Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ruiner

NXT Takeover: Chicago

5 posts in this topic

Making a thread because holy crap that UK Championship match was fucking amazing. And I had not a lick of interest in the match going in and was checking my phone early on, but that was something special and it really won me over. Pete Dunne is terrific. And these guys are in their early 20s.

Not to mention the great commentary from JR and Nigel, better than 90% of WWE's recent commentary.

I don't know why NXT chooses not to do big angles more than once every two years because when they do it's wrestling at its very best. Ciampa and Gargano is going to be a tremendous feud, and that was played perfectly in every way. And super legit heel heat too. 

Easily my favorite Takeover in quite a while. An MOTY candidate, four very good matches, and one of the best heel turns in a very long time. 

So did nobody watch this? Y'all are missing out if you're still giving Raw chances but passed on this. 

Takeover was one of the best events I've seen in a long time.....

Bates vs. Dunne was easily MOTY for me thus far (I've only been watching WWE/NXT this year, I know there are better matches out there). *****

The ending had me heartbroken. My favorite tag team in the biz even before they were called DIY. I just loved them for their technical prowess. Their friendship was genuine and it just was a relationship that worked. The heel turn was probably one of the most hurtful for me as a fan. I'm super excited to see their matches to come.....but dammit do I really want to see them reunite at the end when they get called up.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Takeover was one of the best events I've seen in a long time.....

Bates vs. Dunne was easily MOTY for me thus far (I've only been watching WWE/NXT this year, I know there are better matches out there). *****

The ending had me heartbroken. My favorite tag team in the biz even before they were called DIY. I just loved them for their technical prowess. Their friendship was genuine and it just was a relationship that worked. The heel turn was probably one of the most hurtful for me as a fan. I'm super excited to see their matches to come.....but dammit do I really want to see them reunite at the end when they get called up.

I could see it. While they're good enough to be stars, as singles I think there's a chance they'll go to 205 Live which is death for anybody not named Neville, where as a team they could easily be in the top of their division, which would help them a lot if they ran another break-up down the line. 

This was definitely my favorite Takeover show (or WWE show in general, probably) since R-Evolution. And from a pure workrate perspective, it more or less blows that show away (every match on this card was better than all the undercard matches for that show), it's just really hard in my mind to top a show with as totally perfect a main event as Neville vs Zayn, with a bunch of other solid matches supporting it. But nothing else really comes close, and NXT's television tapings suggest they're keeping the momentum and Brooklyn III is going to be a HELL of a card. Ciampa/Gargano, Itami/Ohno, Roode vs McIntyre and/or Strong, possibly Asuka vs Hojo or Shirai (or Moon, which could still be great, but I don't think she's "ready for Asuka", so to speak). Heavy Machinery vs AoP is whatever but there's still a lot of talent that I haven't even named yet! Eric Young, Nikki Cross, Ruby Riot, Allister Black, Andrade Almas, possible Adam Cole incoming. After a years of being a mediocre but acceptable show with very strong Takeovers, it feels like NXT is just coming back to life and recapturing that magic it used to have. Even without a Sami Zayn to build the show around, the roster is so packed that they can't fit it onto the Takeovers anymore, and you've got a guy like McIntyre doing a squash before the show even starts.