display that no one in the building can afford. And then may have taken a year off but Assassin's Creed looks just as crappy as it always does.

- The Last Night looks cool with its Blade Runner vibes it's giving off but I could do without the trendy pixelated graphics. Sea of Thieves looks fun. Old West games and especially pirate games are two potentially really fun types of games that are severely underrepresented in gaming. Ashen looks good. Some of the ID@Xbox games look good. Super Lucky's Tale looks fun and is a much-needed platformer on Xbox. I have very little interest in VR but Lucky's Tale was one of the only VR games I knew about that interested me. I've never had much interest in Crackdown but the new one looks good and it's cool Terry Crews is the star. Shadow of War looks solid. Anthem looks fun and you can tell Destiny was an inspiration. This is the Mass Effect trilogy team who worked on this game so it's not the people who made Andromeda.

Oh and there were two bullshit fake crowd reactions that annoyed me...

1. When they were going over the Xbox One X specs and the guy is like "Xbox One X will feature 6.9Q Terrafloppytits GPU+ of internal flux capacitor memory" and the crowd went nuts. Now I'm sure some of the people in the crowd knew what he was talking but it just seemed like a bullshit fanboy crowd reaction from most of them.

2. When they announced backwards compatibility for old crappy graphics original Xbox games no one is going to play and the crowd when nuts for stupid Crimson Skies like they're getting access to some legendary game.

Was that a new Dishonored game or was it a DLC? I was confused by it, but only caught it mid-way through. 

7 hours ago, Mike said:

And seeing as how there will be no exclusive games to this system because it is NOT the next-gen Xbox console, I have no interest in it.

This bothers me. It feels like the opposite issue of Nintendo when they released Wii U.

Nintendo released a new console but kept the old one's branding and that confused consumers because many people thought it was just an add-on peripheral instead of a full-fledged console.

By the opposite token, here Microsoft is touting this X-Box One X as the most powerful console on the market with specs that clearly surpass the One as it is and yet they're playing coy about whether or not there will be any exclusive titles. Basically shrugging shoulders and saying "people will do what people wanna do".

Answer me this, Microsoft. If this isn't the successor to the One and all games moving forward will run on both consoles, then what the fuck is the point of making it more powerful?

I get it, 4K, whoopdie-fucking-doo. But if the console itself has better specs, then logically developers will be able to do more in their games and I'm sure that eventually what will happen is that a game that will run great on the X will run like ass on the One. It's bound to happen. So saying there won't eventually be some exclusivity is a crock of shit.

Oh, and one more thing. X-Box One X is a fucking dumb name. Not only do I end up associating it with Three Days Grace, but it also verges on ATM machine territory. How are we going to abbreviate that, XOX? I get that they're keeping the One marketing but... I feel like the way they're positioning this is a mistake.

11 hours ago, Mike said:

So what is this new "launch exclusive" term that Xbox was using today? Is it just a timed exclusive with a more permanent sounding name?

Yes, this is likely what it is. Think 'Inside' last year, or 'Rise of the Tomb Raider' before it. 

Also, if they say Console Exclusive, that means it's not coming to any other console, but it will be on PC.

I never really understood the mixed messaging about Project Scorpio all this time. Microsoft was playing coy about whether or not it was their next-gen console and it seemed so obvious to me that it was your standard (albeit way more powerful) mid-generation upgrade that you also saw last generation. I'm pretty sure they said early on that all Xbox One games play on all systems, therefore the One X is simply that mid-gen upgrade. And Pen totally hit the nail on the head...if new games are going to have to limit themselves to also run on the OG XB1, then there is no point whatsoever for this new system. People can just buy the One S to get 4K if they desperately need it now and can't wait the whole 3 or 4 more years until the next-gen consoles come out. They should've just called this new system The New Rebooted Xbox One and then the slogan could've been "No longer bogged down by Kinect diverting resources."

I was at GameStop today trading something in and some doofus on the phone who apparently hasn't heard of the internet was asking the girl working there about Xbox One X and the girl admitted that she's an Xbox person and she told the guy one of the benefits of the system was "liquid cooling." Wow. That reminds me of when Echo was saying how awesome the power brick was going to be for XB1. I wonder if this girl was his girlfriend.

8 hours ago, pen said:

Oh, and one more thing. X-Box One X is a fucking dumb name. Not only do I end up associating it with Three Days Grace, but it also verges on ATM machine territory. How are we going to abbreviate that, XOX? I get that they're keeping the One marketing but... I feel like the way they're positioning this is a mistake.

I actually like the name. They kept things simple. You've got the standard Xbox One (which I don't even know if they sell anymore) and then the One S and One X. It seems clear that all of these systems are still part of the Xbox One family of systems and things don't get ridiculously confusing like New 2DS XL. And I don't think the comparisons to the Wii U apply here because that was a next-gen system with a last-gen name, while Xbox One X is clearly tied to the current-gen system because of it's name.

1 hour ago, TaNbULL said:

Yes, this is likely what it is. Think 'Inside' last year, or 'Rise of the Tomb Raider' before it. 

Also, if they say Console Exclusive, that means it's not coming to any other console, but it will be on PC.

It sucks that there are no true exclusives on Xbox anymore. PS4 owners must be laughing knowing that can just get a gaming PC and have access to every Xbox exclusive while Xbox owners spent $500 to buy a system where all the games are on PC. I wonder if Halo 6 is going to be cross-play with Windows 10. If it is cross-play, it's a MASSIVE loss for the Xbox brand as they're allowing every PS4 owner to get Xbox's biggest exclusive without having to buy an Xbox. But if it's not cross-play, then Microsoft looks like total hypocrites because they've been hyping up the importance of everything working with Windows 10. I think the uncertainty of what platform Halo 6 will be on played a part in it not appearing at E3 this year.

13 minutes ago, xeph said:

neeeeeeeed new Spiderman PS4 footage tonight. Pump it into my veins.

I don't understand the point of them releasing a trailer last E3 and then going an entire year with no new footage or news about the game. Why not just reveal the game tonight with the gameplay footage? I'm sick of games getting announced years in advance. I feel like no game should be announced more than six months before it's coming out. 

But yeah, this PS4 show is gonna be great tonight. No controversy with a bunch of bullshit, just awesome games. Spider-Man and God of War are clearly the headliners but there's still a bunch of stuff I'm looking forward to from them in addition to those two. The Last of Us 2, the Sucker Punch game, Death Stranding (supposedly not appearing but Kojima can't just be there for E3 Coliseum), Destiny 2 and the overlooked in all this madness...Days Gone, which I'm expecting to be awesome. And even though I haven't really liked Quantic Dream’s games, I do think Detroit: Become Human has a really interesting story...now if they can just figure out gameplay. 

Oh and even the Call of Duty presentation should be good this year believe it or not.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

And I don't think the comparisons to the Wii U apply here because that was a next-gen system with a last-gen name, while Xbox One X is clearly tied to the current-gen system because of it's name.

I don't understand how this isn't the same thing. One X is supposed to be the most powerful console in existence, right? Is that not implying next-gen hardware with a last-gen name? It feels like the same exact thing except in this case, Microsoft legitimately means for people to have that impression.

The whole thing still seems dumb to me.

1 hour ago, pen said:

Is that not implying next-gen hardware with a last-gen name?

Have they implied next-gen graphics? They showed off the specs at the beginning of the press conference but in the many months since Scorpio was announced I know that the vast majority of the talk right from the mouths of Microsoft has involved this system rendering games natively in 4K. All the stuff I've heard has been about 4K and not better graphics. They said stuff will look crisper but I haven't heard anything about next-gen graphics.

What I'd like to ask Microsoft...if I'm looking for a 4K Xbox, is it really worth over $200 extra to buy the One X over the One S?

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

Have they implied next-gen graphics? They showed off the specs at the beginning of the press conference but in the many months since Scorpio was announced I know that the vast majority of the talk right from the mouths of Microsoft has involved this system rendering games natively in 4K. All the stuff I've heard has been about 4K and not better graphics. They said stuff will look crisper but I haven't heard anything about next-gen graphics.

What I'd like to ask Microsoft...if I'm looking for a 4K Xbox, is it really worth over $200 extra to buy the One X over the One S?

Yes. The One S can't run the games at native 4K/60FPS. That's sort of the point of the One X. 

2 hours ago, pen said:

I don't understand how this isn't the same thing. One X is supposed to be the most powerful console in existence, right? Is that not implying next-gen hardware with a last-gen name? It feels like the same exact thing except in this case, Microsoft legitimately means for people to have that impression.

The whole thing still seems dumb to me.

This is different. They've been more than up front that ALL of your current games, accessories, etc. are compatible with each version of the Xbox One. It's just a PC approach to consoles now. Low tier PC (OG Xbox One)/Mid Tier PC (Xbox One S)/High Tier PC (Xbox One X.) That is, until they really do release the next system that isn't in the Xbox One family. 

4 minutes ago, TaNbULL said:

1. Yes. The One S can't run the games at native 4K/60FPS. That's sort of the point of the One X.

2. It's just a PC approach to consoles now. Low tier PC (OG Xbox One)/Mid Tier PC (Xbox One S)/High Tier PC (Xbox One X.)

1. This native vs. upscaled 4K discussion just seems like splitting hairs to me. It reminds me of the native vs. upscaled 1080p debate from last generation when everyone was comparing side-by-side images and videos and you couldn't even tell the difference.

2. Except the difference is that a low tier PC won't be able to run a graphically intense new game where even the oldest Xbox One will be able to run all of the new games.