Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brentcamp

CD Collecting

21 posts in this topic

Anyone know of a good online site to pick up/trade cds? I've used discogs, eBay, amazon, etc., but I'm thinking more along the lines of an online collecting message board or community or Facebook group. Figured I'd see what you all can recommend. 

1 hour ago, Tilley said:

People collect those things?  Mine have been collecting dust. 

One mans junk is another mans gold haha. Love throwing a bunch of great cds in my disc changer and playing full-discs all the way through. Little old school for sure.

Any discs you're looking to sell? 😀

Possibly.  I have quite the little collection of hard rock and metal.  300+ last I counted.  I have the occasional alternative and country record as well. 

2 hours ago, revlongoo said:

I donated all of my cd's a few years ago. I only kept one because I was thanked in the liner notes. 

You helped fund the album? Or you knew them?

I have a couple from Parabelle, that are signed and I'm thanked in the liner notes. It's only because I helped with funding.  Never have gotten the chance to see them live yet. 

I had quite the collection until 2008 when my big case was stolen out of my brother's car. After that...didn't really feel like starting over so I stopped buying CDs for the most part. Would have stopped eventually anyway as I had an iPod classic with all my music and installed a car radio with a USB port. I don't remember the last time I actually used a CD. 

I have a too-big CD collection on the other side of the country that I couldn't afford to have shipped here. I like having them, but when you don't drive a car there's really no circumstance where you use them, so I mostly buy everything digitally these days with vinyl for special occasions, which serves the purpose of adding sentimentality to owning the album more so than a CD does anyway. 

I've had this app on my phone for a while called Decluttr. You use the scanner on your phone to scan the bar codes of DVDs you have and it adds up their value to your account and then they send you a box and you put the DVDs in and send them out. They pay for shipping which is critical because shipping costs for sending out a box of DVDs would probably outweigh the money you get from selling them. I haven't started selling it but I've been meaning to.

I'm not real sentimental about objects and would have no problem selling my CDs. I haven't touched a CD in years and they're just sitting there collecting dust. I'm also a very streamlined type of person and don't like to leave extra crap lying around that I'll never use again. I'm also not concerned about losing my digital music as I have all my stuff stored in many locations (including the cloud) so the odds of losing all that stuff at once are virtually impossible. Even if I lost it all I'd just illegally download anything I wanted again. Is there any service like Decluttr for selling CDs?

EDIT: After looking at the Decluttr website, they actually do take your CDs as well. Excellent. I have some work to do...

I'm looking for harder to find cds (at least in my neck of the woods) from Defiance Pointe, Shaman's Harvest, Kopek, Cinder, Adelita's Way, 32 Leaves, Royal Bliss, Bulletproof Messenger, Hurt, Arco's Angel, Mercy Fall, Depswa, Element Eighty, Dark New Day, Dead Sara, Tremonti, Alter Bridge...to name a few. If anyone is looking to part with cds from these artists or similar artists, let me know.

2 hours ago, Tilley said:

Those kind of things usually offer you next to nothing.  

I'll scan a few things first to see what I can get. I'm not going to do it if I'm trading 100 CDs for $5. While I do want to get rid of all my CDs, there are only a handful of DVDs I want to get rid of. A few of my favorite movies I bought on Blu-ray when I got an HD TV so I'll get rid of the DVD versions and then there's some crap I got for gifts that I never watched like Christmas Vacation 2 that need to be dumped.

33 minutes ago, brentcamp said:

I'm looking for harder to find cds (at least in my neck of the woods) from Defiance Pointe, Shaman's Harvest, Kopek, Cinder, Adelita's Way, 32 Leaves, Royal Bliss, Bulletproof Messenger, Hurt, Arco's Angel, Mercy Fall, Depswa, Element Eighty, Dark New Day, Dead Sara, Tremonti, Alter Bridge...to name a few. If anyone is looking to part with cds from these artists or similar artists, let me know.

I have quite a few of those bands cds. Pm me and we can talk about them. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I'll scan a few things first to see what I can get. I'm not going to do it if I'm trading 100 CDs for $5. While I do want to get rid of all my CDs, there are only a handful of DVDs I want to get rid of. A few of my favorite movies I bought on Blu-ray when I got an HD TV so I'll get rid of the DVD versions and then there's some crap I got for gifts that I never watched like Christmas Vacation 2 that need to be dumped.

Let me know how much an average you get for your collection. I have probably about 800 CD's just collecting dust at my parents house for the last 13 years, so I could totally use the money back from them with that app.

You can use the Amazon app to sell some cds as well, but I was checking it out earlier and it didn't offer anything over 25 cents.  That's also just an estimated appraisal, it still has to be sent in and looked over. 

21 hours ago, Tilley said:

You helped fund the album? Or you knew them?

I have a couple from Parabelle, that are signed and I'm thanked in the liner notes. It's only because I helped with funding.  Never have gotten the chance to see them live yet. 

I worked for the band. 

On 6/4/2017 at 3:51 PM, brentcamp said:

I probably have advanced or demo versions of a few of these. I'll have to look though.

On 6/4/2017 at 3:59 AM, revlongoo said:

I donated all of my cd's a few years ago. I only kept one because I was thanked in the liner notes. 

I wish there was a way to search liner notes. Tunelab was thanked in a couple I didn't know about until somebody asked me, so I've always wondered if there are others.

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

I probably have advanced or demo versions of a few of these. I'll have to look though.

I wish there was a way to search liner notes. Tunelab was thanked in a couple I didn't know about until somebody asked me, so I've always wondered if there are others.

That would be great! Send me a PM when you've had a chance to look.