Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
revlongoo

Chris Cornell dead

81 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, Chris7 said:

Looks like it's confirmed suicide now. This is really messing me up today, I feel like someone I personally know died. 

Whats haunting is watching footage from his last show last night, I wonder if he had planned that to be it before the show, or if it was something after the show....his final tweet was an picture of the marquee for the sold out show, and he used the hashtag #NoMoreBullshit

It's a damn shame that it is self-inflicted it sounds like. Dammit, that's awful to have all these things to live for (in our eyes), but he didn't feel the same. :(

Yeah, I was thinking/wondering the same things watching the footage from the show last night, too...

Some interesting stuff on this story about his death: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3580622/chris-cornell-dead-aged-52-suspected-suicide/

In an eerie twist of fate it appears the final song Cornell performed heavily referenced death.

According to the setlist, which was posted online by fans, the final song of the performance was the 1991 classic Slaves And Bulldozers.

But the live version the band had taken to performing midway through contains a refrain from the death fixated gospel song In My Time Of Dying, which was famously covered by Led Zeppelin.

The songs lyrics contain the phrase: "In my time of dying, I want nobody to mourn. All I want for you to do is take my body home. Well, well, well, so I can die easy."

He also updated his Facebook page mere hours before he was found dead to a song Soundgarden released in 2012 called By Crooked Steps.

Along with the clip he posted the lyrics, which now resonate with a renewed poignancy, "I'm the shape of the hole inside your heart."

Many will read into these final public acts which appear to be loaded with symbolism of death as police investigate.

It's just so weird considering how many of his songs seem to be anti-suicide and how much he's talked about friends of his dying young and etc. You wouldn't think he'd go that road.

4 minutes ago, pen said:

It's just so weird considering how many of his songs seem to be anti-suicide and how much he's talked about friends of his dying young and etc. You wouldn't think he'd go that road.

My favorite teacher in high school always would say "suicide is the most selfish thing you can do, never think it's an option." And then a week after the end of school my sophomore year they found him dead at home...suicide...

Just now, Lucas said:

My favorite teacher in high school always would say "suicide is the most selfish thing you can do, never think it's an option." And then a week after the end of school my sophomore year they found him dead at home...suicide...

That's one of the saddest things I've ever heard.

5 minutes ago, pen said:

That's one of the saddest things I've ever heard.

I think about it quite a bit. It really messed a lot of people up who were really close to him as students (I wasn't super close, but we had a good rapport).

Was reading not too long ago where they talked about creative minds and the link to mental illness. Writers and painters often suffer depression, but musicians it was unique and even higher. 

It does make me wonder if heavy touring plays a part in it, especially today. Non-stop on the road, lack of sleep, being away from friends and family for a long period of time; I'm can only imagine this is quite stressful. Though, I wonder how other traveling jobs hold up when it comes to depression and suicide, or maybe the creative mind and mental illness connection is the main factor in this and the heavy touring just pushes musicians to the breaking point.

The news kind of bummed me out all day as I heard about it on the radio on the way to work. I was never a massive fan of Soundgarden, Audioslave, or Temple of the Dog, but have always respected Chris's contributions over the last 25-30 years to rock music. I'd consider him one of the most influential musicians in my mind of all time. 

It's also quite surprising to me how many people in general didn't know who he was. Including most of my coworkers who are in their 20's and 30's. I get that if you're not a rock music fan, you may not know his music, but at least would have heard of the guy. Nope. Most had no clue at all. 

On another note, we really really need to work harder in this country on helping with mental illness. Too many people that were massive influences to millions around the world have taken their own life without any indication to even the people closest to them.

27 minutes ago, Chris7 said:

If this is true, it's even more tragic, because a quick Google search confirms Ativan in high amounts can unmask or supplement suicidal ideation in a depressed person, especially without an antidepressant to counterbalance the effects. 

Makes more sense what happened in that context and sad that once more another death was caused by mismanaged medication. 

Wow, that's possibly a lot more tragic for sure. It's always the damn medications involved. :(

Not to keep dragging this on, because either way it's tragic that he's gone - but I got interested in how common this is with benzos. The kind it is claimed he took, I found this

http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/ativan/suicidal thoughts/

Time on Ativan when people have Suicidal Thoughts *:

• < 1 month: 34.48 %
  • 1 - 6 months: 31.03 %
  • 6 - 12 months: 12.07 %
  • 1 - 2 years: 8.62 %
  • 2 - 5 years: 1.72 %
  • 5 - 10 years: 6.9 %
  • 10+ years: 5.17 %

Age of people who have Suicidal Thoughts when taking Ativan *:

• 0-1: 0.42 %
  • 2-9: 0.0 %
  • 10-19: 8.64 %
  • 20-29: 11.06 %
  • 30-39: 21.18 %
  • 40-49: 24.24 %
  • 50-59: 20.97 %
  • 60+: 13.49 %

While it doesn't look entirely too common that these things cause suicidal thoughts, let alone suicide, it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility that it could have triggered suicidal thoughts in him.

I had a Dr try to give me anti-depressants for off-label use once.  Fuck that noise.  I'd rather live with whatever ails me than mess with any mood-altering drugs.

There's been a lot of covers/tributes done over the past couple of days.  I saw one of Megadeth doing Outshined and Cody Jinks did a country version of Black Hole Sun. 

Yeah, best thing to come out of this is all the interesting covers I've heard. Saw Live cover "I am the highway" - that was cool. 

16 hours ago, RainbowDragon said:

They were opening for Soundgarden on that tour. This is from a Philadelphia radio festival on Saturday.

Damn, that was a performance.

Poor timing and poorly thought out on his part, but I would be lying if I said I didn't have the same thoughts. It is an entirely selfish act, but I think you can say that without pointing fingers and without coming off so judgementally. Although I didn't do it publicly, I have friends and family that also struggle with depression, and I let them know how angry I would be with Cornell if I knew him personally. I do that to remind others that it's a selfish act and to try and get them to consider how their actions can impact other people.