Followers 0
pen

MM2017 Round 1, Set 1: Banks vs. Capsize

MM2017   9 members have voted

This poll is closed for new votes
  1. 1. MM2017

• Banks - The Altar
    • Capsize - A Reintroduction: The Essence Of All That Surrounds Me

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 posts in this topic

51bssxMmibL._SS500.jpg

BANKS: THE ALTAR
Harvest
September 30th

Gemini Feed
Fuck With Myself
Lovesick
Mind Games
Trainwreck
This Is Not About Us
Weaker Girl
Mother Earth
Judas
Haunt
Poltergeist
To The Hilt

51eDlYjIGXL.jpg

CAPSIZE: A REINTRODUCTION: THE ESSENCE OF ALL THAT SURROUNDS ME
Equal Vision Records
July 22nd

XX (Sew My Eyes)
I Think It's Best We Don't Talk Anymore
Tear Me Apart
Favorite Secret
One Day I Won't Be So Easy To Forget
Safe Place
Split My Soul
Over You
You Got The Wrong Idea
The Same Pain

I really dug the Banks album and will be voting for it once the poll is opened, but we really might as well tear down the genre requirements if it's in this. I can think of multiple hip-hop and experimental albums I would've submitted that are closer to rock than Banks (which is really as far as you can get). 

22 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

I really dug the Banks album and will be voting for it once the poll is opened, but we really might as well tear down the genre requirements if it's in this. I can think of multiple hip-hop and experimental albums I would've submitted that are closer to rock than Banks (which is really as far as you can get). 

At first I had no idea what you were talking about by "once the poll is opened" and then I realized when I edited the post to fix an error it also deleted the poll. Thank you for semi-bringing this to my attention.

As for your complaint, even though I would really like to keep things as close to rock and alternative as possible, to be frank when I was collecting everyone's recommendations, I put them in the initial poll regardless of what it was on the basis that if people really wanted it in, then it should be in. That's why we have Aaron Lewis' country album in this tournament as well.

But that said, it's also got six degrees of separation from rock. Banks has been on the alternative rock charts before. "Beggin' For Thread" reached #11. Whether that says more about the state of alternative rock is a discussion for another time and place, but the point still stands.

22 minutes ago, pen said:

At first I had no idea what you were talking about by "once the poll is opened" and then I realized when I edited the post to fix an error it also deleted the poll. Thank you for semi-bringing this to my attention.

As for your complaint, even though I would really like to keep things as close to rock and alternative as possible, to be frank when I was collecting everyone's recommendations, I put them in the initial poll regardless of what it was on the basis that if people really wanted it in, then it should be in. That's why we have Aaron Lewis' country album in this tournament as well.

But that said, it's also got six degrees of separation from rock. Banks has been on the alternative rock charts before. "Beggin' For Thread" reached #11. Whether that says more about the state of alternative rock is a discussion for another time and place, but the point still stands.

T'wasn't a complaint, mostly just an observation. But point taken. 

I have to vote for Banks, partially because Capsize just doesn't do anything for me and Banks' songs feel like they have a strangely anti-pop feel to their pop mechanics and her videos are always compelling and strange.

Also, at the end of the Trainwreck video with that squeaky dummy, I lost it. Fucking hilarious.

Also, is it just me or does Banks have an odd fascination with mirrors and hands all over? Seems to be running themes in her videos.

I liked the singles I heard from Banks last album, but man... I couldn't tolerate these two songs at all. If I haven't mention before, I absolutely hate hate hate R&B music more than any other genre. Those two tracks fit into that category to me where I couldn't wait for them to end.

Capsize seems decently tolerable despite not being 100% my cup of tea. Not really too much for me to decide on here.