Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

Alien: Covenant SPOILER discussion

8 posts in this topic

I saw Alien: Covenant today. Sadly I was a little disappointed with it. I'm surprised I felt this way cause I never imagined the movie wouldn't at least be as good as Prometheus. My spoiler-filled thoughts are below...

- I was hugely intrigued by the ending of Prometheus with Elizabeth and David going to find the Engineer homeworld and get some answers and when David killed them all, it pretty much destroyed any chance this series had at featuring an interesting story going forward. Like where could they possibly go from here now? It's basically just going to be standard Alien movies now, right?

- I thought the first half-hour or so of the movie was really boring. Things didn't get good until they landed on the planet. And I didn't like the location where most of the movie took place in. The planet on the outside and that structure where David was staying were really boring. I was very happy when the action switched to inside the ship at the end cause that was a lot more interesting to me than the planet.

- Even with the missing hand, I didn't believe for a second that it wasn't David there at the end. I kinda figured the girl would discover his true identity while it was too late in her pod but I didn't like the way she found out. He could've simply said "okay" when she asked him to help build her cabin. It weird that he was a perfectly good liar until then. I thought she would've figured out who he was by seeing a hole under his chin where she stabbed him. That nail thingy was apparently her husbands so it would've served a bigger purpose if that is how she figured out who he was. And her knowing guarantees that she and the cowboy dude won't survive the trip to the new planet. And speaking of David's victims, I was kinda upset about the crappy ending that Elizabeth ended up getting.

- I was okay with the cast, no problems there, but I didn't quite think they were as good as the cast from Prometheus. And what was the point of James Franco being involved with this movie?

- It wasn't all bad...Michael Fassbender was fantastic as usual, the deaths were gruesome and wonderful and it was awesome to finally see the finished form of the scariest movie monster of all-time in all its glory.

I definitely liked it more than Prometheus, and more or less was fine with the dropped elements of that because it maintained the best elements (except for the cinematography, which, as you mentioned, is pretty boring). My hope is that Scott can better balance the elements of philosophizing and sci-fi horror in the future installments. Much of the alien stuff felt out of place, and kind of like Fox just offered Scott a bigger budget if he made it an Alien movie too. Both of these series should be better than goofy shit like the sex scene death, which feels like it's out of a Friday the 13th movie. 

But ultimately I still wish Scott was just committed to full on Prometheus films and somebody else could do Alien, because Alien is still getting the shit end of the stick even though the movie was good. I wish James Cameron would've never got his grubby hands on this series. 

2 hours ago, Ruiner said:

I wish James Cameron would've never got his grubby hands on this series. 

Not sure it's fair to blame the guy who made a good movie for all the bad ones...

7 minutes ago, pen said:

Not sure it's fair to blame the guy who made a good movie for all the bad ones...

It's not that it's his fault that the movies are bad, it's that he pretty much hijacked the IP with a more marketable movie (which was great for what it was, not bashing it) and turned it into something else and all these decades later there still hasn't been a proper sequel outside of a video game. It's hard to really wish it away, because given the state of film back then, there's a 99% chance that any other sequel would've been a crappy money grab, and Cameron's film was at least good, but I think having xenomorphs as the subject of a bug hunt action film did irreparable damage to them as scary antagonists. Not to mention the stupid Queen crap. 

I'd probably blame Fox more, really. Alien 3 was sorta better than Aliens, but the horrible production issues hindered it from being really great, and I think if Fincher had gotten what he was going for it would've revitalized the property in the right direction. 

Plot hole that the new movie creates...

"In the original Alien, the Nostromo intercepts a distress call from nearby planet LV-426 and the crew go to investigate. There they come across a crashed spaceship where they find two things of major importance. First is the Space Jockey, seemingly killed by a xenomorph bursting from his chest, who has been left on the planet long enough to become fossilized. The second is the ship’s hold, which contains thousands of facehugger eggs. What the film suggests, though, is pretty oblique: millennia ago an elephantine alien was attacked by his own cargo, presumed to be a biological weapon. In the new film we learn the explicit origin of the xenomorph: everything – the egg, the facehugger and the chestburster itself – is the product of android David’s genetic meddling on the Engineer homeworld. If the eggs were first made in the eleven-year gap between Prometheus (2093) and Covenant (2104), then how are they also on the derelict and able to kill the space jockey from over 1000 years prior?"

http://screenrant.com/alien-covenant-plot-hole-prometheus-derelict-xenomorph/

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Plot hole that the new movie creates...

"In the original Alien, the Nostromo intercepts a distress call from nearby planet LV-426 and the crew go to investigate. There they come across a crashed spaceship where they find two things of major importance. First is the Space Jockey, seemingly killed by a xenomorph bursting from his chest, who has been left on the planet long enough to become fossilized. The second is the ship’s hold, which contains thousands of facehugger eggs. What the film suggests, though, is pretty oblique: millennia ago an elephantine alien was attacked by his own cargo, presumed to be a biological weapon. In the new film we learn the explicit origin of the xenomorph: everything – the egg, the facehugger and the chestburster itself – is the product of android David’s genetic meddling on the Engineer homeworld. If the eggs were first made in the eleven-year gap between Prometheus (2093) and Covenant (2104), then how are they also on the derelict and able to kill the space jockey from over 1000 years prior?"

http://screenrant.com/alien-covenant-plot-hole-prometheus-derelict-xenomorph/

I've also heard it pointed out that in Prometheus there's a mural of the Xenomorph queen, Xenomorph soldier, and a facehugger, so the implication actually seems to be that the Engineers were already working on Xenomorphs and David is just following their example.